Robert Hall, Norwalk's prosecutor, to...

Robert Hall, Norwalk's prosecutor, to retire after 33 years

There are 22 comments on the Stamford Advocate story from May 23, 2009, titled Robert Hall, Norwalk's prosecutor, to retire after 33 years. In it, Stamford Advocate reports that:

After 33 years of working out the dispositions of thousands of criminal and motor vehicle cases in the Norwalk state's attorney's office, lead prosecutor Robert Hall announced his retirement last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stamford Advocate.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lorenzo jones

Long Beach, CA

#1 May 24, 2009
With the explosion of violent crime in South Norwalk, I don't blame Hall for getting out. Punks and thugs walk around with guns on their hips, like the Old West, and police do nothing but respond. When they do get aggressive with crime, the self-anointed "black leaders" whine and complain about unfairness. Then those same leaders say the city should do more. What those self-called leaders only want is more city dollars for their pockets, and that is the truth. South Norwalk has happening what Malcolm X said would happen - "the chickens are coming home to roost." There could have been a sports complex built by private dollars on public land that has stood for generations as a derelict park, glass-littered, bums sleeping off whatever hangover they had. But instead, "black leaders" didn't want any white folk thinking they could do anything in a black inhabited area - that was their turf. Well, their turf has remained unchanged, the trash is still there , both on the ground and the thugs walking the streets. And the 'black leaders" have achieved nothing but further increase in crime. Yet they want those dollars. A city is a city, and regardless of who lives where, it doesn't belong to corrupt pols who see areas as their turf. So instead of learning boxing at a sports club, the youth learn street fighting with guns. What really got those leaders was that hockey was going to be taught at the complex, and those racist leaders only wanted basketball. What a pack of hypocrites, who are thugs and thieves themselves. Oh yes, one of the Common council's dingbat mother, some mystic from India, thinks building a garden on the site was the answer. Right. I can just see those gangs now, with green thumbs, competing their rose bushes. And that was the city's answer to the problems.
tired of the crap

Nutley, NJ

#2 May 24, 2009
No wonder there's no other comments here after that rant. Not that the topic isn't valid, but it doesn't have anything to do with the article no matter how you tried to tie it in from the start.

I remember growing up hearing about the voracious prosecution style of Bob Hall. His belief in how the job should be done definitely permeated through other prosecutors coming through that office, for better or worse. Sometimes the treatment of people in the Norwalk court would make me scratch my head. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who appreciate his drive and career, but my opinion is that he would have been even greater if he exhibited more compassion throughout what seems to be his black and white world.
jax

Bronx, NY

#3 May 24, 2009
I thought they fired him years ago.
spj813

Brooklyn, NY

#4 May 24, 2009
There are a lot of criminal defense attorneys who are celebrating this news. And a lot of repeat offenders too.
Former Resident

Cape Coral, FL

#5 May 25, 2009
Isn't doodling your secretary a crime?
Judge Judy

Thonotosassa, FL

#6 May 26, 2009
Bob Hall is scum. He ruined the lives of many people for no reason. His archiac style, cocaine addiction, mood disorders, bi-polar diagnosis, silver white crazy fox style haircut, telling judges to go f-themselves always, making special deals w/ his buddy defense lawyers that he invited to his CINCO DE MAYO parties, corrupting new lawyers and scaring them so that dozens & dozens of them transfered b/c he was a maniac to work for......that is the real story.

Only a scum bag would send a father of children to jail for a no license conviction. That is the real man: no compassion. He is a high and mighty loser. No one will miss him. People will celebrate his departure with parties.

The only question: Will the Absentee Landlord Boss appoint Richie Colangelo to the post? A bob hall troll, who admittedly gave bob hall all the credit in the world for becoming the "lawyer" that he is today. The same lawyer, as Mr. Colangelo proclaimed, that punched out a defense attorney, and went to the hospital with stitches in a bloody soaked suit after the defense attorney hit him back in the old courthouse. Richie: your a loser like your mentor. Are you going to punch out more defense attorneys if you become supervisor? Are you going to have CINCO DE MAYO parties at your home and give your favorite defense attorneys "special deals" ? Maybe you'll become a cocaine addict like your mentor, slam doors, curse everyone out, and scream jail, jail, jail, pounding your little feet in the 5' x 5' pond you call a "job".

HALL and Colangelo should have fired years ago. They're both on medication due to their mood disorders. No one has the guts to actually fire them. Cohen is the laziest boss known to mankind. Let's see if Rocky Hill does the right thing to replace the ego-manic, mood swinging nazi, hall.
You are just bitter

Mount Sinai, NY

#7 May 27, 2009
Clearly Judge Judy, you are either a bitter defendant, an attorney that could not outwit Bob Hall or a lonely sap who has never been invited to his Cinco De Mayo parties. Poor you!
Before you go spouting off about drug addictions,bi-polar disorders and cocaine addictions, you better get a good lawyer. That is slander.
I wonder what your job is or who you are. Clearly, you are too much of a coward to use your real name. Thats just it. You are a coward. If you are a lawyer, I can bet every cent I have that Bob Hall has fogotten more law in the last five minutes than you have ever known. If that's so intimidating to you well then why don't you pick up a statute book and start reading...or is that too much to ask. They are the blue books lines up in the prosecutor's office just in case you have never seen one.
If you are a person that is not invited to the Cinco De Mayo party then I feel sorry for you. It is a hell of a party. Maybe you will be invited some day if they ever let you out of that mental institution you call home. Awww....you think you are Judge Judy...
If you are a defendant, then are you saying that fathers that commit crimes should be treated differently? So special reatment is alright when it suits you? How about this....Follow the law like the rest of us.
As for you talking about Bob as a boss...you could ask any lawyer that has ever worked for him and their answer would be the same. Bob has taught his prosecutors how to be fair and competent. Any of the prosecutors trained under Bob can try any case that comes their way. They are not afraid to try a case in Norwalk...which is more than can be said for some of the private bar.
Most of the people that are afraid to come to Norwalk to practice law have never even stepped foot in the courthouse. They are just too cowardly and would rather hide and shiver behind the myth of the tyrant Bob Hall. Any of his employees will tell he is a loyal boss, a great friend, a brilliant mentor, a learned attorney and a fair prosecutor. He makes sure NOT that every case ends in a conviction but that justice is served.
If you are a criminal...and you liked Bob...I guess he really wouldn't be doing his job now would he?
People do not become a prosecutor to win a popularity contest. By the way, did you ever wonder if people transfer from Norwalk because of the awful commute?
Your rant just proves that you are either a cowardly attorney that cant match Hall's legal abilities or a criminal that can't seem to stay out of trouble, even knowing you may go to jail and leave your kids behind. Is that Hall's fault or yours?
Now go back to your padded room, they are probably looking for you...
Therapy

Waterbury, CT

#8 May 28, 2009
Judge Judy (real nice name) you need therapy! Holy CRAP! is all I can say after reading your rant. Your obviously very disturbed and bitter, maybe even jealous, over Bob. All I can say is, if your really living in Florida, or not, get a life! Do you dwell on everything this much that has nothing to do with you! Its time to move on (and out to pasture) Judy!

