New Britain Animal Officer Has Subdued Dogs And A Caiman

James Russo, the sheriff in New Britain 's animal world, had a routine day Tuesday - many complaints about barking dogs, a couple about roaming ones and a citizen's tip about a headless rooster carcass ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
the Badger

Plantsville, CT

#1 Aug 31, 2008
I must say, this was a great Sunday morning story. I like to read happy things before I go and read anything at all about Hartford.
jam

Concord, MA

#2 Aug 31, 2008
Great story! Hats off to sheriff Russo!
lidy

Southington, CT

#3 Aug 31, 2008
yes, i agree with the 2 prevoius posts that this is indeed a refreshing story to read instead of all the sadness we usually see. unfortunately this story has a bit of a sad twinge to it as humans (some) abuse, neglect and abandon their "pets", that i will never understand.
Jenn

United States

#4 Aug 31, 2008
We need more police officers like this one around. Really touching!

Since: Jun 08

glastonbury,ct

#5 Aug 31, 2008
So happy to read that somebody actually cares about these animals and how they are treated. We need more people like him around.
OLD GOAT Saybrook

Woburn, MA

#6 Aug 31, 2008
Too bad we don't hear such nice stories about the police along the shoreline!

Yes there are some, but few stories as lovely as this one.
Bristolite

Naugatuck, CT

#7 Aug 31, 2008
I love animals. I would never think about abandoning a pet. Pet ownership is a responsibility and too many people don't know the meaning of responsbility, honor, or integrity.
LHD

Fall River, MA

#8 Aug 31, 2008
I agree with all the other posts. What a wonderful story and what a great man this officer is. I agree also about the cruelty of people leaving their animals tied without food or water or when they dump them without caring what happens to them. Too many people think that animals are objects they can dump when they don't want them anymore! Good job officer Russo! We need more people like you.
FRO HO

Hartford, CT

#9 Aug 31, 2008
Great story, great people.
6079smithw

Reno, NV

#10 Aug 31, 2008
Takes a special person to do this kind of job... props to Officer Russo!
Common sense is dead

Montpelier, VT

#11 Aug 31, 2008
God bless this guy. We need as many compassionate people as we can find in the animal community.

I've worked in animal care for almost 15 years and spent the last 3 as a foster parent for abused and neglected dogs, primarily pit bulls and pit bull mixes. The attrocities commited on these animals is disgusting, and - prepare for a shock - most of them are rescued from the trashy neighborhoods all over Hartford, Waterbury and New Britain. My hat goes off to Mr. Russo for facing this heartbreak day after day.

Ghandi once said that you can judge a society by how it treats its animals, and I do believe that to be true.
Concerned Citizen

Greenfield, MA

#12 Aug 31, 2008
What a wonder article about a wonderful man. It is so refreshing to hear about someone doing so much good for those who cannot help themselves. And Gloria Temple, you are a gem too. My granddaughter does this same thing. There are always cats and dogs in the house, waiting for her to find a home for them. She also found a rabbit and has a home in mind, since she can't keep it, due to asthma. Her family adopted a wonderful old and blind dog, that was at the pound. It is amazing what this dog can do with the help of humans and another dog in the house, who helps too. I love these stories!
Just Me

New Milford, CT

#13 Aug 31, 2008
I was an animal control officer for several NW Ct towns back in the late 80's and early 90's... it's a difficult but rewarding job when you find homes for these "lost" animals.
The hardest part is having to put down animals that cannot be placed, and picking up those hit by cars.
I was once interviewed by the paper about the job, and was quoted as saying "there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners" and I still believe that to be true.
My own licensed, vaccinated and much loved pet is now 14 years old, so yes, they are a long term commitment. Kudoes to Officer Russo for a job well done.
Just Me

New Milford, CT

#14 Aug 31, 2008
Ummm. Wallingford? no. I live in Farmington! I don't know where the town affiliation comes from, but mine is WRONG!!
xsixzuyzg

United States

#15 Aug 31, 2008
I have had to deal with officer Russo on many ocasions the past few years (barking annoying dogs )and each and every time he has handled the situation to my satisfaction.We have a good man here and worth what we pay him. I am a senior citizen that still works and must get proper sleep.I have nothing but good to say about this man!
doityourselfweat her com

Stevenson, CT

#16 Aug 31, 2008
I'm glad you didn't headline the story,...Has His Way With Animals" and that there were no references to sheep.
(Lighten up it's Sunday!)
Every town/city needs an officer Russo
or two.
Eddie C

New Britain, CT

#17 Aug 31, 2008
Just Me wrote:
Ummm. Wallingford? no. I live in Farmington! I don't know where the town affiliation comes from, but mine is WRONG!!
Its called a ISP address. Not your home address. Welcome to the 21st century.
Great Job officer Russo.
Mrs Common Sense

Winsted, CT

#18 Aug 31, 2008
What a lucky town, to have Office Russo!
dave

United States

#19 Aug 31, 2008
God bless!
JD Smith

Naugatuck, CT

#20 Aug 31, 2008
While it's great that ACO Russo gets his moment in the sun, it's a shame that this story makes no mention of the fact that New Britain has a serious feline overpopulation problem - one which Officer Russo and the city's officials do little to nothing to solve. Dog issues are not the only companion animal calls that our city should address.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Britain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Advocating For A Glastonbury Poet Laureate Fri i want that jon 1
Retired Police Officer, Charged With Possessing... (Jun '13) Dec 21 Police State USA 2
Mix-And-Match Home Design (Mar '08) Dec 19 William Walker 2
Middletown Police Handcuff 10-Year Old Girl Dur... Dec 18 I call cops Pigs 1
In Connecticut, No Violence, But Dismay At Even... Dec 9 Pig Hunter 1
Acces Health CT offers free in-person enrollmen... Dec 9 Marta 1
More Advice On Acura TL Transmission Failures A... (Apr '09) Nov 30 lisa 280
New Britain Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New Britain People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

New Britain News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New Britain