Couple Fights, Calls Off Engagement, ...

Couple Fights, Calls Off Engagement, Women Sets Self Aflame

There are 18 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Jun 6, 2008, titled Couple Fights, Calls Off Engagement, Women Sets Self Aflame. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

An engaged couple calls off their wedding, and during a heated argument the incident took abizzare twist.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

“Live Love and Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

COLUMBIA

#1 Jun 6, 2008
Setting yourself on fire would not make him change his mind to marry you. Hope she makes a good recovery, but nobody is worth losing your life over
Puff

Hartsville, SC

#2 Jun 6, 2008
I'd rather be alone the rest of my life, than to do something like this to myself.

Now the poor woman,if she lives, will have a life of surgeries and pain.

The irony of it all is that if they had married, they would probably be divorced in about five years.(And she would probably be the one kicking his butt out the door).
bobby bill

Myrtle Beach, SC

#4 Jun 6, 2008
She will be by herself the rest of her life for sure now. Unless she is RICH no man is going to want her.
Puff wrote:
I'd rather be alone the rest of my life, than to do something like this to myself.
Now the poor woman,if she lives, will have a life of surgeries and pain.
The irony of it all is that if they had married, they would probably be divorced in about five years.(And she would probably be the one kicking his butt out the door).

“confused is my middle name”

Since: Mar 07

Columbia

#5 Jun 6, 2008
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooow, man this is wierd. Boy he must have put that thang in her.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#6 Jun 6, 2008
Heated argument? That is really a hot argument! What happened to walk away and live to fight another day?
Puff

Hartsville, SC

#7 Jun 6, 2008
bobby bill wrote:
She will be by herself the rest of her life for sure now. Unless she is RICH no man is going to want her.
<quoted text>
Sad, but probably true.(And she did it to herself. It's not like he set her on fire).

I wonder how old she is? This is going to be so bad for her. A very foolish, out of control reaction to something that, in total, very minor in comparison.

Since: Mar 08

Georgia

#8 Jun 6, 2008
"The man's future wife caught on fire."

This article is missing some rather significant information. Makes it sound like a case of spontaneous combustion. I realize the video gives more detail, but the article should be able to stand alone.

Georgia

#9 Jun 6, 2008
REALIST wrote:
typical dumba$$crackers. maybe they will kill themselves next time and rid this world of 2 idiots.
You don't bring much to the table, do you? Is this a cut & paste deal with one or two word changes when the urge strikes? You left out the usual part about how they should kill themselves slowly. Do you torture small animals in your spare time and dream of doing the same to " dumba$$crackers"?

Georgia

#10 Jun 6, 2008
Puff wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad, but probably true.(And she did it to herself. It's not like he set her on fire).
I wonder how old she is? This is going to be so bad for her. A very foolish, out of control reaction to something that, in total, very minor in comparison.
According to the video, she is 24 years old, her Mom died 2 years ago from cancer and her brother drowned in a nearby pond (didn't say when)...sounds like she's already had a very hard life. What a sad situation!

Since: Jun 07

Orangeburg, SC

#12 Jun 7, 2008
REALIST wrote:
typical dumba$$crackers. maybe they will kill themselves next time and rid this world of 2 idiots.
I only see 1 idiot.
Thats BS

Chapin, SC

#13 Jun 7, 2008
What a psycho biotch. Hate that she's burned herself but what exactly does one gain from setting herself on fire?
I can't believe anyone would agree to marry someone this crazy in the first place! Duh Huh

“Live Love and Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

COLUMBIA

#14 Jun 7, 2008
REALIST wrote:
No the world needs to get rid of racist people like you. what does her race have to do with anything every race has someone to do stupid things over this thing people call love
anaivan

Darlington, SC

#15 Jun 7, 2008
She was a hunk of burning love.
LOL

Myrtle Beach, SC

#16 Jun 7, 2008
_getagrip_ wrote:
"The man's future wife caught on fire."
This article is missing some rather significant information. Makes it sound like a case of spontaneous combustion. I realize the video gives more detail, but the article should be able to stand alone.

Exactly what I was thinking

Georgia

#17 Jun 7, 2008
Here's another article with a video:

http://cbs3.com/topstories/wedding.fiancee.fi...

I googled "woman sets self on fire" and was shocked at the huge number of incidents it pulled up, must happen more often than I thought:

http://www.google.com/search...

Georgia

#18 Jun 7, 2008
Justice wrote:
LMFAOOOOOO, LOOKING AT THE PICTURE OF THE HOUSE THEY LIVED IN... SEEMS TYPICAL FOR A PAIR OF DAC'S AKA HILLBILLIES.
callous : a protective condition of mental or emotional insensitivity

Now Justice, what are you protecting yourself from? And how do you know they were crackers? Maybe it's a mixed neighborhood of people that like to live in the boonies in travel trailers beside dilapidated old houses! Just because the neighbor on the video was a cracker, it doesn't mean that only crackers could possibly live next door. If you have facts to prove otherwise in this case, just disregard my statements please.
EJF Member

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#19 Jun 8, 2008
Too bad she did not know all the gender-baised laws that trap a man. Breach of contract, Domestic violence laws, Sexual laws that accept false allegations - i.e. no proof required, etc. She could have made him wish he had married her.

The days of marriage are over with for any intelligent man. Women are like a nitro glycerine. Once false move and you can blow your self up.
Puff

Hartsville, SC

#20 Jun 8, 2008
EJF Member wrote:
Too bad she did not know all the gender-baised laws that trap a man. Breach of contract, Domestic violence laws, Sexual laws that accept false allegations - i.e. no proof required, etc. She could have made him wish he had married her.
The days of marriage are over with for any intelligent man. Women are like a nitro glycerine. Once false move and you can blow your self up.
Yes, she could have done anything else, but set herself on fire. However, why does it always be two extemes? Can't women be "middle of the road" for you? You act like all women are either nutjobs, or manipulative, evil, spiteful she-devils from hell.

What if you had a daughter? Do you? Is this how you feel about your daughter? Sister? Niece? Female cousin?

If you had,(have),a daughter,
what advice would you give her in conducting herself in the world? Would you instill in her that she is evil, no good, useful only for a man to do what he wanted with her? What if your daughter was abused by some guy? Would you blame her? Say it was her fault? Pat the guy on the back and tell him to kill her the next time? If your daughter fought back, and ended up in court, would you emotionally support her, or would you be sitting on the side of the courtroom of the guy, testifying against your daughter?

This woman did a horrible thing to herself. Why, who really knows. Maybe she is unstable,(certainly sounds like she is, at least, clinically depressed). The man did not want to get married. He probably had good reasons, if she was unstable, and will probably feel guilty about this for a long time. I feel badly for both of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nevada City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Double Down Sun mothballs r okay 7
Looking for Obituary for George Stevens May '16 George H Heise 1
Disillusioned with Child Protective Services in... (Jun '06) May '16 Anonymous 80
News Down to the Wire May '16 Julie Jane 2
News Check Out Petaluma Music Festival's 2016 Lineup Apr '16 Genie 1
News Home Invasion Robbery Near Nevada City (Dec '15) Mar '16 stop murderers 2
News Fatality Accident on Banner Mountain Claims Lif... (Aug '15) Sep '15 Vanessa 2

Nevada City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nevada City Mortgages