Property tax challenges flood town go...

Property tax challenges flood town governments

There are 62 comments on the Newsday story from May 14, 2009, titled Property tax challenges flood town governments. In it, Newsday reports that:

A wave of property tax challenges across Long Island , especially in Suffolk County, is flooding town governments and prompting warnings that many homeowners could wind up paying higher rates than they expect.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Fred Gorman

Brooklyn, NY

#41 May 15, 2009
WHAT YOU MUST KNOW BEFORE YOU VOTE

1) Education law does not require Boards of Education to be accurate in their estimations or to
use factual information because it is available.
2) A School budget is this year's guesses based on last year's guesses, often without actual
cost being considered.
3) An adopted budget and tax levy can be changed after the voters approved the budget for
unforeseen circumstances such as a new union contract approved days after the voters
approved the budget.
4) The difference between an adopted and contingent budget is the difference between an
open checkbook and limited funds
5) School Districts doi not have to be honest when discribing School Contingent Budgets.
Scream... No more state mandates without funding!
Demand... An end to reserves and fund balance above 4% of Budget
Insist... on Union give backs. 7% raises, life time health benefits and

Nassau 2009-10 Budgets…$4,919,287,997… Tax Levy…$3,783,400,234
Suffolk 2009-10 Budgets…$5,312,849,880 Tax Levy…$3,319,108,690
Long Island Budget…$10,232,137,877… Tax Levy…$7,102,508,924

NYS Mandates everything and only pays $2.8 Billion. LI Homeowners pay $7.3 Billion

Cost Per Pupil ... Nassau 206,119 Students 2009-10 Cost Per Pupil $23,866
Cost Per Pupil …Suffolk 245,894 Students 2009-10 Cost Per Pupil $21,590

$1.26 Billion of Taxpayer overcharges are sitting in School District Bank Accounts
Suffolk Co…Reserves $456,166,098 & Un Appropriated Funds $164,836,681
Nassau Co …Reserves $466,946,307 & Un Appropriated Funds $173,831,044

For Your District’s Teacher-Administrator Salaries go to www.lischppltax.com
Fred Gorman

Brooklyn, NY

#42 May 15, 2009
What gives

New York, NY

#43 May 15, 2009
Dude wrote:
Yeah Baby!!!
My asessed market value last year was 960K. I just got my appraisal in the mail for a refi that said 630K.
$$$ Ching,$$$ Ching.
Don't think for one iota of a second that your taxes are going down. Far freakin from it pal!
booker_T

Hackettstown, NJ

#44 May 15, 2009
I didn't get a financial increase in my salary to help my household budget, why should the County live by different rules?
booker_T

Hackettstown, NJ

#45 May 15, 2009
School budgets wrote:
Voting down school budgets is simply reactionary. You need to go to the budget meetings and ask questions and offer suggestions. Most school boards do not have much input from taxpayers until the taxpayers complain, complain, complain. But they do nothing until they can complain again. Stop whining and go to the meetings.
They should know how to run their business. And as 'intellegent educators' they should see what's happening in their district.
If I go, I'm bringing a gun. Added Lawn Sprinklers and teacher raises while the private sector gets layed off.. Is SWR district kidding me?
American Gringo

Hackettstown, NJ

#46 May 15, 2009
I'm on the ' I don't pay for schools my children go to'
I do not pay when I'm sick I just walk into the Emergency room, I don't pay for car insurance or even to register my car. I do not pay for a drivers license 'cause I don't have one. I don't pay rent for months at a time and nobody throws me out.

I am the 'American illegal alien'

Thanks for the benefits
voter

Brentwood, NY

#47 May 15, 2009
revolt wrote:
I do attend many meetings and I always vote NO NO NO.
Increases in Budgets every year are for teachers salaries and not our kids.
and yet the budgets get approved.....

apparently people disagree
get out now

Queens Village, NY

#48 May 15, 2009
School budgets wrote:
Voting down school budgets is simply reactionary. You need to go to the budget meetings and ask questions and offer suggestions. Most school boards do not have much input from taxpayers until the taxpayers complain, complain, complain. But they do nothing until they can complain again. Stop whining and go to the meetings.
complain? are you kidding? Maybe if we didn't all work long hours to pay for the ludicruous budgets that are given to use to pay for overpaid teachers, overpaid admins and waste upon waste we'd have time to go to meetings. Why bother...the system is BROKE...YOU broke it...and now you want US involved to fix it?

