Graffiti Spree Arrests Made

Graffiti Spree Arrests Made

There are 39 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 5, 2008, titled Graffiti Spree Arrests Made. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Police said a group of young men who fancied themselves graffiti "artists" are responsible for a recent outbreak of vandalism on buildings and other structures across the city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jeff H

Hamden, CT

#23 Jun 30, 2008
BIlly Wagner wrote:
I have a son that is a muralist... He uses aerosol cans to do his art, and does canvas, legal walls, and areas where he has permission. It's sad he gets looped into a group of individuals that do vandalism of this type. It's very easy for people like Mark above, and the police to just point fingers and blame anyone with any type of association to graffiti, legal or illegal and label them as vandals. It's too bad people ruin it for the good ones, because there are muralists and graffiti artists out there, that do not vandalize property in the fashion that these individuals have, but obviously Johnny law doesn't see it that way. A face, or an arrest in the paper is just another notch on the belt to them.
If they made an arrest, someone was doing their vandalizing without the owners permission. That makes them criminal vandalists, and not "muralists".
COSTONE

Norwalk, CT

#24 Feb 26, 2009
jeff wrote:
Man this is awesome, I hope they throw the book at all these vandals who make our cities look like crap. The gang stuff or the "art" both are ugly and shows a total defiant act toward private and public property. Gangs are so lame, their demands for "respect" well tagging is no way to have your demands met. Please use these as an example, send them to jail after they are made ot clean up or pay for their crime. It has to stop, some very nice things have been destroyed, mostly by gang members, markijg their turf. Perhaps if they micterated they could better mark their turf, other animals would then know not to enter this alley or this ghetto building
Public property belongs to the PUBLIC, not just you. As part of the public I love graffiti. Not only is it Beautiful but it is history. Graffiti has always been around and always will since cavemen wrote on walls. Also, most Graffiti artists have nothing to due with gangs. The things artists write are just there identification like names. Don't complain about something you know nothing about.
COSTONE

Norwalk, CT

#25 Feb 26, 2009
Jeff H wrote:
<quoted text>
If they made an arrest, someone was doing their vandalizing without the owners permission. That makes them criminal vandalists, and not "muralists".
Doesn't the public belong to the public. And as a member of the public I should be able to decide what goes up in my public. You recognise graffiti as an art legally but it is just the same art illegally.
Halo

Newington, CT

#26 Apr 8, 2009
Well for all of you people who think this is all crap and what not, you have no idea what you're talking about. Sure Graffiti isn't art but its expressive and it defines people. Just to let you know, graffiti isn't just gang related. there are people all over the world that do graffiti and are not criminals. I'd like to see you get up at all hours of the day and spray paint a billboard a hundred feet in the air or better yet, spray paint an entire wall. these people risk there lives everyday when the go over someone else's work, or do something as dangerous as that. Graffiti is very cultural and goes way back to before there was actually a thing called spray paint.
Honestly

Hartford, CT

#27 Jul 10, 2009
Who paid for the land in America? Sorry I guess I just didnt see any of your names on the check!LOL
ECT

Bennington, VT

#28 Oct 13, 2009
I'd love to see you try it....love to!
Just a so called VANDAL

United States

#29 Nov 30, 2009
For the record Im an aerosol artists and I work very very hard at a 9-5 job. I pay around 340 in taxes a week! GRAFFITI IS EXPRESSION AND CULTURE, I don't mind paying for its removal.I do mind however my money going torwards plans that feed the lazy, the drug addicted, the teenagers that cant use protection,the schools for kids I do not have, the people who make believe they are actually disabled and the police who label me scum because of my art and harass me for creating it "legally"(run on sentence much?)...really though I don't mind my money going torwards snow removal, thats about it.
And also, for every 1 count of graffit vandalism you see there must be at least 40 counts of advertisements which we are forced to stare at... thats the real graffiti problem. hope your 6 yr old enjoys those slutty VIP billboards, pictures of drunk driver accidents and ads geared torwards making them want to eat fast food so they can grow fat and become diabetic! REAL FREAKIN POSITIVE
Just a so called VANDAL

United States

#30 Nov 30, 2009
OH AND DIDN'T AMERICA PLANT A FLAG ON THE MOON?

