Readers' most dangerous Greenwich roa...

Readers' most dangerous Greenwich roads - Greenwich Time

There are 21 comments on the Greenwich Time story from Sep 19, 2009, titled Readers' most dangerous Greenwich roads - Greenwich Time. In it, Greenwich Time reports that:

Greenwich Time asked readers to weigh in on the most dangerous intersections and stretches of local road in Greenwich.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Greenwich Time.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
the truth

Delaware, OH

#1 Sep 20, 2009
This article is a joke. There is no such thing as a "dangerous" road in Greenwich, unless you're a sheltered, spoiled nincompoop who has never left the state of Connecticut, let alone traveled outside of a 20 mile radius of Greenwich.
Bully

Danbury, CT

#2 Sep 20, 2009
Brookside Drive intersects with Glenville Road, I don't think Brookfield Drive exists in Greenwich. The only interesting thing in this article is the attempted high drama, the rest is a confusing joke. It is okay though, nobody reads this.
He is all yours

Branford, CT

#3 Sep 21, 2009
Cat Rock Road and Cognewaugh - completely blind turns on both streets, and it's single-car only too at several spots.
Towny

Bronx, NY

#4 Sep 21, 2009
The most dangerous road in Greenwich is the Post Rd US-1. Albeit that it is almost as good as straight a way, there have been many, many fatalities and or otherwise very bad accidents. No other street compares.
Live around the corner

New York, NY

#5 Sep 22, 2009
The roads are not dangerous. It's the DRIVERS! Drivers with cell phones, texting, drinking, loud music, polishing nails, with head colds...and the list goes on. Just take all the stupid drivers off the road....
former res

Broomall, PA

#6 Sep 22, 2009
the truth wrote:
This article is a joke. There is no such thing as a "dangerous" road in Greenwich, unless you're a sheltered, spoiled nincompoop who has never left the state of Connecticut, let alone traveled outside of a 20 mile radius of Greenwich.
This was pretty much my reaction while reading all this. In the 70's I drove a school bus on Cognewaugh and Cat Rock - no problem. All the new stops signs that have been added over the years around town are a real pain in the axs.
He is all yours

Branford, CT

#7 Sep 22, 2009
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
This was pretty much my reaction while reading all this. In the 70's I drove a school bus on Cognewaugh and Cat Rock - no problem. All the new stops signs that have been added over the years around town are a real pain in the axs.
I drove frequently on those roads at that time, and now. Big difference is the size of the cars. The SUVs and minivans take up the entire width of Cog. & Cat Rock; in the "olden days" a woody wagon or family sedan was a good 30-50% less wide, and allowed 2 cars to pass.
former res

Broomall, PA

#8 Sep 22, 2009
He is all yours wrote:
<quoted text>
I drove frequently on those roads at that time, and now. Big difference is the size of the cars. The SUVs and minivans take up the entire width of Cog. & Cat Rock; in the "olden days" a woody wagon or family sedan was a good 30-50% less wide, and allowed 2 cars to pass.
Good point - and driving an 8 ft wide bus - they tended to get out of MY way.
what a world

New York, NY

#9 Sep 22, 2009
Bully wrote:
Brookside Drive intersects with Glenville Road, I don't think Brookfield Drive exists in Greenwich....
You took the words right out of my mouth.
grancat

United States

#10 Sep 22, 2009
it's all the New Yawkers.........rude, rude, rude - and beep your horns again, why don't you?????
Byam road

Warwick, NY

#11 Sep 22, 2009
WHAT ABOUT BYRAM RD CONNECTING TO THE POST ROAD?
In the past month I have seen SEVERAL drivers turning onto route 1 from Byram road and making a left hand turn. ITS A ONE WAY STREET PEOPLE!
Pemberwick Road and Route 1 - People Consistently take the "do not enter" short cut from Pemberwick to route 1
Not to mention the countless accidents that happen daily in both locations.
CTdave

Huntington, NY

#12 Sep 22, 2009
With talk about people using cell phones, I think the police should set an example and put their phones away as well. I've seen plenty of Greenwich officers laughing and chatting while driving across town on Putnam ave.
Construction zones: Why does everyone have to hire police officers to direct traffic except the Town Of Greenwich trucks/workers or Fred Durante? They seem to normally have some bone head making a lame attempt at traffic controll.
han

Warwick, NY

#13 Dec 5, 2009
He is all yours wrote:
Cat Rock Road and Cognewaugh - completely blind turns on both streets, and it's single-car only too at several spots.
If these idiots with there sports cars slow down it would be a safe road
Cognewaugher

Narberth, PA

#14 Jan 4, 2010
My mom lives on Cat Rock and my dad lives on Cognewaugh, I agree that these are very scary roads in the town. In response to the comment that says "This article is a joke. There is no such thing as a "dangerous" road in Greenwich, unless you're a sheltered, spoiled nincompoop who has never left the state of Connecticut, let alone traveled outside of a 20 mile radius of Greenwich"... I don't think the article means "dangerous" in the way you would use "dangerous" in reference to Harlem so even if you're a "sheltered, spoiled nincompoop" a road can still be too windy and narrow to comfortably drive on...Just saying
greenwichman2010

