Suffolk residents describe drug addic...

Suffolk residents describe drug addiction's impact

There are 78 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 7, 2008, titled Suffolk residents describe drug addiction's impact. In it, Newsday reports that:

The mother stood in front of a room filled with neighbors and told the story of her son's heroin addiction.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Tired of the nonsense

Jamaica, NY

#21 Nov 7, 2008
Miss Forrest Gump wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey dopey, how about the ADULTS that are addicted? How 'bout that?
Me dopey? Nah

If the parents are users then they are IDIOTS too!
Ryan

San Francisco, CA

#23 Nov 7, 2008
My Opinion wrote:
It is amazing that the drug use continues to rise in this day and age. Just a tip from a local resident, the police need to be aware of 2 places....Ronkonkoma near the middle school and colony park apts.>. there is a "suspicous" guy ( not kid) that has a huge tattoo on his neck and rides around ..looking. Also on Bohemia in the IGA?CVS shopping ctr. there is a Black man ( not a kid) that rides around on his bike that deals drugs..he rides around the entire shopping ctr.little creepy...i actually saw him hand off a bag w/ white stuff in it....where are the cops....no offense , you can see he doesnt belong to the neighborhood.....especially with his behavior ..always on pay phones and looking around......Keep your eyes open and be careful!
Nice now I know where to cop the goods. Thanks for the tip!!
high eddie

Patchogue, NY

#24 Nov 7, 2008
$10 for a bag; I've been paying $12 - what a rip-off ! I could have used the two dollars for an extra large tea with 32 sugars to keep my high going
Whaddya know

Medford, NY

#25 Nov 7, 2008
mee wrote:
This is so true. As an addict I will tell you it's everywhere on long island and out of control and meth isn't even here yet. The new wave of drug and users is going to knock you off your seat
Meth is here, and may get bigger, but it won't last or become an epidemic here. The other drugs and their respective cartels will make sure of that. The other drugs are more cost-effective as a business than meth, from production to transporting to sales, both wholesale and street-level.
DWW

New York, NY

#26 Nov 7, 2008
I go nose-to-nose with these drug dealers.... And they're coming after your kids."

Yeah, right... its the loser kids going to it. Drug dealers don't have to try to sell their product. You either want it or not. Peer pressure is BS too, it's a great excuse for parent who don't want the truth.
Young Hussein For The Win

United States

#27 Nov 7, 2008
listen, I smoke weed...everyday...I'm from ronkonkoma...weed is no worse than alchoal...actually its alot safer and leads maybe to one death per decade if that...I will say this...I lost alot of friends, due to this pill epidemic, oxycotin and other pain killers...people who were once good people, are now....utter losers...the only way they will get better is through rehab and or jail time... There is no reason to do anything besides drink beer or smoke weed, there really isn't...if you have to go beyond that, you have major problems
Tired of the nonsense

Jamaica, NY

#28 Nov 7, 2008
Young Hussein For The Win wrote:
listen, I smoke weed...everyday...I'm from ronkonkoma...weed is no worse than alchoal...actually its alot safer and leads maybe to one death per decade if that...I will say this...I lost alot of friends, due to this pill epidemic, oxycotin and other pain killers...people who were once good people, are now....utter losers...the only way they will get better is through rehab and or jail time... There is no reason to do anything besides drink beer or smoke weed, there really isn't...if you have to go beyond that, you have major problems
Shame!

"There is no reason to do anything besides drink beer or smoke weed, there really isn't...if you have to go beyond that, you have major problems"

You are an Idiot!
when civility fails

Safety Harbor, FL

#29 Nov 7, 2008
"This is a problem that is creeping into our communities, and we are concerned," said Suffolk Police Commissioner Richard Dormer

creeping?

United States

#30 Nov 7, 2008
Tired of the nonsense wrote:
<quoted text>
Shame!
"There is no reason to do anything besides drink beer or smoke weed, there really isn't...if you have to go beyond that, you have major problems"
You are an Idiot!
Why is it nonsense? I can handle myself a whole lot better when buzzed off weed then you could drunk off your ass

and thats a damn fact. While your slurring your words, hitting on fat girls at the bar that won't give you the time of day, I'm already done smoking, and have my reading glasess on getting myself into a good book.

Whats nonsense, is the uninformed like yourself, that actually think its safer to consume alchoal and liquor. Open your eyes and wake up.

