Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
59,901 - 59,920 of 68,368 Comments Last updated 7 hrs ago

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the Golden Rule. Probably something we can all agree on (in some form or another):
Rushworth Kidder notes that the Golden Rule can be found in the early contributions of Confucianism (551–479 BC). Kidder notes that this concept's framework appears prominently in many religions, including "Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and the rest of the world's major religions".[7] According to Greg M. Epstein, "&#8201;'do unto others'... is a concept that essentially no religion misses entirely."[8] Simon Blackburn also states that the Golden Rule can be "found in some form in almost every ethical tradition".[9] All versions and forms of the proverbial Golden Rule have one aspect in common: they all demand that people treat others in a manner in which they themselves would like to be treated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule
From the same source: my Libertarian father-in-law (and ATF would probably agree) prefer
the negative version:
One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated (Negative form, also known as the Silver Rule).
Even that Jesus adapted from the existing Jewish text

Love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.
—Leviticus 19:18

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. That pretty well would rule JC out, anyway you look at it.
Is this why Huggy won't name his religion of choice?
Because it's an ill-defined mishmash [Middle English & Yiddish]?
He wont name his religion because he almost despises his fellow Christians as much as he despises us Jews. See the pattern? Who he really despises is himself.

(hint hint - needs to wear his tights in public more often)

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>I see. That pretty well would rule JC out, anyway you look at it.

Is this why Huggy won't name his religion of choice?

Because it's an ill-defined mishmash [Middle English & Yiddish]?
It's mishmosh. The other is the Anglicization of the Yiddish.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Even that Jesus adapted from the existing Jewish text
Love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.
—Leviticus 19:18
The Sermon on the Mount is a beautiful thing.

The Beatitudes etc. Good stuff.

If not mistaken, isn't Hinduism the oldest religion (still in practice that is)?:

Hinduism[edit]

One should never do that to another which one regards as injurious to one’s own self. This, in brief, is the rule of dharma. Other behavior is due to selfish desires.

—Brihaspati, Mahabharata (Anusasana Parva, Section CXIII, Verse 8)[55]
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
He wont name his religion because he almost despises his fellow Christians as much as he despises us Jews. See the pattern? Who he really despises is himself.
(hint hint - needs to wear his tights in public more often)
It must suck to be him.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
It's mishmosh. The other is the Anglicization of the Yiddish.
Hey, don't I get credit for giving credit?

:))

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, don't I get credit for giving credit?

:))
OK. Half credit.

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>Is this different than arguing about Judaism or anything from the Old Testament?

Fair is fair.
But I'm not arguing about Judaism. I don't argue about Judaism with anyone but Jews.

Judaism might be a myth, but it's MY myth. I don't want to sell it to you. I don't even want you to believe in it.

The day I come to you and say my myth is better than yours and you should believe it, you are free to ridicule and critique my myth.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
The Sermon on the Mount is a beautiful thing.
The Beatitudes etc. Good stuff.
If not mistaken, isn't Hinduism the oldest religion (still in practice that is)?:
Hinduism[edit]
One should never do that to another which one regards as injurious to one’s own self. This, in brief, is the rule of dharma. Other behavior is due to selfish desires.
—Brihaspati, Mahabharata (Anusasana Parva, Section CXIII, Verse 8)[55]
Shamanism is the worlds oldest religion. Though at some level it is debatable when a set of practices are only a set of practices and not an organized religion. However, there is definitely a world view associated with shamanism. Plus, Hinduism is not monolithic either.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, not only is shamanism still practiced (see core shamanism: http://www.shamanism.org/workshops/ ),

but there are even Christian, Jewish and Islamic variants.

Shamanic Christianity: The Direct Experience of Mystical Communion
http://www.amazon.com/Shamanic-Christianity-E...

Magic of the Ordinary: Recovering the Shamanic in Judaism
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Ordinary-Recoveri...

Shamanism and Islam: Sufism, Healing Rituals and Spirits in the Muslim World
http://www.amazon.com/Shamanism-Islam-Healing...
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
But I'm not arguing about Judaism. I don't argue about Judaism with anyone but Jews.
Judaism might be a myth, but it's MY myth. I don't want to sell it to you. I don't even want you to believe in it.
The day I come to you and say my myth is better than yours and you should believe it, you are free to ridicule and critique my myth.
I try not to do that out of respect.(Though on occasion I have slipped.)

If part if someone's belief is to "spread the word" I think that should be respected as well.

You made the following comment:

Rick Moss wrote:

"Arguing the detail of the life and genealogy of Jesus is a little like arguing whether unicorn horns twist clockwise or anti-clockwise. "

My point is that you're casting a stone from a glass house. Your admit your own beliefs are also built on a foundation of sand.

