Group: Public homeless shelter not ne...

Group: Public homeless shelter not needed

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 20, 2007, titled Group: Public homeless shelter not needed. In it, Newsday reports that:

A group representing private homeless shelter owners urged Suffolk to dump plans to build a $20.7-million homeless shelter it dubbed "a New York City model," claiming it no longer is needed because the number ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

The Long Island Party

Jersey City, NJ

#1 Apr 20, 2007
Spend, spend, spend, spend, spend...

http://thelongislandparty.blogspot.com/
tosh

New Hyde Park, NY

#2 Apr 20, 2007
i agree..
Homeless

Lincoln Park, NJ

#3 Apr 20, 2007
I worked at Pax Christie in Port Jefferson a few years ago. I can tell you that the center was constantly at full capacity, putting pressure on a limited staff. The other "private" facilities in LI were known to be poorly run, infested with crime, and generally a dangerous place to be. This claim that there is adequate housing is totally based on the self interests of those who reap huge amounts of money from the state for housing the poor.
first amendment

Highland Lakes, NJ

#4 Apr 20, 2007
What ever happened to Pilgram State?
I remember back in the '60's when the farm was running, giving the highest functioning residents a job with purpose. Then it was found to work the farm that helped support the entire population.
Then in the'70's they closed the entire place down and "dumped" the residents in places like the Oconie(sp?)Hotel on Main Street Bay Shore etc..etc... again unconstitutional to house mentally challenged citizens in a place where at least they had three squares and a roof over their heads.
Now $20 mil for a new homeless shelter? Did they tear the buildings down? I heard part was now Suffolk Community College; but it was a huge place and I bet a non profit could refurbish one of the buildings for less then that $20mil!
Just thinking
first amendment

Highland Lakes, NJ

#5 Apr 20, 2007
CORRECTION POST #4
FIRST PARAGRAPH.....
......Then it was found to be Unconstitutional to expect those residents to work the farm.....
NIMBY Island

Newtown, CT

#6 Apr 20, 2007
If you build it, they will come!
Barry Fleckmann

Toms River, NJ

#7 Apr 20, 2007
In this country, we treat animals (dogs & cats) better than we treat people. I spent last night, in the cold, in an abandoned old driving range.
I'm 57 years old, college-educated and a U.S. military veteran. Oh, yeah, I have no drug or alcohol problem, and no criminal record. Social Services is a JOKE! So, HOW do I LIKE being homeless? When it's good, it's GOOD, but when it's bad, it's H-O-R-R-I-B-I-L-E! The last two weeks (frigid, cold air from Canada, then the nor'easter) were especially tough. Being homeless is like being buried alive. It's a nightmare that you never wake up from. When you're homeless, you're the walking dead. I don't wish THIS life on anyone! You people who live in your McMansions, and drive your Hummers,
ENJOY what you have, because it's NOT guaranteed,
anymore. Not in this country. I'm sure you're wondering if THIS comment is genuine, and HOW is it that I'm able to transmit it over the Internet.
I'm sitting in the library of a community college (the one I graduated from), using their FREE computer system. I read the newspapers, here, as well. I keep myself clean, I don't stink. The kids are nice, well-behaved. Nobody's shot up the place, yet. I'm hopeful things will get better in my case. That's all. THAT'S my two cents on the matter. By the way, two cents is ALL I have to my name, at the moment.
Common Sense

Pearl River, NY

#8 Apr 20, 2007
Barry... sorry to hear about your current situation... but here's a thought....Dogs and cats don't have the power to make choices that place them in a bad situation. We've domesticated them and as such they are unable to provide for themselves in the wind. People do have the power to provide for themselves.

I'd love to hear HOW you found yourself in your current situation. You're obviously intelligent... so how have you found yourself on the street? And why no family or friends that can help? Life is a series of choices... and when you make bad choices you HAVE to have a bad outcome... otherwise everyone makes them!
FormallyDownTheB lock

New Berlin, NY

#9 Apr 20, 2007
Barry, my prayers are with you, that our Lord and Savior gives you Peace, Protection and Comfort. I can relate to what your going through. Others can't see past the end of their nose because they have never been where you are. You are right let them enjoy what they have because nothing is guarenteed. Barry get down on your knees and confess all your sin to Our Lord and Savior then ask Him to come into your life. Things will change. I'll pray for you too......
NIMBY Island

