Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
149,441 - 149,460 of 200,336 Comments Last updated 15 hrs ago

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Only tactic
Only? No, you have 7 of them..
LurnaDoones

Baldwin Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Still stalking people, I see.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Only? No, you have 7 of them..
Stupid, I was talking about your only tactic.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid, I was talking about your only tactic.
Pot, meet kettle.

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Pot, meet kettle.
Do you think Rose_NoHo maybe had a stroke or something? Maybe she's over medicated?

Seriously, she used to be almost credible with some decent arguments. For quite a while she's just been a blathering idiot. What do you think is up with the old girl? I can't ask her. She won't talk to me.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no debating with single celled tranny ho's.......
There's no debating with single-cell brainless idiots like yourself who have nothing to being to the discussion except insults towards a poster who has obviously kicked your azz on more than one occasion......lol!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Pot, meet kettle.
Another one who just has to hurdle insults towards Rose because obviously she has gotten under your skin........why don't you simply ignore her if ya don't like her comments? or maybe that's just it......you need to insult her in order to make yourself feel better.......either way your tactics only make you look small.....and I don't believe you are!!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Rose, it's easy to look up, not so easy for you to comprehend.
You do realize why Loving V Virginia referenced Skinner V Oklahoma when making the statement that marriage was a "right" don't you? Because that was the SOURCE..
It's OK puppet, we don't expect much from you.
But Skinner vs Oklahoma wasn't about the right to marry, it was about the right to procreate and that the right couldn't be taken away just like the right to marry can't be taken away!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Another one who just has to hurdle insults towards Rose because obviously she has gotten under your skin........why don't you simply ignore her if ya don't like her comments? or maybe that's just it......you need to insult her in order to make yourself feel better.......either way your tactics only make you look small.....and I don't believe you are!!!!
Yawn..

“Formerly Frankie Rizzo”

Since: Sep 12

Canarsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no debating with single-cell brainless idiots like yourself who have nothing to being to the discussion except insults towards a poster who has obviously kicked your azz on more than one occasion......lol!!!
She says while insulting the poster and bringing nothing to the discussion.

Priceless!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
But Skinner vs Oklahoma wasn't about the right to marry, it was about the right to procreate and that the right couldn't be taken away just like the right to marry can't be taken away!!!
Time for an Education:

"Marriage and procreation are fundamental to the very existence and survival of the race." Skinner v. Oklahoma ex rel. Williamson - 316 U.S. 535 (1942)

Note that there is no citation- Why? Because it is the SOURCE!!

What is different about Loving v Virginia?

"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535, 541 (1942). "

Oh, look at that, a citation. Imagine that, the SCOTUS referenced Skinner v Oklahoma when establishing a "right" to marriage.

And you explanation in regards to the meaning of the Skinner v Oklahoma is lacking as well.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Time for an Education:
"Marriage and procreation are fundamental to the very existence and survival of the race." Skinner v. Oklahoma ex rel. Williamson - 316 U.S. 535 (1942)
"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535, 541 (1942). "
Oh, look at that, a citation. Imagine that, the SCOTUS referenced Skinner v Oklahoma when establishing a "right" to marriage.
And you explanation in regards to the meaning of the Skinner v Oklahoma is lacking as well.
Nonsense. There is no marriage license required for procreation. Skinner was a 40s court decision about mandatory sterilization of a mentally disabled individual. What's more, procreation is not a legal requirement of marriage. Procreation is a fundamental right and so is the right to marry the person of your choice.

Are you trying to be funny?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Mike DiRucci wrote:
<quoted text>
She says while insulting the poster and bringing nothing to the discussion.
Priceless!
I've brought to this discussion in the beginning.....now it's just a bunch of trolls who have nothing better to do but insult others.......and akpilot can yawn all he wants, but he usually has good stuff except when he lowers himself to a level of someone he can't seem to ignore!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense. There is no marriage license required for procreation. Skinner was a 40s court decision about mandatory sterilization of a mentally disabled individual. What's more, procreation is not a legal requirement of marriage. Procreation is a fundamental right and so is the right to marry the person of your choice.
Are you trying to be funny?
No, I was stating a fact. Since neither of us sit on the SCOTUS, it really doesn't matter what we think, so the best we can go on is the case law as it is.

The problem I have, is when people try to twist and distort a decision, such as trying to use the Loving v Skinner decision as some type of mandate for same sex marriage. Something which it clearly was not. And thus far, there is NO SCOTUS decision which mandates a right to marry the person of your "choice".

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I've brought to this discussion in the beginning.....now it's just a bunch of trolls who have nothing better to do but insult others.......and akpilot can yawn all he wants, but he usually has good stuff except when he lowers himself to a level of someone he can't seem to ignore!!!
Why would I ignore the court jester, she is so entertaining.

And as far as lowering myself to her level? Hardly, at least in my posts I am pointing out facts in regards to her behavior as well as providing examples of such with references to her previous posts. In order to lower myself to her level I would simply repeatedly post-

LOLSER and CONDUMB over and over again in reply to every post.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Time for an Education:
Actually what the courts are saying is that marriage and procreation are fundamental rights and neither can be denied.

Skinner was about a person who was going to be forced to be sterilized because people thought he was incapable of raising children due to his low intelligence........the Justices stated that the State can't do that because procreation is a FUNDAMENTAL right that can't be denied, for any reason. So, Skinner vs Oklahoma is purely about procreation.

Loving vs Virginia is strictly about being denied the fundamental right to marriage regardless of race.

Even though one is mentioned in the other.........the common link is that both marriage and procreation are FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS THAT CAN NOT BE DENIED!!!

I have learned so much about the cases that SCOTUS has ruled on regarding Marriage and Procreation and even though the 2 have been mentioned together......they don't go hand in hand!!!

Oh and I've been reading your posts for almost 4 years and we have even had discussions through pm......sorry, but the more I read these cases the more I understand that though both procreation and marriage are mentioned.......they are done so because they are major decisions in a couple's life.

I typically don't post to you, but just don't understand why you feel the need to continue to insult someone whom you think is not worth it in the first place.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually what the courts are saying is that marriage and procreation are fundamental rights and neither can be denied.
No, that is not what the courts have said, that is what people are ASKING the courts to say which is why this issue is yet to be resolved.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is not what the courts have said, that is what people are ASKING the courts to say which is why this issue is yet to be resolved.
Sorry, but in the past that is exactly what SCOTUS has stated and they might do it again with regards to Prop 8 or they might just rule on the Standing issue(though I seriously doubt that)........we will know by June if SCOTUS truly meant that marriage is a Fundamental right or if they only meant it to be fundamental for heterosexuals.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I ignore the court jester, she is so entertaining.
And as far as lowering myself to her level? Hardly, at least in my posts I am pointing out facts in regards to her behavior as well as providing examples of such with references to her previous posts. In order to lower myself to her level I would simply repeatedly post-
LOLSER and CONDUMB over and over again in reply to every post.
If that's entertainment for you......then you really need another form of entertainment......because truly after 4 years, it's just pathetic!!!

She has a right to post her opinions and if ya don't agree with them......and ya don't, then you have the right to counter them......but to continue to make the same comments over and over and over again, is rather redundant and boring......I think you are better than that and if I am wrong......well, then it wouldn't be the first time!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but in the past that is exactly what SCOTUS has stated and they might do it again with regards to Prop 8 or they might just rule on the Standing issue(though I seriously doubt that)........we will know by June if SCOTUS truly meant that marriage is a Fundamental right or if they only meant it to be fundamental for heterosexuals.
The issue is not "marriage", the issue is the definition of "marriage". In not ONE instance has the SCOTUS ever claimed anything other than the Union of a man and a woman to be a marriage. Could that definition change? Sure, but the question we really should ask ourselves is- do we want a federal court which lacks the authority of the Constitution to define marriage to make that decision?

Remember, they are also going to hear the DOMA case, which specifically was decided based on the premise that the regulation and definition of marriage rested with the State.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Nevada City Discussions

Search the Nevada City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 2 hr Sun tan baby 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 5 hr nw batteries 15,919
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Jul 22 Ronald 2,251
Steer that was set on fire gets new, safe home Jul 22 Kimber shaw 1
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Jul 21 Racjei 4,885
Artistry in the sand Jun '14 DBS 2
Restored - steam donkey' from Birchville Mine n... Jun '14 John Taubeneck 1
•••
•••
•••
Nevada City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Nevada City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000