Waterbury, CT

#15 Mar 27, 2010
CTdave wrote:
With talk about people using cell phones, I think the police should set an example and put their phones away as well. I've seen plenty of Greenwich officers laughing and chatting while driving across town on Putnam ave.
Construction zones: Why does everyone have to hire police officers to direct traffic except the Town Of Greenwich trucks/workers or Fred Durante? They seem to normally have some bone head making a lame attempt at traffic controll.
THE ONLY REASON FRED DURANTE DOESNT NEED COPS ON HIS JOBS SITES IS BECAUSE THERE ALL HIS FRIENDS AND HE'S PAYING PEOPLE OFF
I SAY WE STOP HIM FROM PERFORMING WORK IN GREENWICH,FIRST THE ASBESTOS DEAL YEARS BACK,THEN THE CELL ANTENNA NEAR THE SCHOOL, WE GIVE HIM ALL THE WORK IN GREENWICH AND HIS PRICES ARE UNREAL...WE NEED TO RUN HIM OUT OF GREENWICH ONCE AND FOR ALL..HIS FATHER WAS A GREAT MAN BUT THE SON IS CROOK AND IS ONLY WITH THE CHURCH IN RIVERSIDE FOR FREE ADVERTISMENT AND TO RUN THE CARNIVAL...HMM DID U EVER SEE FRED DURANTE AT CHURCH AT ST CATHERINES BEFORE HE BECAME THE HEAD OF THE CARNIVAL? I THINK NOT. OH AND HE DOES ALL THE WORK THEE NOW? THINK HE CHARGES THE LORD? OH YES.. HES A SCUM BAG AND WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO GET HIM OUT.
riverside citizen

Bronx, NY

#16 Jun 7, 2012
greenwichman2010 wrote:
<quoted text> THE ONLY REASON FRED DURANTE DOESNT NEED COPS ON HIS JOBS SITES IS BECAUSE THERE ALL HIS FRIENDS AND HE'S PAYING PEOPLE OFF
I SAY WE STOP HIM FROM PERFORMING WORK IN GREENWICH,FIRST THE ASBESTOS DEAL YEARS BACK,THEN THE CELL ANTENNA NEAR THE SCHOOL, WE GIVE HIM ALL THE WORK IN GREENWICH AND HIS PRICES ARE UNREAL...WE NEED TO RUN HIM OUT OF GREENWICH ONCE AND FOR ALL..HIS FATHER WAS A GREAT MAN BUT THE SON IS CROOK AND IS ONLY WITH THE CHURCH IN RIVERSIDE FOR FREE ADVERTISMENT AND TO RUN THE CARNIVAL...HMM DID U EVER SEE FRED DURANTE AT CHURCH AT ST CATHERINES.
BEFORE HE BECAME THE HEAD OF THE CARNIVAL? I THINK NOT. OH AND HE DOES
ALL THE WORK THEE NOW? THINK HE
CHARGES THE LORD? OH YES.. HES A
SCUM BAG AND WE NEED TO DO
SOMETHING TO GET HIM OUT.
what can we do? i hear hes out of business
riverside citizen

Bronx, NY

#17 Jun 7, 2012
i say we have the irs check him out

Since: Feb 09

Greenwich, CT

#18 Jul 17, 2012
Putnam Ave and Deerfield Dr..

If I'm on Putnam ave and my light has a green arrow and I'm waiting... WAITING for 4 cars to keep running the red light from Deerfield dr. It's crazy and stupid.. I'm close enough to making a call about that so at least the cop knows about red light runners.. and it's not just a one time thing it's almost every day!
uuu

Middletown, CT

#19 Apr 26, 2013
Durante should pay what he owes his workers!!!!
Greenwichresiden t1964

Naugatuck, CT

#20 Nov 16, 2013
Pay his workers? oh please tell me about this one....and we should have the irs look into him...he is not out of business...last year there was an auction we all thought for sure he was gone,,but within2 weeks new trucks,equipment and employees show up...whats up with this?.someone should really contact the irs,news and whoever else is involved...also hear that his family is working there now...hope they arent as crooked as he is

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Canaan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bob Duff didn't see this coming or did he? 1 hr Norwalks deep throat 1
Childcare Recommendations 5 hr annem_13 1
Again the NPD with the Coverup 15 hr Robbie Rob 6
BOYCOTT Oreos and Chips Ahoy! and fig Newtons Tue Norwalks deep throat 2
Duff seen at farmers market in Norwalk sat Tue Norwalks deep throat 3
The Old Black Queen Robtard Tue ffctguitar 5
News Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) Tue Swedenforever 460
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Canaan Mortgages