Big Foot filmmaker sets sights on Humboldt - Humboldt Beacon

A resident of Nevada City, Calif., William Barnes is a modern-day explorer whose strong sense of wonder fuels his drive to uncover age-old mysteries that have haunted humankind for centuries. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rarely Comment

Caddo, OK

#1 Jan 28, 2010
You, sir, really should brush up on your history and spelling....

It is not a fact that the Patterson-Gimlin film has been discredited.

Please locate a spell check program, then use it.
Ken Hulsey

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Jan 28, 2010
When was the Patterson footage of Bigfoot ever "widely discredited"?

So far the footage has stood up to all scientific analysis. No one has ever been able to discredit it.

In fact, sceptics who have set out to prove the footage a hoax, have come away believers after putting it to the test.
deborah

Condon, OR

#3 Jan 28, 2010
if you look really closely at the film you will notice that it is a female...i have always wondered if these guys were trying to fake this what made them think that if they made it a female it would be more believable...in all the other sightings from what i have read about or watched this subject doesn't seem to come up or we assume it is male...and about the part of not finding any bones...what if they are smart enough to bury their dead...or take their lost family member to a place that they know will never be found...i have great respect for these creatures...they are not like man...they don't kill just for the sake of killing
daryl

Spokane, WA

#4 Jan 30, 2010
Interesting topic...poorly written article. At least use spell-checker or something. This looks like my twelve year old wrote it.
anahuy in Elk

United States

#5 Jan 30, 2010
Yes, the early film was discredited, even by their own family members, that the man created the suit out of Bear to look like the Yeti. Looks like some didn't catch the news a few years ago.
And all you folks who throw stones because someone didn't use spell check, or because you think the article was poorly written. I bet none of you ever spelled one word wrong in your life. Good for you! And to the ones who think they could write a better article, give it a try, because your posts really are something not to be desired.
Linda

Issaquah, WA

#6 Jan 30, 2010
What do you mean the Patterson film was widely discredited? My understanding is that it's been tested extensively with new technology and found to be, at the least, inconclusive if not genuine.
dicksmith666

Alameda, CA

#7 Feb 1, 2010
A few years back, Greg Long wrote "The Making of Bigfoot" blowing the lid off of the Patterson film. Long interviewed the man who allegedly wore the ape suit, receiving a detailed confession from him. That said, yes, the film is probably a fake, and the original print is lost, but this alone doesn't conclude that the big foot phenomena is completely bogus. The writer disparages only the Patterson film and not the efforts of the fellow from Nevada City. This is not unlike UFO's where there is a high percentage of fakery. But what of the 1 or 2% that can't be explained? Also, spell check is not 100% fool proof.
fard2266

Alameda, CA

#8 Feb 1, 2010
No sorry, the film has not held up to scientific scrutiny because it is only a FILM and a poor one at that. There are a number of youtube postings detailing the fakery angle. Also, according to Wikipedia:
"Bob Heironimus claims to have been the figure depicted in the Patterson film. Heironimus was a tall (6 ft), muscular Yakima, Washington native, age 26, when he says Patterson offered him $1000 to wear an ape suit for a Bigfoot film."
"Long uncovered testimony that corroborates Heironimus's claims: Russ Bohannon, a longtime friend, says that Heironimus revealed the hoax privately in 1968 or 1969."
Mikel Nix

Spartanburg, SC

#9 Feb 1, 2010
I'm glad to hear that someone is taking the Sasquatch research to the mainstream media, but your facts are a bit off. For those of us who follow the work of people like Dr. Jeff Meldrum of Idaho St. U., know that the Patterson-Gimlin film was never debunked. Just recently, Patterson's widow allowed a team of experts to study the original film to a degree that was not possible until recently. Some of these experts were debunkers from the beginning, yet after all was said and done, THE FILM WAS JUDGED BY ALL, TO BE GENUINE. If anything, the film is more credible than it ever has been. It stood up to the standards of the best of the best in bio-mechanics, graphic artists, physical anthropology, audio-lingustics, etc. If anyone is interested in the results of the latest research projects, go to the Nat-geo website. They just aired the entire episode on the Nat-Geo (National Geographic) Channel and I am certain that after you are familiarized with the actual testing, you will agree that the film in genuine.
Mikel Nix

Spartanburg, SC

#10 Feb 1, 2010
fard2266 wrote:
No sorry, the film has not held up to scientific scrutiny because it is only a FILM and a poor one at that. There are a number of youtube postings detailing the fakery angle. Also, according to Wikipedia:
"Bob Heironimus claims to have been the figure depicted in the Patterson film. Heironimus was a tall (6 ft), muscular Yakima, Washington native, age 26, when he says Patterson offered him $1000 to wear an ape suit for a Bigfoot film."
"Long uncovered testimony that corroborates Heironimus's claims: Russ Bohannon, a longtime friend, says that Heironimus revealed the hoax privately in 1968 or 1969."
Sorry, but the Bob H. claims are the only hoax here. It has taken over 40 yrs to finally concoct a story that supposedly debunks the film. Where were these guys when millions of dollars were offered to anyone with undisputed proof of the film's hoaxing or authenticity? In 2010, the original footage was released by Patterson's widow for scrutiny by a team of debunkers and believers. After all was said and done, the debunkers, to their credit, switched sides. The latest in film graphics, physical science, audio-linguistics, and make-up artistry, has finally reached a unanimous decision.
Those clowns from Yakima were discredited looooong (sic) ago. All it took was a few cases of beer and a $100 gift card to the Waffle House.
Ricardo

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Feb 2, 2010
There is no bigfoot; no hominid fossils other than from modern humans have ever been found on this side of the Atlantic. Such a large creature could never have stayed hidden for so long amongst a USA population of what? 300 million? without some actual sign of this creature being found. It is a nice fantasy, but that is all it is.
elvis

United States

#12 Feb 3, 2010
Ricardo wrote:
There is no bigfoot; no hominid fossils other than from modern humans have ever been found on this side of the Atlantic. Such a large creature could never have stayed hidden for so long amongst a USA population of what? 300 million? without some actual sign of this creature being found. It is a nice fantasy, but that is all it is.
and you know this how mr anthropologist
4hardlyelvin

Alameda, CA

#13 Feb 3, 2010
I think that I've read just about everything I can get my hands on concerning the creature, and I include the most recent research in my reading. To say there is "conclusive evidence," that's a huge exaggeration, a case of wishful thinking. Sure, it's an intriguing possibility, but it's not a likely one, and all we have is a grainy film. Why, with all the "sightings" have we not produced any other convincing films, especially in this digital age of easy filming? No remains either. I'm not convinced yet.
jzilla

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Feb 3, 2010
How they discredit the Patterson film? Still the best pieces of evidence around.
deborah

Condon, OR

#15 Feb 3, 2010
i just watched the patterson-gimlin film again and could plainly see that the creature was a female. i also noticed that by watching it over and over again the breast moved naturally not like they were fake orbs sewn onto a fur suit. i want who ever is serious about checking into the existence of these creatures to bring this subject up. i also just saw a film on why one of the reasons we can't find bones or other kind of evidence of this sort. they were saying that the denseness and the atmosphere of the deep forest doesn't preserve bones for any length of time. also the animals would pick over the carcass eating bones and scattering them everywhere. we all know that this can happen with the animals of the forest. and what if these creatures are smart enough to not leave their fallen behind. if they are smart enough to avoid us which they are if they exist why wouldn't it be possible for them to bury their dead. i do not have a closed mind just because there is something i don't understand or just because man hasn't found the answer to something. we have to always search for answers to everything. we can't give up on anything. technology is advancing amazingly faster everyday. frankly i am glad there are people out there that will always search for the answers to anything and never give up. we are not alone in this universe.
Ricardo

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Feb 4, 2010
4hardlyelvin wrote:
I think that I've read just about everything I can get my hands on concerning the creature, and I include the most recent research in my reading. To say there is "conclusive evidence," that's a huge exaggeration, a case of wishful thinking. Sure, it's an intriguing possibility, but it's not a likely one, and all we have is a grainy film. Why, with all the "sightings" have we not produced any other convincing films, especially in this digital age of easy filming? No remains either. I'm not convinced yet.
Yes, it is highly unlikely that such a creature exists. I think that what a noted debunker of paranormal claims (James Randi?- I just cannot remember who it was) said applies here as well (even though bigfoot does not belong to the paranormal sphere): "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". It is not up to the scientific 'establishment' to prove anything about bigfoot, it is up to the bigfoot supporters to come up with the evidence.
elvis

United States

#17 Feb 4, 2010
Why not have the scientific establishment step in and study this. What are they here for if not to study the things that are happening on our planet no matter how strange it seems. What is science? The study of anthropology, archeology, paleontology, astrology, need i go on. How about ufology. should we just leave it up to the ufo supporters to study the fact that we are being visited by species from other planets since before there where drawings on cave walls. Because it seems that's the only ones trying to prove that is happening here on earth.
Mikel Nix

Spartanburg, SC

#18 Feb 6, 2010
elvis wrote:
Why not have the scientific establishment step in and study this. What are they here for if not to study the things that are happening on our planet no matter how strange it seems. What is science? The study of anthropology, archeology, paleontology, astrology, need i go on. How about ufology. should we just leave it up to the ufo supporters to study the fact that we are being visited by species from other planets since before there where drawings on cave walls. Because it seems that's the only ones trying to prove that is happening here on earth.
Great points. I'm afraid that there has been a role reversal in the fields of science and the vastness of ignorance. In the middle ages scientists were burned at the stake for daring to question the status quo. The inquisitions were designed to silence independent thought and the audacity of scientific inquiry - Here we are, centuries later, living in a perpetual state of unshakable scientific denial. Mainstream science has taken on the role of "the prosecution", vilifying and deriding their peers who dare to question the stale and antiquated status quo. Take, for instance, the plight of the late Professor Grover Krantz of Washington State University. His belief and research into cryptozoology (mainly Sasquatch) cost him dearly. He often stated, "My university supports my research, they don't fire me". I'm wondering if Jeff Meldrum will suffer the same fate.
As far as the adage,'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof', there is a counter claim -'For believers no proof is necessary, for non-believers, no proof is possible'.
There is, of course, a timeless and far more prophetic claim by Shakespeare that I'm sure everyone is familiar with:
"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" (Oh Horatio)
Leave Big Foot ALONE

Eureka, CA

#19 Feb 9, 2010
Leave Big Foot ALONE

http://www.kulica.com/bigfoot.cfm
hubris420

Alameda, CA

#20 Feb 11, 2010
The scientific establishment has looked at it several times, but like anything else, a real good study relies on finances. The other thing that doesn't bode well for a serious investigation is that Patterson set out to find a Bigfoot, and by God, he "found" it quite readily! I'm amazed at the gullibility of so many people. Additionally, Patterson's life of cons has been well-documented. Lastly, those looking for Bigfoot never say what they would do if they ever found the thing. Wouldn't it unleash a huge witch hunt like nothing you've ever seen? The beast wouldn't stand a chance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nevada City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Little Shop of Horrors', a cult classic, bloss... Sep '14 Zombella 1
East Palo Alto's Highway 101 Ped/Bike Bridge Al... Aug '14 fishes 1
Restored - steam donkey' from Birchville Mine n... Aug '14 The right is wrong 2
Spa cover recommendation Aug '14 mmeisner 1
Patient blacklisting happens (Jul '06) Aug '14 GoodOleBoyNetwork 30
RN Salary in Nevada County Jul '14 Curious 1
Steer that was set on fire gets new, safe home Jul '14 Kimber shaw 1
Nevada City Dating
Find my Match

Nevada City Jobs