63-year-old Stamford Motors dealershi...

63-year-old Stamford Motors dealership is sold

There are 16 comments on the Stamford Advocate story from Mar 14, 2009, titled 63-year-old Stamford Motors dealership is sold. In it, Stamford Advocate reports that:

After 63 years of operation, the Kelly family plans to sell the Stamford Motors dealership Monday to its general manager.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stamford Advocate.

LVTfan

Morristown, NJ

#1 Mar 15, 2009
The landlord will probably be the winner in this one.

Landlords usually are. They collect rent, whether business is good, or business is bad, mostly for the locational value, and then, when the property has ripened, they sell it for large multiples of what they paid for it.

Meanwhile, the city collects relatively low taxes on the property.(The tenant usually pays them, but they represent a reduction of the net rent the landlord receives. The tenant bears the risk that they might rise during the lease; the landlord is exempted. Neat trick, isn't it?)

The landlord will have a fine income, mostly from the rent on the property, and, as the assessor notes, the value is not in the buildings but in the land.

And the owner of the land, even if he has owned it for decades, as this one apparently has, did not make that land valuable. He did no more -- and no less -- than any of the rest of us.

WE made it valuable. By our presence; by our need for land (particularly for large parcels of it -- how many other properties do we have which are large enough for, say, a GROCERY store from some other chain than S&S or Shop Rite?-- wouldn't another alternative be a fine idea? Fairway, sure, but would wanting 4 competitors for our trade be asking too much?;, by our spending on paving, plowing, city water and sewer and stormwater runoff and all the other services which raise the value of our land; etc. Federal and state spending make this land valuable too.

So why does one fellow, who held it for 30+ years, get to retire on the income from the land?

Mostly because we have structured our system to provide lovely windfalls for those who own land, particularly good chunks of it, paid for by the rest of us.

Do you think this might have something to do with our screwed up economy? I do.
RICO

Morristown, NJ

#2 Mar 15, 2009
The new owner will not last long.The property will go vacant and the Kelly family will sell it.The time line--sooner,rather than later.
former stamford resident

Leesburg, FL

#3 Mar 15, 2009
That`s life as we know it. The landlord always wins, as long as they have a tenent to pay the rent. Stamford Motors has been around for as long as I can remember. I remember the fire too. I wish the new owner well. Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, has always been a good seller.
America First

United States

#4 Mar 15, 2009
RICO wrote:
The new owner will not last long.The property will go vacant and the Kelly family will sell it.The time line--sooner,rather than later.
Rico, instead of wishing gloom & doom on someone, how about wishing the new owner an offer of good luck and success? It appraes you may have some stake in their demise?

This had to have been a tough decision for the new owner to make in these tough economic times. Be thakful it remains an American brand on the building and he didn't bring some foreign brand to the marketplace. Not something we would need rtight now.
Abolish The Fed

Port Jefferson, NY

#5 Mar 15, 2009
Welcome to the free market place.

How about a drive in movie theater, anyone?
former stamford resident

Leesburg, FL

#6 Mar 15, 2009
Abolish The Fed wrote:
Welcome to the free market place.
How about a drive in movie theater, anyone?
There`s one for sale down here. Interested?
Crash and Burn

Morristown, NJ

#7 Mar 15, 2009
"America First" needs to go back to school and learn to spell.
I know RICO aand many like him/her.
A realist.
Frijoles

Seymour, CT

#8 Mar 16, 2009
LVTfan wrote:
So why does one fellow, who held it for 30+ years, get to retire on the income from the land?
Mostly because we have structured our system to provide lovely windfalls for those who own land, particularly good chunks of it, paid for by the rest of us.
Do you think this might have something to do with our screwed up economy? I do.
I agree. Therefore we must seize the land, give it to the STATE, institute a re-education program to all the bourgeoisie and institute a command and control economy, and finally, separate the elite from the means of production. Good solution LVT.
Vox Pop

Salem, CT

#9 Mar 18, 2009
Abolish The Fed wrote:
...How about a drive in movie theater, anyone?
Can you say Starlite?
How many of your friends could fit in the trunk?
A '59 Ford Galaxie 500 was roomy for two.
It was quite a hub of "activity" for many years,
when Shippan Avenue before Magee was "the strip" in Stamford, and it rocked.
Genovese Steak House?
Kiddyland?
Luigi's By the Sea?
Chico Vejar's miniature golf?
Carvel?
Al's Dog House, later JoAnn's?
Shippan Diner, later Good Guys?
Abolish The Fed

Port Jefferson, NY

#10 Mar 19, 2009
Vox Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you say Starlite?
How many of your friends could fit in the trunk?
A '59 Ford Galaxie 500 was roomy for two.
It was quite a hub of "activity" for many years,
when Shippan Avenue before Magee was "the strip" in Stamford, and it rocked.
Genovese Steak House?
Kiddyland?
Luigi's By the Sea?
Chico Vejar's miniature golf?
Carvel?
Al's Dog House, later JoAnn's?
Shippan Diner, later Good Guys?
Sweet memories Vox Pop, that was when a dollar was a dollar!
Vox Pop

Salem, CT

#11 Mar 19, 2009
Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet memories Vox Pop, that was when a dollar was a dollar!
So true.
Ford Guy

Pleasanton, CA

#12 Mar 21, 2009
There's a blast from the past. Most people don't know what I'm talking about when I bring those names up. Who would of thought I would be working here 40 years later?
Thanks to all of you well wishers out there and Rico, all I can say is it will not be easy, but I am glad we are selling Ford and not any of the other brands. We're Back!
Gordon Shumway

Wallingford, CT

#13 Mar 22, 2009
Ford Guy wrote:
There's a blast from the past. Most people don't know what I'm talking about when I bring those names up. Who would of thought I would be working here 40 years later?
Thanks to all of you well wishers out there and Rico, all I can say is it will not be easy, but I am glad we are selling Ford and not any of the other brands. We're Back!
Bravo! Blue Oval Proud.
Vox Pop

Salem, CT

#14 Mar 22, 2009
Ford Guy wrote:
Hang in there! One of my late uncle's brothers was a
mechanic at Stamford Ford for many years.
Be Positive

Brooklyn, CT

#15 Mar 22, 2009
RICO wrote:
You sound like a disgruntled ex-employee or a very bitter individual who can't wish a new business owner well!
As noted in the press, Ford is the only company that did not ask for "bailout money" from our government, and I for one view that as a positive sign in this poor economy!
I wish Mr. Franchella great success and hope his belief in the company will encourage consumers to consider his new venture when purchasing a vehicle!
Good luck!
Les Williams

Union City, NJ

#16 Jul 23, 2014
former stamford resident wrote:
That`s life as we know it. The landlord always wins, as long as they have a tenent to pay the rent. Stamford Motors has been around for as long as I can remember. I remember the fire too. I wish the new owner well. Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, has always been a good seller.
In what year and month was the fire?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Canaan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lamont and Bysiewicz bring their campaign to a ... 8 hr Gavone 6
Is Brett Saltus still shooting heroin 19 hr Harvey 1
Gangstalking- Connecticut and Beyond (Mar '09) Wed mom 140
News Stamford Twilight League had a glorious history (Sep '09) Tue Dick 11
News Critics: Democratic ticket lacks diversity May 21 BPT 9
News MPP still pushing for CT scanner (Sep '09) May 15 Green-party-platform 22
News Westport cops: 2 arrested after shoplifting com... May 14 Daniels Conscience 8

New Canaan Jobs

Personal Finance

New Canaan Mortgages