Newtown, CT

#10 Apr 21, 2007
If you build them, they will become homeless.
Barry Fleckmann

Lakewood, NJ

#11 Apr 21, 2007
Common Sense wrote:
Barry... sorry to hear about your current situation... but here's a thought....Dogs and cats don't have the power to make choices that place them in a bad situation. We've domesticated them and as such they are unable to provide for themselves in the wind. People do have the power to provide for themselves.
I'd love to hear HOW you found yourself in your current situation. You're obviously intelligent... so how have you found yourself on the street? And why no family or friends that can help? Life is a series of choices... and when you make bad choices you HAVE to have a bad outcome... otherwise everyone makes them!
Thanks for your compassion. Thanks to the other posters, too. However, unlike Alec Baldwin, I'd prefer NOT to air my dirty linen in public. I was a patient, last year, at two Veteran's hospitals; I was being treated for depression, and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). Unfortunately, the Washington Post was RIGHT about veteran's hospitals (their story was on Walter Reed Army Hospital); there's a LOT of administrative and bureaucratic nonsense that goes on. It''s EASY to slip through the cracks at one of THOSE facilities. So, on December 28, 2006, I LEFT. I put one foot in front of the other, and I've been going, ever since. As for my family; they've basically pushed me under the bus. You see, with them, if they don't see a wound, or a scar, or a bruise, or a cut, then WHAT'S the problem? There's a LOT more to my story, but as I said, earlier, I don't want to be like Alec Baldwin.
Again, THANKS to ALL who posted wishing me well. The weather is nice, and THAT (believe me!) makes ALL the difference in the world!
My opinion

Middle Island, NY

#12 Apr 21, 2007
There are still many, many homeless people in Suffolk. Look in the poorer areas. Don't these areas count too? You may not see them but they struggle to get by in the woods, behind shopping areas and the like. These folks need compassion. It could happen to anyone.
Gary Carson

Cushing, OK

#13 Apr 21, 2007
Are these small shelters owned by the city? By various charities? Or by for profit organizations that contract with the city? It's just not clear and the story makes no sense without making that clear.
href=" http://americantradition.blogspot.com/2007/04...
Barry Fleckmann

Lakewood, NJ

#14 Apr 21, 2007
My opinion wrote:
There are still many, many homeless people in Suffolk. Look in the poorer areas. Don't these areas count too? You may not see them but they struggle to get by in the woods, behind shopping areas and the like. These folks need compassion. It could happen to anyone.
"These folks need compassion. It could happen to anyone." NEVER, NEVER, NEVER in my wildest NIGHTMARES did I EVER think that homelessness would happen to me. It did. It crept up, tapped me on the shoulder like a children's game of "tag," and then I became "it." Yeah, a LOT of it was MY fault.
Instead of sticking money in the back like (ahem!) society tells us we SHOULD do, I spent mine. On wine, women and song. Also, sports' cars. Computers, DVD's, etc., etc., etc. Like Mad magazines, Alfred E. Neumann, I adopted a "what, me worry?" attitude. After all, I had a good job working for a Fortune 500 company. Then came Middle Age. Then came the lay-offs. Downsizing. I went from one job to another, starting up all over again from the bottom. Then, after the last one, I failed to answer the bell. I just gave up. Like I said in my earlier post, today is a NICE day, and THAT makes ALL the difference in the world. Again, THANKS for ALL your kind thoughts.(And prayers, too)
Jenae

Smithtown, NY

#15 Apr 21, 2007
Gary Carson wrote:
Are these small shelters owned by the city? By various charities? Or by for profit organizations that contract with the city? It's just not clear and the story makes no sense without making that clear.
href=" http://americantradition.blogspot.com/2007/04...
These smaller shelters are run by agencies that contract with the County. If this large shelter, similar to HELP suffolk gets built, these agencies will lose their contacts and lots of dollars. Why do you think they're complaining? Just ask the question, which type shelter is more cost effective to the County. The answer should be that it is much less expensive to have the large shelter replace the smaller ones. I think Levy will do the right thing to save tax dollars. Let's see.
summerwind

Saint Petersburg, FL

#16 Apr 21, 2007
I work with the homeless and the majority of them really want help. I remember one say to me I am not a bad person I'm just homeless. I think every one should spend some time volunteering and see how good we really have it. With the price of housing going sky high where I am {as with long island] It is very hard for them to find affordable and safe housing. Some just need help with security and deposit. They have jobs they just need a little help. Good luck and God Bless you, Barry Fleckman I hope you find the help you need.
Manny

Smithtown, NY

#17 Apr 21, 2007
The County Legislature and County Executive has approved the development of this project for 3 years. The County has promised the Bellport community that they would not have the only large homeless shelter, that another would be built elsewhere in the County. Now the small shelter agencies are in a panic because they stand to lose buisness, and the Legislators are running scared. Just announce the location of the new shelter and 15 Legislators will be happy that it's not in their district, and one will be upset.
Barry Fleckmann

