Two teens killed in Smithtown crash

Two teens killed in Smithtown crash

There are 152 comments on the Newsday.com story from Nov 1, 2007, titled Two teens killed in Smithtown crash. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

“We'll do our best to take care of the kids and get them through this.”

Two Smithtown High School West seniors on their lunch break were thrown from a car and killed and two other teens injured in an accident Wednesday on a stretch of Jericho Turnpike in Smithtown. via Newsday.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Zoe

Bronx, NY

#143 Nov 3, 2007
Brittney Spears wrote:
JEN, YOU KNOW WHAT I AM REALLY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS! AND I READ THE ARTICLE WRONG, I THOUGHT YOUR BROTHER WAS THE DRIVER, SO FOR THAT I AM SORRY. I DO BELIEVE THAT KIDS SHOULD NOT BE ALOUD OUT ON THEIR LUNCH BREAKS DURING SCHOOL, AND I DO FEEL SOME KIDS THAT AGE SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING BUT I DID NOT MEAN YOUR BROTHER, I MEANT THE ONE DRIVING THE CAR. I HOPE HE GET CHARGED FOR VEHICLE MANSLAUGHTER, WITH REFERENCE TO MY FIANCE THE TYPE OF CAR I HAD AT THE TIME DON'T BYE A HYUANDAI HE WAS LAYING DOWN IN THE FRONT SEAT AND WHEN MY CAR FLIPPED HE WAS THROWN OUT OF THE CAR BECAUSE THE SEAT BELT DID NOT WORK IN THE RECLYNING POSITION, DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I BLAMED HIM, MYSELF, AND THE CAR AND HIS FAMILY HATES MY GUTS, I HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT GUILT THE REST OF MY LIFE, IT IS NOW 12 YEARS SINCE THAT HAPPENED AND THE GUILT NEVER GOES AWAY. THE PART THAT I AGREED WITH REGARDING LEE WAS THAT THE DRIVER WAS A MURDERER. I DON'T BELIEVE YOUR BROTHER DESERVED TO DIE HE WAS TOO YOUNG AND BECAUSE OF AN INEXPERIENCED DRIVER, HE IS NOW GONE.
Like I said....Shut the Hell Up! You are an hysterical child.

Enough already!
Zoe

Bronx, NY

#144 Nov 3, 2007
Again...

Everyone is looking to place blame.

The so called blame for this senseless ACCIDENT, unfortunately, belongs to the parent's of the driver.

They bought him the car, they insured it and they allowed that child, with out the proper credentials, to drive it to school.

That boy will now live the rest of his life knowing what he did. The parents of the children that lost their lives will never be the same.

All our prayers go out to all the families involved.

Parents: listen up...Say no to your kids, saying no to them is not going to KILL them.
Astonished in St James

Bronx, NY

#145 Nov 3, 2007
Zoe wrote:
Again...
Everyone is looking to place blame.
The so called blame for this senseless ACCIDENT, unfortunately, belongs to the parent's of the driver.
They bought him the car, they insured it and they allowed that child, with out the proper credentials, to drive it to school.
That boy will now live the rest of his life knowing what he did. The parents of the children that lost their lives will never be the same.
All our prayers go out to all the families involved.
Parents: listen up...Say no to your kids, saying no to them is not going to KILL them.
Zoe, I've seen your post on another thread. Where are you getting that his parents bought him a car? I haven't seen that written anywhere. Also, it now appears that he was driving legally, that he did in fact have his license. If that is the case, I don't see how his parents are responsible. What did they do wrong by allowing their son, who passed his driver's test and was licensed to drive, drive to school? I agree that too many parents these days let their kids do whatever they want, but it is not ALL parents. I also think everyone feels the need to blame someone for every bad thing that happens, that is why we live in such a litigious society nowadays. As for holding the parents responsible in this instance, I just don't see it. At some point we have to give our children some freedom and responsibility and pray that they have been listening to the lessons we have taught and that they do the right thing.