United States

#31 Nov 7, 2008
when civility fails wrote:
"This is a problem that is creeping into our communities, and we are concerned," said Suffolk Police Commissioner Richard Dormer
creeping?
seriously, the problem with pills and oxycotin and all that have been heavy in those towns for a LONG time now, its about time they did something
Realist

Brooklyn, NY

#32 Nov 7, 2008
Open your eyes and look around the train stations. You'll see post high school kids hanging around. The ones with those far-away stares and slightly odd behavior have graduated from Oxycontin (expensive) to Heroin (cheap).
The school systems deny that it is happening at all.
My Opinion

AOL

#33 Nov 7, 2008
ReRe wrote:
My Opinion...What kind of car in Ronkonkoma? Any other details or places to look out for in this town? I have kids too. Too little to know about drugs, but its never too soon for parents to be informed of this info.
Believe it or not...I have only seen them on bicycles !! Scarey...they try to blend in like "regualr" people.
Miss C

Yonkers, NY

#35 Nov 7, 2008
Death Race wrote:
<quoted text>
Itís called being alert and attentive to whatís going on. Something of which you know noting about. You must have been in denial when you got hit with reality. Not everyone toddles around obliviously.
This article is about parents who are sharing their stories of everyday battles with their children in hopes of saving others, and you have the guts to degrade them? Yes, parents do need to be informed and do need to speak with their children about these drugs at an early age, but it doesn't stop there. Oxycodone, heroin - kids try these ONCE and are hooked. No matter what their parents have taught them, some (not all) will still try it anyway. And what about all the parents that do call the police and the police do NOTHING..we need to get these drugs out of our schools and communities. We need to keep informing parents with meetings such as the one written about in this article - we need to educate parents about the warning signs and where to get help. We need to push our police to do something about this, instead of covering it up so that it doesn't make our towns look "bad".
Tired of the nonsense

East Hampton, NY

#36 Nov 7, 2008
<quoted text>
Why is it nonsense? I can handle myself a whole lot better when buzzed off weed then you could drunk off your ****
and thats a damn fact. While your slurring your words, hitting on fat girls at the bar that won't give you the time of day, I'm already done smoking, and have my reading glasess on getting myself into a good book.
Whats nonsense, is the uninformed like yourself, that actually think its safer to consume alchoal and liquor. Open your eyes and wake up.
I smoked weed for years too, Drank for many many years. Had many good times and NEVER went after a fat girl. And you know you idiot, there is a time ti grow up and there are so many things to do than smoke and drink. Get your head out of your rectum and take a look around and see the world around you.

It's people like you that have small minds and think you know everything.

You can reply to this, but I'm done with you. I have too much respect for myself than stoop to a lower level just to reach you.

And by the way you must be f* u* c* k* e* d* up when you type. cause it's spelled ALCOHOL!

No go sit down you spelled it wrong.
NOSE CANDY

White Plains, NY

#37 Nov 7, 2008
Nose Candy is the best!!

Makes you feel 10 feet tall.

I would be doing blow right NOW if it were legal!!

With that white powder I can have a girl on her knees in one hour.
Tired of the nonsense

East Hampton, NY

#38 Nov 7, 2008
NOSE CANDY wrote:
Nose Candy is the best!!
Makes you feel 10 feet tall.
I would be doing blow right NOW if it were legal!!
With that white powder I can have a girl on her knees in one hour.
If it makes you feel 10 feet tall, then a 7 foot freak would be pleasing you. IDIOT

If you get caught the last position you would ever want to be in is " ON YOU KNEES"

Good Luck Idiot

Since: Jun 08

Brooklyn, NY

#39 Nov 7, 2008
Miss C wrote:
<quoted text>
This article is about parents who are sharing their stories of everyday battles with their children in hopes of saving others, and you have the guts to degrade them? Yes, parents do need to be informed and do need to speak with their children about these drugs at an early age, but it doesn't stop there. Oxycodone, heroin - kids try these ONCE and are hooked. No matter what their parents have taught them, some (not all) will still try it anyway. And what about all the parents that do call the police and the police do NOTHING..we need to get these drugs out of our schools and communities. We need to keep informing parents with meetings such as the one written about in this article - we need to educate parents about the warning signs and where to get help. We need to push our police to do something about this, instead of covering it up so that it doesn't make our towns look "bad".
If calling them blind and oblivious is degrading, then yes, I am. The speaking motherís own words were "You've got to get your head out of the sandĒ.
Doing a drug once does not cause addiction. The little idiots do it to the point of addiction because mom and dad are blind and let it happen.
What are the police to do anyway? They canít make an arrest unless someone is caught selling drugs or is in possession when stopped for something else. Donít expect them to do the parentís job.
If little Johnny is doing drugs, itís most likely because mommy and daddy werenít there enough in the first place and expected others to watch him and occupy his time.
You donít need to inform parents of meetings. By that time itís too late. Parents need to be alert and be parents, not friends. Wake up parents, itís Friday night and Junior is getting high.
DONT WASTE YOUR BREATH

Los Angeles, CA

#40 Nov 7, 2008
<quoted text>
Why is it nonsense? I can handle myself a whole lot better when buzzed off weed then you could drunk off your ****
Most people just don't get it. They will defend their right to drink but with no experience at all they condemn grass. You hear of grass as being a gateway drug. The real gateway drug is alcohol.
PAY ATTENTION

Torrington, CT

#41 Nov 8, 2008
Death Race wrote:
<quoted text>
If calling them blind and oblivious is degrading, then yes, I am. The speaking motherís own words were "You've got to get your head out of the sandĒ.
Doing a drug once does not cause addiction. The little idiots do it to the point of addiction because mom and dad are blind and let it happen.
What are the police to do anyway? They canít make an arrest unless someone is caught selling drugs or is in possession when stopped for something else. Donít expect them to do the parentís job.
If little Johnny is doing drugs, itís most likely because mommy and daddy werenít there enough in the first place and expected others to watch him and occupy his time.
You donít need to inform parents of meetings. By that time itís too late. Parents need to be alert and be parents, not friends. Wake up parents, itís Friday night and Junior is getting high.
You can't be serious to think that you can not become addicted to drugs after experimenting one time! You are obviously not a parent and therefore have no idea what it involves and how overwhelmingly difficult it is to monitor your child's every move. These parents are doing the best they know how against a losing battle. Educating one another on the warning signs and symptoms of drug use should be applauded, not condemned! Every ounce of knowledge and communication is useful in combating drug abuse in our neighborhoods. Children are just that - CHILDREN they do not LISTEN to their parents all the time - do you live under a rock? Life would be perfect if everyone did what they were told, but that's not reality. So until we all live somewhere over the rainbow with you - these parents are trying to prevent losing any more of their kids to drugs. Hopefully more towns wake up and do the same!

Since: Jun 08

Brooklyn, NY

#42 Nov 8, 2008
PAY ATTENTION wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be serious to think that you can not become addicted to drugs after experimenting one time! You are obviously not a parent and therefore have no idea what it involves and how overwhelmingly difficult it is to monitor your child's every move. These parents are doing the best they know how against a losing battle. Educating one another on the warning signs and symptoms of drug use should be applauded, not condemned! Every ounce of knowledge and communication is useful in combating drug abuse in our neighborhoods. Children are just that - CHILDREN they do not LISTEN to their parents all the time - do you live under a rock? Life would be perfect if everyone did what they were told, but that's not reality. So until we all live somewhere over the rainbow with you - these parents are trying to prevent losing any more of their kids to drugs. Hopefully more towns wake up and do the same!
Iíve had prescriptions for pain medication including most opiate based pain killers. When the pain is gone, I stop taking the pills. This is true with most people. A true addiction develops over time and with abuse. I strongly suggest you study biochemistry and learn what really happens to cause the addiction.
I agree that children donít listen and will sometimes do drugs to be combative. After some time of that, they will become addicted. Iím glad these parents are trying to do something, but they should have done more from the get go. No matter what the topic or what the outcome might be, it was always possible to do more. Dealing with a problem after itís onset is different than prevention.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 11 hr Bruser 2,819
The loud music is out control in Brentwood (Aug '14) Mon Delonte 11
Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma (Jul '09) Mon Jayar 127
News 1 pedestrian dead, another hurt in separate acc... Sun Douglas santafe 2
News 41 undocumented immigrants arrested in NY amid ... (Feb '17) Dec 10 Steve Levy 26
Moving To Patchogue ? (Oct '14) Dec 10 Keith Hackney 11
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Dec 9 Glory days 1,515

Nesconset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nesconset Mortgages