Before the Downfall of a Priest, a Fo...

Before the Downfall of a Priest, a Fondness for the Good Life

There are 19 comments on the New York Times story from Jul 8, 2006, titled Before the Downfall of a Priest, a Fondness for the Good Life. In it, New York Times reports that:

The Rev. Michael Jude Fay had his hair highlighted each spring at a local salon at prices of $85 or more, his hairdresser said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Times.

Shocked Catholic

Marion, CT

#1 Jul 9, 2006
It's been reported that both Bishop Lori and Anthony Cernera President of Sacred Heart University attended the gala anniversary celebration held by the Rev. Fay at the Pierre--a five star hotel in NYC in 2003. If true, these "morality minders" owe every Catholic in Fairfield County an explanation.
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#2 Jul 9, 2006
Shocked Catholic wrote:
It's been reported that both Bishop Lori and Anthony Cernera President of Sacred Heart University attended the gala anniversary celebration held by the Rev. Fay at the Pierre--a five star hotel in NYC in 2003. If true, these "morality minders" owe every Catholic in Fairfield County an explanation.
I agree totally with you. This kind of grand lifestyle is endemic among the clergy in our Catholic Church. If you want to know a good priest, he will be a poor priest who has been given the least desirable parish assignment in the whole diocese. For an upper read the book "Parish Priest" by Douglas Brinkley and Julie Fenster. It is about Fr. Michael McGivney, a Connecticut priest (1852-1890) It should be required reading for every priest. MM
Shocked Catholic

Marion, CT

#3 Jul 9, 2006
Yes, Father McGivney was a true people's priest. I believe he also founded the Knights of Columbus, a national Catholic fraternal organization responsible for delivering spiritual and financial help to people of all faiths. As to the situation in CT, the prior Bishop of Bridgeport, Egan, has been accused of sheltering numerous pedophile priests over the years of his tenure as Bishop of Bridgeport. Promoted to Cardinal, Egan now enjoys all the considerable perks of the New York scene from his mansion on Madison Avenue.
Minnesota Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree totally with you. This kind of grand lifestyle is endemic among the clergy in our Catholic Church. If you want to know a good priest, he will be a poor priest who has been given the least desirable parish assignment in the whole diocese. For an upper read the book "Parish Priest" by Douglas Brinkley and Julie Fenster. It is about Fr. Michael McGivney, a Connecticut priest (1852-1890) It should be required reading for every priest. MM
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#4 Jul 9, 2006
Shocked Catholic wrote:
Yes, Father McGivney was a true people's priest. I believe he also founded the Knights of Columbus, a national Catholic fraternal organization responsible for delivering spiritual and financial help to people of all faiths. As to the situation in CT, the prior Bishop of Bridgeport, Egan, has been accused of sheltering numerous pedophile priests over the years of his tenure as Bishop of Bridgeport. Promoted to Cardinal, Egan now enjoys all the considerable perks of the New York scene from his mansion on Madison Avenue.
<quoted text>
Yes, I again agree with your remarks. I am reminded that it was Judas who was so concerned about the poor. We keep hearing about "the Poor, the Poor" from the pulpits. A lot of these priests and bishops are poverty pimps working not for the poor but for themselves. The only way to clean them out is to have the money dry up. When there is no longer a "good life" in the Church the parasites will leave the host plant. MM
moonstone

Mahone Bay, Canada

#5 Jul 9, 2006
Shocked Catholic wrote:
Yes, Father McGivney was a true people's priest. I believe he also founded the Knights of Columbus, a national Catholic fraternal organization responsible for delivering spiritual and financial help to people of all faiths. As to the situation in CT, the prior Bishop of Bridgeport, Egan, has been accused of sheltering numerous pedophile priests over the years of his tenure as Bishop of Bridgeport. Promoted to Cardinal, Egan now enjoys all the considerable perks of the New York scene from his mansion on Madison Avenue.
<quoted text>
It looks like one of the faithful got caught with his hand in the cookie jar....but my question is,*why did it take so long to wake the good people of the church,* esp. when he should have had NO involvement with church funds at all, surely they could have smelled a rat long before all the cheese was gone!! Why is the man not in jail at this moment , did the church not press charges and just let him walk out the door a free man??
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#6 Jul 9, 2006
moonstone wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks like one of the faithful got caught with his hand in the cookie jar....but my question is,*why did it take so long to wake the good people of the church,* esp. when he should have had NO involvement with church funds at all, surely they could have smelled a rat long before all the cheese was gone!! Why is the man not in jail at this moment , did the church not press charges and just let him walk out the door a free man??
Try to go back and find some of the original articles on this case. The bishop chastized Fr. Madden, the associate pastor, for hiring private eyes to investigate Fr. Jude Fay. Fr. Madden was put on leave from the parish. He jumped the chain of command by not going to the bishop first. Ten will get you one, the bishop would have done nothing other than to tell Fay to watch it. You raise some good questions Moonstone. I'd like to know the answers too. MM
moonstone

Mahone Bay, Canada

#7 Jul 10, 2006
Minnesota Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to go back and find some of the original articles on this case. The bishop chastized Fr. Madden, the associate pastor, for hiring private eyes to investigate Fr. Jude Fay. Fr. Madden was put on leave from the parish. He jumped the chain of command by not going to the bishop first. Ten will get you one, the bishop would have done nothing other than to tell Fay to watch it. You raise some good questions Moonstone. I'd like to know the answers too. MM
Thank you Mary, that would be great if you could find out more on the case.
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#8 Jul 10, 2006
moonstone wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Mary, that would be great if you could find out more on the case.
If you get on Google and search under the name "Rev. Michael Jude Fay" you will find all kinds of articles written about the case and also about Fr. Madden. MM
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#10 Jul 10, 2006
Jay Tee wrote:
I used to live across the street from the Holy Family church in Fairfield, where Father William Donovan was the priest. He appeared to be living a huge lie- using church money to throw parties with homosexual overtones. I used to hear all about it from people associated with the church, and how they would bring in homosexual body builder types from New York City as 'guests of honor'.
This group of people were all quite amused with themselves for getting away with it.
I saw Father Donovan in a 'falling down drunk' state on several occaisons, and one time he was making repeated inappropriate advances towards some young man(who was politely refusing him). He got something like 3 DUI's and there were allegations that he had had sex with an underage parishoner.
What a joke this church was during his tenure. If only the people knew. The clergy has been partly taken over by sexually active young gay men who could care less about their responsibilities, they just want to party.
I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, but I've seen it with my own eyes. I also hear from people that it is still going on at other catholic churches.
Jay Tee, you have not offended me. You are absolutely right, and the story you tell is being repeated in many parishes and even in seminaries. What I find so appalling about the Jude Fay case is that the emphasis is on the fact that he stole from the parish coffers instead of the fact that he was living a lie, a double life as an active homosexual. And all the while he was breaking his priestly vows of celibacy and he was continuing to say Mass. This man was/is in grave, mortal sin. The bishop doesn't seem to be upset by that--only the investigation of embezzlement. It blows my mind what is going on within the Church. I can't understand how the bishops can be so tolerant of broken vows and mortal sins, and scandal to the Church. Their concern is about guess what? THE MONEY!!!! The only way the church will get cleaned up is if the money dries up. MM
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#12 Jul 10, 2006
Jay Tee wrote:
I shouldn't have said 'what a joke the church was' during Fay's tenure. I'm sure the church is full of good people and will continue to be.
What I find amazing is the degree to which the church has been infiltrated with active homosexuals. I know some gay men who know both Fay and Donovan, and when I talk to them about the situation, they just see homophobia on my part. It's inconceivable to them that someone would ever dare criticize a gay lifestyle. Oddly, they fail to realise that I'm pointing to the broken vows and the misleading of the parishoners, and the misuse of their money.
Jay Tee, yes the church still has many good people, but the incidence of evil ones is very large and they go continue to act out inappropriately and preach heresy. We know from the Catechism of the Catholic Church that the Church will undergo a terrible time of trial in which there will be a falling away, a massive apostacy from truth. I think we are seeing that now, as there are so many homosexuals and heretics running things in the Church, and they do so with impunity.

Section 675 of the Catechism states:

Before Christ's second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostacy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies hmself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.

I am a believer, and I find myself shaken a good deal of the time. Thanks for reading. MM
Ann in Boston

AOL

#13 Jul 29, 2006
Since there are many priests with the name FAY, I'd like to know more about the background of this one. I have one in mind that was briefly in the Boston area...and spent a short time in Needham. I hope it is not him. Can anyone tell us more about the one accused.
Shocked Catholic

West Hartford, CT

#14 Aug 9, 2006
Ann in Boston wrote:
Since there are many priests with the name FAY, I'd like to know more about the background of this one. I have one in mind that was briefly in the Boston area...and spent a short time in Needham. I hope it is not him. Can anyone tell us more about the one accused.
I believe Jude Fay served as a priest in St. Aloyousious Parish in New Canaan, CT before becoming pastor at St. John in Darien around 1994.
zoompad

Woodley, UK

#15 Sep 8, 2006
Too many vain upper class twits. Perhaps God will punish his vanity by making all his hair fall out. I hope so.

Since: Jun 14

Stratford, CT

#16 Aug 31, 2014
I also hope so.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#17 Sep 1, 2014
Sir Samuel wrote:
I also hope so.
Ö..and the selfishness goes on, notably by the gay meth head priest in bridgeportÖ. sickening.
And although not catholic, by a minister in Stratford, who was stealing large sums of money from dying parishioners.
Itís ironic that the priests and ministers turn out to be the least ethical, when itís they who are supposed to be the most ethical. Society has truly lost itís way. Thanks for dredging this old thread up, Samuel.

Since: Jun 14

Stratford, CT

#18 Sep 1, 2014
You are welcome. The gay meth priest is still in the news.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#19 Sep 3, 2014
I bet the Halloween parties over there were interesting!

Since: Jun 14

Stratford, CT

#20 Sep 13, 2014
You should know.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#21 Sep 14, 2014
Sir Samuel wrote:
You should know.
Maybe you could get one of those priests to share a bed with, so you could be warm.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Canaan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Funds to pay for Marina Village cleanup 5 hr America Gentleman... 2
News Bridgeport woes, Greenwich riches tell tale of ... 16 hr WorkAvoider 4
News Central Middle School changes principals less t... (Aug '09) 16 hr Liska 13
News Q&A with... Dr. Wendy Wolfson, a board-certifie... Nov 17 humanspirit 1
Stamford author's debut novel explores brain in... Nov 15 ajpbooks 1
What local lawyer sued his mother? Nov 14 johnedwards1991 1
News Gibbs College campus will be shut down (Feb '08) Nov 14 Ree 113

New Canaan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Canaan Mortgages