Lakewood, NJ

#18 Apr 23, 2007
summerwind wrote:
I work with the homeless and the majority of them really want help. I remember one say to me I am not a bad person I'm just homeless. I think every one should spend some time volunteering and see how good we really have it. With the price of housing going sky high where I am {as with long island] It is very hard for them to find affordable and safe housing. Some just need help with security and deposit. They have jobs they just need a little help. Good luck and God Bless you, Barry Fleckman I hope you find the help you need.
It's funny. I started out in St. Petersburg Beach, Florida, in August of 2005. It's a LONG story, I mean. I ended up in St. Petersburg Beach, in August, 2005, that is. The heat index was 114 degrees, every day! I took the last of my money, hopped aboard a Greyhound bus, and returned home to "Joisey." I should've STAYED, there! Thanks for the good thoughts!
barbara

AOL

#19 May 11, 2007
Barry, i can only imagine what you are going thru. i am about to be there myself next week. i am really afraid what to expect when i go to a shelter, i have heard some pretty horrible stories, but i guess i will find out soon enough.

i too did exactly what you did. i was sitting on top of the world one year ago and today i am flat broke and i am being evicted from my apt next week. i will be thinking of you next week as i enter a shelter for the first time in my life. and yes your right social services is a joke. good luck to you
Victoria Stong -Activist

United States

#20 Jul 17, 2008
barbara wrote:
Barry, i can only imagine what you are going thru. i am about to be there myself next week. i am really afraid what to expect when i go to a shelter, i have heard some pretty horrible stories, but i guess i will find out soon enough.
i too did exactly what you did. i was sitting on top of the world one year ago and today i am flat broke and i am being evicted from my apt next week. i will be thinking of you next week as i enter a shelter for the first time in my life. and yes your right social services is a joke. good luck to you
MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD..........HOMELESSNESS IS THE WORST! Homelessness leaves you open to being a crime victim in every way. As far at the incompetant and evil-spirited workers that I myself had to deal with years ago at the Long Island City Social Services Office..........they think it's THEIR money and don't want to give you anything you're entitled to. Social Services workers on the most part have little respect for those of us struggling and their favorite word is "NO!". Well..........do what I do. Don't argue and just call for a Fair Hearing immediately! 9 out of 10 times Welfare recipients win their cases because of Social Services/Welfare Workers who deviate and otherwise lie so they don't have to do much work or just because they are prejudiced, racist and/or uneducated about the issues those of us in poverty have to endure. Don't let them put you down. You are worthy of getting essential and other important services just like everyone else. Those people that are doing good or great financially can't and/or refuse to see that when small issues aren't addressed professionally, appropriately and with RESPECT..........it just creates bigger problems leading to the loss of the little money you DO have. People just don't get it. They don't realize that those of us, like me, who are neglected of services when we do reach out end up being deprived of a decent life all too often. Those in better situations and quality of life don't know what it's like to be hungry and barely functioning while trying to build our lives so we can be better contributors to our Families, Communities and the great United States. It's a shame that many of us are silenced by poverty as we can barely exist through no fault of our own in most situations. EVEN THOSE THAT HAVE COMMITTED CRIMES HAVE REACHED OUT FOR HELP AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER AND HAVE BEEN DENIED ENTITLED SERVICES DUE TO PREJUDICE, RACISM OR PERSONAL AGENDA'S ETC.. I WOULD NEVER CONDONE VIOLENCE OR OTHER CRIME. I'M JUST SAYING PEOPLE NEED TO BE RESPECTFUL, PROFESSIONAL, HELPFUL AND KIND AND DO THEIR JOBS IF THEY WANT L E S S NEGATIVITY IN THEIR COMMUNITIES. WHEN A PERSON CAN'T GET ESSENTIAL SERVICES IT COSTS THE UNITED STATES AND OTHER COUNTRIES A HECK OF A LOT MORE. IF NOTHING ELSE..........BRING BACK HUMANITY AND TREAT YOUR FELLOW HUMAN BEING, WHICH IS GOD'S CHILD TOO, THE WAY YOU OR YOUR FAMILY WANTS TO BE TREATED. RESPECT, DOING YOUR JOB AND SERVICE IS N O T A FAVOR!~~~~~~~Respectfully and Sincerely,
Ms. Victoria Mary Stong / Humanitarian, Peacemaker, 9/11 Family Member, 9/11 Volunteer 1st Responder & Volunteer Ground Zero Worker at Bldg.# 7 from 9/11-11/10/01, F.D.N.Y."Flag Lady",R&B/Soul/Pop/So ft Rock Singer,X Auxiliary Police Officer & X Choir Member for St.Patricks Cathedral & Civil Rights and Community Activist living in Long Island City, N.Y.-Well Seasoned!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 2 hr Bruser 2,760
News SCPD Video: Suspect Made Off With $2300 in iPho... Tue Kingriker 1
S Prestano Bakery Mon Luigi 9
Review: Fairharbor Owners (Feb '15) Sep 14 Former Resident 33
Ronkonkomo Sep 14 SmokinJoe 1
Farmingville, NY (Jul '10) Sep 14 SmokinJoe 37
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Sep 13 Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,483

Nesconset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance