Hope Chapel parishoners sue ex-pastor, church for investment fraud

Full story: Daily Breeze

Also named in the lawsuit, filed this week in Los Angeles Superior Court, is the church itself - the plaintiffs say leaders told them it would be "un-Christian" to sue, among other allegations - and its denominational body, the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel based in Los Angeles.
Comments
321 - 334 of 334 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2014
First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Proverbs6

Centereach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

When a Google search for my old church revealed this post about a NJ church on a Beverly Hills forum, I was surprised, and further stunned by the slanderous content.

But I must set the record straight. No one "owns" Fellowship Chapel, and no one has been deceived at Fellowship Chapel. During my attendance at this church I came to know many of those in leadership, including Mr Murachanian, and can attest to their dedication and service, which was not self serving in any way.

To see their tireless efforts dragged through the mud by a malcontent is very disturbing, and serves as a reminder to beware of outrageous gossip, for one of the things the Lord hates is "A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren."

I pray that Mike's bitter heart will be restored through the love of Christ.
Mike wrote:
The church is a safe haven for criminals. Many turn to the church at a time of need to be intercepted by low life con artists.
Edward Murachanian (his office is convienantly located outside a retirement community) an attorney in Brick Township New Jersey Ocean County runs a scam out of Fellowship Chapel in Point Pleasant Beach New Jersey.
When I was going to reveal his scam I was assaulted by his partner in crime Richard Maranitz 170 Duchess Lane Brick, NJ. Maranitz is an internet ordained pastor. http://tcolw.tripod.com/id18.html
They have practiced the art of deception to deceive church members for years.
Report any information of church fraud to the FBI in Washington DC.
LBJ

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

I heard that Hope Chapel had something to do with the Bankrupted the North Redondo Chapel on MacKay and Vail now a Synagog. Does anyone know if this is true and did Zac have a family member that was involved?
LBJ

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

I went to Hope Chapel in the 80s and remember when Ralph Moore made Zac pastor. Back then one of the services was meeting at Mara Costa and I attended all services at that time and remember hearing Ralph Moore promote Zac each time with more audacious embellishment as to how much Zac was giving up to serve. Moore said that Zac made 350k a year selling Amway; somehow he later became a pharmacist (I forget the evolution of the stories). I wonder has anyone every researched who this guy really is and where he comes from? Was he ever a pharmacist? Moore is not so great as some unjust here – he is another Pentecostal, worldly and false teacher. If you got saved in this false religion God will get you out. Perhaps this is how he had to get some of you out!
IDF/Mossad connections…? Hope Chapel also has some connection with "Hope for Israel" which is headed by an Israeli military man. Why do foreign military people want access/influence into nutty Pentecostal religions?(Just a thought – maybe they are just Jews looking for answers at Hope Chapel, lol) Or maybe their crime network is bigger than Hope Chapel.
Tho

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2011

Hope Chapel - Hawaii wrote:
Ralph is not wanting to get his hands dirty here in Hawaii. Good people are leaving, no accountability of the pastors.
Would like more information what happen.
Or any information on his son Carl and wife.
Can seen me emails to jim.james55 hotmail
Are you saying the same corruption issues are in Hope Chapel Hawaii?
Uma

Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2011

Does anyone know where in Asia these people have located? How does the scam work?
LBJ

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2011

RB Mom wrote:
What happened to the lawsuit?
I guess this thread has died out, but if you ever got the answer to what happened with he law suit and money, please post again.
Disillusioned