-last time I checked we didn't own the moon. That's like the mother of all "TAGS". America just wanted to prove we had been there, same concept with graffiti just on a WAAAY smaller scale.
Andre

Europe

#31 Dec 10, 2009
Nothing new in Britain
mArTyR3

Cambridge, MA

#32 Dec 14, 2009
Alright, I'd have to agree with all comments discussing the futility in gang related graffiti, but graffiti to me is about expression, not marking your "turf." There's some really cool work out there that should stay up. A lot of kids just scribble some meaningless name on a stop sign and call it graffiti, which to me just means that they are transforming it into a fad. I believe that graffiti is the art of expression, and that kids who just write terrible things should be arrested, especially when they write on brand new walls and such. But if a wall is old and looks like it can be a good canvas, THROW IT UP!
Haa

Atlanta, GA

#33 Mar 28, 2010
@Less Than Sympathetic.. I totally love that scene!!
scoer1

Hartford, CT

#34 Aug 10, 2010
graffiti is art whoever dnt like it kiss my *%&.! tag everything.!!! hearbeat.!!!
CT GRAFFITI WRITER

West Springfield, MA

#35 Aug 29, 2010
Mark, die slow. Thank you..
CT GRAFFITI WRITER

West Springfield, MA

#36 Aug 29, 2010
@Halo.. who are you to say griffiti isnt art...?
oner

Berlin, CT

#37 Dec 26, 2010
You see, it's a cycle. You idiots try controlling people by forcing what you THINK is right down the throats of children and the children go, "hey you're an idiot old man who will die without ever really living, so here's what I think about your 'hard earned' property in a country that was founded on stolen land."
graffiti artist

Bristol, CT

#38 Apr 22, 2011
Mark wrote:
Well, first off, there are some of us who still have pride in our city. I've been part of the anti-graffiti movement for twelve years. Some years we get off lightly and are able to keep up with vandalism as it occurs. Other years, like 2007, these "paint punks" seem to crawl out of the woodwork. I just wish they weren't referred to as "artists". There is no art in the vandalism they perpetuate.
art is art whether it is illegal or not, retard.
kevin

Norwich, CT

#39 Jun 22, 2011
The douchebags who tag the in initials BIH and TNR in New Britain are freaking losers. They are not artists . They should be arrested, spend countless hours of community service cleaning up the city and the trash graffiti and then do some jail time. If I catch them tagging they will regret it trust me
kevin

Norwich, CT

#40 Jun 22, 2011
Ill spary paint their face like in the movie Colors after I take a picture of them with their pathetic little spray can "caught in the act" and watch as the cops haul their butts off to jail . It is people like them who are ruining a good city like New Britain !!
wasted

Saranac Lake, NY

#41 Nov 19, 2011
When I was a kid Grafitti artists used to tag on the Siracusa Moving co. wall on East st. The company allowed it as long as there was no gang stuff and the artists were actually talented. N.B needs more places like that so that the law abiding artists have a place to express their art. Like anything else, there is always gonna be a criminal element but it shouldnt reflect on everyone associated with this art form.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Britain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
josie torres makeup was born a man & is a ts Wed What 2
News Top of June's lottery winners: Milford man gets... Aug 7 WorkAvoider 11
News Over-65 & Working - Don't Let Disappointment Show Jul 23 tears of a clown 1
News Erardi retiring as Newtown schools superintendent Jul '17 George Roberge 1
News Plainville Dog Park Site Being Considered Jul '17 Danielle Roux 1
News More Advice On Acura TL Transmission Failures A... (Apr '09) Jul '17 DAVE 328
Kay's Gag Shop (Jun '06) Jun '17 Judy 57

New Britain Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Britain Mortgages