16-year-old found guilty in Casco Township murder

A jury found a 16-year-old boy guilty Thursday of first-degree murder, armed robbery and two counts of larceny for the May 31 beating and stabbing death of a 43-year-old Casco Township woman. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
OUTRAGED

Cleveland, OH

#1 Oct 23, 2006
I am writing this because of how completely appalled I am after the guilty verdict of Raymond Carp. Please don't misunderstand; what happened to that woman was unfathomable to say the least. I also feel like there should be some sort of punishment for Raymond because he failed to inform the authorities right away. I am not a stupid person but I am admittedly ignorant when it comes to the law. I don't understand how duress can be left out of such an important decision. One that has put a then 15 year old behind bars for the rest of his natural life without the possibility of parole. It has been all over the news that Samantha Bachynski has testified in her own defense that she only participated in brutally murdering that pregnant woman and her husband because she feared for her life. During Raymond's trial the mere word duress was not allowed. This was a 15 year old that watched his brother torture a woman and had no participation in actually killing her. He never physically touched the woman and was made to stay in the home against his will. Yet the fact that his life was being threatened by his own brother was not allowed to be a determining factor in the jury's decision. Why then is this woman allowed to waste the courts time after all it was 3 innocent people she physically helped murder. Not only was duress left out but the fact that this boy's brother has had an extremely violent past and therefore Raymond's fear of him was understandable. Another important thing that I want people to understand is that for years the family had tried to gain custody of Raymond, because of the horrendous living conditions this boy had to endure. The state time after time failed this boy, making appointments to visit his home, obviously giving his mother time to get food in the home and clean up. Neglect, abuse, and the feeling of knowing that your own mother doesn't care the way she should has brought this boy to where he is today. On that dreadful night a 15 year old had no business being out of the house that late on a school night, or left in the care of an already violent, unstable person, brother or not. The lack of parenting of this boy has inevitably led to where he is today, indirectly or not. If Samantha Bachynski is allowed to use duress as part of her defense, being an adult, then where is the justice for the 15 year old tried as an adult now sitting in prison for the rest of his life. The system has failed him over and over again. In my opinion the system has also failed Ms. McNeely. Thank you for your time.
Heartbroken

Des Plaines, IL

#2 Oct 24, 2006
OUTRAGED wrote:
I am writing this because of how completely appalled I am after the guilty verdict of Raymond Carp. Please don't misunderstand; what happened to that woman was unfathomable to say the least. I also feel like there should be some sort of punishment for Raymond because he failed to inform the authorities right away. I am not a stupid person but I am admittedly ignorant when it comes to the law. I don't understand how duress can be left out of such an important decision. One that has put a then 15 year old behind bars for the rest of his natural life without the possibility of parole. It has been all over the news that Samantha Bachynski has testified in her own defense that she only participated in brutally murdering that pregnant woman and her husband because she feared for her life. During Raymond's trial the mere word duress was not allowed. This was a 15 year old that watched his brother torture a woman and had no participation in actually killing her. He never physically touched the woman and was made to stay in the home against his will. Yet the fact that his life was being threatened by his own brother was not allowed to be a determining factor in the jury's decision. Why then is this woman allowed to waste the courts time after all it was 3 innocent people she physically helped murder. Not only was duress left out but the fact that this boy's brother has had an extremely violent past and therefore Raymond's fear of him was understandable. Another important thing that I want people to understand is that for years the family had tried to gain custody of Raymond, because of the horrendous living conditions this boy had to endure. The state time after time failed this boy, making appointments to visit his home, obviously giving his mother time to get food in the home and clean up. Neglect, abuse, and the feeling of knowing that your own mother doesn't care the way she should has brought this boy to where he is today. On that dreadful night a 15 year old had no business being out of the house that late on a school night, or left in the care of an already violent, unstable person, brother or not. The lack of parenting of this boy has inevitably led to where he is today, indirectly or not. If Samantha Bachynski is allowed to use duress as part of her defense, being an adult, then where is the justice for the 15 year old tried as an adult now sitting in prison for the rest of his life. The system has failed him over and over again. In my opinion the system has also failed Ms. McNeely. Thank you for your time.
I can't agree more with everything this person said. Raymond never had a fair chance at life after the death of his father, when he was only five. He has been a good boy all his life.It's such a shame that he had to have a brother so out of control that he would subject "Butchie" to seeing such a horrific crime that he did. It was inevitable that Brandon would spend the rest of his life behind bars, but I never thought he would take my little Butchie with him. He will probably be spending the rest of his life behind bars, the thought of that makes me want to throw up. He would never have done someting like this, ever. I hope Brandon doesn't take a plea and do anything less than the rest of his sick little life behind bars. I despise him for dragging my cousin down with him. They should hold their mother responsible and let Raymond come home to family that really loves him and will look out for his best interest.Thank you for whoever wrote that comment. I'm glad to see there are people out there that know our justice system stinks.
Kyle Dye

