New Albany superintendent Castle to r...

New Albany superintendent Castle to resign

There are 122 comments on the ThisWeek Community Newspapers story from Jun 2, 2010, titled New Albany superintendent Castle to resign. In it, ThisWeek Community Newspapers reports that:

The New Albany-Plain Local school board plans to meet Tuesday, June 8, to approve the resignation of Superintendent Steve Castle, according to an agenda the district released June 7. The board will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the Jeanne B. McCoy Community Center for the Arts to hear a "motion to approve the agreement clarifying terms of separation between ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ThisWeek Community Newspapers.

LOL

Groveport, OH

#102 Jun 9, 2010
Mike Jenkins wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding me?? You obviously have not be in or know what is going on in 95% of the Districts in Ohio. What NA schools and the taxpayers provide for the students are head and shoulders above most all schools in Ohio. Don't talk to me about field trips, facilities, quality of teachers, and opportunities for kids in NA. They have a huge advantage over 95% of the kids in Ohio and the nation. If I recall, this BOE was AGAINST asking for another tax levy. This included facilities to relieve the overcrowding. They were against renewal of the Permanent Improvement levy that would have ensured that dollars would be there to maintain our taj-mahal buildings and facilities. Don't give me the crap that this community has failed its students. All students in this District have more than their share of an opportunity to learn and be "enriched"! Some responsibility needs to be laid at the feet of each childs parent. Regardless of Castle, the BOE wasted over $400k on a buy-out and another on $709 per day for an interim superintendent. THAT is money that could have gone towards more opportunities for our kids.
If you were really worth the UA zip code you could afford your taxes and private school.
Lady

Columbus, OH

#103 Jun 9, 2010
WhosTheParent wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, "Outsider". Unfortunately, sometimes we make awful decisions--we think only of ourselves and never consider the effect our actions have on our children. I have had several "opportunities" to speak/work with Dr. Castle and actually have an e-mail directly from him that shows just how huge a disappointment the man is. But...let's not allow this blight to define who we are as a community. It's an expensive lesson, no doubt. However, what's past is past and I pray that we learn from our mistakes and move forward by becoming more involved and more vocal parents (if that's possible).
If you take a look at the stats, yours are pretty tight. You have high grad rates and nice remediation stats ( 8 & 20 ) which prove those diplomas mean what they say. They didn't pass your kids through just to get rid of them.

To those of us on the outside looking in - yours is a system to be proud of, and worthy of defending it. Getting rid of the wrong peopole at the right time will ensure it stays that way.

Our only alternative is to scrap what we have and join a state-wide system where the entire day, minute by mintue, is mandated by the State. None of us want that for our kids.
Trapped

Lima, OH

#104 Jun 10, 2010
NA Parent wrote:
First off, I say job well done by the NA BOE. The support is overwelming to do whatever it would take to get to get a new superintendant in NA. The majority of the parents in the distict,including myself would be happy to use our tax dollars to pay him off. The prior board should have never extended his contract, and the November election of all new school board members demonstates that fact. So congrats BOE, nice work! NA Schools can once again move forward.
PS - I laugh at all the complaining about tax dollars, if you dont want high taxes, move! You get what you pay for. If you want top notch schools, parks, fire department, streets - live in New Albany and pay the taxes. If not, move to Columbus and enjoy!
Funnily enough, I would LOVE to move to Columbus and invest the difference in taxes in a private education for my kid. However, with foreclosed homes and many others for sale at significantly lower values than 5 years ago, chances are not good that we'd find a buyer without taking a significant hit. Having put a child through the system already, I can say the quality of education has declined in the last 5 years at the elementary school level. Not laying blame solely on the super, or on the BOE, but the perception of shady backroom deals, novice BOE members, and the petty small town finger-pointing is surely not going to boost property values or make the schools better.
A Community Member

Columbus, OH

#105 Jun 10, 2010
To "Really"
He didn't snub anyone at the club...that was his problem, he didn't play with boys at the club. New Albany Community better get prepared it's the New Albany Company that wants to run the district. Look at the board....three have direct ties to NACO. I say let NACO pay for his buyout....oh wait, they probably already did!!!
Taxed Enough

Westerville, OH

#106 Jun 10, 2010
Ah ha finally a "Truther" appears
Reality

United States

#107 Jun 11, 2010
really wrote:
<quoted text>
sounds to me like a couple of mom's got **** off and ran for school board with an agenda. unfortunately, they were elected. paying his salary is cheaper than a lawsuit. hope they are happy because he is the big winner not their agenda.
EXACTLY! Repeat it over and over, "Castle is the real winner and not the agenda of the new house-marm school board."
Reality

United States

#108 Jun 11, 2010
A Community Member wrote:
To "Really"
He didn't snub anyone at the club...that was his problem, he didn't play with boys at the club. New Albany Community better get prepared it's the New Albany Company that wants to run the district. Look at the board....three have direct ties to NACO. I say let NACO pay for his buyout....oh wait, they probably already did!!!
Believe me, he would have played with the big boys if he wasn't so arrogant. He thought he could have all they had to offer and then some. He treated our community and many individual parents and taxpayers like shit for the five years he was here. Make no mistake, he is and always had been a drunk, self-absorbed freak and only in New Albany would this guy have been given any legitimacy. It may well be "over" but the wounds this guy inflicted will live on for many years to come. SHAME ON THE NAPLS BOE.
Reality

United States

#109 Jun 11, 2010
A Community Member wrote:
To "Really"
And don't forget, he was the product of a "nationwide search" when Ralph Johson retired. And came to us all the way from Delaware, OH. In case you ca't tell, I am BITTER and DISGUSTED.
Previous Co-Worker

Zanesville, OH

#110 Jun 11, 2010
He is a good man and more importantly a great educator who cares for kids. This board of education deserves to pay the price and lose credibility for making it difficult for Dr. Castle to do his job. Dr. Castle deserves this pay and respect from a community he served well for many years.
FIRE CASTLE NOW

Columbus, OH

#111 Jun 11, 2010
Previous Co-Worker wrote:
He is a good man and more importantly a great educator who cares for kids. This board of education deserves to pay the price and lose credibility for making it difficult for Dr. Castle to do his job. Dr. Castle deserves this pay and respect from a community he served well for many years.
REALLY?

You're talking about a guy who used a PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESS to conspire with a former political campaign "hitman" and pollster to hold the community hostage to pass the last levy. This is a good man, huh?

Someone in another district got his hands on the email in the course of a public records request he submitted on his own district (Olentangy--another den of thieves).

Quote: "The time for some political pain is way overdue in [New Albany]."

Quote: "I must have cut list."

You'll see the pollster proposing that NAPL create a "blue ribbon panel" of respected community leaders to give the levy "external credibility". In other words, they used the time and effort that some of you so graciously gave to the district for no other purpose than to put a stamp of approval on the levy that Castle & Co. had already been intent to pass, regardless of community input.

And this is a good man???

There are behavior clauses in every contract. Teachers get fired for lesser deceptions. Castle should be fired out right for this deception.

Here's the link to Castle and Co's (including Treasurer Brian Ramsay) sneaky, disgusting email. This is how the game is played in ALL school districts. Castle just got caught. And he deserves to be fired. Not paid to be "immediate past superintendent", but FIRED.

http://antipositivist.blogspot.com/2009/05/pl...

Here's the quote
Thanks

Columbus, OH

#112 Jun 12, 2010
Thanks for posting that link. I studied that site carefully last night, and wow - one little mismanaged email CLEARLY illustrates how systems function on the inside.

We have a lot of work to do. I'm glad to see a community actually doing it. Best wishes.
Funny

Bellefontaine, OH

#113 Jun 12, 2010
FIRE CASTLE NOW wrote:
<quoted text>
REALLY?
You're talking about a guy who used a PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESS to conspire with a former political campaign "hitman" and pollster to hold the community hostage to pass the last levy. This is a good man, huh?
Someone in another district got his hands on the email in the course of a public records request he submitted on his own district (Olentangy--another den of thieves).
Quote: "The time for some political pain is way overdue in [New Albany]."
Quote: "I must have cut list."
You'll see the pollster proposing that NAPL create a "blue ribbon panel" of respected community leaders to give the levy "external credibility". In other words, they used the time and effort that some of you so graciously gave to the district for no other purpose than to put a stamp of approval on the levy that Castle & Co. had already been intent to pass, regardless of community input.
And this is a good man???
There are behavior clauses in every contract. Teachers get fired for lesser deceptions. Castle should be fired out right for this deception.
Here's the link to Castle and Co's (including Treasurer Brian Ramsay) sneaky, disgusting email. This is how the game is played in ALL school districts. Castle just got caught. And he deserves to be fired. Not paid to be "immediate past superintendent", but FIRED.
http://antipositivist.blogspot.com/2009/05/pl...
Here's the quote
I hate Steve Castle as much as anyone and am glad he is gone but this email chain actually implicates others much more than Castle. I think there are many other facts especially about his improper conduct that are much more powerful arguments to remove him. He is morally and ethically bankrupt and the facts supporting this were more than enough to fire him long ago.
FIRE CASTLE NOW

Columbus, OH

#114 Jun 12, 2010
Thanks wrote:
Thanks for posting that link. I studied that site carefully last night, and wow - one little mismanaged email CLEARLY illustrates how systems function on the inside.
We have a lot of work to do. I'm glad to see a community actually doing it. Best wishes.
...and...do you think that was the only one? Was Fedako so lucky that he just happened to capture the only existing secret communication that was made? I certainly don't think so.

Possibly the most important decisions Castle took as superintendent were proposed on that email (the proposal of the "cuts list" device that was used to pass the 2009 levy). "Routine" district business was not discussed on that email, rather, important business was discussed that indefinitely impacted every taxpayer and resident of NAPL.
FIRE CASTLE NOW

Columbus, OH

#115 Jun 12, 2010
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate Steve Castle as much as anyone and am glad he is gone but this email chain actually implicates others much more than Castle. I think there are many other facts especially about his improper conduct that are much more powerful arguments to remove him. He is morally and ethically bankrupt and the facts supporting this were more than enough to fire him long ago.
But where is the smoking gun? The facts you point to are a composite of circumstantial evidence. Here he and Ramsay are nailed dead-to-rights in a discussion to strong-arm the community into raising its property taxes.

1.) What was proposed on that email was adopted by Castle for the levy campaign.
2.) Castle hired the sleazy consultants and communications director.

I don't "hate" Steve Castle. In fact, I feel bad for him in a way. The email clearly shows that he was reluctant to implement a "cut list" up to that point, so I do credit him for have a conscience. His sleazy consultants' crass arguments in the email exchange obviously swayed him adopt such a deceptive strategy, though. That said, he made terrible choices and now has to answer for them.
Taxed Enough

Nashport, OH

#116 Jun 12, 2010
This gun is smoking!

Read this article.. http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/newa...

This was fraud plain and simple and it is incumbent upon NAPLS to prove it wasn't, and to prove it wasn't, they would need to be completely inept!

All the contracts were signed around the same time, FACT!

Olentangy School 13,000 students paid $20Kyr
Pickerington 10,000 kids Paid $24Kyr
Dublin 17,000 students paid $36K yr
Westerville 14,000 students paid $36K yr
New Albany 4,000 student paid $60K

"Steve Castle provided examples of Gagne's work....eight press releases written between May 21 and Aug. 18, 2008"

Why didn't Carole Dorn Bell who came from Olentangy scream about this when she got here. Well she now works for Joel Gagne hmmmmm

And that bag of wind Goedeking had the nerve to stand up and talk about wasteful spending!!!
FIRE CASTLE NOW

Columbus, OH

#117 Jun 12, 2010
Oh yeah--I remember that article. That's priceless.

But, it's not their money, so they don't care about the value-cost proposition. Communications director? Ah--s/he's window dressing. Pay a consultant to do press releases at $7,500 a pop--who cares? It's a rubber stamp-board, right? Why bother comparison shopping or bargaining when it's not your money? Just pad your budgets across the board with 15%-20% contingencies, and the board will approve it--no questions asked. They're there to do whatever the superintendent tells them to do, right?

No longer.

I just hope the new majority pulls the plug on Castle's payroll status. He should no longer be on the payroll. It's a disservice to every member of the community that Castle continues to draw a paycheck.
LOL

Groveport, OH

#118 Jun 13, 2010
Mike Jenkins wrote:
Obviously this Board of Education has LIED to all those who voted them in for the "sake of change". They were clueless BEFORE they were elected and continue to be CLUELESS. Nice use of taxpayers dollars!! At least those teachers raises given last year were for people working in their jobs!! What the BOE has done is FAR worse than what they preached and campaigned on. Time for a recall of these BOE members! Sickening! I wonder if the finance committee knew of this crap. Looks like our BOE is no different than BP Oil when it comes to transparency and honesty! The cost of this "buy-out" is 5 teachers!! WE WILL REMEMBER THIS BOE!
Bottom line is he has done nothing wrong to remove him from his job. Sounds like he just pissed off a few helicopter moms that were elected to school board. Thought you people were smarter than the rest of central Ohio!
LOL

Groveport, OH

#119 Jun 13, 2010
Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
If you take a look at the stats, yours are pretty tight. You have high grad rates and nice remediation stats ( 8 & 20 ) which prove those diplomas mean what they say. They didn't pass your kids through just to get rid of them.
To those of us on the outside looking in - yours is a system to be proud of, and worthy of defending it. Getting rid of the wrong peopole at the right time will ensure it stays that way.
Our only alternative is to scrap what we have and join a state-wide system where the entire day, minute by mintue, is mandated by the State. None of us want that for our kids.
You are a fool no matter where you post your ridiculous as well as biased opinions and solutions. I can almost hear the vacuum cleaner in the background as you suck up. ANYTHING to make SWCS look bad. Please. You are one of the first we need to get rid of to improve SWCS district. Please take your trailer and move to UA. They are really looking to diversify.
ponyup

Groveport, OH

#120 Jun 13, 2010
FIRE CASTLE NOW wrote:
Oh yeah--I remember that article. That's priceless.
But, it's not their money, so they don't care about the value-cost proposition. Communications director? Ah--s/he's window dressing. Pay a consultant to do press releases at $7,500 a pop--who cares? It's a rubber stamp-board, right? Why bother comparison shopping or bargaining when it's not your money? Just pad your budgets across the board with 15%-20% contingencies, and the board will approve it--no questions asked. They're there to do whatever the superintendent tells them to do, right?
No longer.
I just hope the new majority pulls the plug on Castle's payroll status. He should no longer be on the payroll. It's a disservice to every member of the community that Castle continues to draw a paycheck.
Fire him for WHAT? It is a disservice to members of the community that your school board has no grounds to fire him. Ponie up cause you will be paying one way or the other.
Football player

Independence, OH

#121 Jun 14, 2010
Can we get the $400K back for field turf???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Albany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Eastland Mall, at 50, remains popular among nei... 47 min REALITY 5
News Startup EmpowerBus rolls for greater social mob... 13 hr They cannot kill ... 2
News Reynoldsburg man dies after trying to get off I... (Mar '17) Feb 17 A Real Reynoldsbu... 9
WOW censorship very alive Feb 11 Hillary rocks 1
News Columbus bishop accused of sexually abusing and... Feb 10 hey now 5
The Dressel's Feb 10 Dave 1
News Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions (Jun '06) Feb 10 a1 b2 c3 d4 e5 f6... 2,949

New Albany Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Albany Mortgages