Property tax challenges flood town go...

Property tax challenges flood town governments

There are 62 comments on the Newsday story from May 14, 2009, titled Property tax challenges flood town governments. In it, Newsday reports that:

A wave of property tax challenges across Long Island , especially in Suffolk County, is flooding town governments and prompting warnings that many homeowners could wind up paying higher rates than they expect.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Home

Richmond Hill, NY

#21 May 14, 2009
My advice is get out of New York as soon as you can. These idiots deserve a major spanking and will get it in the coming years.
fed-up

AOL

#22 May 15, 2009
Vote all of them down. Taxpayers have to take a stand that we cant afford even one more nickle.
true

Spring Valley, NY

#23 May 15, 2009
here it is again-
vote for the budget or the poor children may have to do with out.
how about we get rid the over loaded top tier with people we do not need.why do we not have the teachers pay there our medical insurance when they retire-most of us do why not them cops and the teachers .are the mafia in a differnt form.
Steve

United States

#24 May 15, 2009
enough wrote:
Thats why im leaving this tax ridden zoo
Already moved. Smartest thing we ever did. We now have three times the house, 16 times the property and 1/3 of the tax burden!!!
Glad I Left LI

Charlotte, NC

#25 May 15, 2009
School budgets wrote:
Voting down school budgets is simply reactionary. You need to go to the budget meetings and ask questions and offer suggestions. Most school boards do not have much input from taxpayers until the taxpayers complain, complain, complain. But they do nothing until they can complain again. Stop whining and go to the meetings.
NAIVE is the nicest thing I can say. Teachers UNIONS are like the MAFIA.
Dude

East Meadow, NY

#26 May 15, 2009
Yeah Baby!!!

My asessed market value last year was 960K. I just got my appraisal in the mail for a refi that said 630K.

$$$ Ching,$$$ Ching.
Remember

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#27 May 15, 2009
REMEMBER THAT SIGH AT THE OAK BEACH INN And we thought he was Nuts ......LEAVE LONG ISLAND BEFORE ITS TO LATE
broke

Elizabeth, NJ

#28 May 15, 2009
School budgets wrote:
Voting down school budgets is simply reactionary. You need to go to the budget meetings and ask questions and offer suggestions. Most school boards do not have much input from taxpayers until the taxpayers complain, complain, complain. But they do nothing until they can complain again. Stop whining and go to the meetings.
Salaries are locked in and discussed behind closed doors. Going to meetings does NOTHING! The salaries account for almot 70-80% of the real budget!

What needs to be done is a change in the law - nothing with taxpayer money should be done behind closed doors.

It's a shame schools are threatening to take away sports, and programs while teachers are still getting an 6,7,8% raise.

How about the teachers take 1/2 that raise and put it towards the programs. That would be 'for the children.'

These are the worst times in economic history (since the Depression) and teachers don't think they need to 'help out?' The people paying their salaries are getting NO raise - where do they expect people to get this money to keep paying for everything? Have they seen the foreclosure rates?

Weird? I don't get it at all.. maybe deceny and integriy are not possible anymore. Just greed.
Eric

United States

#29 May 15, 2009
School districts don't have the necessary information to calculate the impact of their budgets on tax rates? A little tip...when you raise your budget proposals, taxes go up. Enough wasteful spending, outlandish salaries for administrators, state pensions and free healthcare benefits. Switch to investment accounts and higher employee healthcare premium contributions like the rest of the working class.
Pat from Babylon

Washington, DC

#30 May 15, 2009
People are fed up with the School Budget vote. If the budget is defeated they put it up for another vote. (Usually during the summer when most people are on vacation). One budget- one vote.
revolt

Westport, CT

#31 May 15, 2009
Visit Long Islanders for Educational Reform

LIFER ... www.lischooltaxes.com

Salaries of teachers are posted on this web-site
No Longer and Islander

Smithtown, NY

#32 May 15, 2009
enough wrote:
Thats why im leaving this tax ridden zoo
I did. Bought 11 acres in the south and paying 1/5th of the property taxes that I was paying here for 1/4 acre. Oh, and my car insurance went down as well by 72%. Same company, same coverage. I'm Happy :)
THE FRITO BANDITO