Easier solution...VOTE NO EVERY TIME, EVERY YEAR....and don't give in. This island is a joke filled with people that REALLY think our over-priced schools are worth it..when in fact many other states/districts do it for A LOT less and produe FAR brighter students all w/out the maffia teacher unions and garbage from the school boards.
taxed to death

Wayne, NJ

#49 May 15, 2009
get out now

Queens Village, NY

#50 May 15, 2009
Fred Gorman wrote:
WHAT YOU MUST KNOW BEFORE YOU VOTE
1) Education law does not require Boards of Education to be accurate in their estimations or to
use factual information because it is available.
2) A School budget is this year's guesses based on last year's guesses, often without actual
cost being considered.
3) An adopted budget and tax levy can be changed after the voters approved the budget for
unforeseen circumstances such as a new union contract approved days after the voters
approved the budget.
4) The difference between an adopted and contingent budget is the difference between an
open checkbook and limited funds
5) School Districts doi not have to be honest when discribing School Contingent Budgets.
Scream... No more state mandates without funding!
Demand... An end to reserves and fund balance above 4% of Budget
Insist... on Union give backs. 7% raises, life time health benefits and
Nassau 2009-10 Budgets…$4,919,287,997… Tax Levy…$3,783,400,234
Suffolk 2009-10 Budgets…$5,312,849,880 Tax Levy…$3,319,108,690
Long Island Budget…$10,232,137,877… Tax Levy…$7,102,508,924
NYS Mandates everything and only pays $2.8 Billion. LI Homeowners pay $7.3 Billion
Cost Per Pupil ... Nassau 206,119 Students 2009-10 Cost Per Pupil $23,866
Cost Per Pupil …Suffolk 245,894 Students 2009-10 Cost Per Pupil $21,590
$1.26 Billion of Taxpayer overcharges are sitting in School District Bank Accounts
Suffolk Co…Reserves $456,166,098 & Un Appropriated Funds $164,836,681
Nassau Co …Reserves $466,946,307 & Un Appropriated Funds $173,831,044
For Your District’s Teacher-Administrator Salaries go to www.lischppltax.com
Apparently 2 overpaid teachers disagree with your post...however, I agree...what a JOKE...more to educate a child on LI than pay for college??? UNBELIEVABLE yet the maffia unions and teachers all think they are GOD'S gift to LI for creating this broken system where every year....with no real accounting/budgeting skills they just increase the previous years budget (which was the same joke) by a set % to come up with the next joke of a budget.

Smithtown school want 2 million for astro-turf!! WHATTTTTTTTTTT...for God sakes, play on the grass/dirt. THIS is what we are paying for??????????

VOTE NO....volunteer to drive those that cannot get there to VOTE NO and enough with the 'its for the kids' lie that has been given for 20 years now with more and more dumbed down kids and more and more overpaid teachers that DON'T GET IT.
PropTaxChall8

Brooklyn, NY

#51 May 15, 2009
Your School Tax is the biggest part of your property tax bill. Your paying for retired teachers also. Mike Bloomberg said civil servant pay and pensions will bankrupt NYC.
If you think Long Island is any different your in denial.
Funny how them teacher full pay pensions with benefits never seem to run out of tax payer money. Actually all government civil service pensions never run out, and they can retire after only 20 years. Now think about it, when your a civil servant you are supervised by other civil servants, not a boss or owner, so everybody just takes it easy and puts in their time. They also set the pay and pension level,benefit level too. Watch how they won't respond with weather this is fair or not but will call names and say you are jealous of their good thing. But they are gaming the system because they just think you are stupid for not noticing the rip off (your taxes going up) that is going on daily. They are educated and know the pay and benefits,which are unsustainable do not exist in the private sector.
voter

