Man accused of killing 2-year-old tur...

Man accused of killing 2-year-old turns self in

There are 89 comments on the Houston Chronicle story from Sep 14, 2006, titled Man accused of killing 2-year-old turns self in. In it, Houston Chronicle reports that:

Jason Barrett, accused of brutally killing his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter, turned himself in Tuesday, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Houston Chronicle.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Ben Reynolds

Lutz, FL

#1 Sep 29, 2006
what is the current status of this case?
J Gregory

United States

#2 Oct 4, 2006
I knew Jason Barrett. He was an extremely nice looking young man with manners. I can't find anything out about this case. I am sorry he made this bad choice for life!
B Smith

Feltham, UK

#3 Oct 8, 2006
"I knew Jason Barrett. He was an extremely nice looking young man with manners. I can't find anything out about this case. I am sorry he made this bad choice for life!"
You are sorry he made this bad choice for his life??? If you are going to be sorry be sorry for that poor little girl and her family who are now probably devastated beyond belief.
GRACE FROM LA

Neenah, WI

#4 Jan 12, 2007
YES THATS RIGHT I HAVE NO SYPHATHY FOR THAT PUNK HE NEEDS TO ROTT IN JAIL FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE
unknown

Kingston, PA

#5 Jan 12, 2007
J Gregory wrote:
I knew Jason Barrett. He was an extremely nice looking young man with manners. I can't find anything out about this case. I am sorry he made this bad choice for life!
Just because somone is goodlooking and has manners does not mean they are not a monster at heart....believe I know and he is a monster to hurt a liile chid and not think anything of it
Open minded

Canada

#7 Jan 12, 2007
Chief Diversity Officer wrote:
In this country, only women can kill children legally.
No women can't kill children legally, however they can terminate a pregnancy. A fetus is not a child until it is born. I'm not saying it is right to have an abortion but there is a difference.
Unknown

Denton, TX

#8 Jan 25, 2007
I dont understand why anyone is saying this! you know nothing about this case and Jason didn't turn himself in.He was only accused and is still on trial! I honestly don't believe that he would ever do this! I've known him for a very ling time and has always had a caring nature for other people, expecially kids.
unknown

Livingston, TX

#9 Dec 17, 2007
What is the current stautus of this case?
J Gregory

Parks, AR

#10 Dec 17, 2007
Some people just can't understand what they read. I didn't say I felt sorry for him nor did I say ANYTHING about him being anything less than a monster. I made a statement that I knew him and what my impression of him was and that he made a bad choice. I am not the judge only God does that. I sincerely feel for the family of the little girl although I don't know how the mother could have made such a bad judgement. Where are your comments about her stupidity and she is just as much the monster if not more. She knew Jason better than any of the people making comments on this site. And how do you know he did not think anything about it! Jason probably thinks about it every day as he awaits trial IN JAIL. This site was abuse by most of the people who just want to sound off and not make good sense.
unknown

United States

#11 Jan 17, 2008
They both are monsters. I hope the mother goes down as well considering she left her child alone that night in the care of her older sister while she partied at another apt. complex down the way from her room! Jason went back to that apt and beat that baby because he is ruthless and was jealous of Madi's father! Her time is coming as well. She should get charged with ABANDONMENT.
unknown

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#12 Feb 7, 2008
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty. I don't know the details but where is the proof that he did this?
unknown

Houston, TX

#13 Mar 10, 2008
Update, I am a very good friend of that little girl's father who by the way is still going through hell and probably always will. They are suppose to go to trial at the end of this month so I'm sure the story will resurface in the news. As for the person who said where is the proof, well the fact that this man turned himself in is enough and the fact that it was his belt buckle that he used to beat the s**t out of that innocent little girl seems proof enough for me. If you had children you wouldn't even be asking that kind of a question. That precious little girl was brutally murdered. I hope everyone keeps her father and his family in their prayers.
kingwood

Anna, TX

#14 Mar 18, 2008
Jason was a dumb ass with a short fuse and did alot of drugs. That was the jason I remember in high school. Have fun in the in prison jason the other inmates love men who kill kids.
Splendora

