Two teens killed in Smithtown crash

Two teens killed in Smithtown crash

There are 152 comments on the Newsday.com story from Nov 1, 2007, titled Two teens killed in Smithtown crash. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

“We'll do our best to take care of the kids and get them through this.”

Two Smithtown High School West seniors on their lunch break were thrown from a car and killed and two other teens injured in an accident Wednesday on a stretch of Jericho Turnpike in Smithtown. via Newsday.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
classmate

Yonkers, NY

#1 Nov 1, 2007
hey does anyone know dan or mike's myspace. i would like to leave my condolences
Ahab

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Nov 1, 2007
Was the driver speeding? Was he weaving in and out of traffic? What caused him to lose control of his vehicle? Why was he on the road during school hours? How long will it take for all the families affected by this tragedy to recover? How/why do we allow these tragedies to continue to occur time after time? Is the collective memory so short? So callous? Perhaps it is easier just to forget and get on with our lives? How many disasters and loss of lives will it take to induce NY State to spend the dollars to finally and completely redesign and rebuild this road segment.

This section of Route 25 between Old Willets Path and Meadow Road in Smithtown is hazardous to motorists for a number of reasons, and has been for as long as anyone can remember. Previous improvements have provided only minor remediation. The roadway remains too narrow in light of motorist driving behavior. The four painted yellow lines separating opposing traffic is absurd. The pavement seems never to be in the best condition. Too many motorists use the long, straight stretch as a speedway. Many others prefer to stay in the left lane to avoid drivers obeying the speed limit in the right lane. The road section heading east as one approaches Meadow Road curves fairly sharply to the right on a downward slope. Line-of-sight to the intersection traffic light is nil. A driver heading west in the late afternoon is blinded by the sun, and can be visually confused by the reflective black crack-filler material covering the pavement.
Drive Safely

East Setauket, NY

#3 Nov 1, 2007
Don't forget the 13 year old in the minivan - he's dead too.
lee

Auburn, AL

#4 Nov 1, 2007
Why is News removing all the forums concerning the idiot with the Civic who crossed the solid yellow lines and killed the 13 yr old child. SHAME ON YOU NEWSDAY !!! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH ???? YOU BUCKLED UP TO THOSE PATHETIC WHINERS. I'M HEADED FOR NY DAILY NEWS.!!!!!!!!!
sick

United States

#5 Nov 1, 2007
need to get a hummer to avoid crazy teenagers on the road
Stunned

Passaic, NJ

#6 Nov 1, 2007
My prayers are with the families of the victims, and also for Steven's recovery. God Bless them all.
Brittney Spears

Long Beach, NY

#7 Nov 1, 2007
they should not let children leave school on their lunch breaks anyway now these 2 idiots who obviously were driving too fast without a proper license are dead and an innocent 13 year old boy is dead too. my condolences to all the families involved.
Speed Kills

East Setauket, NY

#9 Nov 1, 2007
Rocket Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
I would bet that speed was a major factor.
I would bet as well - the car was split in half.
Brittney Spears

Long Beach, NY

#10 Nov 1, 2007
NOW A POOR INNOCENT BOY IS DEAD BECAUSE OF IGNORANT TEENS WHO DRIVE STUPID!!!!!!THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DRIVING BECAUSE THEY DID NOT HAVE A LICENSE THEY JUST HAD A PERMIT!!!!!!!!! THIS IS SO SAD
lee

Auburn, AL

#11 Nov 1, 2007
Brittney Spears wrote:
NOW A POOR INNOCENT BOY IS DEAD BECAUSE OF IGNORANT TEENS WHO DRIVE STUPID!!!!!!THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DRIVING BECAUSE THEY DID NOT HAVE A LICENSE THEY JUST HAD A PERMIT!!!!!!!!! THIS IS SO SAD
ONLY ON LONG ISLAND.!!!!!!!!!
fellow student

Bronx, NY

#12 Nov 1, 2007
The driver had his full liscense and went through drivers ed. through the school get your facts straight before you post your obnoxious opinion
lee

United States

#13 Nov 1, 2007
fellow student wrote:
The driver had his full liscense and went through drivers ed. through the school get your facts straight before you post your obnoxious opinion
Obviously driver's education did not seem to help him. They just use driver's ed as a means to get their license a year early at 17 yrs old rather than 18 yrs. This is what happens to stupid idiots who think their on the autobhan. No driving skills, No experience, No common sense, and No consideration for others on the road. Bottom line, they wrote a check their ass couldn't cash. So Sad.!!!!!!!!! This is not a mistake, this is stupidity.!!!!!!!!!
rediculous

West New York, NJ

#14 Nov 1, 2007
lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously driver's education did not seem to help him. They just use driver's ed as a means to get their license a year early at 17 yrs old rather than 18 yrs. This is what happens to stupid idiots who think their on the autobhan. No driving skills, No experience, No common sense, and No consideration for others on the road. Bottom line, they wrote a check their ass couldn't cash. So Sad.!!!!!!!!! This is not a mistake, this is stupidity.!!!!!!!!!
stupidity is you even sayin something like that.. get a life you obviously dont know the road, the kids or the facts of this accident. this is a very tragic accident. dont say teens cant drive because of one accident because there has been a lot of accidents with adults that have had the liscenses for a long time, but ACCIDENTS happens
my heart goes out to all the families and friends
lee

United States

#15 Nov 1, 2007
rediculous wrote:
<quoted text>
stupidity is you even sayin something like that.. get a life you obviously dont know the road, the kids or the facts of this accident. this is a very tragic accident. dont say teens cant drive because of one accident because there has been a lot of accidents with adults that have had the liscenses for a long time, but ACCIDENTS happens
my heart goes out to all the families and friends
Just like I said, inexperience. By virtue of the difficult of that road your are implying about should have indicate to them by SLOWING DOWN. So don't go making any execuses for them because they were to stupid not to realize that they are on a public roadway, not in the Indianapolis 500.
I stand by my comment, to their stupidity and inexperience exceeded their ability. Two idiots off the road, to avoid murdering innocent people. It seems like idiotic people always take innocent people with them by acting like A-HOLE on the roads. Good riddins.!!!!!!!!!
speeding

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Nov 2, 2007
rediculous wrote:
<quoted text>
stupidity is you even sayin something like that.. get a life you obviously dont know the road, the kids or the facts of this accident. this is a very tragic accident. dont say teens cant drive because of one accident because there has been a lot of accidents with adults that have had the liscenses for a long time, but ACCIDENTS happens
my heart goes out to all the families and friends
Stupidity is the driver driving illegally and killing 3 innocent people, stupidity is the parents giving this kid a car. We know the facts he crossed over a double tellow line and killed and innocent 13 year old biy driving with his mom. THAT IS STUPIDITY!
Re le

Levittown, NY

#17 Nov 2, 2007
lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like I said, inexperience. By virtue of the difficult of that road your are implying about should have indicate to them by SLOWING DOWN. So don't go making any execuses for them because they were to stupid not to realize that they are on a public roadway, not in the Indianapolis 500.
I stand by my comment, to their stupidity and inexperience exceeded their ability. Two idiots off the road, to avoid murdering innocent people. It seems like idiotic people always take innocent people with them by acting like A-HOLE on the roads. Good riddins.!!!!!!!!!
I guess I will just let your words speak for themselves to show who the real A-HOLE is here.
Re Lee

Levittown, NY

#18 Nov 2, 2007
lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like I said, inexperience. By virtue of the difficult of that road your are implying about should have indicate to them by SLOWING DOWN. So don't go making any execuses for them because they were to stupid not to realize that they are on a public roadway, not in the Indianapolis 500.
I stand by my comment, to their stupidity and inexperience exceeded their ability. Two idiots off the road, to avoid murdering innocent people. It seems like idiotic people always take innocent people with them by acting like A-HOLE on the roads. Good riddins.!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to let your words speak for themselves; they show who the true A-HOLE is.
faust

Addison, TX

#19 Nov 2, 2007
fellow student wrote:
The driver had his full liscense and went through drivers ed. through the school get your facts straight before you post your obnoxious opinion
No he did NOT have his ful license.

He was not legaly allowed to drive to school nor have teen passengers.

Now beceause this kid and his parents thought themselves too goos to follow the ruls and bunch of families will spend this weekend at funeral homes. Now are mommy and daddy proud of him?
Disgusted

Coram, NY

#20 Nov 2, 2007
The whole thing is a shame. I think it is rediculous that there are people posting obsurd comments on here as if they were never young and "stupid". I think that the entire situation is horrible and there should be a little more sympathy for everyone. Whatever the circumstances were, there are people that died that shouldn't have. If anything, this should be an eye opener for other "inexperienced" young drivers to slow it down and pay attention. If anything have some sympathy for the parents who may come on here to see what people have to say about the tragedy.
smithtown mom

New Brunswick, NJ

#21 Nov 2, 2007
Wow, you must be perfect! You never made a mistake. Wow !God Bless!
lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like I said, inexperience. By virtue of the difficult of that road your are implying about should have indicate to them by SLOWING DOWN. So don't go making any execuses for them because they were to stupid not to realize that they are on a public roadway, not in the Indianapolis 500.
I stand by my comment, to their stupidity and inexperience exceeded their ability. Two idiots off the road, to avoid murdering innocent people. It seems like idiotic people always take innocent people with them by acting like A-HOLE on the roads. Good riddins.!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Public Safety SCCC Selden 8 hr This is fun 5
News Islip Supervisor: Town pay raises were approved... 13 hr recall vote know 12
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 16 hr Bruser 2,708
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) Tue Twizzler4158 121,901
Patchogue Fire Dept Dec 1 John 5
News The Gangs of (Brentwood) New York Nov 28 The Mick 3
News Tankleff half sister rips DA, says Marty's guilty (Jan '08) Nov 27 Released 101

Nesconset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nesconset Mortgages