Corona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2012

Grounded Christian 35 yrs wrote:
<quoted text>Yes my friend they tried doing that and the Church continued to lie and deny... That is grounds for a lawsuit... After all Pastor Zac sued associate Pastor Meg Crowley for taking money from the church and she spent a few years in jail for it.. That was ok for him to do to her but now something has changed? He is caught with his churches hands in the cookie jar but it's not ok to sue! Sorry that is not how God works... I spent 2o yrs. at that church i know better....
Actually, Zac explained that the only way to recoup the hundreds of thousands Meg stole, via their insurance company, was to file a police report. The church protects molestors, ostracizes those that dont play the game and go along to get along, and promotes people to pastoral positions who have no business in leading a flock, its sad because there were so many good people there, true beloevers who would give you the shirt off their back, unfortunately they care more about catering to the money seats (ie the South Bay rich beach city goers), with their surf ministries and camping ministries and ladies workout ministries and skateboard ministries, than mimicking the Word. It is a shadow of its former self, remember "called to grow" back in the 80's? They raised all that money to buy Lucky's then discovered oh wow, cant move in. Yet they kept the money, of course.
My local church is patterened on the Hope model, fledging church, outgrew the building, raised a ton of money under the same guise (called to grow), people sacrificed, they gave diligently, the church moved into temporary quarters, while shopping for a new church site to build on, spent 3 years "looking", moved right back where they started, and who knows where the money went.
Church growth movements have destroyed the church in America, its all about growing the business, a den of thieves. People are secondary to that. How sad. And I knew Meg and Guy also, they are tame compared to others in that church, rob your child's innocence, or 500,000, which is worth more?
Blah

Corona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2012

Judged:

Mike Maffe was always a loud mouthed punk in that church.
Janet Coen

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

We were there and bought one of those 50 gallon water tanks. Thank heavens we never HAD to use it, but am glad that we were ABLE to purchase it for a mere $50- a drop in the bucket, so to speak.

About Mike Maffe [since you are bold enough to name names]is a man of integrity, educated and thoughtful. I attended many of his lectures and never once felt like he was trying to pull any wool over out eyes and sell us wooden nickles.

We all we shocked and sad to learn of Meg's fall from grace and now that everything is said and done I hope she has been rehabilitated, restored and well received now that she has been held accountible.

One great thing about Hope Christian Church is it is truly a community of people who honestly do their best to love God and others.
A Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me clarify, I was at that seminar also. There was no "imminent threat of Y2K" kind of talk there. The media was touting the threat so much - and did a great job of scaring people. HC used the opportunity for educating people how to be prepared for any kind of disaster (ie earthquakes). I do not recollect noticing anyone being scared out of the wits at the seminar either. Purchasing a 55gal drum (it was pretty cheap too) to store water is not such a crazy idea living here.
Janet Coen

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

There is no scam.

The folks who have traveled abroad are most likely there for genuinely good reasons.
Uma wrote:
Does anyone know where in Asia these people have located? How does the scam work?
Chris 1992-3

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

HOPE CHAPEL WAS POPULATED WITH PERPETRAITORS OF EVIL. THEY ALMOST CAUSED MY SON A "MENTAL BREAKDOWN". THEY CARRIED BIBLES, WENT OUT ON THE STREETS IN WESTWOOD AND APPROACHED YOUNG MEN, WHO WERE CLEAN CUT AND NOT AWARE OF AN "EVIL GOD OR EVIL SCHME". THEY SAID "WORDS OF FEAR" "HELL" AND "DAMNATION" TO THEM TO THE POINT OF SATURATING THEIR PURE CONSCIOUSNESS WITH "DARKNESS AND EVIL".
MY SON IS STILL SUFFERING TO THIS DAY BECAUSE OF THEM.
I was at an evening meeting, when I heard them laughing and giving their "testimony" of how they "frightened" young people. I wanted to go up and SLAP them, but I walked out, never to return myself. I sought counseling for my son, but could NOT find one CHRISTIAN COUNSELOR WITH INTELLIGENCE
NOR THE MANNER IN WHICH TO "UNDO" THE HARM THAT WAS DONE BY THOSE "IGNORANT" MEN to the young people on the streets in Westwood. I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO THE PRESS, GOTTEN AND ATTORNEY AND FIXED THE CASE GETTING REWARD AND LIKE THE CATHOLIC THAT TURNED AT A LATER DATE TO SUE, IT MAY NOT BE TOO LATE YET. YES, IT HAS BEEN YEARS, BUT THE DAMAGE STILL EXISTS...MENTAL, EMOTIONAL FEAR AND HATE FOR CHRISTIANITY...AND ME THE MOTHER BECAUSE I DIDN'T TAKE STEPS THAT MY SON THINKS I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN. ANOTHER WRONG TEACHING "TURN THE OTHER CHEEK"...Well, I have learned it doesn't mean to turn the other cheek to be BEATEN DOWN".
IF THERE ARE OTHERS WHO EXPERIENCED THIS, PLEASE POST YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS. WE MAY HAVE A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT...EVEN NOW!
Jannet

