Stamford police may hire consultant o...

Stamford police may hire consultant on complaints

There are 52 comments on the Stamford Advocate story from Aug 31, 2009, titled Stamford police may hire consultant on complaints. In it, Stamford Advocate reports that:

In response to recent complaints against police and mounting media attention, the Stamford Police Department is in discussions to hire an outside consultant to review Internal Affairs protocol on civilian complaints, a department spokesman said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stamford Advocate.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
WATCHMAN

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Sep 1, 2009
Another consulant, every time there is a problem in one of the departments within Stamford the first knee jerk reaction is, we don't know how to handle this, so we better hire a consulant. Spend more money because the people who have been put in charge of over seeing this department, any department can't or will not do there jobs. In stead of having a police commission or a fire commision and the rest why not eliminate them and give the jobs to these consulants. I don't care if it costs 5000.00 or 5.00 its still more spending of taxpayers money because some people can't do there appointed jobs.
Sam Man

Morristown, NJ

#2 Sep 1, 2009
I say bravo to the Police Department for doing this. This is a small cost to get an objective outside opinion . . . and that's what we need.
Paul -Stamford CT

Redwood City, CA

#3 Sep 1, 2009
Well said my friend. You go Watchman!!
wow

Stamford, CT

#4 Sep 1, 2009
WATCHMAN wrote:
Another consulant, every time there is a problem in one of the departments within Stamford the first knee jerk reaction is, we don't know how to handle this, so we better hire a consulant. Spend more money because the people who have been put in charge of over seeing this department, any department can't or will not do there jobs. In stead of having a police commission or a fire commision and the rest why not eliminate them and give the jobs to these consulants. I don't care if it costs 5000.00 or 5.00 its still more spending of taxpayers money because some people can't do there appointed jobs.
On the other hand, the SPD has already shown that they can't handle complaints properly. Hopefully, bringing in a consultant will bring in an air of objectivity that is currently lacking.
Vox Pop

Niantic, CT

#5 Sep 1, 2009
Well, at least the inertia has been overcome.

However, this isn't rocket science. Clarifying the chain of custody on each complaint, the cain of command, timetables and responsibilities for response should NOT need outside help. This could be seen as an admission of ineffectiveness by top brass, as a way of evading responsibility for the current situation, or a smart move - depending on one's persoective and expectations.
Pat

United States

#6 Sep 1, 2009
Hopefully the consultant will provide the dept with explicit directions on how to handle complaints. Seems like this would be an obvious procedure but apparently SPD needs assistance. The critical part is that once the procedure is in place, it will still be up to SPD to implement and stick to this process. A plan is only as good as the people using it.
Taxpayer

Baldwin, NY

#7 Sep 1, 2009
Another waste of the taxpayers money. How about if the SPD looked at what other departments around the country are doing, find what is working and adopt it here. I am sure that the chief and other SPD bigwigs go to conferences, etc. (most likely on the taxpayers as well) and can find out what their colleagues elsewhere are doing. Just another example of the knee jerk response of government to waste money whenever the opportunity arises.
wow

Stamford, CT

#8 Sep 1, 2009
Vox Pop wrote:
Well, at least the inertia has been overcome.
However, this isn't rocket science. Clarifying the chain of custody on each complaint, the cain of command, timetables and responsibilities for response should NOT need outside help. This could be seen as an admission of ineffectiveness by top brass, as a way of evading responsibility for the current situation, or a smart move - depending on one's persoective and expectations.
I've got to wonder if the chief was "asked" to seek outside help.
Abolish The Fed

Clifton, NJ

#9 Sep 1, 2009
WATCHMAN wrote:
That is because public relations (BS) matters more than any problem within the department, you would expect that from any corporation.
Enough

Stamford, CT

#11 Sep 1, 2009
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got to wonder if the chief was "asked" to seek outside help.
No, the chief is just too damn lazy to do it. He is a useless sack of (fill in the blank).
Refried

Waterbury, CT

#12 Sep 1, 2009
They should hire the guy used to be the "special inspector" for the Trump tower. Remember that guy? Now that the tower is finished, and all the units are 100% occupied with luxury residents and fine restuarants, I bet that hard(ly) worked person needs a new responsibility.
resident

Plainfield, NJ

#13 Sep 1, 2009
Stamford Police are one of the most corrupt departments in the state of Connecticut. Ask any local judge.... Oh no wait, ask other states' officials, and their experience with Stamford.
Vox Pop

Niantic, CT

#14 Sep 1, 2009
Refried wrote:
They should hire the guy used to be the "special inspector" for the Trump tower. Remember that guy? Now that the tower is finished, and all the units are 100% occupied with luxury residents and fine restuarants, I bet that hard(ly) worked person needs a new responsibility.
Well, there's a real urban myth for you - the Safety Inspector. As yet 100% unidentified.

Since: Jul 08

East Moriches, NY

#15 Sep 1, 2009
Internal Affairs should be run by outside parties, not within the PD. I love how the cops hate the "stop snitchin" code, but yet they have their own code of silence.
Stamford resident

Norwalk, CT

#16 Sep 1, 2009
I wonder if they're bringing in the "Bobs" from Office Space?
Abolish The Fed

Clifton, NJ

#17 Sep 1, 2009
graffix wrote:
Internal Affairs should be run by outside parties, not within the PD. I love how the cops hate the "stop snitchin" code, but yet they have their own code of silence.
Good point and where the hell have you been?
wow

Stamford, CT

#18 Sep 1, 2009
Vox Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there's a real urban myth for you - the Safety Inspector. As yet 100% unidentified.
There haven't been any new incidents. Isn't that proof enough that this person existed. He/She has done an outstanding job of keeping us safe, and I'm sure will do an equally outstanding job of ensuring that the SPD get their internal affairs in order.
Vox Pop

Niantic, CT

#19 Sep 1, 2009
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
There haven't been any new incidents. Isn't that proof enough that this person existed. He/She has done an outstanding job of keeping us safe, and I'm sure will do an equally outstanding job of ensuring that the SPD get their internal affairs in order.
If you really believe there ever was such a person, I have another story for you...It begins with "Once upon a time.........."
just amazed

Morganville, NJ

#20 Sep 1, 2009
So the SPD has the taxpayer's funds to hire & pay someone to investigate their own investigative practices. This is an issue a qualified & well paid Chief of Police should be able to address and resolve at no further expense to the taxpayer. If he can't do it just what is he administrating?
Great

New York, NY

#21 Sep 1, 2009
Nooooo - the city should spend the extra money for the schools, library, and the Memorial Day parade on Summer St.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Canaan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Christine Zampedri arrest. (Photo): Office of t... 16 hr 1 honest hard worker 1
Is Brett Saltus still shooting Heroin? (Feb '13) Fri SPLAT 54
News Housing authority director out (Jan '09) Aug 23 ffctguitar 35
George W. Bush Helped Create ISIS (Nov '15) Aug 19 BPT 9
News Stamford High grad pushes for equality - in lit... Aug 15 Oh No You Di-nt 1
Whatever happened to the Waterbury girls? (Jun '15) Aug 12 ffctguitar 12
News Restored From Storm Sandy Damage, Penfield Reef... Aug 6 BPT 11

New Canaan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Canaan Mortgages