Brevard, NC

#3 Oct 25, 2006
OUTRAGED wrote:
At first I had an opinion.....raising three good, God fearing sons,(none perfect of course), has made us so, so grateful.
But being from Macomb Co. and having seen the downfall of morality, increase in crime, and..........I HAVE BEEN THERE to hear the excuses of defenders and lawyers, et al. That so called mother is guilty of more counts than she is being charged with. Thank GOD that our kids were taught the right way.
leila

Ypsilanti, MI

#4 Nov 1, 2006
i also no this person he was a good friend of my family his mom did have alot of proubles and as far as brandon he wasent that bad they dident get the disaplin they need thats for sur i think buchie should not be in this much trouble buchie was always a good boy...
Sue

Calumet, MI

#5 Nov 5, 2006
I am pleased to see there are others who realize both these boys were raised by a worthless mother. The only things she taught them were drugging and lying. I don't know Butchie, but my cousin Brandon would have led a good life had he gotten away from his mother's influence. His father and step-mother were trying to raise him and his sister right, until the courts returned them to their mother. The same woman who the courts said was INCAPABLE OF RAISING CHILDREN when they were toddlers, and placed them with their father. I know Brandon has a good heart; drugs and his mother's teaching (or lack of) have brought him to this terrible point in his young life. I never knew Butchie's dad, but I know he took his own life and I suspect drugs played a part in that as well. Brandon has attempted suicide several times. Both boys should be punished for Maryann's death. Obviously, the jury did not believe Butchie did nothing. I personally, having taken part in the judicial system, believe most of the time a jury makes a good decision based on the evidence provided them. Evidently, Butchie was not terrified of Brandon or he would have testified to that fact. Brandon testified that Butchie only threw a cup at Maryann, and missed, and that he directed Butchie to do so. The question is, when will their mother be punished for her role in the incident, as she obviously tried to help the boys cover it up?(Brandon called her after the murder) As you can see, both boys have been failed by authorities when they allowed their mother to raise them. Anyway, thanks for hearing the other side. God Bless and be with them both, and Maryann as well.
BFFE

Lowell, MI

#6 Nov 6, 2006
OUTRAGED wrote:
I'm replying because Butchie was my best friend and im not going to judge what was said here. The mother has many problems and could not help what was going on she has a bad head injury and her husband had commited suicide she has had a very hard time with all of this i i think it is wrong for her to be judged about something noone uinderstands.
dwalts

United States

#7 Nov 7, 2006
OUTRAGED wrote:
***talk about the pot calling the kettle black, how are your parenting skills?***butchie didn't want to come to your house for a reason!!
dwalts

United States

#8 Nov 8, 2006
leila wrote:
i also no this person he was a good friend of my family his mom did have alot of proubles and as far as brandon he wasent that bad they dident get the disaplin they need thats for sur i think buchie should not be in this much trouble buchie was always a good boy...
***i to am a friend of this family as far as i'm concerned brandon and his mother tried to get him help for years brandon knowing he had major anger control issues.as far as butchie is concerned he "is" a good boy. i was at alot of the trial and i can tell you there is so much more to this story that was not brought up by his so called payed for attorney, butchie would have been better off with an court appointed. so a little boy sits in prision most likely for the rest of his life. please pray for him
dwalts

United States

#9 Nov 9, 2006
Sue wrote:
I am pleased to see there are others who realize both these boys were raised by a worthless mother. The only things she taught them were drugging and lying. I don't know Butchie, but my cousin Brandon would have led a good life had he gotten away from his mother's influence. His father and step-mother were trying to raise him and his sister right, until the courts returned them to their mother. The same woman who the courts said was INCAPABLE OF RAISING CHILDREN when they were toddlers, and placed them with their father. I know Brandon has a good heart; drugs and his mother's teaching (or lack of) have brought him to this terrible point in his young life. I never knew Butchie's dad, but I know he took his own life and I suspect drugs played a part in that as well. Brandon has attempted suicide several times. Both boys should be punished for Maryann's death. Obviously, the jury did not believe Butchie did nothing. I personally, having taken part in the judicial system, believe most of the time a jury makes a good decision based on the evidence provided them. Evidently, Butchie was not terrified of Brandon or he would have testified to that fact. Brandon testified that Butchie only threw a cup at Maryann, and missed, and that he directed Butchie to do so. The question is, when will their mother be punished for her role in the incident, as she obviously tried to help the boys cover it up?(Brandon called her after the murder) As you can see, both boys have been failed by authorities when they allowed their mother to raise them. Anyway, thanks for hearing the other side. God Bless and be with them both, and Maryann as well.
****i'm sure you think your side of the "story" is correct, but why don't you get your facts straight. what's the real reason the kids were given back to their mother? check court records. i'm sure brandons father has had alot of sleepless nights . any murder is tragic, but the mistakes we make as parents don't cause a child to kill****
Sue

Calumet, MI

#10 Nov 9, 2006
dwalts wrote:
<quoted text>****i'm sure you think your side of the "story" is correct, but why don't you get your facts straight. what's the real reason the kids were given back to their mother? check court records. i'm sure brandons father has had alot of sleepless nights . any murder is tragic, but the mistakes we make as parents don't cause a child to kill****
Oh I know the real story - they went back to their mother because she gave them everything they wanted, including any illegal drug she could share with them. As for the court records you alude to, my sister was there when the so-called "incident" that started it all occurred; lies were told to get what they ultimately wanted: be sent to mommy where there are no rules, discipline or values. And I beg to differ, making the "mistake" - if you can call it that - of teaching your children to be drug addicts can cause them to kill, either directly or indirectly.

Since: Nov 06

Mentor, OH

#11 Nov 9, 2006
dwalts wrote:
<quoted text>****i'm sure you think your side of the "story" is correct, but why don't you get your facts straight. what's the real reason the kids were given back to their mother? check court records. i'm sure brandons father has had alot of sleepless nights . any murder is tragic, but the mistakes we make as parents don't cause a child to kill****
dwalts, I don't have to check court records, I know what that woman is like and how she raised those kids, both Brandon and his sister have stated that she was more of a friend than a mother, allowing them to do as they pleased. That she would even "party" with them providing them with the booze and drugs. They have even told me that their mother would make them steal things so she could pawn them to support her bad habits. Those are not the actions of a resonsible parent, are they? She has even put household utilities in one of her children's name, such as phone and cable, and never paid those bills (I've seen the credit reoport of that child). Both Brandon and his siter have confessed that what they did to their father and step-mother was wrong and that they did it because they had rules living with him and living with their mother they had none, so they did what their mother told them to do that would make the courts believe being placed back in her home would be best for them, even though, she has on several occassions attempted suicide. Attempted suicide being the reason the children were placed with the father when they were toddlers. I don't need to check court records, dwalts, the confessions of the children are all I need.

dwalts, we learn from our parents, dear, so in my opinion yes the actions of a parent with the major influence makes our children what they turn into as adults.

Mentor, OH

#12 Nov 9, 2006
Butchie, in my opinion is just as guilty as Brandon. He has testified in court that he was there during the murder and did nothing to try and stop it, he's also said as much in the taped interviews with the police. Even telling a friend that he held Maryann down and hit her in the head with a mug and handed Brandon the knife. Why would he tell a friend he did that if he didn't?

Butchie never stated in his testimony or his taped interviews that he was frightened of Brandon. He had opportunity to stop what was happening by leaving Maryann's home and getting help at a neighbors. He also had opportunity to report the incident afterward while Brandon was not around.

Hasn't anyone asked asked how Butchie got back home?
I beleive that after Brandon called his mother (she has said that he called her the night of the murder) that he drove Butchie home in the stolen car. I also beleive that Brandon and everyone in that household sat down at that time and discussed what was to happen next, his mother telling him that he had to dispose of evidence and how and where to dispose of it. I think she is as guilty as both Brandon and Butchie, she helped coverup the crime and on top of that waited over 24 hours to report the what happened to Maryann (for you dwalts, an interview with a reporter and printed in the newspaper is documentation of this, they state Margie reported it on June 1st, Thursday morning). She should be arrested, found guilty and be put in jail also.

I have to tell you all of an occassion I was in Butchie's home and she was angry with him. She told me that he had taken the cat and teased the dog with that cat, aggrevating the dog so much that he killed the cat. While she was telling me this, Butchie was standing in the kitchen and laughing about it. I was appalled that he thought that was funny, this left me with a bad impression of Butchie. When hearing of Butchie's arrest in Maryann's murder, I was reminded of that incident. I just had to share that with everyone. Thank you and God Bless

Mentor, OH

#13 Nov 9, 2006
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I know the real story - they went back to their mother because she gave them everything they wanted, including any illegal drug she could share with them. As for the court records you alude to, my sister was there when the so-called "incident" that started it all occurred; lies were told to get what they ultimately wanted: be sent to mommy where there are no rules, discipline or values. And I beg to differ, making the "mistake" - if you can call it that - of teaching your children to be drug addicts can cause them to kill, either directly or indirectly.
Yes, Sue I was there, I know everything that went happened and why it happened. Really ruined my visit with everyone.

Hey, dwalts, bet Margie forgot to tell you I was there. Ask her, I wouldn't let her in the house that day, I made her wait on the porch while her child packed so she could take the child with her. I don't need to check court records, I remember my testimony.

The court system today has made it too easy for a child to have parents charged with wrong doing. Back when I was a child, I couldn't go running to the police to file false charges against my parents just because they displined me and reprimanded me for doing or saying something wrong. The police officers would laugh in my face and send me back home. Children need structure, rules, and guidance to become responsible adults.
unknown

Muskegon, MI

#14 Nov 15, 2006
none of us know the true story and we never will, if butchie would have been taken out of his surroundings when his dad died he would never be in this position now. His mother, her boyfriend and brandens girlfriend all played a part in covering this up, they all should be charged with obstruction of justice, they all should share in responsibilty of this poor womans demise. His mother even now will take no responsibilty for any of this, how can she live with herself, when butch was surrounded by people that loved him she felt threatened,she needed his social security check or they would not have any money coming in at all. Well maybe she will finally have to go out and get a job, or maybe she'll just sue someone else, watch out it could be you, and she could be your next neighbor.
unknown

Muskegon, MI

#15 Nov 16, 2006
Well, we will never know ALL that really happened that night, other than Brandon did it and Maryann died a horrific death.
I do know that Marge Chris and brandons girlfriend all played a part in the cover up, and that none of them are being charged. That a misfortuned 15 year old who was in the wrong place at the wrong time is never gonna have another chance. he is going to live his life in prison, if he doesnt kill himself first.

Butch grew up with no structure after his father killed himself (although brandon may have done that too.) The only male roll model he had was his f$c@ked up brother with a record and no conscience. and mother who could care less about how they were raised.
I watched them grow up and when butch was still around the family members who did love and care for him he was a great kid. but then he became a teenager and it was no longer cool to go hang out with your family, friends and not not having any rules was a lot funner.

Its a shame to see what this has come to.

I truly feel that if butch had a part he should be punished. BUT I ALSO BELIEVE ALL POEPLE INVOLVED SHOULD BE CHARGED ALSO. I dont feel sorry for them. i feel sorry for butch because the system and his mother have failed him again.
She was instructed by the courts to not speak of the matter while the trial was going on to NO ONE. But could she keep her mouth shut NO. Four hours worth of phone conversations in one weekend they had of brandon talking to his mother and girfriend when they had been told not to. Marge is the reason the prosecuting attorney had addmissable evidence that she could manipulate for the jury to make butch look worse.

WHAT A SHAME.
Spunky

AOL

#16 Nov 23, 2006
Mitzie wrote:
Butchie, in my opinion is just as guilty as Brandon. He has testified in court that he was there during the murder and did nothing to try and stop it, he's also said as much in the taped interviews with the police. Even telling a friend that he held Maryann down and hit her in the head with a mug and handed Brandon the knife. Why would he tell a friend he did that if he didn't?
Butchie never stated in his testimony or his taped interviews that he was frightened of Brandon. He had opportunity to stop what was happening by leaving Maryann's home and getting help at a neighbors. He also had opportunity to report the incident afterward while Brandon was not around.
Hasn't anyone asked asked how Butchie got back home?
I beleive that after Brandon called his mother (she has said that he called her the night of the murder) that he drove Butchie home in the stolen car. I also beleive that Brandon and everyone in that household sat down at that time and discussed what was to happen next, his mother telling him that he had to dispose of evidence and how and where to dispose of it. I think she is as guilty as both Brandon and Butchie, she helped coverup the crime and on top of that waited over 24 hours to report the what happened to Maryann (for you dwalts, an interview with a reporter and printed in the newspaper is documentation of this, they state Margie reported it on June 1st, Thursday morning). She should be arrested, found guilty and be put in jail also.
I have to tell you all of an occassion I was in Butchie's home and she was angry with him. She told me that he had taken the cat and teased the dog with that cat, aggrevating the dog so much that he killed the cat. While she was telling me this, Butchie was standing in the kitchen and laughing about it. I was appalled that he thought that was funny, this left me with a bad impression of Butchie. When hearing of Butchie's arrest in Maryann's murder, I was reminded of that incident. I just had to share that with everyone. Thank you and God Bless
The women that these TWO murdered was my aunt. The women did not have a fighting chance against those two. I'm just totally upset that the state of Michigan does not believe in the death penalty. For what ever part that those two had in the death of my aunt, I believe that they should be tortured (may I remind everyone for over 2 hours), stabbed and left there to die as well. The only justice that our family will have is when Brandon will be in jail for life plus with the torture charge. The only unjustice that I see that has happened will be a women that was murdered that will never see her two unborn grandchildren. She will never beable to hold them, kiss them, tell them that she loves them should I remind everyone that they took that from her as well as her children. Final justice will be served when Brandon is behind bars for life plus. God will help us seek the final justice in her murder. Thank you....
skip

East China, MI

#17 Nov 23, 2006
you all should post in the port huron times herald as well, I've been posting there on behalf of Maryann . glad them 2 will spend their lives behind bars and be tortured by other inmates,see how they like it.... Michigan needs capital punishment for this sort of crime,maybe it will stop all the killing going on.Maryann was a good person w/ a kind heart,she had her ups & downs in life{like we all do ] but was always willing to help anyone with anything. She is missed but NOT FORGOTTEN...
anonymous

Mount Prospect, IL

#18 Nov 23, 2006
okay, well, i'm glad to see everyone so interested in Butchie's welfare now that it is too late..yes we all cared, but nobody cared enough to do something WHEN WE COULD HAVE. we all let that little boy live in that situation, knowing full well everything that went on there. THAT MAKES US GUILTY TOO. i personally believe that maryann (a drug addict) and Brandon (another drug addict) got into a fight, during which time Brandon lost control (probably because she landed a good shot or two on him). knowing Butchie, and that entire family since it began, i can only assume that Butchie made a bad decision and is paying for it with his life. But look at the role models he had...people who base THEIR LIVES on immoral values and bad desicions. Should Butchie spent the rest of his life in prison..no way...should he pay for his involvement...yes. to the person that said Margie knew about it and they sat around and DISCUSSED IT??? what planet are you from? this was carried out without her help or advice, and as far as waiting to call the police...would YOU call the police on YOUR children? BRANDON commited this crime, and it is brandn who should pay....someone can sit here and tell me to jump off a bridge all day, but am i going to do it? NO WAY. the same goes for blaming everything on Margie. yes, she was an influence, but she was not the only one, and she did not control him, for sure. If Margie or Kodofee or Brandon's friends is to blame in this case, then why is Janelle doing so well? people make their own decisions. it's just sad that butchie got turned int a martyr by the court system. IF all you supporters of Butchie want to blame someone, blame Politics.
anonymous

Mount Prospect, IL

#19 Nov 23, 2006
by the way for everyone who wants to argue against skip, we all know that's maryanns husband, the ahem "alleged" child molester....
peaches

Roscommon, MI

#20 Nov 23, 2006
Dear Anonymous,
I to know the family very well. Butchie lived at my home for 7 years. Never had a problem with him at all. Everything you have said about Mom is true. Also , i didn't call on her and the kids because i was affraid we would never see Butchie again. so i just continued to take care of butchie while his mom was out spending weeks and months shacking up with guys. Yes Brandon and Jenell had the run of the house. But butchie was well taken care of. We clothed and feed him, helped him with his home work and got him to school. But then when Mom decided to come home, he would have to return. But he was back at my house everyday. She never thanked us for anything. We took him on all vacations with us and she never called. I would make butchie call her and she was never around. Then after 7 years of spending time with us, he got hurt up north , and she turned around and tried to sue us. That's the thanks you get for helping. I will be helping on his appeal. Because i saw a lot that went on in that home. I can tell you what happened was absolutly horrific and i feel for the family of Maryann. But i can also tell you that Butchie was scared and he did tell the police that he was scared. He doesn't deserve to be where he is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Metalhead Miner Lego Giveaway!!!!! 21 hr Xxdeadskyexx 1
Metro Detroit starting to get it: Without a vit... Oct 10 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 3
Harsher penalties for animal abusers? (Sep '09) Oct 1 Tulsa Tom 3
andrea wilson Sep '14 very concerned 1
'He could've saved Mark's life' (Jan '08) Sep '14 Margaret Marschke 24
Friend of the Court, Department of Social Servi... (Aug '06) Aug '14 angell 22
Judge denies parole request for man in 1997 Eas... Aug '14 rgv 1
New Baltimore Dating
Find my Match

New Baltimore Jobs

New Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

New Baltimore News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New Baltimore