If that were the case, that the parents bought an unlicensed driver a car, insured it and let him drive it to school then, yes, they would be responsible. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here.
dont worry bout it

Yonkers, NY

#146 Nov 4, 2007
Brittney Spears wrote:
they should not let children leave school on their lunch breaks anyway now these 2 idiots who obviously were driving too fast without a proper license are dead and an innocent 13 year old boy is dead too. my condolences to all the families involved.
btw the driver has a full license he is 17 years old but only had his jr license on him. dont you think it would make sence that he had a parking permit at the school. when you are 16 you cannot drive to school! so get the facts straight. maybe if you knew these people you would understand
Smithtown friend

Yonkers, NY

#147 Nov 4, 2007
Brittney Spears wrote:
YES IT IS A TRADGEDY ALL AROUND BUT THE TRUE FACT IS THEY WERE DRIVING TOO FAST, THAT CAR WAS NOT RECOGNIZABLE, AND BECAUSE OF THEIR NEGLIGENCE IN WHICH IT IS!!!!!!!!! A 13 YEAR OLD INNOCENT BOY IS DEAD!!!!!!!! THIS IS REALITY AND A FACT!!!!!!
whoever you are "Brittney Spears" you should think and get the story striaght before you leave comments that make you sound really stupid because steve has a full license! he only had his jr's on him at the time. and it was an accident. a 17yr old boy killed my grandfather on christmas a few years ago and im not blaming him for being on drugs or having a "permit" so shut up. if it happened to u .. i sure you wounldnt say the things u are saying
NY Grannie

Warwick, NY

#148 Nov 4, 2007
It is called an ACCIDENT because it was not a deliberate act. To say that blame should not be assessed is ludicrous. Blame will be assessed during the many lawsuits that arise from this. The driver may even spend time in jail (one can only hope). But the true people responsible are the people who put the car keys into that child's hand. The only true innocents are the 13 year old and his suffering family.
Zoe

Bronx, NY

#149 Nov 4, 2007
NY Grannie wrote:
It is called an ACCIDENT because it was not a deliberate act. To say that blame should not be assessed is ludicrous. Blame will be assessed during the many lawsuits that arise from this. The driver may even spend time in jail (one can only hope). But the true people responsible are the people who put the car keys into that child's hand. The only true innocents are the 13 year old and his suffering family.
My Point Exactly!!!
Re NY Grannie

Levittown, NY

#150 Nov 4, 2007
NY Grannie wrote:
I am going to assume from your post name that you are a grandmother. Imagine for a second that one of your grandkids were Mike or Dan. Would their death not be a tragedy then? All three deaths are tragedies.
R I P

Bronx, NY

#151 Nov 5, 2007
Today were the funerals for the three boys that were senselessly killed in this horric accident.
I can only offer empty words of condolences to all the families who had to bury their sweet precious children today. There are no words or thoughts or prayers that can take that heart wrenching pain away and make it all better.
As a mother of child that was also killed in a terrible car accident, I pray for these families and the pain they are all going through. It is a pain, an emptyness in your heart, and it will never go away or be the same ever again.
May God be with you and your children.
Andrea

Levittown, NY

#152 Nov 5, 2007
This was a terrible, horrific accident and 3 lives were lost. The driver of the vehicle is in his own hell. He will have to live with this for the rest of his life. Blaming the driver is not going to bring back those 3 lives lost. I pray for the 3 boys that are now in a far better place, and I also pray for the driver. This accident could of happened to any of us. The area where the accident occured is horrible! You can barely see the lines in the road due to patch jobs. Repave the road and make the roads safer!
NY Grannie

Warwick, NY

#153 Nov 21, 2007
Re NY Grannie wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to assume from your post name that you are a grandmother. Imagine for a second that one of your grandkids were Mike or Dan. Would their death not be a tragedy then? All three deaths are tragedies.
I am not saying that it was not a tragedy. The loss of a young life is always a tragedy. Teenagers often make errors in judgment (such as these children did). I AM saying that the only true innocent was the 13 year old.
friend

Hawthorne, NJ

#154 Jan 4, 2008
To all of you people who are that stupid to post your hurtful opinions screw you. Guess what, people who were deeply cared for died that day so before you pass judgement upon them, their familes and the schools think about if someone you loved was taken from you in this tradgety. I attended the wake of mike western and I know all the pain these people and familes are going through is enough punishment for a life time. So grow up and shut your mouths.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 21 hr Bruser 2,759
News SCPD Video: Suspect Made Off With $2300 in iPho... 21 hr Kingriker 1
S Prestano Bakery Mon Luigi 9
Review: Fairharbor Owners (Feb '15) Sep 14 Former Resident 33
Ronkonkomo Sep 14 SmokinJoe 1
Farmingville, NY (Jul '10) Sep 14 SmokinJoe 37
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Sep 13 Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,483

Nesconset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance