New Braunfels Getting Tougher On Tubers

New Braunfels Getting Tougher On Tubers

There are 64 comments on the KWTX story from Jan 22, 2007, titled New Braunfels Getting Tougher On Tubers. In it, KWTX reports that:

New Braunfels city officials say a slate of proposed ordinances is meant to rein in rowdy tubers on the Comal and Guadalupe rivers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KWTX.

Matt

Tampa, FL

#21 Feb 8, 2007
New Braunfels Tuber wrote:
Great! All drunks head to the Frio. Decent familes stay in New Braunfels.
<quoted text>
You should look at what Karin in Houston has to say. It bodes well for your family. Garner is great for the family.
Gabe

San Jose, CA

#22 Feb 12, 2007
I was born and raised in New Braunfels and still live there. This whole subject is stupid!!!! The loosers who bought property on the river are the only ones who complain. I'm sure they complained to Jesus Christ himself for 3 floods in 8 years. If they could, they would probably fine him for exces rain on a stage 2 water restriction day!!!!

I'm still going to go down the comal river but, Ill get a lined bottom tube and pack it in with beer and ice and that shouldent fall under a cooler category because that would be a beverage bin. And not a cooler because the def of a cooler cleary states "1: one that cools: as a: a container for cooling liquid". Ill just belly float on top of my "iced tube".

Clint

United States

#23 Feb 12, 2007
I am glad to see this action being taken in New Braunfels! I wish there was a way to pass this on the whole river! I know the New Braunfels City Council will benefit more by catering to families than to drunken college kids and drunken "old kids". We go to New Braunfels every year, but since we have had kids we have been inclined to stop going because of the drunkenness and rowdyness. Last year we were staying at a property on the Comal River and a group of plastered college kids "parked" just across the river at another private property that they had no business stopping at. The language and vulgarness coming from them caused us to leave and we were paying customers.{by the way, the river patrol was right there and they did not stop them until it got so bad many people were complaining, but they still did not leave} The city council will see that familes have more money to spend and will be repeat customers if they clean up the river!!! I agree with the folks going to the Frio, I think all the drunks and rebel rowsers should go west!Thanks and I hope the new rules pass!!!!
This is a matter of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILTY, people like you that think a law is the answer to all problems, is what gets our rights taken away. I have tubed the river for many years, I am responsible and leave no trash. Why should everyone be punished for a few peoples actions? It will be children like your own that cause problems, because you failed to teach them personal responsibility. Laws are not the answer. Also, what do you expect? You probably show up on a holiday weekend and expect to have the river to yourself? Hearing things like this is sickening. Wake up people!!
Annual Tuber

Rockport, TX

#24 Feb 12, 2007
I am glad to see this action being taken in New Braunfels! I wish there was a way to pass this on the whole river! I know the New Braunfels City Council will benefit more by catering to families than to drunken college kids and drunken "old kids". We go to New Braunfels every year, but since we have had kids we have been inclined to stop going because of the drunkenness and rowdyness. Last year we were staying at a property on the Comal River and a group of plastered college kids "parked" just across the river at another private property that they had no business stopping at. The language and vulgarness coming from them caused us to leave and we were paying customers.{by the way, the river patrol was right there and they did not stop them until it got so bad many people were complaining, but they still did not leave} The city council will see that familes have more money to spend and will be repeat customers if they clean up the river!!! I agree with the folks going to the Frio, I think all the drunks and rebel rowsers should go west!Thanks and I hope the new rules pass!!!!
Get off your rocking chair and get a life!!
Richard

San Antonio, TX

#25 Feb 12, 2007
Annual Tuber wrote:
<quoted text> Get off your rocking chair and get a life!!
Bye-bye, tubercle
Dustin

San Antonio, TX

#26 Feb 12, 2007
Let them pass the new ordinances, I'll take a fifth of whiskey and get drunker then they ever wanted me to.
Beaumont Tuber

United States

#27 Feb 13, 2007
My dad and I have had a father-son float down the Comal for the past 5 years, and I've been going for 7. We take 1 floating cooler that holds 18 cans, but we only take about 10 beers. The rest of the space holds snacks, water, Gatorade, sun block, and acts as our trash bag. I always carry the cooler myself, giving my dad a break, and he carries the tubes. Now we each have to buy our own and carry them.
But how is it going to be determined by law enforcement on the river banks what is a "6-pack" cooler, and what is larger? Can we have a 12-pack cooler with 6 cans, but ice and snacks?
And in regards to New Braunfels Tuber from Beaumont...you should stay in Beaumont and float the beautiful Neches River. It's much more quiet and to your liking. The people you are referring to from last year were overflow from the Guadalupe because it was really low last year. People who frequent the Comal know that it is usually quiet and still family-oriented WITH all sizes of coolers!!!
Beaumont Tuber

United States

#28 Feb 13, 2007
I'm with Karin...the vast majority of the Comal visitors are friendly and drink responsibly. Last year, my dad helped save a little girl from drowning, and many more people followed his lead after they saw him react! Oh wait...better check this year, city council may pass a law forbidding friendliness!!!
Brian

League City, TX

#29 Feb 15, 2007
The unfortunate thing is that this really won’t stop anything. The people who are out of control, the ones who pissed off the river residents, will still be out of control, they will find ways around these laws and nothing will change. This once again hurts the average joe who brings a few beers (or perhaps none at all), snacks, and water just to relax on the river. Or the ones who have made a living off tubing companies for the last 20 years. I imagine there will be some type of law suit soon regarding the legality of the ordinances. Oh and did the one tube/only 4 foot in diameter go all the way through?
Tube- R

Houston, TX

#30 Mar 3, 2007
STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS AND VOTE!
New Braunfels councilman faces recall over river restrictions
Friday , March 02, 2007
NEW BRAUNFELS (AP)- Opponents of City Council decisions targeting rowdy parties on rivers have collected enough signatures to recall a New Braunfels councilman tied to the measures.
City Secretary Michael Resendez said Thursday that supporters of a recall petition had gathered enough valid signatures to force a recall election of Ken Valentine.
Mayor Bruce Boyer said the election will be May 12.
The recall petition accuses Valentine of failing to represent the majority of his constituents and pushing divisive issues.
Valentine, who was elected in 2005, said he has no intention of resigning.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
NY comal floater

Georgetown, TX

#31 Mar 4, 2007
I typically don't find myself posting things like this, but I was looking for links to send my sister, of our planned float down the river this summer, and came across this site. I am new to TX, originally fron NY, and was planning a huge trip for my family in NY to come visit me this summer, and float down the river. I have been bragging, and bragging on how much fun it is to float, for they have never experienced anything like it. I told them how laid back, and relaxing it was... and now I find out all of this! My sister has 3 young children... and TX is VERY hot, especially for a New Yorker. How are 6 drinks supposed to be enough for a 4 hour float? Forget the alcohol... how are we supposed to stay hydrated??? What this law will do, when passed, is force the people that want to drink on the river, to bring 6 beers, instead of beer and WATER. I have a feeling this will lead to many law suits in the future. Am I wrong? This just seems a little rediculous. So now I am supposed to tell my family, and their children, to each lug around a personal cooler? Well that should go over well. hmmmm... where is the Frio exactly, and how do I get there?
Big KEVIN the PLAYA

Austin, TX

#32 Mar 27, 2007
yo, g, check it, now these new laws be frontin on our raights. They be opressin us niglets like they be doin fo centuries. We just tryin to float down that riva, thuggin as we alwayz do yall, and they straigt up squarin us like Snoopy on B.I.G. I was watchin da B to the E to the T on my stolen 62" plasma tv the otha day and i found out that you dont even have the raights to be trippin in public anymore... They takin away mah freedoms. what they done gonna take away next my raight to eat chiken? This is whack dawg!!!!
Chris

Nacogdoches, TX

#33 Apr 2, 2007
I make a fraternity trip down the Comal usually once per summer... like Dustin said, now people will bring a six pack of coke/sprite and a 5th of Jim Beam in a plastic bottle... now they will be dealing with even worse drunks than before
Local

Boulder, CO

#34 May 8, 2007
The river doesn't belong to anyone, including you. And it doesn't sound like you have ANY say in the issue anyhow Mr. "i am from Nowhere, Texas. This is OUR town and we can't stand you ignorant tourists and your whiny bratty little pieces of shit. Go find a state park somewhere and leave us alone.
willyb

Dallas, TX

#35 May 14, 2007
Ok.
So I am going to be attending a VERY large party of floaters this coming Sunday (5/20).

Can I bring a "normal" sized cooler, or will I go to jail?

From what I've followed on this thread.....I think that I will be ok. But some definite clarification would be absolutely WONDERFUL!

Thanks guys for all of your help, and I think that these new laws that they are trying to impose upon us are absolutely ridiculous.
Still Tubing

Center, TX

#36 May 18, 2007
The part of the guadalupe river that is affected by the restrictions,,,, hardly anyone floats anyway.

If you get out at gruene road (which 90% of the people do) you can bring as much beer as you can carry, show your tits as much as you want, and bring as many jello shots as possible
Kelby

United States

#37 May 18, 2007
willyb wrote:
Ok.
So I am going to be attending a VERY large party of floaters this coming Sunday (5/20).
Can I bring a "normal" sized cooler, or will I go to jail?
From what I've followed on this thread.....I think that I will be ok. But some definite clarification would be absolutely WONDERFUL!
Thanks guys for all of your help, and I think that these new laws that they are trying to impose upon us are absolutely ridiculous.
If you float the comal or south of Gruene, the biggest cooler you can bring is a 16 quart cooler.

And as for you self-righteous residents of the rivers, I spit on you. I have lived in Gruene since 1978. River life has never changed until now. With you tourists moving in and buying property on our rivers, property only available after 3 floods, you think you can change a city tradition. I can't wait for the next BIG flood. I'll be floating with a 54 quart cooler along with your house.
Katy from Crosby Tx

United States

#38 May 20, 2007
I think that the uppity people who want this law passed should remember when they were young college kids and all the stuff they did.Who cares if people want to drink beer and float(damn) and for the people who bring kids!!! Why!!! that is no place for young children anyway it have you people ever heard of babysitters or shclitterbahn(gosh) these people are just jealous because their old and cant party like they used to so they have to bitch.I think this law is the most stupid law ever.And I doubt it will last so ha ha!
Sara

Round Rock, TX

#39 May 29, 2007
Whether or not this council chooses to believe it, college kids and young adults WILL find a way to get drunk while floating! Already the river has lost business because of people going to the Blanco or the Frio river instead! How is that helping their cities economy!!?? I've floated maybe 200 times (having lived in San Marcos for 5 years)...and I know for a fact that I can't imagine a float with out getting a little tipsy! Maybe the council should focus on safer ways for people to get home or to their hotels than trying to control how much people consume. Because, in the end, we will find our way around it and still have the same fun we used to!
Leanne

Houston, TX

#40 May 30, 2007
Dustin wrote:
Let them pass the new ordinances, I'll take a fifth of whiskey and get drunker then they ever wanted me to.
AMEN!!! Thats exactly what I will do!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Braunfels Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New wireless phone service in Schertz!! Apr 24 T-mobile Schertz 1
Marissa escobedo Apr 20 Persona 1
Ashley Adami Apr 19 persona 2
News Settlement offered to Silver State students (Dec '09) Apr 12 SSH former student 71
Stormy Days Apr 4 Lil_biscuit 1
Friday (May '16) Apr 4 Lil_biscuit 5
News Fire at Gary Job Corps (Sep '08) Mar '17 Locotime247 15

New Braunfels Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Braunfels Mortgages