Smithtown library bond passes second ...

Smithtown library bond passes second time around

There are 63 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 5, 2008, titled Smithtown library bond passes second time around. In it, Newsday reports that:

This time, the library construction bond referendum passed in Smithtown. Just five months after voters defeated a referendum that would have upgraded three existing libraries and added another in the Smithtown ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
PO on LI

West New York, NJ

#1 Mar 5, 2008
Just what i need another raise in taxes, keep up the good work smithtown
Pete

Rockville, MD

#2 Mar 5, 2008
More money for something I don't use ... wonderful ...

And moving to the Armory isn't a particularly good idea. There's very limited parking there now, and really not much space to add parking. I coach football there in the fall, and when there's games going on on the weekend, most people have to park across the street (where the library is/used to be).
kjp

Springfield Gardens, NY

#3 Mar 5, 2008
suckas as home prices drop 25 percent this year in smithtown taxes increase
Carol from Commack

Englewood, CO

#4 Mar 5, 2008
I think the right decision was made. Our libraries are a critical link to the community in so many important ways.
MR OY

Port Richey, FL

#5 Mar 5, 2008
Sounds like another little fiefdom in the making. We should check their finances extensively. You never know where the money is really going. What the head librarian gets a new car and a gas card? Sounds like a mystery to me.

Since: Nov 07

Brooklyn

#6 Mar 5, 2008
save the armory.
ebenezer scrooge

Passaic, NJ

#7 Mar 5, 2008
Sounds like a bunch of ignorant and eneducated people to me on this forum.A library is an essential part of any community. Why would you not want to upkeep it? Shame on you if you dont use it or have your kids use it. I agree the money needs to be monitored but be reasonable.
CAH

Huntington, NY

#8 Mar 5, 2008
Great. More taxes. Next year they will be over budget and asking for more money. In this time of economic uncertainty the last thing we need is a major construction and expansion project. Instead of a consolidation there is an expansion.
Guess everyone has deep pockets in Smithtown. I am sure the school taxes will go up another 6 to 8 percent at a mimimum as well.
I am trying to hang on here but things like this make it next to impossible.
Already Overtaxed

Huntington, NY

#9 Mar 5, 2008
Great. More taxes. Next year they will be over budget and asking for more money. In this time of economic uncertainty the last thing we need is a major construction and expansion project. Instead of a consolidation there is an expansion.
Guess everyone has deep pockets in Smithtown. I am sure the school taxes will go up another 6 to 8 percent at a mimimum as well.
I am trying to hang on here but things like this make it next to impossible.
kjp

Springfield Gardens, NY

#10 Mar 5, 2008
ebenezer scrooge no one disagrees about the library . T he school of thought is most of these dollars will never see the library as home prices drop and drop this year in Smith Town .
kjp

Springfield Gardens, NY

#11 Mar 5, 2008
smithtown homes will rapidly drop below 400k after labor day
already taxed out

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#12 Mar 5, 2008
So let's look at this:

1. this FIRST bond vote REJECTED it,,,then

2. a new vote with a 20% DECREASE is APPROVED

3. the PROJECT will go OVERBUDGET by 50%,, you can be pretty sure of this.

4. The BOND hhas to be PAID by 'someone'........

5....taxes will see an increase of ATLEAST 10% EACH YEAR for the next 5 years.

6. I guess they think we dont pay enough yet
si Senor

AOL

#13 Mar 5, 2008
ebenezer scrooge wrote:
Sounds like a bunch of ignorant and eneducated people to me on this forum.A library is an essential part of any community. Why would you not want to upkeep it? Shame on you if you dont use it or have your kids use it. I agree the money needs to be monitored but be reasonable.
Don't forget big spender these new buildings will need to be staffed and maintained. Do you ever notice how many people work in a library? Also why do they need to give people free high speed access to the internet? You want to surf the web go buy a PC and call cablevision and pay for your own high speed access! I dont why taxpayers need to pay all this money so old people have a place to loiter about all day!
si Senor

AOL

#14 Mar 5, 2008
What's with this vote evry 5 months? They just keep having votes unitl it passes. I like how they have it in the middle of winter when a good part of the voting population
is in Florida and whou would otherwise vote no!
just plain tired

Danbury, CT

#15 Mar 5, 2008
higher taxes..just what we need..there are no words to describe how "out of control" Town of Smithown is! Let me ask you this, when was the last time you actually needed to use a library?
Stown h8tr

West New York, NJ

#16 Mar 5, 2008
With gas prices going to be over $4 a gallon and milk, bread and every other human need rapidly increasing in price we in SmithTown need to scabble more money from the kitchen table to pay this town more money so they can turn their backs on the residents!!!!!
Smiles

Plainview, NY

#17 Mar 5, 2008
Stupid waste of taxpayer money. The library is like a ghost town as it is.....so let's expand it??? Give me a break! Nobody is ever there when we visit the library. It's just fine the way it is. Most people go to the bookstore instead.

Shame on you Smithtown Library Board.
susysmay

Ronkonkoma, NY

#18 Mar 5, 2008
i agree, i went and voted NO for the kakamee idea of expansion. unfortunatley smithtown is filled with business oriented residents who are very ignorant about anything else other than driving their big funky cars. they will go and vote blindly for anything.
there are so many buildings and the present one is more thanenough but who listens to someone who talks sense.
some audit company should look into the finances and stop expansion before the residents are hit on the taxes and before it is too late.
shame on these people sometime si wonder if the library board members ever read this forum messages
sussysamy
An observer

Levittown, NY

#19 Mar 5, 2008
I've lived in Smithtown for most of my adult life. I never realized how many ignorant people also live here. Even if you can't read, give your children the opportunity to have access to the services that a good library can provide. I don't have big bucks, but it's worth it.
Jay

United States

#20 Mar 5, 2008
Stown h8tr wrote:
With gas prices going to be over $4 a gallon and milk, bread and every other human need rapidly increasing in price we in SmithTown need to scabble more money from the kitchen table to pay this town more money so they can turn their backs on the residents!!!!!
You say "we in SmithTown" .... It is Smithtown - ONE WORD, no capital T - maybe you would benefit by going to the library. It is where people LEARN.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 23 hr Bruser 2,759
News SCPD Video: Suspect Made Off With $2300 in iPho... 23 hr Kingriker 1
S Prestano Bakery Mon Luigi 9
Review: Fairharbor Owners (Feb '15) Sep 14 Former Resident 33
Ronkonkomo Sep 14 SmokinJoe 1
Farmingville, NY (Jul '10) Sep 14 SmokinJoe 37
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Sep 13 Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,483

Nesconset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance