Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 71939 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#75289 Jul 15, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont have rabbis. Please stop the master/slave speech. It is hate.`
Any Jew who studies the text for real, learns it in the native language. Translations are for Christians and those who lack Hebrew fluency and therefore can not delve into the meanings with depth. Anyone serious about studying the text does so in the native language
OUTSTANDING:

Frijoles---Most Jews... UNDERSTAND the Hebrew, and therefore the intent

HughBe--- YOU tell me why Chabad has an ENGLISH version of the Tanach if JEWS know Hebrew.

Do NOT dodge as I shall NOT give up on this question.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#75290 Jul 15, 2014
Where is Virgin?

Music time.
Eric

Aurora, IL

#75291 Jul 15, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric--- In the US, the law is what the Supreme Court says it is
HughBe--- Mea culpa, I thought that the legislative arm of the US Government was responsible for making the laws and not the Judiciary.
Over here in tree-dwelling land the judges seek to make rulings based on what they THINK the intentions of the laws are. So, the law is not what the High Court says it is but what the Court THINKS the INTENTIONS of the laws are.
Eric---The Constitution adopted in 1787 is not the Constitution of today. The Constitution of today includes 27 amendments
HughBe--- Tell me which one of the amendments overturned the first constitution and when that occurred. Also explain the reason why the Sodomy laws were still in existence in EVERY state up to 1961 given your assertion above. Go ahead.
All of the above are red herrings. The question is whether you were correct when you said that homosexuality was illegal in most states. The answer is that you were wrong. Homosexuality has been legal in all states since at least 2003. It matters not whether you agree with U.S. law or not. The question is what U.S. law is.

You were wrong HughBe. I gave you the citation to the case. You don't have to agree with the case. But it is what it is.

Why can't you be a man for a change and admit you were wrong.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#75292 Jul 15, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you listen to reason .
1. The Constitution adopted in 1787 is not the Constitution of today. The Constitution of today includes 27 amendments. The decision of the Supreme Court rested on one of those amendments.
2. The decision of the Supreme Court is final. You might not agree with it (but again you have no vote). I might disagree with it (I disagreed strenuously with the decisions earlier this month on contraception). But, the decisions are the law of the U.S. The Supreme Court says that states can't make consensual homosexual acts illegal and that's the way it is.
So when you say that homosexuality is illegal in most states, you are WRONG. When you say that homosexuals are openly flaunting the law, You are WRONG. In the US, the law is what the Supreme Court says it is. And, they have spoken on this subject.
Eric---the law is what the Supreme Court says it is

HughBe--- I see and so that explains the change in the 1986 LAW in 2003. Is the legislative arm aware of the change in the law?

Read and UNDERSTAND. "the Supreme Court UPHELD the constitutionality of sodomy laws in Bowers v. Hardwick in 1986. However, in 2003 the Supreme Court reversed the decision with Lawrence v. Texas, invalidating sodomy laws in the remaining 14 states"
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#75293 Jul 15, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you listen to reason .
1. The Constitution adopted in 1787 is not the Constitution of today. The Constitution of today includes 27 amendments. The decision of the Supreme Court rested on one of those amendments.
2. The decision of the Supreme Court is final. You might not agree with it (but again you have no vote). I might disagree with it (I disagreed strenuously with the decisions earlier this month on contraception). But, the decisions are the law of the U.S. The Supreme Court says that states can't make consensual homosexual acts illegal and that's the way it is.
So when you say that homosexuality is illegal in most states, you are WRONG. When you say that homosexuals are openly flaunting the law, You are WRONG. In the US, the law is what the Supreme Court says it is. And, they have spoken on this subject.
Eric---When you say that homosexuals are openly flaunting the law, You are WRONG

HughBe--- Explain the following, Eric my lawyer friend.

"A dozen states STILL have anti-sodomy laws on the books 10 years after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled they are unconstitutional.

One such state is Louisiana, where gay rights groups contend POLICE have used anti-sodomy laws to TARGET gay men. But state lawmakers sided with religious and conservative groups in refusing to repeal the law last week."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...
Eric

Aurora, IL

#75294 Jul 15, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric---the law is what the Supreme Court says it is
HughBe--- I see and so that explains the change in the 1986 LAW in 2003. Is the legislative arm aware of the change in the law?
Read and UNDERSTAND. "the Supreme Court UPHELD the constitutionality of sodomy laws in Bowers v. Hardwick in 1986. However, in 2003 the Supreme Court reversed the decision with Lawrence v. Texas, invalidating sodomy laws in the remaining 14 states"
Again you are arguing the propriety of the law not what the law is. You were wrong HughBe when you said that homosexuality was illegal in most states. It's been legal in all states since at least 2003.

Next, you now say that at the time of the decision, homosexuality was only illegal in 14 states. Therefore, even in 2003, homosexuality was legal in most states. 36 out of 50. So you were doubley wrong.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#75295 Jul 15, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
I picked this one to respond to.
You are f-----g nuts; or extremely dense.
It is not ****criminally**** illegal to practice homosexuality in the US in any state. That was confirmed just within the last month again. Being arrested is a question of what one police officer decides to do. I dare say if a police officer would arrest someone for practicing consensual homosexuality, the defendant will soon be owning the police officer's house.
The case in Alabama was a non-consenting case. Alabama has no law for man on man rape. So they dragged up an old law on sodomy. Didn't work and the perpetrator was convicted of a much lower offense.
Gay rights is now a ****civil**** law question. It is a question of homes, jobs, medical rights, rights of inheritance, etc. The demonstrations for the right to marry are demonstrations to change civil not criminal law. The demonstrators break no law by asking to change the law. First Amendment right to free speech. They flout nothing illegal. It's not even the civil disobedience practiced by the demonstrators for civil rights in the 1960's.
And each time the matter comes up in court lately, the rights of gay people to marry seem to be upheld.
It's time for you to fess up and admit you were wrong.
Eric---You are f-----g nuts; or extremely dense.
It is not ****criminally**** illegal to practice homosexuality in the US in ANY state.

HughBe--- Indeed you are correct dear Albert and because it is NOT illegal in ANY state we find that---"A dozen states STILL have anti-sodomy laws on the books 10 years after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled they are unconstitutional.

One such state is Louisiana, where gay rights groups contend POLICE have used anti-sodomy laws to target gay men. But state lawmakers sided with religious and conservative groups in refusing to repeal the law last week."

HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#75296 Jul 15, 2014
Rest well, "girls".
Eric

Aurora, IL

#75297 Jul 15, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric---When you say that homosexuals are openly flaunting the law, You are WRONG
HughBe--- Explain the following, Eric my lawyer friend.
"A dozen states STILL have anti-sodomy laws on the books 10 years after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled they are unconstitutional.
One such state is Louisiana, where gay rights groups contend POLICE have used anti-sodomy laws to TARGET gay men. But state lawmakers sided with religious and conservative groups in refusing to repeal the law last week."
First, the Supreme Court is the final determiner of the law. It's been that way since the early 1800's in the case of Marbury v. Madison.

Second, you now state that only 12 states have anti sodomy laws. Therefore you are still wrong. That means homosexuality is legal in most states, 38 out of 50.

Give it up, HughBe. You were wrong. Be a man and admit it.
Lilly_Bedwetter

Jenison, MI

#75298 Jul 15, 2014
I just can't figure out how anyone can tell if a person is a Jew or not, makes no sense.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#75299 Jul 16, 2014
HughBe wrote:
Frijoles---I dont have rabbis.
HughBe--- Correct as they have YOU.
Frijoles--- Please stop the master/slave speech. It is hate.`
HughBe--- Facts are facts, my friend and your rabbis are your masters. A slave is not free to do as he or she pleases and such is the state of those in your religion. Your masters are also deluded and to a point that they believe that they can strip anyone of his or her Jewish identity.
you wanted an example of hate and I gave it to you

why do you post hate?
HughBe wrote:
Frijoles---Any Jew who studies the text for real, learns it in the native language. Translations are for Christians and those who lack Hebrew fluency and therefore can not delve into the meanings with depth. Anyone serious about studying the text does so in the native language
HUghBe--- So Chabad has the English version for those FEW Jews who do not study it for real and of course they are also catering to the Christians Jews and otherwise. I find that their charity has no bearing in TRUTH and reality.
English is just a stepping stone to learning in greater depth

GO and ask a Chabad rabbis - they will tell you this. Chabad's mission is education.

dont bother lecturing us on something you are wrong about as usual

Location hidden

#75300 Jul 16, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
OUTSTANDING:
Frijoles---Most Jews... UNDERSTAND the Hebrew, and therefore the intent
HughBe--- YOU tell me why Chabad has an ENGLISH version of the Tanach if JEWS know Hebrew.
Do NOT dodge as I shall NOT give up on this question.
third time in two days

English is for those that don't know Hebrew. Anyone who really wants to understand Jewish law HAS to learn Hebrew so as to understand the concepts more fully. Any Chabadnik will tell you this

This is the last time I shall waste time on this. Your intellectual stubbornness is an issue you need to grapple with, not us.

moving on
former res

Cheshire, CT

#75301 Jul 16, 2014
Evidence of Huggy's mentality:

1. He continues to cite the words of a founding father from he 18th century with regard to "sodomy" as proof that homosexuality is illegal. Using his logic, slavery would still be the law of the land; child labor too; and black people and women would not be allowed to vote or own land. What a dummy!

2. By his math, 20 is "approximately" 40% of 50. Perhaps according to his savior. I would tend to call 20 exactly 40% of 50.

Back to school for Huggybear!

Location hidden

#75302 Jul 16, 2014
former res wrote:
Evidence of Huggy's mentality:

Back to school for Huggybear!
Up in your alley...(and Volunteerist - if he hasn't been committed yet)

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/16/i_was_poor_bu...
I was poor, but a GOP die-hard: How I finally left the politics of shame
I hated government -- even as it was the only thing trying to save me. Here's how, one day, I finally saw the light

Location hidden

#75304 Jul 17, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Don't get hungry on Sunday.
2. Don't get crushed in the mob waiting for free sandwiches for a year.
I see Jimmy is alive and well. After you read this article, scroll down and read the comments

http://forward.com/articles/201843/jewish-no-... ?
Eric

Aurora, IL

#75305 Jul 17, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I see Jimmy is alive and well. After you read this article, scroll down and read the comments
http://forward.com/articles/201843/jewish-no-... ?
He must have gotten tired of us.

Location hidden

#75306 Jul 17, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text> He must have gotten tired of us.
I get tired of us too

He may reach a wider audience with the Forward. Can you imagine the slightly more sane audience of that publication trying to understand him? That has to be entertaining.
Eric

Aurora, IL

#75307 Jul 17, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I get tired of us too
He may reach a wider audience with the Forward. Can you imagine the slightly more sane audience of that publication trying to understand him? That has to be entertaining.
With Jimmie, Abu and Ganja Man laying low, it's been quiet.
Eric

Aurora, IL

#75308 Jul 17, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>With Jimmie, Abu and Ganja Man laying low, it's been quiet.
or is it Apu.? I was thinking Alladin but it could be Simpsons.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#75309 Jul 17, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>First, the Supreme Court is the final determiner of the law. It's been that way since the early 1800's in the case of Marbury v. Madison.
Second, you now state that only 12 states have anti sodomy laws. Therefore you are still wrong. That means homosexuality is legal in most states, 38 out of 50.
Give it up, HughBe. You were wrong. Be a man and admit it.
Eric---you now state that only 12 states have anti sodomy laws. Therefore you are still wrong

HughBe---- And YOU are RIGHT when you say, "homosexuality is legal in EACH and EVERY state".

Notwithstanding your correctness above, my point that homosexuality is NOT legal in EACH and EVERY state REMAINS and is supported by the following quote----"A dozen states STILL have anti-sodomy laws on the books 10 years after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled they are unconstitutional.

Also, quote my words that say that homosexuality was legal in EVERY state.

PS: continue to dodge questions and explanations that are required of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Canaan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama's Fundraising Trip, Hero Cop Top Week's N... 6 hr jim crow mombach 1
News Area Briefs: Norwalk mayor unhappy with Guardia... (Feb '09) 14 hr Ptw 1,075
Time to disbanded the Norwalk Police Department 15 hr Will 5
News Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens (May '09) Tue Gruden Face 2,634
Riot at Norwalk Beach Mon Robby Rob 1
Remember on Memorial Day 2015 Sun Yina 5
Norwalk Police Department Sun Peggy Sue 1
More from around the web

New Canaan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]