Arcadia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Even though Meg is Christian and she stole from her church community and employer, her crime wasn't about religion or faith- it was about greed and it breeched more than our trust.
Sickened Christian

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2014

Judged:

It was discovered while Zac was only serving as a counselor, that Winton and Shirley Baker, were running a daycare center from their home in Manhattan Beach. Ralph was the first-person to be told and subsequently, Zac. Zac was to "manage" the situation as Ralph did not want to "get his hands dirty" with the matter for the Bakers, were personal friends of the McMartin family, also located in Manhattan Beach. REMEMBER THEIR NAMES? They were the largest sexual molestation case of the late 70's and early 80's.
Zac met with Winton and his wife, Shirley, ONLY ...
Chris Cannon, ALSO, DIRECTLY KNEW OF WINTON BAKER'S MOLESTATION! Chris asked Sheri Baker to "give her personal testimony" to the Hope Hermosa youth group, one night. After she finished, the room was in tears. Chris then, asked everyone in the room to bow their heads, close their eyes, and look-up at him if they too, had suffered sexual abuse and wanted prayer. OVER 1/2 OF THE ROOM OF GIRLS LOOKED-UP! Chris simply prayed and then declared, "You have been healed in the name of Jesus!" AND THAT WAS IT!...
The rest of the staff, knew of the ENTIRE MATTER, but sold themselves out, as well as their honor and integrity, just so that they could keep their positions in leadership and their personal payroll in tack!

In 1993, as a single parent, I was attacked by Wint Baker in his kitchen while attending a "Camping Ministry planning meeting." His wife was in the next room (dining room), as were my kids, ages 6 & 8. I fought him off loud enough for Shirley to hear me. The next morning I reported this to Zac. NOTHING was EVER done! Im amazed to hear now that I was far from the first to report this.WHY ARENT MANHATTAN P.D. watching these pedophiles?? Isnt that what we are paying our huge taxes for??? Hope Chapel AND Zac have yet to receive Gods wrath for taking this blood money all these years. Apparently they learned nothing from Judas lesson. Problem foe them is that Gods learning curve is usually in direct proportion to ones sin...in this case, STRAIGHT UP!
Jannet

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Likewise. We were all shocked to learn Peggy had betrayed not just the church, but all of us.
The rest of the staff there at Hope Chapel deserve respect for bringing this out in the open to the congregation, who had not just trusted her, but loved her like family.
This crime was not just about embezzlement and breach of contract or fraud- it was about her betrayal of a community of friends. The staff held a private meeting and open forum with the congregation to break the news to us that this had happened. They wanted our feedback and suggestions and prayers.
Even though doing the "Christian Thing", was our utmost consideration, there were the obvious practicalities all citizens must consider/ like the law. We folks just wanted to do the right thing and hoped that Peggy could eventually return to living an up-right lifestyle.
The "Christian Thing" to do is to have a righteous anger towards sin, to not judge but forgive and to love one-another. Its not about being religious.
About "the Rev. Turner", I know him as Dale. He's a good man, a man- a brother and a trustworthy gentleman who loves his wife and family. His life is an open book with his accountabilty partners and deserves more respect than these posts on this comment chain reflect.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent New Canaan Discussions

Search the New Canaan Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 12 hr Frijoles 68,368
looking for Sharon or Phil Harnett (Nov '12) 21 hr puzzled 31
63-year-old Stamford Motors dealership is sold (Mar '09) Wed Les Williams 16
WWE Promotes Stephanie McMahon & John Laurinaitis (Jun '07) Wed amw 8
A deluded consensus on discrimination Jul 21 Drilling for the nerve 2
Ch&#279;ap Kítchen Uníts Jul 18 Anonymous 1
Is Brett Saltus still shooting Heroin? (Feb '13) Jul 18 Charles 20
•••
•••

New Canaan News Video

•••
New Canaan Dating

more search filters