United States

#15 Mar 26, 2008
Unfortunally everyone gets hurt in this situation--the Mother and relatives of the child--and the Mother and relatives of the person who murdered the child---I just wish all the violence towards each other would end---stop the Killings, stop the Gang fights, stop the wife or husband abuse, child abuse, child molestation, rape, all of it including being predjudist, terrist , war--We need to stop all the violence PERIOD!!!!
RIP Madi

Severn, MD

#16 Mar 31, 2008
When does the trial begin? Has Jason or the family commented? I feel horrible for everyone involved, especially baby Madi. I hope someone will post updates if they hear anything regarding this case. I haven't been able to find any information about this case save for the initial article in the paper. The case has haunted me ever since I read about it. I hope we'll get some answers in the near future. Prayers go out to all involved, especially baby Madi.
TOO SAD

Spring, TX

#17 May 2, 2008
Montgomery County D.A. office ( http://www.co.montgomery.tx.us/da/index.shtml ) said that the March court date was postponed to 6/26.
Bad Situation

Houston, TX

#18 Jun 11, 2008
I have known Jason for a long time now and just don't want to beleive that he's capable of something like this. Not saying that he did or didn't do it...just hard to beleive. I can't wait to hear how the trial turns out....that is if it EVER comes around. I can't beleive it has been almost 2 years with no trial.
S_B_H

Conway, AR

#19 Jun 18, 2008
I knew Jason for a long time he used to date a very good friend of mine. We knew one day he would snap and I'm just sorry it happened to that precious baby. We begged him to get help and at one point he did, but it didn't last long. Maybe now someone will make him get the help he needs.
Closer Please

United States

#20 Jun 19, 2008
What is the deal with this trial? There needs to be some closer on this horrible situation!
unbelievable

United States

#21 Jun 19, 2008
By Jamie Nash
Courier staff
06/19/2008
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
Rhonda Farrington, the paternal grandmother of a deceased 2-year-old girl, said family members were dealt two blows last week when they learned former Montgomery County Assistant District Attorney Mike Seiler was no longer prosecuting the capital murder case and the trial probably would be reset.

Seiler recently was sworn in as the first judge of the 435th state District Court, making him ineligible to prosecute the case of Jason Adam Barrett, 33, who is charged with capital murder of a person under 6 years old, according to the staff of Judge Suzanne Stovall, of the 221st state District Court, where the case will be heard.

Madisyn Farrington already was dead when medics responded to the scene after her mother discovered her motionless and not breathing the morning of Aug. 20, 2006.

The toddler lived in a Porter apartment with her mother, 8-year-old sister and Barrett, who is not her father.

An autopsy showed the toddler died from blunt-force trauma. The older child was not harmed, according to law enforcement.

Barrett surrendered to law enforcement Sept. 12, 2006, and has remained in the Montgomery County Jail without bond. He pleaded not guilty on Nov. 16, 2006.

The new prosecutor is Mike Shirley, who did not return phone calls from The Courier.

The trial was scheduled to begin July 14, but Rhonda Farrington said Shirley told her it probably would be reset for December.

Stovall’s staff said the pretrial hearing was reset for 9 a.m. Friday, when the court will hear motions from defense attorney Mike Aduddell, who was unavailable for comment.

Barrett was no stranger to jail, nor was it the first time the 6-foot-4-inch, 200-pound man was accused of physical violence.

In 2001, he pleaded no contest to aggravated assault, a second-degree felony, and received three years' probation and a $500 fine from a district judge in Houston.

Because Madisyn Farrington was under 6 years old, the charge automatically was enhanced to a capital offense. If convicted, he faces the death penalty or life without parole.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Caney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McDonald's Employee Refuses to Serve Police Off... 1 hr McDonalds Insults... 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Houston Memorial 1 hr Dre S 7
Black lives matter . What about brown lives ? D... 4 hr Jorge 16
Is the Spring Branch area (Pech Road) a safe pl... (Sep '11) 10 hr HTx713 8
White on deck fwm 14 hr faraht 2
Taco Bowls, Taco Bowls, Taco Bowls, Taco Bowls,... 15 hr The Truth 1
Latinas love black men (Aug '15) Wed Who s yo baby Daddy 6

New Caney Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance