what is happening with carbon county ...
Are You For Real

Lehighton, PA

#5059 Jan 5, 2013
Tweet Tweet wrote:
Sofranko got passed over for party chair? Now maybe he'll leave the Reps to be a libertarian, lol.
Who is the new GOP chair anyways?
Hate to ruin your fun but Sofranko did not want the chair. His brother is the Vice Chair. The guy is from Tunkhannock. Jeremey something. Only here a couple of years. Works in the Lehigh Valley. Mike Carty was nominated as well and he declined. That left this guy. Everyone is hoping the guy has some grit to him. Not a problem if he's friends with Heffley as Heffley could use all the friends he can get. The only fear is that Heffley will guide him, so to speak. But Heffley's record as Republican Chair is dismal to say the least. If he follows Heffley's lead the guy and the party is in real trouble.
Are You For Real

Lehighton, PA

#5060 Jan 5, 2013
Lehighton Republican wrote:
The budget is open for inspection and so is the budget that our moronic commissioners reopened immediately after taking office. Where was their alarm about the budget then??? Apparently everything was fine or else they would have been crying all the way through that process too. We would have seen drastic cuts already last year if it was that big of a mess. But the idiots that raised our taxes didn't do any such thing when they reopened the budget. They are unqualified buffoons and they need to quit and spare our wallets more of their pain.
Keep bashing all you want but the really intelligent people and those who keep up with the news realize that no matter what they would have done, they had to face the fact of the severe cuts from the state and feds. I agree that you should run and let us see how good you can do. It's real easy to sit on one side of the table and accuse and name call. Quite different when you sit on the other side and have to deal with the facts and figures.
Liars

Lehighton, PA

#5061 Jan 5, 2013
Why was no one from the Lehighton 9/12 project, local Tea Party or even a local constitutionalist considered to run the party.

It's because behind the scenes these people and their causes are openly mocked by the powers that be in the GOP.

The leadership in the Carbon GOP is sold out to the state party and their interestes which is all about money.

Heffley's campaign slogan was, "one of us". Getz was right these people are liars and this pick of an "out sider" is proof...
ditto that

Lehighton, PA

#5062 Jan 5, 2013
Liars wrote:
Why was no one from the Lehighton 9/12 project, local Tea Party or even a local constitutionalist considered to run the party.
It's because behind the scenes these people and their causes are openly mocked by the powers that be in the GOP.
The leadership in the Carbon GOP is sold out to the state party and their interestes which is all about money.
Heffley's campaign slogan was, "one of us". Getz was right these people are liars and this pick of an "out sider" is proof...
Why do Liberals find it so difficult to understand that although not all Republicans agree there is always a respect of those who challenge the status quo. We prefer to proceed with eyes open rather than close our eyes and follow as told like the old boys Democratic Club of CC. Carbon County certainly voted Republican on at least one major state candidate and maybe even for president. Dont know for sure but I think I'm right.
Are You For Real

Lehighton, PA

#5063 Jan 5, 2013
Well not being a member of the Republican E Board I can't answer that. For sure. However, I remember being at Penn's Peak when they had the kind of debate when Duffy and Dages ran for Commissioner on the Republican ticket and Armbruster ran for Sheriff on the Republican ticket. When he was introduced as a Republican candidate, Mr. Duffy was quick to remind people that he was indeed a Constitutionalist but had to run on the Republican ticket. With that kind of statement and thinking, if I was a member of the Republican E Board, I would be hard pressed to believe that he was serious about promoting the Republican party. Both major parties are underlings of their respective state committees and they in turn are underlings of their national committees. That's just the way it is and unfortunately money rules. It usually is the candidate who has the biggest war chest that can pull off an election. And the voters need to be able to identify with a candidate. It is quite obvious the voters were not able to identify with the Constitutionalists, etc. As to Heffley using the "one of us", alot of Republicans not only didn't understand it, they didn't like it. But upon further research it was discovered that slogan had been used prior to Heffley and people got annoyed that Heffley's slogan, no matter how bad, was not original. Heffley was not running when Getz was seeking re-election. Nobody lied during that race except Getz and O'Gurek.
Are You For Real

Lehighton, PA

#5064 Jan 5, 2013
ditto that wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do Liberals find it so difficult to understand that although not all Republicans agree there is always a respect of those who challenge the status quo. We prefer to proceed with eyes open rather than close our eyes and follow as told like the old boys Democratic Club of CC. Carbon County certainly voted Republican on at least one major state candidate and maybe even for president. Dont know for sure but I think I'm right.
With the exception of Attorney General and Cartwright for Congress who will represent the greater part of the county with Barletta still representing the northern part, Carbon County went entirely Republican. Carbon County is a very conservative county and candidates need to not only be aware of it but recognize it. They don't vote for that which they don't understand.
Liars

Lehighton, PA

#5065 Jan 5, 2013
Carbon County is far from being Republican...all the County row officers are Democrats.

The commissioners are of some political philosophy that has not yet been identified...and Heffley is a neoconservative who is completely sold out to the state party.

Don't go blowing your horn just because you got three people into office with R's behind their name...

Lastly, the party is controlledand locked by the same good ole' boy network that you rail against.

If the Democrats present candidates who are socially conserative and respect the constitution.....the Republican party will be shattered.
Are You For Real

Lehighton, PA

#5066 Jan 5, 2013
Liars wrote:
Carbon County is far from being Republican...all the County row officers are Democrats.
The commissioners are of some political philosophy that has not yet been identified...and Heffley is a neoconservative who is completely sold out to the state party.
Don't go blowing your horn just because you got three people into office with R's behind their name...
Lastly, the party is controlledand locked by the same good ole' boy network that you rail against.
If the Democrats present candidates who are socially conserative and respect the constitution.....the Republican party will be shattered.
Please try and not only read, correctly, but understand. I never said the county was Republican. What I said was when it comes to the larger elections, Carbon County voters are CONSERVATIVE. I don't think it has anything to do with respect as far as the Constitution is concerned. It comes down to a matter of interpretation. I am not blowing any horn. As far as Heffley, I think he is a joke. He is nothing more than a "yes" vote for the Republicans. He was the lone "nay" vote on the budget but yet voted yes for all of the things contained in that budget. Because they knew they had enough votes, Heffley was allowed the "nay" to help with his re-election bid. Next time, I don't think Heffley will be afforded the comforts of money, etc. The election will have more battles and they won't worry about him. They have the governorship and themselves to worry about. It will present the perfect time for the Democrats to come up with even a semi legit candidate to take him out.
Liars

Lehighton, PA

#5067 Jan 5, 2013
Yes I got that....my point was that the local GOP has nothing to brag about....these people are about to be swept from office....
Are You For Real

Lehighton, PA

#5068 Jan 5, 2013
Unfortunately your statement is very premature. There are no Republican offices that are held that could be swept in the near future. They can't be swept from office for 3 years. My interpretation of the word swept is that there would be a loss of several offices. The majority commissioners are the only ones the Republicans have right now. Anyone I know connected to the Republican Party did not brag about anything. Capturing the commissioners was their only win. They may have celebrated the win but I don't think they bragged. Had they captured other offices as well, then they could have bragged.
Blackoperator

Stroudsburg, PA

#5070 Jan 5, 2013
My interpretation to all of this is the measley three seats that the Republicans won will be swept away in the next elections.

Then they will have zero.....
Tweet Tweet

Lehighton, PA

#5071 Jan 6, 2013
Blackoperator wrote:
My interpretation to all of this is the measley three seats that the Republicans won will be swept away in the next elections.
Then they will have zero.....
We can only hope! The number that all 3 of them are doing on people's wallets is disgusting at best.

Lets just hope that the Dems find someone to run that can actually think for themselves.
ditto that

Lehighton, PA

#5072 Jan 6, 2013
Blackoperator wrote:
My interpretation to all of this is the measley three seats that the Republicans won will be swept away in the next elections.
Then they will have zero.....
To be clear the measly 3 seats are majority commish and a dem held for 40 yrs state rep seat. And since they are the highest 3 in carbon you can bet there is momentum for the row office seats next. Like why hasnt our treasurer stepped up tax collection methods and recommended solutions of any sort? Our Conteoller/ financial guru watched this budget playout but suggested no cuts. Doesnt he work on salary board too? He could have added some help too. Does be know nothing about why our taxes had to be raised? What value exactly was provided?
one of those

Lehighton, PA

#5073 Jan 6, 2013
ditto that wrote:
<quoted text>To be clear the measly 3 seats are majority commish and a dem held for 40 yrs state rep seat. And since they are the highest 3 in carbon you can bet there is momentum for the row office seats next. Like why hasnt our treasurer stepped up tax collection methods and recommended solutions of any sort? Our Conteoller/ financial guru watched this budget playout but suggested no cuts. Doesnt he work on salary board too? He could have added some help too. Does be know nothing about why our taxes had to be raised? What value exactly was provided?
You are one of those who types before he thinks. Why would the dem treasurer and dem controller want to help ease the burden on our taxes by helping the GOP commissioners? It's simple.... politics. They also know that their jobs are secure as the GOP can never find viable candidates to run against them so taking a hands off approach to helping the budget process and thus helping the GOP is what they will do. Boehringer? Seriously. GOP has got to do better than that!!!!
Uh Huh

Lehighton, PA

#5074 Jan 6, 2013
ditto that wrote:
<quoted text>
To be clear the measly 3 seats are majority commish and a dem held for 40 yrs state rep seat. And since they are the highest 3 in carbon you can bet there is momentum for the row office seats next. Like why hasnt our treasurer stepped up tax collection methods and recommended solutions of any sort? Our Conteoller/ financial guru watched this budget playout but suggested no cuts. Doesnt he work on salary board too? He could have added some help too. Does be know nothing about why our taxes had to be raised? What value exactly was provided?
Good point. I don't recall hearing or reading anything from the treasurer's office or the controller's regarding warnings when Getz and O'Gurek were playing with smoke and mirrors. Questions need to be asked and some finger pointing might be in order. Things in Carbon County didn't get this messed up overnight - uh, since November.

I think you hit a couple of points for any challenger to those offices. Like anyone else, maybe they've been there too long and are complacent ... pick up the check and smile for the camera! LOL

Maybe it's time for a general and thorough Court House cleaning.
ditto that

Philadelphia, PA

#5075 Jan 6, 2013
As voters we should be looking for all elected officials to solve problems. Of course they wont help during an election year or not. Because they got elected for hangin at bars at buying the masses shots or because they are part of the annointed Mcall appointees. This county needs ideas from all parties.
Uh Huh

Lehighton, PA

#5076 Jan 6, 2013
one of those wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one of those who types before he thinks. Why would the dem treasurer and dem controller want to help ease the burden on our taxes by helping the GOP commissioners? It's simple.... politics. They also know that their jobs are secure as the GOP can never find viable candidates to run against them so taking a hands off approach to helping the budget process and thus helping the GOP is what they will do. Boehringer? Seriously. GOP has got to do better than that!!!!
Perhaps the McCall "luster" has worn off the boys. Candidates simply need to ask the right question - like, where were you when the danger signals were looming? Didja even notice? Didja choke out a peep of warning? Politics seem to have taken a turn in good ol' Carbon County. People are fed up with the same old same old.
one of those

Lehighton, PA

#5077 Jan 6, 2013
ditto that wrote:
As voters we should be looking for all elected officials to solve problems. Of course they wont help during an election year or not. Because they got elected for hangin at bars at buying the masses shots or because they are part of the annointed Mcall appointees. This county needs ideas from all parties.
Reality check!!!! By no means am I defending them, but did you ever think that maybe it isnt the fact that the candidates bought the drinks, but the drinkers that accepted them and then voted for them?!?! They surely don't owe the candidates anything at the voting machine and no one would notice if they didn't. Besides IF the elector was smarter than "I'll vote for my beer buying buddy" then maybe, just maybe, true candidates (if there are any) might get elected. Blame the voters for not making wise choices.
ditto that

Lehighton, PA

#5078 Jan 6, 2013
one of those wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality check!!!! By no means am I defending them, but did you ever think that maybe it isnt the fact that the candidates bought the drinks, but the drinkers that accepted them and then voted for them?!?! They surely don't owe the candidates anything at the voting machine and no one would notice if they didn't. Besides IF the elector was smarter than "I'll vote for my beer buying buddy" then maybe, just maybe, true candidates (if there are any) might get elected. Blame the voters for not making wise choices.
Certain candidates take advantage of whatever popular moves they can make and you bet I think the public was wrong for blindly following the leader for 40 years. You can see carbon dems, even the old timers starting to open their eyes a bit. I think the public is asking more questions then ever and they want to know how tou helped fix the county budget crisis before they acceot the beer! Lol.
Bipolar

Lehighton, PA

#5079 Jan 6, 2013
Are You For Real wrote:
<quoted text>Please try and not only read, correctly, but understand. I never said the county was Republican. What I said was when it comes to the larger elections, Carbon County voters are CONSERVATIVE. I don't think it has anything to do with respect as far as the Constitution is concerned. It comes down to a matter of interpretation. I am not blowing any horn. As far as Heffley, I think he is a joke. He is nothing more than a "yes" vote for the Republicans. He was the lone "nay" vote on the budget but yet voted yes for all of the things contained in that budget. Because they knew they had enough votes, Heffley was allowed the "nay" to help with his re-election bid. Next time, I don't think Heffley will be afforded the comforts of money, etc. The election will have more battles and they won't worry about him. They have the governorship and themselves to worry about. It will present the perfect time for the Democrats to come up with even a semi legit candidate to take him out.
The issue is that our rights are not up for private interpretation. They exist as stated in the bill of rights and declaration of independence and they can never be taken away.

There was a lot of momentum in all of this, but fact is the measly three candidates that were elected all believe like you....they have never even read the constitution as they have stated before publically.

There is a large voting block who votes "Republican" and these candidates are set to lose a sizeable number of them. The moment is over and the pendulum is swinging away from the Republican party.

In fact the momentum that drove these three candidates into office was this very movement and the Republicans failed to understand that and threw cold water on it.

Packerton Yards was an issue that was made an issue by these people....

There is no unconditionalloyalty to the Republican party...it can be turned against and exposed and defeated. No wonder Carbon County amlost always votes Democrat.

Its because the Republicans are to proud, to dumb and when you get down to it they have no base. They are a very divided party....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesquehoning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Panther Valley News (Jul '14) 2 hr mickey angst 84
News Nesquehoning residents ask for - ... Sat nesq resident 8
News two missing men in Tamaqua area Sat High as a kite 2
Women Don't get jail time for not paying child ... (Feb '09) Aug 27 nesq resident 50
Marian football players arrested Aug 24 subscription pending 13
joe murphy (Aug '14) Aug 24 Crow 47
cockroaches at panther valley middle school Aug 18 Raider fan 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nesquehoning Mortgages