Suffolk officials back appeal to work...

Suffolk officials back appeal to worker status ban

There are 60 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 10, 2008, titled Suffolk officials back appeal to worker status ban. In it, Newsday reports that:

Suffolk legislators Tuesday secretly voted to appeal a state Supreme Court judge's decision that blocked the county's worker status bill, though their decision is likely to draw another lawsuit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
maggie

Ocean Isle Beach, NC

#1 Jun 11, 2008
VOTERS - remember how YOUR politicians voted on this issue come election time. Remember you are paying exhoritant salaries to them to work for YOU.
Sandy

Venice, FL

#2 Jun 11, 2008
let the games begin!! I agree with Maggie, remember these jerks come November!
mlk

AOL

#3 Jun 11, 2008
It is a federal crime to hire an illegal alien. It is a federal crime to aid an abet and illegal alien. It is amazing that these politicians do everything in their power to aid and abet illegal aliens which is against the law.
ricky

Bronx, NY

#4 Jun 11, 2008
mr montano weren/t you a cop before you went into defending illegal s entering this country. while a police officer did you let all these law breakers walk.
LICICE

Rockaway, NJ

#5 Jun 11, 2008
The Long Island Coalition for Immigration Control and Enforcement applaudes the Legislature for passing the E-Verify bill and the bill on checking status of all probationers.
This is one more step in the right direction in the fight against illegal immigration.
Get involved.
www.numbersusa.com
www.patriotsborderalliance.com
Frank

Bronx, NY

#6 Jun 11, 2008
LICICE wrote:
The Long Island Coalition for Immigration Control and Enforcement applaudes the Legislature for passing the E-Verify bill and the bill on checking status of all probationers.
This is one more step in the right direction in the fight against illegal immigration.
Get involved.
www.numbersusa.com
www.patriotsborderalliance.com
Right. And, I'm sure there are just thousands of American citizens just waiting to take the jobs that they are doing now, mowing lawns, washing dishes, picking fruits and vegetables, etc. Immigration needs to be reformed so that people can come here legally to do the work we need them to do. It's impossible now because the immigration quotas are unrealistically low. Until the federal government reforms it out of date immigration laws and procedures nothing will change for the better. Nothing...
who pays

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#7 Jun 11, 2008
If the pandering candidates in both political parties think the illegal alien issue is going away, they do not understand the resentment the public holds towards useless politicians who do not enforce our laws and cost the taxpayers countless billions in an economy going down the tubes. With Schumer and Clinton representing New York, there is no chance illegal immigration will confronted except like Suffolk at the local level. Remember the panderers in November.
Jane from Babylon

Corning, NY

#8 Jun 11, 2008
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>Right. And, I'm sure there are just thousands of American citizens just waiting to take the jobs that they are doing now, mowing lawns, washing dishes, picking fruits and vegetables, etc. Immigration needs to be reformed so that people can come here legally to do the work we need them to do. It's impossible now because the immigration quotas are unrealistically low. Until the federal government reforms it out of date immigration laws and procedures nothing will change for the better. Nothing...
a major change to an outdated concept would be repealing the right of citizenship just by being born here. we are the only country that allows that. no more anchor babies--especially for lawbreakers! and we need to be careful that no semblance of the Dream Act is ever passed--another act of shamnesty!

p.s. i'll pay more for food and services if it means paying living wages to U.S. citizens, rather than cheaper prices with the unlimited social services and education entitlements provided to illegals.
American Woman

West Sayville, NY

#9 Jun 11, 2008
My husband was a landscaper. He employed college students and gave them a nice wage and taught them a trade, besides. Then the illegals came and he was no longer able to compete with companies that hired them. The college students lost their jobs and he went out of business. He served his country as a Marine. This country sucks!
Frank

Bronx, NY

#10 Jun 11, 2008
Jane from Babylon wrote:
<quoted text>a major change to an outdated concept would be repealing the right of citizenship just by being born here. we are the only country that allows that. no more anchor babies--especially for lawbreakers! and we need to be careful that no semblance of the Dream Act is ever passed--another act of shamnesty!
p.s. i'll pay more for food and services if it means paying living wages to U.S. citizens, rather than cheaper prices with the unlimited social services and education entitlements provided to illegals.
You are assuming there are thousands of American citizens ready to do these kinds of jobs for higher wages. There aren't at any price. That's why this country has to import foreign workers. That's why it always has had to do that. That's why you and I are here now writing to each other about immigration...because our ancestors came here to do the work that there was no one else available to do!
LBS

Commack, NY

#11 Jun 11, 2008
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>Right. And, I'm sure there are just thousands of American citizens just waiting to take the jobs that they are doing now, mowing lawns, washing dishes, picking fruits and vegetables, etc. Immigration needs to be reformed so that people can come here legally to do the work we need them to do. It's impossible now because the immigration quotas are unrealistically low. Until the federal government reforms it out of date immigration laws and procedures nothing will change for the better. Nothing...
There are thousands of High school and college students who would gladly do many of these jobs, the only difference is that they are not willing to stand on street corners in large illegal gatherings to wait for some contractor to pick them up. When I was young, many teenagers and young adults did these jobs.Illegal immigration is just that, Illegal!! and they are taking jobs away from Americans.
PJR

United States

#12 Jun 11, 2008
Frank wrote:
I am so sick of this same old song and dance!! YES!! there are thousands of legal citizens who would happily do these jobs if the business owners (or homeowners) were willing to pay a decent wage.

If the illegals who do the work now had to pay income tax, property tax and school tax they wouldn't do the work for the pay being offered either.
Happy Evans

AOL

#13 Jun 11, 2008
F*ck all you people, Guess who will be doing all my digging this summer.
PJR

United States

#14 Jun 11, 2008
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>You are assuming there are thousands of American citizens ready to do these kinds of jobs for higher wages. There aren't at any price. That's why this country has to import foreign workers. That's why it always has had to do that. That's why you and I are here now writing to each other about immigration...because our ancestors came here to do the work that there was no one else available to do!
But our ancestors came here to do the work and support the country by paying their fair share of taxes. They came here for the "American Dream" and many immigrants still do. Yes the immigration laws are archaic; yes it takes months or even years to become a citizen. But the point is thousand of people to it every day, so why should we look the other way when someone decides they don't want to go through the process.
Kokomo Joe

United States

#15 Jun 11, 2008
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>You are assuming there are thousands of American citizens ready to do these kinds of jobs for higher wages. There aren't at any price. That's why this country has to import foreign workers. That's why it always has had to do that. That's why you and I are here now writing to each other about immigration...because our ancestors came here to do the work that there was no one else available to do!
Come on, that's a bunch of crap! There is less work for these people because of lack of funds from the folks who use their service. Only the wealthy aren't feeling the current sting. Then what do you do with these folks? Into the Social Services System. I'm really tired of hearing the "well, you're too lazy you Americans". And we have to go through all that trouble getting here to clean up after you! If you believe that crap, I feel sorry for you! Stay home, and come here and spend your money on vacations, like normal folk!
jake

Baldwin, NY

#16 Jun 11, 2008
Frank wrote:
Please keep in mind the Nation does NOT need twenty million uneducated , uninsured , unskilled , non english speaking people. They drain the Nation of it's services and destroys the quality of life in many communities . This Nation takes in more immigrants each year than any other nation . Just because you hopped the fence and cut the line ,it entitles you to nothing . And there are already 10 guest worker programs ! And another bit of info is a great deal of them are in construction industry driving down wages like they did in the meat packing industry , Remember Immigration should be GOOD for the nation , 20 million Illegals demanding they have rights here isn't good !!!!
jake

Baldwin, NY

#17 Jun 11, 2008
who pays wrote:
If the pandering candidates in both political parties think the illegal alien issue is going away, they do not understand the resentment the public holds towards useless politicians who do not enforce our laws and cost the taxpayers countless billions in an economy going down the tubes. With Schumer and Clinton representing New York, there is no chance illegal immigration will confronted except like Suffolk at the local level. Remember the panderers in November.
You forgot to mention ALL the L.I. Congressmen who voted for AMNESTY and EVERY other Illegal Alien Support and are blocking the SAVE ACT . Of course you have to exclude Congressman Pete King , He's been on the side of Americans since this began , We need to get rid of the rest of the padering congressmen and send a clear message to our pro Amnesty presidential canadites !!!
bill

Baldwin, NY

#18 Jun 11, 2008
Who were the two who were against the Probation dept. checking the status of criminials ??? Montano and Fisher , I'd guess ! Where do they get the nerve ??? How on earth could you vote against that ????? First they want to protect Illegals , now they want to protect Illegal crimminials!!
LICICE

Rockaway, NJ

#19 Jun 11, 2008
Frank wrote:
You are not up on current events are you. Even some newspapers are doing stories of how tough it is for teenagers, especially black teenagers, to get a summer job right now. We get calls from all over NY state from people telling us how their kids can't find a summer job on a farm upstate or at a fast food restaurant. Your arguement does not hold water.
Spuds

Wichita, KS

#20 Jun 11, 2008
This legislation needs to continue until we have control of the illegal immigrant population on a local basis, cause right now it is so way out of control, it's not funny.

It's been proven elsewhere in the US, enforce employment laws and they will leave on their own. No jobs, No Money, No Housing!

Remember how your leaders voted in November!

C-ya

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Sun Bruser 2,637
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Jun 24 joespizza 1,416
News Police raid Napper Tandy's pub in Miller Place (Jun '07) Jun 23 Facepunch Grandpa 130
Brentwood,Long Island, New York (Apr '06) Jun 23 Hoffman68 1,162
News E. Islip named in list of top suburbs (May '07) Jun 23 look into it 261
News Bay Shore Marina parking meters begin operation... Jun 23 look into it 3
all drownings (Jun '07) Jun 22 Lorraine short 24
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nesconset Mortgages