LI job growth slows to two-year low

Full story: Newsday

The struggling Long Island job market declined to a two-year low in April, raising local economists' concerns about whether the region has fallen into a recession.
Comments
21 - 36 of 36 Comments Last updated May 23, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2008

Ex Dix Hills wrote:
The only decent jobs on the 'island' with real benefits are those in the monopolies: teachers, police, fire, political hacks, politically connected groupies, etc. Private industry is always under great disadvantage and pressure to compete on the 'island' due to the high cost to underwrite this inefficient / corrupt infrastructure. It's not only the poor homeowner getting screwed paying high real estate taxes, they also 'pay' at the receiving end in the form of lower salaries. After all, it's all about the bottom line in business and a viable business can only disburse limited profits to either pay for the high cost of this infrastructure (ie the monopoly) or to pay the workers in the form of salaries / benefits./ dividends. Islanders, You must know that for years the 'island' has had lower relative salaries due the the high cost of doing business with this infrastructure tax rathole....like the proverbial 'sewer tax' that one pays for but gets nothing in return. Wonder why there is such a disparity in quality of life between the 'island' and say North Carolina? Just look at the difference in cost of government on business. Jobs in the South have much higher real-income (take home) relative to cost of living...much of this due to more efficient and honest government. Pay the piper or vote with feet.
I agree. Although I'm not sure about the honest government. I think they all are pretty underhanded...it's just a matter of degree.
WhiteMansThe Devil

Bedford Hills, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2008

But not all is doom and gloom. Dana Terzian, a direct-placement recruiter for Adecco, the staffing company which has is North American headquarters in Melville, said that college graduates seeking permanent jobs in accounting and sales are receiving multiple offers.

Hi Dana...so at least recruiters are doing well eh?...Just what we all need, more sales people and "bean counters"...College grads are going into sales?...what a waste....bull-sh-i-t-t-ing as a profession.
Ex Dix Hills

Monponsett, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2008

WhiteMansThe Devil wrote:
But not all is doom and gloom. Dana Terzian, a direct-placement recruiter for Adecco, the staffing company which has is North American headquarters in Melville, said that college graduates seeking permanent jobs in accounting and sales are receiving multiple offers.
Hi Dana...so at least recruiters are doing well eh?...Just what we all need, more sales people and "bean counters"...College grads are going into sales?...what a waste....bull-sh-i-t-t-ing as a profession.
Excellent point. And sales jobs are notoriusly unstable as you have no more security than your latest sale.
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2008

Cya wrote:
<quoted text>
You moron, I live on LI and work in the city, duhhhhhh!
Oh, I didn't realize that you wanted suicide by drowing. Sorry 'bout that.
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2008

Ex Dix Hills wrote:
The only decent jobs on the 'island' with real benefits are those in the monopolies: teachers, police, fire, political hacks, politically connected groupies, etc. Private industry is always under great disadvantage and pressure to compete on the 'island' due to the high cost to underwrite this inefficient / corrupt infrastructure. It's not only the poor homeowner getting screwed paying high real estate taxes, they also 'pay' at the receiving end in the form of lower salaries. After all, it's all about the bottom line in business and a viable business can only disburse limited profits to either pay for the high cost of this infrastructure (ie the monopoly) or to pay the workers in the form of salaries / benefits./ dividends. Islanders, You must know that for years the 'island' has had lower relative salaries due the the high cost of doing business with this infrastructure tax rathole....like the proverbial 'sewer tax' that one pays for but gets nothing in return. Wonder why there is such a disparity in quality of life between the 'island' and say North Carolina? Just look at the difference in cost of government on business. Jobs in the South have much higher real-income (take home) relative to cost of living...much of this due to more efficient and honest government. Pay the piper or vote with feet.
Hey, another ex Dix Hills-er here, in complete agreement. Flee the greedy unions and their partners, the politicians, before they take every penny you have.
Real Facts

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2008

Judged:

darker wrote:
Bush-Cheney negligence and support of a " nanny state for the rich" plus de-regulation of corporate profiteers is crashing USA and Long Island's economy.
republican lies, deceit, corruption by corporate profiteers, total corporate deregulation, "message control" by media manipulation will not help us out of this economic mess.
Don't let the same crowd stay in gov't office and bury us and our families, plus our USTroops in endless wars.
Ok, here we go with all the Bush Bashing.

May I ask a few questions?

Why do you blame Bush and Cheney, and no one else?

Why is a democratic congress not to blame? Both Nassau and Suffolk have democratic leaders, and now have for years. Why do you blame the President for the economy of Long Island, and not the local leaders?

You cannot sit here and blame President Bush because people did not read the fine print or their mortgage, or they chose to purchase a vehicle that gets less than 20 MPG. President Bush has no control over what the MTA charges for fares and tolls, nor does he control the property tax or local government pension plans for people in New York. He has no say in the fact that Nassau has 34 school superintendents, or in a state system that lets someone collect two checks by just adding the word interim to their title.
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2008

Judged:

Real Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, here we go with all the Bush Bashing.
May I ask a few questions?
Why do you blame Bush and Cheney, and no one else?
Why is a democratic congress not to blame? Both Nassau and Suffolk have democratic leaders, and now have for years. Why do you blame the President for the economy of Long Island, and not the local leaders?
You cannot sit here and blame President Bush because people did not read the fine print or their mortgage, or they chose to purchase a vehicle that gets less than 20 MPG. President Bush has no control over what the MTA charges for fares and tolls, nor does he control the property tax or local government pension plans for people in New York. He has no say in the fact that Nassau has 34 school superintendents, or in a state system that lets someone collect two checks by just adding the word interim to their title.
The truly frightening thing is that people with these silly blame Bush for everything ideas will probably vote. I'm not a Bush fan, but he is not the cause of every bad thing from my toothache to the increased price of gasoline.
Real Facts

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
The truly frightening thing is that people with these silly blame Bush for everything ideas will probably vote. I'm not a Bush fan, but he is not the cause of every bad thing from my toothache to the increased price of gasoline.
Very true. The president has indeed made mistakes, and I certainly do not agree with all of his policies, but I do not think that we can blame him for this entire situation.

Senator Clinton stated the other day that “We’re more dependent on foreign oil today than we were on 9/11. And I’m a senator from New York, so I take that very personally. Because you’ll remember most of those hijackers were from where? Saudi Arabia, right? So here we are - more dependent. We’ve done nothing while George Bush has been president!”

I would like to point out that, Ms. Clinton has been the Senator from New York the entire time that Bush has been President. In the past eight years, I have not heard anything from her about gas prices. Even Schumer could at least say that he has been pushing for more mass transit. Nothing, yet now she is blaming Bush, and people are jumping on the band wagon.

Further, she complains that we use more oil today, yet her plan is to introduce a tax holiday. With prices high, at least now people are indeed using less. Reducing the tax will lower the price, and cause people tio use more, which is exactly what she is blaming the president for.
Roger

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

Ex Dix Hills wrote:
Great post! You left out one thing though..... Long Islanders just voted yesterday to RAISE their taxes even higher! LMAO! Somebody should send the school boards a copy of Aesop's fable about the Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs.

Replete with politicians and union hacks that believe the only road to prosperity is via higher and higher taxes, they've managed to convince all the soccer moms with thier enormous gas guzzling SUV's that the only way to provide a decent education for the kids is to vote YES every year (you know who I mean... the very same one's you see in the supermarket paying for their freakin groceries with credit cards). LMFAO!
Roger

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

BTW, my friend's son just entered his sophomore year in a private college and he pays LESS than the average cost for elementary and high schoolers on LI. Go figure. LMAO! The union rats are real busy now.... it's so hard for them to concentrate on 2 things at once, to wit, figuring out new ways to spend their 5 - 7% raises or thinking about all the upcoming long afternoons spent at the beach. Wow, tough decision. LMFAO!
Real Facts

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

Roger wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post! You left out one thing though..... Long Islanders just voted yesterday to RAISE their taxes even higher! LMAO! Somebody should send the school boards a copy of Aesop's fable about the Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs.
Replete with politicians and union hacks that believe the only road to prosperity is via higher and higher taxes, they've managed to convince all the soccer moms with thier enormous gas guzzling SUV's that the only way to provide a decent education for the kids is to vote YES every year (you know who I mean... the very same one's you see in the supermarket paying for their freakin groceries with credit cards). LMFAO!
The problem is, Long Islanders really don’t have a choice.

Vote yes, and your taxes go up 5%. Vote no, they cancel all sports and all boy scout meetings. How much does it cost the school to let the Boy Scouts have a meeting? They cancel the 6th grade trip, yet it turns out that parents actually pay for the trip anyway. So, how much does this trip really cost the school?

The fact is, the difference is minimal. The superintendent already has a signed contract, as does the teachers union. Nothing the public can do about those costs. Same with the janitor’s, and every other major expense the school district has.

My daughter came home, and explained all the reasons why we should vote “Yes” last night. I would have preferred that they teach algebra yesterday, and not the list of cancelled activities.

So, you vote no, and your taxes only go up 3%.

Kobashi Maru
Real Facts

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

Roger wrote:
BTW, my friend's son just entered his sophomore year in a private college and he pays LESS than the average cost for elementary and high schoolers on LI. Go figure. LMAO! The union rats are real busy now.... it's so hard for them to concentrate on 2 things at once, to wit, figuring out new ways to spend their 5 - 7% raises or thinking about all the upcoming long afternoons spent at the beach. Wow, tough decision. LMFAO!
I read an opinion piece in Newsday yesterday, which basically said that the system that allows Superintendents and others to collect a pension while collect a paycheck has already been fixed.

Basically that the state has already updated the pension program four times and that these few people are holdovers from a pension plan that we designed over 40 years ago. They further state that Long Island should have the possibility of hiring an experienced educator at times for short periods of time, as these interim superintendents are.

I guess I can agree with that.

However, I still cannot get over the fact that there is exactly one Superintendent for the Fairfax County, School System in Virginia that makes $250,000 a year. Yet here in Nassau, we need 34.

Perhaps the pension systems is not as bad as we think, we just have way to many people in it.
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2008

Real Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
I read an opinion piece in Newsday yesterday, which basically said that the system that allows Superintendents and others to collect a pension while collect a paycheck has already been fixed.
Basically that the state has already updated the pension program four times and that these few people are holdovers from a pension plan that we designed over 40 years ago. They further state that Long Island should have the possibility of hiring an experienced educator at times for short periods of time, as these interim superintendents are.
I guess I can agree with that.
However, I still cannot get over the fact that there is exactly one Superintendent for the Fairfax County, School System in Virginia that makes $250,000 a year. Yet here in Nassau, we need 34.
Perhaps the pension systems is not as bad as we think, we just have way to many people in it.
I believe it is both. Too many, and too rich salary and benefits. Which is why NY has the highest per capita state and local tax burden in the country. And why businesses are fleeing, will not locate there, and why NY is one of the few states where population is not growing, and by some measures actually declining.

Sinking ship -- courtesy of elitist politicians (Bloomberg), those beholden to Union Monkeys (every single one of them, including Joe Bruno) and their union monkey masters.

“2014 ! The Bar is Open !”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2008

how can this be ? where all those jobs Senator Clinton promised when she was running for re-election ?
Real Facts

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2008

Guinness Drinker wrote:
how can this be ? where all those jobs Senator Clinton promised when she was running for re-election ?
You don't really want me to go there, do you?

“2014 ! The Bar is Open !”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2008

Real Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't really want me to go there, do you?
by all means; vent if you have to

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 17 min CALYPS017 117,773
Suffolk Community College (Jul '13) 19 hr Jayar 5
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Wed Bruser 2,282
everett emery house and post office -- 1932 (Oct '10) Tue Ghettogasmansrmc 3
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Tue College Professor 6,391
Giant Garage Sale Tue Jose Revira 19
Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma (Jul '09) Mon okeefe_1960 86

Search the Nesconset Forum:
•••

Nesconset News Video

•••
•••

Nesconset Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Nesconset People Search