Smithtown developer faces new bribery...

Smithtown developer faces new bribery charges -- Career and Wor...

There are 24 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 9, 2008, titled Smithtown developer faces new bribery charges -- Career and Wor.... In it, Newsday reports that:

A Smithtown developer, already charged in connection with a two-year probe into corruption in the town's building department, faced new charges yesterday that he had conspired with another developer to bribe ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
justified

Patchogue, NY

#1 Apr 9, 2008
who's next? how many more
Humpty Dumpty

AOL

#2 Apr 9, 2008
Who's next? Vecchio, McCarthy, Wehrheim, Ambro, Kern, Tsunis, Lynch (again), King, Vecchio Jr., Harris, Barbato, various other companies including carting, developing, building, concrete, etc.

What Vecchio did right while doing all this wrong was run a decent town, so he could fly under the radar all these years. Residents were generally happy, any complaints were pushed under the rug.

DA's brilliant - they arrest the 70-something year old multi-millionaire who is not going to want to spend the rest of his life in jail and he will sing like a bird.

Should be very interesting watching this unfold.
justified

Patchogue, NY

#3 Apr 9, 2008
humpty dumpty hope you are right the gods have spoken for too long
Susan Dellop

Garnerville, NY

#4 Apr 9, 2008
Sorry - I was looking for the story on
organic hair care. See ya.
Gramps

AOL

#5 Apr 9, 2008
Wow, a developer involved in bribery. Anybody surprised?
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#6 Apr 9, 2008
Anyone who pays attention knows that housing and development in the town of Smithtown is one of the most corrupt on LI. Until those in that town get rid of Vecchio and his cronies/supporters, they will always have these types of issues.
Pammie

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Apr 9, 2008
The Irish and Italians.........just like the old days.

Put 'em all in the slammer !
Mike Honcho

Brentwood, NY

#8 Apr 9, 2008
When I applied to do LEGAL home improvements on my home in 2003 I found the Smithtown Building Department to be unhelpful and combative. They were not willing to address questions I hade concerning my proposed project. After being denied at the building permit application level, I was told that the only way I would get approval by the Zoning Board of Appeals was if I "hired" a certain person that was in "the loop" with the Town.

Hopefully, that punk Bonerba gets what he deserves for violating the Public Trust.
Pammie

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Apr 9, 2008
Susan Dellop wrote:
Sorry - I was looking for the story on
organic hair care. See ya.
You were close - Smithtown haircare developer faces new charges-used lead in his coloring-must be a chinese conspiracy!
Pammie

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Apr 9, 2008
Mike Honcho wrote:
When I applied to do LEGAL home improvements on my home in 2003 I found the Smithtown Building Department to be unhelpful and combative. They were not willing to address questions I hade concerning my proposed project. After being denied at the building permit application level, I was told that the only way I would get approval by the Zoning Board of Appeals was if I "hired" a certain person that was in "the loop" with the Town.
Hopefully, that punk Bonerba gets what he deserves for violating the Public Trust.
Honcho..I will assume this is a truthful statement (have my doubts this was actually said..and these words used):

WHY DIDN'T YOU CONTACT YOUR ATTORNEY, LOCAL CONGRESSMAN, LOCAL COUNCIL ??
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#11 Apr 9, 2008
Get this one....a landlord was reported for not having his rental, which is in the same building as a restaurant, up to fire code. The town dismissed it because it was grandfathered in so he's excused! Meanwhile, whoever lives there is risking their lives. He owns several apts. Wonder if there's a payout or maybe some campaign support??
LI Resident

Melville, NY

#12 Apr 9, 2008
I've heard stories similar to Honcho's. I can't wait to see what the zoning board does to me when I go before them for my renovations. Argh!
gAMEoVER

Englewood, CO

#13 Apr 9, 2008
ESPOSITO HAS BEEN A CROOK FOR DECADES NOW. WANNA-BE TOUGH GUY NOWS A RAT. LAY DOWN AND SLICE YOUR WRISTS YOU PIECE OF GARBAGE.
balls

Bronx, NY

#14 Apr 9, 2008
game over so right tom your corn hole is waiting for bubba
balls

Bronx, NY

#15 Apr 9, 2008
tom watch your corn hole
MrRight

Tampa, FL

#16 Apr 9, 2008
Another of Long Island's greatest moments!
Rich

Port Orange, FL

#17 Apr 9, 2008
Amazing how the DA makes a big dealer out of arresting a small time home builder. The guy builds 2 or 3 homes a year and he becomes the "DEVELOPER". Don't you like how Esposito tries to dump it on the little guy. Suck it up Frank and take the bullet. Why dump it on the little guy!!!
Be Real

Bronx, NY

#18 Apr 9, 2008
Mike Honcho wrote:
If you apply for a building permit, you are paying for them to help you. They are suppose to be professionals ready to help the public. They are the ones that know the building code, and they are the ones who should be answering all your questions.
Mike Honcho

Brentwood, NY

#19 Apr 9, 2008
Hi Pammie

The exact quote was "Hire ********** and you will get what want. The Board knows him".

This is after I was told "the Zoning Board will never approve my application"

Why didn't I hire an attorney?- what good would he do other than bill me.

Congress- Not a Federal issue

Town Council- I contacted Town Supervisor Vecchio who referred me to Councilwoman Jane Conway concerning my original complaints with the building department. She pontificated about how she is the liason with the building department and she would look into it. She never called me back. And did not return several calls I left for her. But, it did result in the denial of my application with the building Department. If you read the comments in this blog you will see I'm not the only one
Pammie wrote:
<quoted text>
Honcho..I will assume this is a truthful statement (have my doubts this was actually said..and these words used):
WHY DIDN'T YOU CONTACT YOUR ATTORNEY, LOCAL CONGRESSMAN, LOCAL COUNCIL ??
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#20 Apr 10, 2008
They never call back. I gave up. Otherwise I'd be waiting a year and a half for my return call. If you want to persue with the councilwoman, I would call back, state how you haven't been contacted in x amt. of time,sate the date, and give a time limit. If the call is not returned...give it to the media to investigate. They usually love this stuff

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for female american bulldog to breed with! (Jan '12) 8 hr John Boy 61
SUNY-EMPIRE College Road 20 hr SmokinJoe 1
Review: Sinderella's Sinderella's (May '15) 21 hr Rob 6
News Nesconset dad writes to give his injured teen a... (Dec '08) Tue Thomas Archer 9
News Town of Islip OKs bonds for animal shelter, air... Mon charge the taxpayer 3
Islandia Music Thread Oct 15 Musikologist 2
Don Woolley (Dec '10) Oct 14 SmokinJoe 12

Nesconset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nesconset Mortgages