Judge Judy wrote:
Bob Hall is scum. He ruined the lives of many people for no reason. His archiac style, cocaine addiction, mood disorders, bi-polar diagnosis, silver white crazy fox style haircut, telling judges to go f-themselves always, making special deals w/ his buddy defense lawyers that he invited to his CINCO DE MAYO parties, corrupting new lawyers and scaring them so that dozens & dozens of them transfered b/c he was a maniac to work for......that is the real story.
Only a scum bag would send a father of children to jail for a no license conviction. That is the real man: no compassion. He is a high and mighty loser. No one will miss him. People will celebrate his departure with parties.
The only question: Will the Absentee Landlord Boss appoint Richie Colangelo to the post? A bob hall troll, who admittedly gave bob hall all the credit in the world for becoming the "lawyer" that he is today. The same lawyer, as Mr. Colangelo proclaimed, that punched out a defense attorney, and went to the hospital with stitches in a bloody soaked suit after the defense attorney hit him back in the old courthouse. Richie: your a loser like your mentor. Are you going to punch out more defense attorneys if you become supervisor? Are you going to have CINCO DE MAYO parties at your home and give your favorite defense attorneys "special deals" ? Maybe you'll become a cocaine addict like your mentor, slam doors, curse everyone out, and scream jail, jail, jail, pounding your little feet in the 5' x 5' pond you call a "job".
HALL and Colangelo should have fired years ago. They're both on medication due to their mood disorders. No one has the guts to actually fire them. Cohen is the laziest boss known to mankind. Let's see if Rocky Hill does the right thing to replace the ego-manic, mood swinging nazi, hall.
Truth be told

Clifton, NJ

#9 May 28, 2009
You'd be surprised how many actual judges would share many of Judge Judy's sentiments. Susan? But, more likely than not, and based on the insider facts the poster is reciting, Judge Judy is a presently- or formally-assigned Norwalk public defender.
You are just bitter

Mount Sinai, NY

#10 May 29, 2009
or a disgruntled prosecutor perhaps...
Dirty Harry

Durham, CT

#11 May 30, 2009
You are just bitter wrote:
or a disgruntled prosecutor perhaps...
Come on Richie Colangelo, do you honestly believe that many people agree with you ? You loved him, but he also trained you to be a maniac. Punching out defense attorneys,punching out defendants, jail, jail, jail for everyone, screaming, cursing, yelling, threatening grievance, etc.....seems to be the common theme with everyone that has worked for Bob Hall. Its sad, because Hall is a brillant guy, but he lacks the compassion and mental stability to become a great lawyer / leader. Why do think he's stuck in that little cess pool, called Norwalk Court? Most of the community hates going there. Most judges look to transfer out of there - Susan Reynold, Barbara Bellis, Richard Comerford, etc...list goes on. Have you ever currently watched Hall berate poor Judge Kaplan and call him names? Its sad. Hall belongs medicated and somewhere else.
Not Richie

Hudson, NH

#12 May 30, 2009
Dirty Harry wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on Richie Colangelo, do you honestly believe that many people agree with you ? You loved him, but he also trained you to be a maniac. Punching out defense attorneys,punching out defendants, jail, jail, jail for everyone, screaming, cursing, yelling, threatening grievance, etc.....seems to be the common theme with everyone that has worked for Bob Hall. Its sad, because Hall is a brillant guy, but he lacks the compassion and mental stability to become a great lawyer / leader. Why do think he's stuck in that little cess pool, called Norwalk Court? Most of the community hates going there. Most judges look to transfer out of there - Susan Reynold, Barbara Bellis, Richard Comerford, etc...list goes on. Have you ever currently watched Hall berate poor Judge Kaplan and call him names? Its sad. Hall belongs medicated and somewhere else.
Oh, interesting, when Mike deJoseph left he was racist like "those other two Judge that got thrown out of there" as was posted soooo many times, now Bob Hall drove them those Judges out! I think "poor little Judge Kaplan" is just fine, sad to see Bob go actually. But as usual on these posts, don't let the real world dictate what you say, ramblings of a madman while fictional are sooo much more interesting, aren't they?
It's clear the Feds need a better vetting process. I can think of one person still bitter he wasn't allowed to play in that 'cess pool' right Judge Judy?
It is Richie C

