Smithtown affected by building depart...

Smithtown affected by building department probe -- Retirement, ...

There are 24 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 2, 2008, titled Smithtown affected by building department probe -- Retirement, .... In it, Newsday reports that:

In the wake of news that a prominent developer had pleaded guilty to bribing a former Smithtown building department official, town officials said the Suffolk district attorney's two-year corruption ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sam

Ardsley, NY

#4 Apr 2, 2008
What a joke. The head of the family says all is well and things are running fine. Sure, pal. I'm sure you are a fine upstanding citizen, who just happens to be surrounded by bribe taking criminals. You knew nothing about it, right? You are shocked and surprised, right?
Thieves

Scarsdale, NY

#7 Apr 2, 2008
Bill Ellis says everything is OK. A builder says he never saw any corruption. What a crock. Joanne Gray was right and they did everything possible to shut her up. That's how this town works - get rid of the honest people who won't keep their mouths shut. Want to keep your job? Put on blinders and go with the flow. I can't wait to see Vecchio and McCarthy on the front page of Newsday being led away in handcuffs.
LI Resident

Melville, NY

#8 Apr 2, 2008
Yeah, you hear nothing but horror stories of poor treatment of Smithtown residents by the town departments (building, zoning, etc.). Nothing but nightmares and abuse. I had to deal with significant attitude over a stop sign request for a residential street that people were driving at 60 mph. It's payback time now. Oh, yes it is.
One bad apple

Huntington Station, NY

#9 Apr 2, 2008
In a town that size you are going to have a bad apple. And if two people conspire to steal it makes it even harder to stop.
Humpty Dumpty

AOL

#10 Apr 2, 2008
I think we should have a pool on how long it is before Patty Vecchio checks himself into the hospital with some "undiagnosable" illness.

Buhbye boys - Eddie, Tommy, Patty - I wonder if the DA will keep going to local attorneys, past board members, zoning boards, etc. I'm getting the popcorn ready! This is going to be a great show!
WOODY from ST JAMES

AOL

#11 Apr 2, 2008
Thieves wrote:
Bill Ellis says everything is OK. A builder says he never saw any corruption. What a crock. Joanne Gray was right and they did everything possible to shut her up. That's how this town works - get rid of the honest people who won't keep their mouths shut. Want to keep your job? Put on blinders and go with the flow. I can't wait to see Vecchio and McCarthy on the front page of Newsday being led away in handcuffs.
NOW THATS NOT NICE JOANNE!!!
Smiles

Plainview, NY

#12 Apr 2, 2008
The abuse that my family had to endure at the hands of Bonerba and his gang was horrible. Over 6K in "additional triple fees" that were all of a sudden added to our application for a stinking C.O. Then came the refusal to hand over the C.O. on the date promised while the darn thing was sitting on Bonerba's desk! What a creep.

I hope that the Libarary Board are the next ones to be investigated...PLEASE???? Arrogant jerks!
Justlookingforan icehome

Melville, NY

#13 Apr 2, 2008
I have to go for a variance, I only wonder what horrors await me.
Jay

United States

#14 Apr 2, 2008
There's no question that it has an effect on the town's operation," Councilman Edward Wehrheim said yesterday.

YEAH, MAYBE THE BUILDING DEPT EMPLOYEES WILL HAVE TO TREAT PEOPLE THAT COME INTO THEIR OFFICE WITH A LITTLE RESPECT AND DIGNITY. I HAVE GONE INTO THAT OFFICE A FEW TIMES JUST FOR INFORMATION AND WAS TREATED WITH NOTHING BUT ATTITUDE. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT PEOPLE THAT HAVE TO GO THROUGH A PERMIT PROCESS MUST ENDURE. IT IS TIME FOR A COMPLETE OVERHAUL OF THIS TOWN.

I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I WAS NO FAN OF JOANNE GRAY, BUT I DID VOTE FOR HER BECAUSE AT TIMES SHE DID RAISE SOME VALID POINTS THAT THE REST OF THE VECCHIO GANG WOULD IMMEDIATELY DISMISS. SHE HAD HER OWN AGENDA THAT I DIDN'T AGREE WITH BUT SHE WOULD AIR THE BOARDS DIRTY LAUNDRY AT THE TOWN MEETINGS.

JUST WATCH THE TOWN MEETINGS ON CHANNEL 18 - IT'S AN EYE AWAKENING EXPERIENCE. GRAY PUSHED FOR TELEVISED MEETINGS -NO WONDER THE REST OF THE BOARD DIDN'T WANT IT AIRED -
NOW EVERYONE CAN SEE THEIR TRUE COLORS
LI Resident

Melville, NY

#15 Apr 2, 2008
FYI: Pat Biancanello is relatively new to the board compared to some of the well worn members and has always been respectful in those meetings. Not EVERYONE on the board has a profitable agenda.
Poster

Roslyn, NY

#16 Apr 2, 2008
LI Resident wrote:
FYI: Pat Biancanello is relatively new to the board compared to some of the well worn members and has always been respectful in those meetings. Not EVERYONE on the board has a profitable agenda.
I think the prior poster was referring to the poor treatment they and others receive from the public servants/public officials. BTW this issue is an underlying problem of many of the LI building departments.
Nesconset Res

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Apr 2, 2008
Smithtown residents, its your own fault!!! You keep the same administration for 25 years, what would you expect. Can anyone say Term limits. If it is good enough for a nation then it is good enough for the township. the first domino has fallen. High Taxes no improvements in quality of life. Build the buildings but leave it to the state to fix the traffic problems. I can not wait for Vecchio and the others share a cell with the crook McGowan.
mark

West New York, NJ

#18 Apr 3, 2008
best run town in america
Thieves

Scarsdale, NY

#19 Apr 3, 2008
WOODY from ST JAMES wrote:
<quoted text>NOW THATS NOT NICE JOANNE!!!
I'm not Joanne....sorry. But you have to admit she was on to something.
Nesconset Res

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Apr 3, 2008
mark wrote:
best run town in america
You need to get out more
LI GUY

White Plains, NY

#21 Apr 11, 2008
Joanne Gray was the best thing that happen to that board.
LI GUY

White Plains, NY

#22 Apr 11, 2008
Nesconset Res wrote:
Smithtown residents, its your own fault!!! You keep the same administration for 25 years, what would you expect. Can anyone say Term limits. If it is good enough for a nation then it is good enough for the township. the first domino has fallen. High Taxes no improvements in quality of life. Build the buildings but leave it to the state to fix the traffic problems. I can not wait for Vecchio and the others share a cell with the crook McGowan.
Wont that be a great day
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#23 Apr 13, 2008
Now how about checking on all the landlords who bribed the town to look the other way so that they don't have to obey the housing regulations. I'd like to see that happen and what a line up that will be.
justified

Selden, NY

#24 Apr 15, 2008
woody from st.james if that was joanne ten was that Pat or Eddie who said the best run town on LI? Give me a break
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#25 Apr 15, 2008
I used to love living here. Born & raised. My kids too. Now I can't wait to go. I know every place has problems, but at least it won't be some place I used to love turning into a pile of crap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 23 hr Bruser 2,623
Charles Richard Greene Sun Jayar 1
News Residents loudly complain about noise ordinance - (Sep '07) Sat Angry neighbor 162
Review: Joey B Plumbing & Heating Inc (Jul '10) Sat kris 5
Alexander N Di Guardia May 28 Jayar 1
News Islip residents angry over new rules at Atlanti... May 25 Baker 5
News Angie Carpenter, Islip supervisor, optimistic a... (May '15) May 25 true independent 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nesconset Mortgages