SMITHTOWN: Closed Bavarian Inn to be ...

SMITHTOWN: Closed Bavarian Inn to be boarded up

There are 12 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 10, 2008, titled SMITHTOWN: Closed Bavarian Inn to be boarded up. In it, Newsday reports that:

A town inspection after a recent small fire at the closed Bavarian Inn on Smithtown Boulevard found broken glass and other signs of entry, and the town is now taking measures to keep trespassers out, Smithtown ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

tired of it

Andover, NJ

#1 Jul 10, 2008
The county owns it. GOOD! bulldoze it, plant trees that will help the flooding of that area. Don't try to combine it with a Park that is on the other side of the lake.
dom

Lumberton, MS

#2 Jul 10, 2008
Been away and did not know it had closed. It should have been a good location for a restaurant, but I DO remember waves breaking across the parking lot a week after the bulkhead was finished, and the lake extending across SMithtown Blvd to the north side of the road.

So long WIlly and the guys.
mary

Shelton, CT

#3 Jul 10, 2008
If $86M is owed in taxes and the property owner cannot be found, why not just foreclose for the taxes and proceed with replanting the area? It can't be used for anything else anyhow since the lake has extended onto the property.
blah blah blah

United States

#5 Jul 10, 2008
read again, folks...the County does not own it. The owner does now owe $86 mill in taxes. The DEC wouldn't let people put dirt on their lawn less than 200 yards away to keep the water out on Charles St, but you think they'll let whomever plant trees and do landscaping there, right on the water? Right...The current County park is adjacent to the site, not across the Lake. l say simply let the County play their eminent domain games and take it over, raze it, and just let it be. No parking lot, no park, no nothing. What good is it going to do to add it to the current park? At a cost of several million? For once, Levy is right not to spend money on a defunt site with little to no potential in the future.
Tom T

Hastings, MN

#6 Jul 11, 2008
mary wrote:
If $86M is owed in taxes and the property owner cannot be found, why not just foreclose for the taxes and proceed with replanting the area? It can't be used for anything else anyhow since the lake has extended onto the property.
It says 86K in taxes not 86M.
Tom T

Hastings, MN

#7 Jul 11, 2008
blah blah blah wrote:
read again, folks...the County does not own it. The owner does now owe $86 mill in taxes. The DEC wouldn't let people put dirt on their lawn less than 200 yards away to keep the water out on Charles St, but you think they'll let whomever plant trees and do landscaping there, right on the water? Right...The current County park is adjacent to the site, not across the Lake. l say simply let the County play their eminent domain games and take it over, raze it, and just let it be. No parking lot, no park, no nothing. What good is it going to do to add it to the current park? At a cost of several million? For once, Levy is right not to spend money on a defunt site with little to no potential in the future.
The article says 86K owed in back taxes not 86M.
happy

AOL

#8 Jul 11, 2008
a long long time ago it was a nice place.. anyone remember the volkswagon beetle that was the salad bar.
Just the Truth

West Palm Beach, FL

#9 Jul 11, 2008
Wow, I used to live in Smithtown, on Terry Rd. just off Smithtown Blvd. a ways.

It's sad that an icon of my growing up (Bavarian Inn) has closed, even though I never once went there. I remember passing it many times and always being curious, and always thinking it was a quaint-looking place.

How on earth can the place owe $86 million dollars in taxes? How long would it take a place like that to take in $86 million gross in the first place?

“ALPHABITCH up in tha' HAUS!”

Since: Jul 08

LONG ISLAND! U.S.A.

#10 Jul 11, 2008
Fatty Beltbuckles wrote:
The place is a dump and always was. Never a good time. But a good parking lot to get head in. You even have a run down strip of crack houses and that atrocious PARSNIPS right there too!
Hey Fatty~ Parsnips may not be a "Yacht Club", but I know plenty of great people that have had plenty of great times in that place! Just because the area in general & the Bavarian in was a dump, don't knock a small establishment that has offered many years of smiles & laughter to many. Then again, put me in a cardboard box & I'll still have a great time! I'm no pretentious L.I. snob!
Cunieformist

Long Beach, NY

#11 Jul 12, 2008
and fix the flooding problem
Jaeger Schnitzel

Englishtown, NJ

#12 Jul 12, 2008
For good German food go to ZUM's in Glendale, Queens.
MrKase

Oakville, CT

#13 Jul 13, 2008
Just the Truth wrote:
How on earth can the place owe $86 million dollars in taxes? How long would it take a place like that to take in $86 million gross in the first place?
It's not 86 million dollars, it's $86,000....

Come on folks, work on that reading comprehension!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 41 undocumented immigrants arrested in NY amid ... 5 hr spytheweb 25
Farmingville, NY (Jul '10) 5 hr Chuck 33
News Islip Town board member eyes Assembly run 7 hr scam artist 6
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 11 hr shkreli zionism 121,925
all drownings (Jun '07) 16 hr Joe Divine 31
News Islip awards contract to refill parts of Robert... Tue one last shot 34
toxic debris in islip? 111 and sage street. Tue golden parachute ... 4

Nesconset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance