New Britain Animal Officer Has Subdue...

New Britain Animal Officer Has Subdued Dogs And A Caiman

There are 31 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Aug 31, 2008, titled New Britain Animal Officer Has Subdued Dogs And A Caiman. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

James Russo, the sheriff in New Britain 's animal world, had a routine day Tuesday - many complaints about barking dogs, a couple about roaming ones and a citizen's tip about a headless rooster carcass ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
USMC

New Haven, CT

#21 Sep 1, 2008
JD Smith wrote:
While it's great that ACO Russo gets his moment in the sun, it's a shame that this story makes no mention of the fact that New Britain has a serious feline overpopulation problem - one which Officer Russo and the city's officials do little to nothing to solve. Dog issues are not the only companion animal calls that our city should address.
The cat problem has come up in town meetings. But as Russo has said, you grab a cat you "think" is a stray and it might be someone's pet.

Overall, I'd give him an A-. The only knock is that time we had a hurt pitbull in our neighborhood that he couldn't catch. I offered to let him borrow my .45 but he said he'd get it with a .22. Are you nuts? Fire off a .22 in a residential neighbornood. If you miss, the round will travel forever.
Deborah Vitale

Farmington, CT

#22 Sep 2, 2008
Yes, the dogs of New Britain are very lucky to have Jimmy Russo as there ACO, he's very kind and gentle with them.But the city of New Britain has ignored the cat problem for too long. There is no reason why New Britain Aninal Control does not take in cats.
After all when you call on the phone the recording says"Animal Control" not dog pound.Com e on New Britain let's start to address the problems of the citys cats and not just the dogs.
Barbara I Biel

Niles, MI

#23 Sep 5, 2008
Deborah Vitale wrote:
Yes, the dogs of New Britain are very lucky to have Jimmy Russo as there ACO, he's very kind and gentle with them.But the city of New Britain has ignored the cat problem for too long. There is no reason why New Britain Aninal Control does not take in cats.
After all when you call on the phone the recording says"Animal Control" not dog pound.Com e on New Britain let's start to address the problems of the citys cats and not just the dogs.
It is a good thing that New Britain AC does not take in cats. Most cats who are homeless are feral, afraid of people. They are not adoptable. If AC picked them up, they would be killed at the pound. The way to solve the feral cat problem is to sterilize the females, build shelters for the cats (inexpensive ones can be made out of Styrofoam), and feed them. I have brought 3 feral cat colonies in New Britain under control (and I donít even live in New Britain). Once the cats are not multiplying, they will just live out their lives and the colony will disappear.
Barbara I Biel

Niles, MI

#24 Sep 5, 2008
Too bad there arenít more AC officers like Russo. Plymouth AC should follow Officer Russoís example.
Amy

United States

#25 Feb 2, 2009
You people should be ashamed in saying that other officers should follow his example. Not only does he not address the cat problem, but he euthanizes healthy animals without giving them any exposure. All other AC's in CT utilize pet finder to give the animals a chance......Russo refuses to. It is a very sad matter there. Many of these animals are adoptable and I know for a fact because I've saved some, and they dont stand chances.
Roo

Agawam, MA

#26 May 15, 2009
I live in VT and have a wonderful dog that Officer Russo went the extra mile to place via multiple rescues (my boy is a mix, but Russo tried several groups until New England Border Collie Rescue--who are wonderful--took my dog). I'm not sure why he isn't using Petfinder, if indeed he isn't, but it's not like he isn't trying to place dogs.
SoManyChildren

Los Angeles, CA

#27 May 17, 2009
But what can he do about all the roaming cats?
sodumb

Hemmingford, Canada

#28 Sep 6, 2010
How dumb of you usmc,you offered your 45 but he wanted to shoot it with a22, oh please whatever the caliber its not even right to shoot it.

dumb and dumber, you guys live in a nutshell.

Jimmy Russo once forced a volunteer to kill a dog that had 3 days left so he could go to disney world by the way..........

The dog was just in and was not tested or anything, very gentle top shape young dog.

The guy makes 100k a year putting them down fast to escape additionnal expenses and was forced to work with the petfinder program.
Roo

Brattleboro, VT

#29 Sep 6, 2010
@sodumb Do you have first-hand knowledge of this?

As I wrote above, officer Russo dealt with multiple rescues trying to get someone to take the dog I have now. He made many phone calls and had at least three volunteers from those rescues come in to eval the dog and then pick him up. I've spoken to him twice since then (once to thank him for his efforts, once just to update him on how fabulous my dog turned out), and he seemed genuinely pleased and engaged.

My dog was *not* an easy dog and barely made it into rescue. If Officer Russo worked so hard to get my boy placed, I find it very hard to believe he's so cavalierly euthing the easy dogs.
USMC

New Britain, CT

#30 Sep 6, 2010
sodumb wrote:
How dumb of you usmc,you offered your 45 but he wanted to shoot it with a22, oh please whatever the caliber its not even right to shoot it.
dumb and dumber, you guys live in a nutshell.
Jimmy Russo once forced a volunteer to kill a dog that had 3 days left so he could go to disney world by the way..........
The dog was just in and was not tested or anything, very gentle top shape young dog.
The guy makes 100k a year putting them down fast to escape additionnal expenses and was forced to work with the petfinder program.
Hey jerkwad, nothing got shot. It was just a "What if?..." in case the dog couldn't be caught.(What would you have suggested, a butterfly net?) A few months later I talked to Russo and the dog was fine.
Rachel

Norfolk, VA

#31 Feb 14, 2011
Officer Russo is a wonderful ACO who truly cares about the animals in his jurisdiction. He does not set the laws, and therefore it is not his fault is the laws regarding cats in CT are weak. He does an incredible job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Britain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Her disease and a special friendship (Jun '08) Sep 16 Linda 11
Cromwell-the most racist town in CT (Jun '10) Sep 14 ANONYMOUS 31
News Developer Resubmits Plan In Wethersfield (Jun '08) Aug 20 Warning 44
News Top of June's lottery winners: Milford man gets... Aug '17 WorkAvoider 11
News Over-65 & Working - Don't Let Disappointment Show Jul '17 tears of a clown 1
News Erardi retiring as Newtown schools superintendent Jul '17 George Roberge 1
News MySpace `Predator' Gets 20-Year Prison Sentence... (Jul '07) Apr '17 Paul Kersey 14

New Britain Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Britain Mortgages