Greenwich lacrosse coach suspended - ...

Greenwich lacrosse coach suspended - Greenwich Time

There are 91 comments on the Greenwich Time story from Mar 11, 2009, titled Greenwich lacrosse coach suspended - Greenwich Time. In it, Greenwich Time reports that:

Greenwich High School has suspended its longtime boys varsity lacrosse head coach after he was charged in a drunken-driving incident in 2008, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Greenwich Time.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Outrage

Huntington, NY

#1 Mar 12, 2009
This is an outrage. This individual has a prior history of drunk driving. How dare you get him involved in Safe Rides. Who came up with this idea. That person should also be fired.

He should be isolated from our children, not made to speak to them. He is the worst example of an educator there can be. This has been known for years.
Cos Cob mom

East Meadow, NY

#2 Mar 12, 2009
I would not allow my children to get in a vehicle with him even ife he was the "second person". and - what were these parents thinking when they allowed thier kids to go away to a lacrosse camp in February with this coach? Is the sport that dependent on him? Shame on Dr. Sternberg too for allowing such a package to be created, as well as letting this guy continue to teach. What will she will do with his job once he has to go to trial and he is away for days or weeks on end? Keep it open with subs, which we all know is sooooo good for our kids.
Let's put an alcohol clause in the next teachers' contract.
Rickh

United States

#3 Mar 12, 2009
Why do they keep this guy as coach, it is a disgrace.
I quess the parents of all the starters and but kissers like him
town resident

New Rochelle, NY

#4 Mar 12, 2009
I believe this is DUI number 5 for paul burke. God luck firing him as a teacher people he has been in the Greenwich School system for about 15 years! he actually is a good teacher in the classrom
vwc

Freeport, NY

#5 Mar 12, 2009
Does anyone know if Paul Burke has had DWI Arrests in his past - or convictions? Is there a resource for finding this information out??

According to the Greenwich Round-up they are saying that the Sports Moms in Town say he has had four arrests? If this is true - and I am not saying it is - how the heck does he keep his job?
town resident

New Rochelle, NY

#6 Mar 12, 2009
he has had about 4 or 5 other dui arrest in the past and has served time in Chesire's detention center for it back in the fall of 99. I believe it was a 30 or 60 day stint.
Core

New York, NY

#7 Mar 12, 2009
Give him the boot(cleat)!!!
Comedian Betty Sternberg

Clifton, NJ

#8 Mar 12, 2009
"Mr. Burke has maintained his innocence and looks forward to his trial," said Riccio.

"While we do not condone the behavior that led to Mr. Burke's arrest, he has taken responsibility for his actions and we expect that he will abide by the terms of the agreement and all state laws," Superintendent of Schools Betty Sternberg said in statement released Wednesday.
town resident

New Rochelle, NY

#9 Mar 12, 2009
town resident wrote:
he has had about 4 or 5 other dui arrest in the past and has served time in Chesire's detention center for it back in the fall of 99. I believe it was a 30 or 60 day stint.
sorry I need to correct myself he was in prison in July and august of 1999 for his thrid DUI arrest. which happened in stamford at the Mc Donalds off exit 9
why not

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Mar 12, 2009
The article states that "The co-president of the Greenwich High School PTA, Laurie Heiss Grealy, also declined comment, saying that she cannot speak about personnel issues."

Since when is the PTA president not permitted to comment on "personnel issues"? The PTA is under no legal restrictions in this matter. The PTA is supposed to represent parents, not the department of education or the teachers union. She most definitely should be commenting on personnel issues. I think that supine, don't-make-waves, never challenge the school administrators sort of mentality is a big problem with our town's PTA. It should be pushing the school system to implement higher standards and challenging them to get better teachers. Instead, they simply fork over the cash.
how interesting

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Mar 12, 2009
Isn't it curious that Greenwich High School operates such a draconian disciplinary system, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on closed circuit television cameras that cover virtually every nook and cranny of the school, both inside and out, employ the biggest security staff of any school in the state of Connecticut, and also station an armed police officer there full-time who has made literally scores of arrests the past three years, yet when a teacher is repeatedly arrested for drunk driving, he is given a slap- no a tap- on the wrist.

What does that sort of double standard tell our children?
Ted Kennedy

Lincoln Park, NJ

#12 Mar 12, 2009
This guy is a disgrace! Getting caught for such a lame offense
lack of balls

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Mar 12, 2009
How can we as parents have our children respect an individual like Burke? I'm all for second chances, but third fourth and fifth I have a problem with. Being a coach and educator you should be held to a higher standard. His job is in influence and mold kids into better citizens. His reckless "actions" speak much louder then his hollow words can ever do.
Greenwich needs to start holding educators accountable for poor judgment! Only then will our children once again start "respecting" themselves, their peers, and their community.
Call back the Dogs

AOL

#14 Mar 12, 2009
Paul Burke has been a positive influence on many students and athletes. If the repeated arrests are true, then the man has an illness to deal with.

He is going to trial on this charge.He has a suspension , additional town-imposed consequences, and public humiliation.Most people lose their licenses, not their jobs, for DUI's.

His offense has not endangered any students.Our kids
are not naive and could benefit from seeing humane efforts towards rehab vs.taking away his career.
Aaron

Norwalk, CA

#15 Mar 12, 2009
Call back the Dogs wrote:
Paul Burke has been a positive influence on many students and athletes. If the repeated arrests are true, then the man has an illness to deal with.
He is going to trial on this charge.He has a suspension , additional town-imposed consequences, and public humiliation.Most people lose their licenses, not their jobs, for DUI's.
are not naive and could benefit from seeing humane efforts towards rehab vs.taking away his career.
Since when, in this country, do repeated drunk drivers ever lose their license??? If this coach had lost his on the first offense, there might not have been repeat offenses that cost him "public humiliation" and his job. I understand the viewpoints of those who know, love, and see only the positive side of drunk drivers. But the bare truth is that each time he drove drunk, he endangered the lives of others on the road,(would his sympathizers be so supportive if he had hit and killed a child?) besides his. This country MUST get SERIOUS about drunk driving. To not hold the drunk driver "really" responsible not only insults the free will and intellectual capacity of the drunk (in Europe, people drink but know NEVER to DRIVE drunk), but endangers the driving public.
Cos Cob mom

Bronx, NY

#16 Mar 12, 2009
how interesting wrote:
Isn't it curious that Greenwich High School operates such a draconian disciplinary system, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on closed circuit television cameras that cover virtually every nook and cranny of the school, both inside and out, employ the biggest security staff of any school in the state of Connecticut, and also station an armed police officer there full-time who has made literally scores of arrests the past three years, yet when a teacher is repeatedly arrested for drunk driving, he is given a slap- no a tap- on the wrist.
What does that sort of double standard tell our children?
How about random drug-testing & breathalyzers for the teachers? The Greenwich BOE only addresses this when it is critical and has made teh newspapers, not as a prevention issue. They also do not have any policy or procedure for students to report bullying by a teacher or a coach. The "new" policy only has student-to-student!!! I wonder how many times his behavior towards his students and athletes was dictated by his bloo-alcohol level.
He may have an illness, then it is time to deal with it out of teh sight of the teenagers.
OMG

Wilton, CT

#17 Mar 12, 2009
Call back the Dogs wrote:
You Cannot be serious. he was forced out of GHS in 90's, forced out at NC in 02, and forced out of Darien. Greenwich is once again the laughing stock of the fciac.
LAX Dad

United States

#18 Mar 12, 2009
It's a shame that our LAX team has to suffer the humiliation from the other FCIAC teams about this incident.Plus he will be gone for the first 2 critical weeks of the LAX season.Our boys deserve better than this!
hello

Bernville, PA

#19 Mar 12, 2009
good luck this season coach burke! the worst is behind you. its all about lax now..
town resident

New Rochelle, NY

#20 Mar 12, 2009
I believe we have a lot of unedcated people in this town about paul burke! Lets see in the early 90's got himself in trouble for drinking with his player and also making them walk home from brunswick and taking the bus himself after a loss in the early 90's. Then was removed from coaching in both Darien and New Cannan for drinking with his players in the early 2000's and has had 5 DUI's atleast one stint in prison for his DUI's etc. I could go on but I do not think there is a need to!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Canaan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans are filthy scum 3 hr KOOK ALERT 8
Ct Courts,Malloy+ Duff budget means 600 layoff... 3 hr KOOK ALERT 3
101,970 individuals, in Fairfield County live ... 3 hr KOOK ALERT 2
Ct slashes growth data DUFF IS WRONG poor perfo... 3 hr KOOK ALERT 15
News City man charged in Stamford hate stabbing 9 hr david traversa 1
News Rilling Unveils 'The Sound Of Connecticut' As N... 22 hr KOOK ALERT 4
sports authority in Norwalk closing 22 hr KOOK ALERT 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Canaan Mortgages