Shelton, CT

#13 May 30, 2009
Not Richie wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, interesting, when Mike deJoseph left he was racist like "those other two Judge that got thrown out of there" as was posted soooo many times, now Bob Hall drove them those Judges out! I think "poor little Judge Kaplan" is just fine, sad to see Bob go actually. But as usual on these posts, don't let the real world dictate what you say, ramblings of a madman while fictional are sooo much more interesting, aren't they?
It's clear the Feds need a better vetting process. I can think of one person still bitter he wasn't allowed to play in that 'cess pool' right Judge Judy?
Who would want to play in a cess pool ? Only prosecutors that like to punch out other people, slam their feet, screaming jail, jail, jail! The FEDS should investigate all of those prosecutors that make special deals at CINCO DE MAYO parties while high as a kite. Justice isn't served over cocktails, cocaine, and back door deals. Richie Colangelo and Bob Hall are the two biggest offenders out there. Perception becomes realty. the perception of Hall, Colangelo, Dejoseph, and all the thugs that are Hall supporters is that they belong in Bantam, prosecuting Cow Tipping cases.
Attorney Lionel Hutz esq

Hebron, CT

#14 May 30, 2009
THIS is an OUTRAGE !!!!
You are just bitter

Mount Sinai, NY

#15 Jun 2, 2009
What I meant to say is that you are OBVIOUSLY a disgruntled FORMER prosector. You weren't very compassionate yourself as a prosecutor were you?You were "asked to leave" werent you?? Hmm...jealousy is ugly on you!
Cool Justice

Shelton, CT

#16 Jun 4, 2009
You are just bitter wrote:
What I meant to say is that you are OBVIOUSLY a disgruntled FORMER prosector. You weren't very compassionate yourself as a prosecutor were you?You were "asked to leave" werent you?? Hmm...jealousy is ugly on you!
Keep punching out the competition, Richie. Your a real winner. Bare knuckle fights at the SA office, get your ringside seats! What a laugh. What in Gods name are you talking about? Former Prosecutor. Ha! Nice try. Why would anyone be jealous of being JACK IN THE BOX, giving oral favors all day.
Night Watch

Hesperia, CA

#17 Jun 12, 2009
I do not live in Norwalk CT. but I do live in Norwalk Ca., and these comments of this judge, I honestly cannot make any of my own, but I'll say this just happen on 06/10/09 where a judge and city attorney actually put a woman in jail for 73-days and her only crime? if you wish to able it a crime, more so city code, she had a hose going through her window from her washer, but was cited with a warning, thereafter apparently she was ticketed for the same, but as witness state, they never proved the water did come from her house, but anyway,and in the midst of the court they were going to take her child into custody, also,in addition after stating to the judge that though she is totally financially bottom out and with 5-children and that she made some payments of $30.00, the court said NO! we want it all NOW or you go to jail,But there was something good out of this, someone in the court came forward and payed the fine she was unable to pay, so she got released about 30-minutes later after the $700.00 was posted, and you think you have problem in that court about being sensitive? what are these court or judges as city attorneys coming too; it's all about money/ this woman just allowed water to run out of her window as they put it/ what if she would have committed a felony, God what would they have done to her then???
John Ponz

United States

#18 Sep 30, 2011
Compassion does not necessarily mean hugging Defendants or Defense Counsel. Hall may have been gruff,, but he was even handed with his offers.
abolish the fed

United States

#19 Oct 8, 2011
John Ponz wrote:
Compassion does not necessarily mean hugging Defendants or Defense Counsel. Hall may have been gruff,, but he was even handed with his offers.
what did he have to offer? Sickening these lets make a deal prosecutors.
abolish the fed

White Plains, NY

#20 Oct 8, 2011
He did help me out when I was busted for DUI that time I was driving naked ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Canaan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans are filthy scum 11 hr KOOK ALERT 8
Ct Courts,Malloy+ Duff budget means 600 layoff... 11 hr KOOK ALERT 3
101,970 individuals, in Fairfield County live ... 11 hr KOOK ALERT 2
Ct slashes growth data DUFF IS WRONG poor perfo... 11 hr KOOK ALERT 15
News City man charged in Stamford hate stabbing 17 hr david traversa 1
News Rilling Unveils 'The Sound Of Connecticut' As N... Mon KOOK ALERT 4
sports authority in Norwalk closing Mon KOOK ALERT 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Canaan Mortgages