If you don't like being preached to, I understand that. But making fun of the particulars of someone else's myth is hypocritical in my view.

You seem to be saying that Christians by proselytizing, that this gives you carte blanche ridicule their religion.

It's intellectually dishonest at best. It really makes no sense.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Shamanism is the worlds oldest religion. Though at some level it is debatable when a set of practices are only a set of practices and not an organized religion. However, there is definitely a world view associated with shamanism. Plus, Hinduism is not monolithic either.
Didn't say it was.

But you get my point.

Golden Rule etc. It seems no one owns it..

And it's something I actually do believe in. And it seems like common sense too.

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
...You seem to be saying that Christians by proselytizing, that this gives you carte blanche ridicule their religion...
In the words of the great Talmudic scholar, Will Smith,'if you don't start nothin', there won't be nothin'

The moment you start selling your goods you have to expect someone to question or even ridicule their value. Do the makers of Pet Rocks or Whoopie cushions get to cry foul if people say their products are worthless gose?

Those who chose to proselytize need to grow a pretty thick skin if they want to sell in my neighbourhoods.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

The 'Love your neighbor as yourself:' is a childish mitzvah or commandment.

First, you can't command a person to love someone.

Second, this mitzvah or command is only ristricted to your neighbor. What about the others?

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>...Your admit your own beliefs are also built on a foundation of sand...
I admit no such thing. You're in no position to judge my beliefs because you have no idea what they are. I have never chosen to share them with you.

Or, are you one of those folks who 'know' what Jews believe because you read something on Stormfront?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>

You seem to be saying that Christians by proselytizing, that this gives you carte blanche ridicule their religion.
But I would argue that it DOES give carte blanche to comment in turn. And in this particular case, the proselytizing was personal, i.e. directed at us.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
In the words of the great Talmudic scholar, Will Smith,'if you don't start nothin', there won't be nothin'
The moment you start selling your goods you have to expect someone to question or even ridicule their value. Do the makers of Pet Rocks or Whoopie cushions get to cry foul if people say their products are worthless gose?
Those who chose to proselytize need to grow a pretty thick skin if they want to sell in my neighbourhoods.

Fair enough.

And by the same token, those who take pot shots at the beliefs of others will have pot shots taken at their own.

But wouldn't it be better to live and let live?

Or in other words:

The phrase originates from the Sermon on the Mount in the New Testament. In the Gospel of Matthew, an alternative for "an eye for an eye" is given by Jesus:

38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

—Matthew 5:38–5:42 KJV

Your way hasn't worked too well in the world.

These things only escalate and then we all know what happens.

It's enough to give religion a bad name.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
The 'Love your neighbor as yourself:' is a childish mitzvah or commandment.
First, you can't command a person to love someone.
Second, this mitzvah or command is only ristricted to your neighbor. What about the others?
Village idiot

There are loads (I would said buckets) on commentary on that issue of commanding love. Because you are idiot with a chip on your shoulder, it would never occur to you to explore this.

Second, I dont know how more expansive than neighbor, than neighbor could be. Really. Would you feel better if it said love Stefano as yourself. Would that better appeal to your touchy feely ego?

Third, why do you even bother to comment? No one really cares what you think is childish.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
I admit no such thing. You're in no position to judge my beliefs because you have no idea what they are. I have never chosen to share them with you.
Or, are you one of those folks who 'know' what Jews believe because you read something on Stormfront?
You referred to Judaism as a myth, I didn't.(I generally use the term "fairy tales" for religion when I'm feeling snarky!)

myth noun \&#712;mith\

: an idea or story that is believed by many people but that is not true

: a story that was told in an ancient culture to explain a practice, belief, or natural occurrence

: such stories as a group

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myt...

I have not judged your specific beliefs.

But I would be happy to offer a critical, rational review if asked.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Judged:

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
In defense of FR (who can surely hold is own) he is not judging, he is questioning.

The bias he comes from is rooted in Christian secularity, which posits that belief is at the center of everything. Which is obviously counter to how many other religions (such as ours) operate.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent New Canaan Discussions

Search the New Canaan Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for Sharon or Phil Harnett (Nov '12) 17 hr puzzled 31
63-year-old Stamford Motors dealership is sold (Mar '09) 23 hr Les Williams 16
WWE Promotes Stephanie McMahon & John Laurinaitis (Jun '07) Wed amw 8
A deluded consensus on discrimination Mon Drilling for the nerve 2
Ch&#279;ap Kítchen Uníts Jul 18 Anonymous 1
Is Brett Saltus still shooting Heroin? (Feb '13) Jul 18 Charles 20
Many illegal immigrants live in public housing (Jan '09) Jul 17 Amigo 5,605
•••
•••