Brentwood, NY

#52 May 15, 2009
PropTaxChall8 wrote:
Your School Tax is the biggest part of your property tax bill. Your paying for retired teachers also. Mike Bloomberg said civil servant pay and pensions will bankrupt NYC.
Funny how them teacher full pay pensions with benefits never seem to run out of tax payer money. Actually all government civil service pensions never run out, and they can retire after only 20 years. Now think about it, when your a civil servant you are supervised by other civil servants, not a boss or owner, so everybody just takes it easy and puts in their time. They also set the pay and pension level,benefit level too. Watch how they won't respond with weather this is fair or not but will call names and say you are jealous of their good thing. But they are gaming the system because they just think you are stupid for not noticing the rip off (your taxes going up) that is going on daily. They are educated and know the pay and benefits,which are unsustainable do not exist in the private sector.
for starters, you can retire after 20 yrs with drastically reduced benefits depending upon your age. that is just one inaccuarate point....
voter

Brentwood, NY

#53 May 15, 2009
PropTaxChall8 wrote:
now about your spelling and grammar...
paul

Fairfield, CT

#54 May 16, 2009
voter wrote:
<quoted text>
now about your spelling and grammar...
spelling and grammar? the comment is one you do not like, so you attempt to lower it's impact by finding mistakes in spelling and grammar? Who cares besides an idiot like you?
paul

Fairfield, CT

#55 May 16, 2009
School budgets wrote:
You and I both know that your suggestion is nonsense, to me, it sounds like the remark of a tax beneficiary, and not a tax Payer. The unions are in complete control of everything and you know it, and are not about to allow any reform to their sweet racket no matter how many honest citizens waste their time addressing union controlled school boards. While we are on the subject, perhaps you can tell me why it is called a "Budget vote" when it is only a vote on the chump change left over from the "contract negotiations" secretely negotiated by our team of "contract negotiators" who give away the store at every "negotiation" shouldn't that be part of the budget vote, instead of being seperated and finalized in secret long before the "budget vote"? The taxpayer's are being swindled by this trick, and you know it.!!
voter

Brooklyn, NY

#56 May 18, 2009
Why can schools keep puting their budgets to a vote until they pass? Are they allowed to wear us down until we cry uncle?
voter

Brentwood, NY

#57 May 18, 2009
paul wrote:
<quoted text>spelling and grammar? the comment is one you do not like, so you attempt to lower it's impact by finding mistakes in spelling and grammar? Who cares besides an idiot like you?
i was pointing out an inaccurate comment. you have quite the set of "keyboard cohones" don't you?....
paul

Fairfield, CT

#58 May 18, 2009
voter wrote:
<quoted text>
i was pointing out an inaccurate comment. you have quite the set of "keyboard cohones" don't you?....
Sorry voter, I get pretty steamed on this subject, and a bit quick on the trigger. As you must know, a favorite ploy to embarrass a person is to point out mistakes in grammar and spelling, a tactic used by teachers, who have little else to argue with. You fooled me with that one, so watch it, or I'll jump down your throat if you try it on ME!
voter

Brentwood, NY

#59 May 26, 2009
paul wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry voter, I get pretty steamed on this subject, and a bit quick on the trigger. As you must know, a favorite ploy to embarrass a person is to point out mistakes in grammar and spelling, a tactic used by teachers, who have little else to argue with. You fooled me with that one, so watch it, or I'll jump down your throat if you try it on ME!
calm down tough guy......
poco mas

Brooklyn, NY

#60 May 26, 2009
i use your water, i use your roads, i use your school. i dont need no stinking taxes.

ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 10 hr Bruser 2,445
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Lake Grove Sat seemesmile 6
News Parts of private Cedar Beach accessible to public (Feb '09) Jul 3 Ms Kay 30
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) Jul 2 Down South 121,920
News Smithtown parishioners planning protest of chur... (Aug '07) Jul 2 Anthony 1,814
Debate: Drinking Age - Ronkonkoma, NY (Dec '11) Jul 1 my opinion 2
Subway (May '14) Jul 1 Food for thought 4
More from around the web

Nesconset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Nesconset Mortgages