what is happening with carbon county ...
WHO KNEW

Lehighton, PA

#4658 Sep 29, 2012
I DON'T MIND GETTING BAD JUDGING BUT I WOULD REALLY LIKE THE JUDGERS TO TELL ME WHY. I MEAN THERE ARE MANY OF US WHO HAVE PAYING HIGHER TAXES LONG BEFORE HEFFLEY HIT THE SCENE. SO JUDGERS EXPLAIN NOT ONLY WHY YOU JUDGED ME THE WAY YOU DID BUT ALSO WHO WAS AT FAULT FOR MY RISING TAXES BEFORE HEFFLEY. GOTTA BE ABLE TO BACK UP THE SHEET YOU ARE THROWING.
Reality

Kingston, PA

#4659 Sep 30, 2012
WHO KNEW wrote:
I DON'T MIND GETTING BAD JUDGING BUT I WOULD REALLY LIKE THE JUDGERS TO TELL ME WHY. I MEAN THERE ARE MANY OF US WHO HAVE PAYING HIGHER TAXES LONG BEFORE HEFFLEY HIT THE SCENE. SO JUDGERS EXPLAIN NOT ONLY WHY YOU JUDGED ME THE WAY YOU DID BUT ALSO WHO WAS AT FAULT FOR MY RISING TAXES BEFORE HEFFLEY. GOTTA BE ABLE TO BACK UP THE SHEET YOU ARE THROWING.
You need to learn not to post in all caps so people don't think you're a total idiot. I see why your fatuous jabber is getting bad reviews. Lack of industry is the first thing that comes to mind in the increase of property taxes in this area. The old we don't want the business in our back yard comes to mind as the local leaders ran them all out of town.
Observer

Jim Thorpe, PA

#4660 Sep 30, 2012
School taxes go up because costs go up - for heating and bus transportation as well as personnel - and because the politicians in Harrisburg don't adequately address school funding at the state level.

Here's a story about how gambling was supposed to reduce real estate taxes:

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...

As long as the Democratic and Republican leadership treat House and Senate sessions as if they are football games with winners & losers nothing can change. Change the rules to diminish their control so those we elect can work together on real problems facing their districts rather than passing legislation pushed by outside groups.

Maybe Pennsylvania needs a constitutional convention???

Anita Beer

East Stroudsburg, PA

#4661 Sep 30, 2012
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to learn not to post in all caps so people don't think you're a total idiot. I see why your fatuous jabber is getting bad reviews. Lack of industry is the first thing that comes to mind in the increase of property taxes in this area. The old we don't want the business in our back yard comes to mind as the local leaders ran them all out of town.
So who to blame for high taxes in the past 10 years....

1. George W. Bush- GW passed "No Child Left Behind" which some would argue was a good idea and GW promised more federal funding which came in 2002 when the law was pass. But since the financial crisis, there wasn't any more money for NCLB but the costs were still there.

2. Every state and federal court which ruled against a school district- Google the term "legislating from the Bench" or "unfunded mandate". These court rulings force district to pay for what was presided but there is never a dollar amount tied with it.

3. Every person who has moved into Carbon County in the past 10 years - these people, mostly who left NYC, moved into Carbon County to escape the city and have a better life. They also increased the size of most districts. The districts were forced to build new buildings and I will tell you infrastructure is expensive. Exception is Panther Valley. No new buildings but many people moved in there and rented a chopped up row home causing multiple families per home.

4. The Prevailing wage- districts have to pay contractors the union wage which results in a higher cost to build a school.

5. Tom Corbett, Doyle Heffley and every other elected official on both sides of the aisle - the stop giving state funds to school districts so you are left with the bill.

6. Natural Gas industry- the state is letting $600 million go out of the state when, if we taxed it at the next lowest state WV, we would have $600 million to take away from property taxes.

7. Corporate America / Infinite growth paradigm / inflation - guys every increases over time. A lot of things have double in 10 years.

8. Teachers- they get salary increase of 3.5% a year

9. Industry- or I should say "lack there of".

10. The rise of Special Education- it costs $11,000 regular ed, and $22,000 Special Ed. This also can be tied to the court system.

11. Cost of fuel - Some buildings are heated by oil which could consume a 100 gallons a day.

I wish I had more time to think but this is what I though off the top of my head. As you can see, it is both parties and more than just teacher salaries.
Gave up myid

Lehighton, PA

#4662 Sep 30, 2012
Well, this is all very illuminating, but also boring, boring, boring. Folks, we all know that the PA educational system is a deep morass. In fact, it is doodoo x 2. Hell if I know what the solution is, let's get rid of property taxes. Ok, what we gonna replace it with? O yea, higher income taxes, that will be real popular. How about increasing the sales tax, that will be a sure hit. Well, ok then, let's tax the super voters, all those old folks collecting social security and passive income. Quick, call your State Rep with that idea!!!! From my point of view, the revenue side doesn't work. I'd like to start by cutting out all these ridiculous building and athletic projects. We don't need expensive sports complexes, when I went to school, we had one field that served all the teams, and, in the middle of winter, they flooded it so we could ice skate on it. Theaters with television and radio capabilities, give me a break! Educate the kids, say no to all the extras. Bring costs under control, then we can figure out how to refund it.
nuid

Lehighton, PA

#4663 Sep 30, 2012
Gave up myid wrote:
Well, this is all very illuminating, but also boring, boring, boring. Folks, we all know that the PA educational system is a deep morass. In fact, it is doodoo x 2. Hell if I know what the solution is, let's get rid of property taxes. Ok, what we gonna replace it with? O yea, higher income taxes, that will be real popular. How about increasing the sales tax, that will be a sure hit. Well, ok then, let's tax the super voters, all those old folks collecting social security and passive income. Quick, call your State Rep with that idea!!!! From my point of view, the revenue side doesn't work. I'd like to start by cutting out all these ridiculous building and athletic projects. We don't need expensive sports complexes, when I went to school, we had one field that served all the teams, and, in the middle of winter, they flooded it so we could ice skate on it. Theaters with television and radio capabilities, give me a break! Educate the kids, say no to all the extras. Bring costs under control, then we can figure out how to refund it.
Oh Dear Lord,GUMID,I agree with you!Doesn't happen often,but it does.Look,I played sports in school and yes they had sports back then.My kids played sports.But it has gotten out of control.Exactly how many of our graduates go on to play sports in college and then move on to the pros?Way too much emphasis is placed on sports and the playing venue for each sport.The taj mahals that are being built are ridiculous.Every superintendent's crown jewel is to build.None of us are going to fix the problem or come up with a reasonable solution.Let's move on.But to what?I'm still waiting to hear some good and big news about the upcoming election.
JimmyHoffa

Jim Thorpe, PA

#4664 Sep 30, 2012
Anita Dick wrote:
<quoted text>So who to blame for high taxes in the past 10 years....

1. George W. Bush- GW passed "No Child Left Behind" which some would argue was a good idea and GW promised more federal funding which came in 2002 when the law was pass. But since the financial crisis, there wasn't any more money for NCLB but the costs were still there.

2. Every state and federal court which ruled against a school district- Google the term "legislating from the Bench" or "unfunded mandate". These court rulings force district to pay for what was presided but there is never a dollar amount tied with it.

3. Every person who has moved into Carbon County in the past 10 years - these people, mostly who left NYC, moved into Carbon County to escape the city and have a better life. They also increased the size of most districts. The districts were forced to build new buildings and I will tell you infrastructure is expensive. Exception is Panther Valley. No new buildings but many people moved in there and rented a chopped up row home causing multiple families per home.

4. The Prevailing wage- districts have to pay contractors the union wage which results in a higher cost to build a school.

5. Tom Corbett, Doyle Heffley and every other elected official on both sides of the aisle - the stop giving state funds to school districts so you are left with the bill.

6. Natural Gas industry- the state is letting $600 million go out of the state when, if we taxed it at the next lowest state WV, we would have $600 million to take away from property taxes.

7. Corporate America / Infinite growth paradigm / inflation - guys every increases over time. A lot of things have double in 10 years.

8. Teachers- they get salary increase of 3.5% a year

9. Industry- or I should say "lack there of".

10. The rise of Special Education- it costs $11,000 regular ed, and $22,000 Special Ed. This also can be tied to the court system.

11. Cost of fuel - Some buildings are heated by oil which could consume a 100 gallons a day.

I wish I had more time to think but this is what I though off the top of my head. As you can see, it is both parties and more than just teacher salaries.
All government funded projects are prevailing wage, whether it is be federal or state money. Do you oppose paying a fair wage? Working in the construction trades union or non union is one the last blue collar jobs that can support a family. Should they get cheap foreign labor to build schools? Maybe outsource your cushy no show county job too?
Anita Beer

East Stroudsburg, PA

#4665 Sep 30, 2012
I have no opinion on it either way. All I am saying is that it increases the cost of building schools which in turn increases your taxes. It was one of almost a dozen factors which contribute to high taxes.

But I did not know all federal and state jobs are prevailing wage! Maybe I should change my screen name to Ioweua Beer!
nuid

Lehighton, PA

#4666 Sep 30, 2012
First off,I am disappointed that Jimmy Hoffa chose to change Anita Beer's first name.One of the main things that was agreed upon,when this blog first started was that we agreed to disagree.And try and do so without name calling and vulgarity.I don't think anyone wants to see any jobs go to foreign labor.Within the past several years Panther Valley did indeed build a new school.Middle school.I still maintain that school districts could and should trim the fat.We don't need all of the bells and whistles.We need the basics of educating the students.it's got to stop somewhere.The government can't keep funding it.Neither can we taxpayers.
Slippery Meckes

Lehighton, PA

#4667 Oct 3, 2012
Glenny,and I started a new "Business". We cut trees down,and build new "ECO" Trees Houses..We are now under contract to build a "DEMO" up at Mauch Chunk Lake! Stay tuned for the info..
debate

Palmerton, PA

#4668 Oct 3, 2012
MITT kicked sine but.
debate

Palmerton, PA

#4669 Oct 3, 2012
Oops spell check... kicked some butt!
pha Q

Wellsboro, PA

#4670 Oct 4, 2012
carbon county's anonymous politicking thread
nuid

Lehighton, PA

#4671 Oct 4, 2012
Oh GUMID,where art thou?I'm waiting to hear your excuses,rationale,etc.C'mon,en tertain me!
Anita Beer

East Stroudsburg, PA

#4672 Oct 4, 2012
Update on old news.... I just saw good old Gerry Strubinger in JT today. HE HAS A HEFFLEY BUMPER STICKER ON HIS CAR! Talk about sour grapes, both he and RR vowed to support one another if the other guy won. Do you think the Democratic party will throw him out? That hurts his credibility. Doesn't Gerry realize he is a school board director at JT and has to run for re-election. Who besides his relatives will support him? I guess he didn't think this one through.

Rumors always kept on surfacing that he was a closet Libertarian anyway.
Gave up myid

Lehighton, PA

#4673 Oct 4, 2012
Anita, you are the only person in here surprised by Gerry Strubinger. He's a nutcase, enough said. Nuid, let me entertain you, give me a topic!
nuid

Lehighton, PA

#4674 Oct 4, 2012
Why GUMID ----- THE DEBATE!Between the prez candidates.Funny how Anita is surprised by Strub.Like anyone can or should believe Strub!His word is anything but good.
Gave up myid

Lehighton, PA

#4675 Oct 5, 2012
Obama was flat. He went into that debate on solid ground, it was his to lose, and he lost it!He just seemed totally off, kept looking down, as if he was seeking answers on cue cards. I was surprised, because I think generally that Obama is a poised and strong speaker, so I hope he just had an off night and recovers next time. His fumbling made Romney look better than he was. Romney totally turned me off with his health care babble. I will be interested in seeing what happens in the Veep debate. Biden is very good on his feet, I predict he'll mop up the other guy. But we'll see, anything can happen. What about local politics, I heard from Heffley worker that the State Gop is committed to pouring in up to 100 grand into his campaign. Rabenold doesn't have the bucks to fight that and is expected to push grass roots. What about the local debate next week, I'm thinking of going. Somebody needs to show up to keep the tea partiers from getting out of control.
nuid

Lehighton, PA

#4677 Oct 5, 2012
Well,I must admit GUMID,you gave me more concessions than I thought.I'm sure O'Bama did have cue cards.He really doesn't know how to speak without his teleprompter.You were joking,right,about Biden being "good on his feet",weren't you?Have you heard what's been coming out of his mouth?They should have a counter,that night,to count how many times he puts his foot in his mouth!

I am not going to doubt the figure on the Heffley spending spree.I heard today the figure is already seventy thousand and the heat hasn't been applied.I just don't know if RR'S so called grass roots campaigning can do it.Since you are going to attend the so called debate,we will rely upon you to give a full report.Will RC be at the entrance with his sign again?Wouldn't be a debate at the Peak if he wasn't there.RR should be able to out speak Heffley.Hopefully,both will be well prepared and give the audience and viewers a good look at their views on things.Something needs to perk up this campaign.People are so very DISinterested.
Observer

Jim Thorpe, PA

#4678 Oct 6, 2012
If Carbon County voters saw the report in yesterday's Times News Friday on the county's social services funding they should realize that a county tax increase is likely because of Harrisburg's budget cuts.

If the state GOP is pouring money into Heffley's campaign it is because he is beneficial to them.
Carbon County voters need to question how well he has served them so far, and I don't mean how many big checks he delivered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesquehoning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Round Head Mountain Sasquatch (Dec '12) 14 min Remington 980 43
News Vandals shoot windows in Tamaqua with BBs 34 min snitch 3
polo or josh (May '14) 35 min snitch 26
News Tamaqua resident on third trip to... 1 hr ImTiredOf_It 4
Panther Valley News (Jul '14) Thu LOL even more 2,093
Tamaqua Topix Forum Harassmentf (Aug '12) Aug 16 ImTiredOf_It 19
Andy leibenguth is a dumbass Aug 16 james 20

Nesquehoning Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance