Killer dam on the Guadalupe River

Posted in the New Braunfels Forum

Transplant

San Antonio, TX

#1 Sep 23, 2010
In this year alone there have been three drownings on the Guadalupe River at the dam that is just above the Faust Street Bridge. Two people lost their lives and one is in ICU. This dam is serving no purpose. At one point it diverted water for the mill that is on the north side of the river but that mill is long out of use and now is just an empty shell of a building. It is constantly being broke into and spray painted with graffiti, much of it vulgar. I'm sure there will be people who say that this is a historical site but really it is not. Yes the textile mill was a prominant business in New Braunfels at one time but now it is just an eye sore. The dam that was placed across the river to power the mill is now just a hazard to our residents and vistors. When the mill went out of business the city should have pushed the company to remove the dam. And really, is it legal for a company that dammed and used a public waterway to have left that dam in the river when they left that area? Regardless, the textile company is long gone so now it falls on the city or the state, since it is a state waterway. Tear out that dam! Or at least do something to make it safe for people that use that area. And maybe the answer is not to tear it out, maybe the answer is to make another tube chute. A friend of mine made a good suggestion, add more concrete so that the backside of the dam is sloped back down to the river bed making a sort of slide. Either way it is time to do something. No longer can we block this area out of our sight. It is time to act before another person gets injured, or God forbid, dies because of the "killer dam on the Guad."
Alejandro

Seguin, TX

#2 Sep 24, 2010
If you don't get too close, you won't get hurt.
Bubba

Desoto, TX

#3 Oct 14, 2010
Transplant wrote:
A friend of mine made a good suggestion, add more concrete so that the backside of the dam is sloped back down to the river bed making a sort of slide.
Yeah, so we can have another bunch of morons come to our town, hurt themselves, and sue the county/city. Just stay away from the damn thing like you should ALL dams and there won't be a problem....
Rile

Arlington, TX

#4 Feb 16, 2011
I floated the Guadalupe in Summer '10 with family. We stayed at some condos that overlooked the river. We were told several times that it would be fun to float it, it was safe and do forth. For days we watched many people stand up in the water (children included) with no jackets on floating on by looking like it was a great time. Finally we went for it early Sun morning before our trip home. We were on it for ten minutes, having fun and enjoying ourselves...then suddenly we saw a drop, it didn't look huge but we all questioned what to do, by then, there was no turning back, the water was going to fast at this point. We were committed. There were four of us, two made it down and on safely but me and my sister were stuck in the tide, spinning. Laughing at first we thought we would ride it out. As time went on we knew we needed to get out one way or another. I got out of the tube thinking I could stand, I definitely couldn't and I went under. My sister in a state of panic got out to help, which pulled her under too. Long story short we both came back up, out of breath, water logged and somehow back in our tubes. It was a miracle. We eventually found help and exited quickly on the next turn, we were startled to death, literally.

My point is, we were totally blind sided...it's easy for locals to say that people are morons for doing this or that, but we were told it was safe! We trusted the people who ran the tubing company, after all, why would we question the people who do this for a living. The waters were high and we were not aware of this, period. Regardless no one should float this without a jacket and we saw it happen our entire trip.

If it weren't for the people who visit the city, New Braunfelsl wouldn't be the nice town it is, end of story. The city relies on out of towners for capital, etc so rather you should focus on how to make the river safer as first mentioned in the initial thread, and not focus on "the morons who hurt themselves" while floating. Perhaps even educate the local morons who told us not to wear a life jacket.
JLM

Desoto, TX

#5 Feb 19, 2011
Rile wrote:
If it weren't for the people who visit the city, New Braunfelsl wouldn't be the nice town it is, end of story. Perhaps even educate the local morons who told us not to wear a life jacket
NOT EVEN close to the end of story. Just the uneducated opinion of a tourist who, like most, assumes that they are the life-blood of a community. By the way, you're not. The town was even nicer prior to the plague of tourism. Tourists are welcome, but don't give yorself that much credit - it's an arrogant assumption.

If said "local moron" told you not to wear a seat belt while driving here, would you not wear one? Of course not. So take some responsibility for your own actions. Most "experienced" swimmers or toobers are smart enough to wear a life jacket when in unfamiliar waters...
Hank

Seguin, TX

#6 Feb 19, 2011
"..we were startled to death, literally."

Literally? Gosh that's a shame.

Since you're dead, it's too late to buy a dictionary.
Joe

Desoto, TX

#7 Feb 20, 2011
JLM wrote:
<quoted text>
NOT EVEN close to the end of story. Just the uneducated opinion of a tourist who, like most, assumes that they are the life-blood of a community. By the way, you're not. The town was even nicer prior to the plague of tourism. Tourists are welcome, but don't give yorself that much credit - it's an arrogant assumption.
If said "local moron" told you not to wear a seat belt while driving here, would you not wear one? Of course not. So take some responsibility for your own actions. Most "experienced" swimmers or toobers are smart enough to wear a life jacket when in unfamiliar waters...
Well said, fellow resident, well said...

The pouplation increase of 60% from 2000 to 2010 wasn't a result of tourism, thats for sure. The attitude of toursists who arrogantly think that they drive a local economy is a load of crap, pure and simple. And yes, "moron tourist", people do in fact drown on the Guadalupe almost every year, just like toursists die in traffic accidents here also. The deaths are always a result of reckless personal behavior (drunk, stoned, etc..) or poor decision making (no life jacket, no seat belt, etc....

Now THAT'S the end of the story, idiot!
Jeff

Desoto, TX

#8 Feb 20, 2011
Hank wrote:
"..we were startled to death, literally."
Literally? Gosh that's a shame.
Since you're dead, it's too late to buy a dictionary.
HAHAHA! Good one Hank. How did the post these stupid comments, I wonder?

"Starled to death, literally." LMAO - looks like Bubba's original statement of tourists as "morons" was right on the mark!
Bubba

Desoto, TX

#11 Oct 4, 2011
lol
James

Oklahoma City, OK

#12 Nov 12, 2012
Bubba wrote:
lol
Very well said by all! I have lived here all my life, I worked for several river outfitters, and ALSO worked security in the mill after it shut down. Like most things in this town it attracts attention. I now work local law enforcement...Like others said though, with a little common sense most probably wouldn't have these problems...AND floating a river or anything involving a uncontrollable force of nature you can't guerentee anything including your safety! So please reserve your arrogance and ignorance :)
Mike

Spring, TX

#13 Apr 14, 2013
If you cannot spell guarantee you are probably not a cop. Lord help us if you are!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Braunfels Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brandon Newman Dec 20 concerned friend 5
Young girlfriend that wants to have sex (Jun '10) Dec 19 Piratebro90 15
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Any Good Company? Dec 14 LoverZ06 1
Review: Kellum Medical Group PA (Aug '08) Dec 11 DCW 25
Behind Taco Bell Dec 8 brad 1
Any women want to hook up Dec 5 JLP 4
New Braunfels Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

New Braunfels People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

New Braunfels News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New Braunfels

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:53 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:53PM
Case Keenum fills in nicely at QB for Texans - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:07 PM
Why aren't other teams lining up for Jason Garrett?
Yahoo! Sports 2:25 PM
Romo's best version looking good for Cowboys
Bleacher Report 1:23 AM
Hot Cowboys Value Staying Sharp over Rest; Playing to Win vs. Redskins
NFL 5:17 AM
Week 17 playoff scenarios cheat sheet