Brooklyn, NY

#33 May 15, 2009
DARKLE wrote:
The governor better stop sitting on his hands, and the NYState Legislature, too, and start to act to LOWER TAXES on Long Island!
100 of rampant Republican rule and creation of corrupt district to milk taxpayer money for everybody and their uncle involved with them has cost Long Islanders trillions of tax money, so that a few of them can live "high on the hog" while the rest of us are "holding the bag" for their high salaries, perks and luxyries.
Enough already! It's time to consolidate districts and lower the taxes on over-taxed property owners. Dump the districts.
Hey Darkle it's not the republicans it BOTH, BOTH, parties. They have ALL been crooked over the years.
Jen

New York, NY

#34 May 15, 2009
from the story:
"Nassau and Suffolk, with 15 percent of the state's population, accounted last year for 85 percent of all tax-assessment challenges filed in courts statewide."

Clearly a case for secession.
Bill Messina

Seattle, WA

#35 May 15, 2009
It is my understanding that assessors over assess and use the extra tax as an interest free loan which they only have to pay back if a homeowner makes a challenge.
This is a very cynical way to run town and county finances.
Are there any politicians who are willing to challenge this cynical system of taxation? They would get my vote.
Brian

Watertown, CT

#36 May 15, 2009
Well, if the schools can not figure out the impact on our taxes because they can not figure out the tax code WE NEED TO STOP PAYING OUR TAXES. it will not work if a couple of people do it. it has to be everyone, you'll see how fast things change when the people tell the government to get there act together. LI should be the 51st state. We are picking up the tax burden for the entire state. Most of us are paying taxes that are outright unfair and in some cases illegal. People need to step up and take action or these corrupt school officals and corrupt local governments will bleed this island dry.
Nassau Nell

Albany, NY

#37 May 15, 2009
VOTE NO ON TUESDAY

SCHOOL TAXES ARE 60% of the load

SEND THEM ALL A MESSAGE
Catholic

Smithtown, NY

#38 May 15, 2009
fed-up wrote:
Vote all of them down. Taxpayers have to take a stand that we cant afford even one more nickle.
Be very careful before you pull that "No" lever. In some cases, the budget that is up for a vote is less than the contingency budget that will take effect if the budget is voted down. Another factor to consider is that if a budget is voted down, certain "revenue producing" programs in a school district must be cut. The loss of revenue from "adult education", "community swim" can result in more of the budget burden being passed on to YOU....the taxpayer.

I'm pretty sure it was Three Village School District that had this same scenario a few years back. The contingency budget was higher than the proposed budget, so a NO vote meant higher taxes.
bobv

Haledon, NJ

#39 May 15, 2009
The problem with property assessments is it is too arbitrary. Make it measurable. For example, a rate for living space, non-living space, property and maybe road frontage. Then each area would have an equalization rate. In this way anyone who assesses the property would get the same result! Even the homeowner should be able to figure his taxes given a simple rate table for his area. This also serves to not punish those who improve and maintain their homes.

What is wrong with the political system that it must run on mystery.
big georgie

Hartsdale, NY

#40 May 15, 2009
In Crookhaven any person who bought a home after 1990 is over assessed . Compare your taxes to similar homes of your neighbors who have owned prior to 1990 and you will be shocked at the disparity ! If you bought after 1990 and have not grieved your taxes you are basically paying for your neighbors under assessment . What a great system !!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
attn Adoptees and Birthparents & Siblings Reunite! (Jan '12) 1 hr GraceE 37
News MTA: Woman punched at Central Islip station, fa... 11 hr Doug Gee 2
News Cuomo proposes sweeping $11.5M plan to steer LI... Jan 16 time to sell 2
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Jan 16 Bruser 2,827
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Jan 14 Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,520
News Southampton Town Police reports (Feb '09) Jan 13 Mel Brooks 6
News Selden fire victim's family in shock (Feb '09) Jan 11 hipster 8

Nesconset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance