LI job growth slows to two-year low

LI job growth slows to two-year low

There are 36 comments on the Newsday story from May 15, 2008, titled LI job growth slows to two-year low. In it, Newsday reports that:

The struggling Long Island job market declined to a two-year low in April, raising local economists' concerns about whether the region has fallen into a recession.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JD in NC

Alderson, WV

#1 May 16, 2008
Oh Michael!!! Where are yooooooo?

Lets hear your drivel about how wonderful things are...
mlk

AOL

#2 May 16, 2008
We need a guest worker program so that we can bring in more immigrants to fill our frowing economy. We bring in 2 million a year legally even though we are losing jobs. Comprehensive immigration reform is a must for all 3 canidates running for president. Shut up, pay your taxes and accept lower wages.
JaxGirl821

Stony Brook, NY

#3 May 16, 2008
The other crappy thing is the jobs that are out there don't pay enough so you can actually live here! Not to mention no health benefits or retirement.
JD in NC

Alderson, WV

#5 May 16, 2008
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm here and I'm fine thanks, besides the constent itching and rash. It'll go away soon I hope. We took a few days off to lay low, have a few cocktails if you know what I mean.. other than that it's buisness as usual here.
I'm just really sick and tired of the people here working 4 day work weeks. What is that? So it's slow??
finish out the wek you know?
Anyway, I have some cock to suck so I must be going.
I only hope my breath doesn't smell like roast beef when i return.
Best,
Michael
You aren't the Michael to whom I am referring. Those who know, understand exactly who I mean, but thanks for filling me in on your days events. Enjoy your weekend.
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Needham, MA

#6 May 16, 2008
JD in NC wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't the Michael to whom I am referring. Those who know, understand exactly who I mean, but thanks for filling me in on your days events. Enjoy your weekend.
The "upper echelon" has likely flown out to the East End by helicopter and will be out of pocket doing economic and demographic research, until Monday. ;-)
Leave LI

Medford, NY

#7 May 16, 2008
JD in NC wrote:
<quoted text>
I know who you are referring to. He will pipe in soon I am sure.
JD in NC

Alderson, WV

#8 May 16, 2008
OMG you guys!! Toooooo funny!!
Oscar Madison

Huntsville, AL

#9 May 16, 2008
Don't worry Long Island; all those divorced daddies are working their butts off in NYC while the ex-wives live in luxury on Hillary's fantasy island!!!!!
Go phoughovfff all you NY judges and s-bag lawyers!!!!!
Cya

Warren, NJ

#10 May 16, 2008
who cares? LI should just sink into the Atlantic!!!!!!
Real Facts

New York, NY

#11 May 16, 2008
Perhaps more people are going to NYC for jobs so they can take mass transit.

No one can afford to drive to work anymore...
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Needham, MA

#12 May 16, 2008
Cya wrote:
who cares? LI should just sink into the Atlantic!!!!!!
Then you'd be stuck in your smelly, hot city on summer weekends, laying on some blanket on the lawn in central park with other pasty-white NYC dregs, instead of enjoying some of the best beaches in the country.
el barto

Highland, NY

#13 May 16, 2008
Real Facts wrote:
Perhaps more people are going to NYC for jobs so they can take mass transit.
No one can afford to drive to work anymore...
most LI salaries are abominably low. as an example,all the IT people i know who work in manhattan make $75-$100k a year. On LI theyd be lucky to make 50K if that.

the vast majority of jobs on LI DONT pay a liveable wage.Theres no industry here-its all services.How many of them stay in business beats me. Lets say I own a home-even in a good economy how often am I going to redo the roof,windows,etc? maybe once every 10 years.

I was talking to a headhunter the other day and he was brutually honest.He said that as long as most LI employers have kids and minorities that are willing to work for no $$ as long as they have access to that employee pool,then nothing will change.:(
The Pragmatist

Palm Harbor, FL

#14 May 16, 2008
if you pay attention to the numbers game..."Long Island's unemployment rose to 3.9 percent in April, compared with 3.3 percent a year ago. But that rate moderated from the 12-month period ended in March, when unemployment rose to 4.5 percent." it doesnt include those, whose unemployment benefits ended and still dont have jobs. compare those numbers to the job growth report.
paulson says-financial markets are "considerably calmer"
what about merrill's bad loans, BofA not going through with the countrywide deal, goldman sachs...
its the calm before the storm.
right now markets are up because investors feel the fed will bail out any company in trouble.ie:bear sterns, so markets rally on speculation of no bottom. its insane, you invest now, go ahead, I dare you.

as the dollar continues to fall the fed will have no choice but to raise intrest rates. further drowning sub prime holders deeper in debt. The dollar is more important then the people. right now the fed is trying to save the people, when its to save the dollar all hell will break loose.
Cya

New York, NY

#15 May 16, 2008
Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you'd be stuck in your smelly, hot city on summer weekends, laying on some blanket on the lawn in central park with other pasty-white NYC dregs, instead of enjoying some of the best beaches in the country.
You moron, I live on LI and work in the city, duhhhhhh!
Cya

New York, NY

#16 May 16, 2008
Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
you must be one of those idiots that never leaves his block. the LIRR exist for the purpose of commuting out of LI. Not everyone on LI stays there ALLLLLLLLL day. You must be from Mastic, hahaha
JD in NC

Alderson, WV

#17 May 16, 2008
Cya wrote:
<quoted text>
You moron, I live on LI and work in the city, duhhhhhh!
...and yet you want the Island to sink into the Atlantic?

I think you're the moron.
darker

Bronx, NY

#18 May 16, 2008
Bush-Cheney negligence and support of a " nanny state for the rich" plus de-regulation of corporate profiteers is crashing USA and Long Island's economy.

republican lies, deceit, corruption by corporate profiteers, total corporate deregulation, "message control" by media manipulation will not help us out of this economic mess.

Don't let the same crowd stay in gov't office and bury us and our families, plus our USTroops in endless wars.
CIA

Montague, NJ

#19 May 16, 2008
It's ALREADY FINISHED! They can always in-source out of your high paying job via H-1B or out-source out of your high paying job thru off-shoring. Your $100+/hr (well, after paying all the fed, local and school taxes, should be $35+/hr to be exact) just way too high when comparing with those 5+/hr H-1B and off-shoring pay. God Bless America!
bob

Savannah, GA

#20 May 17, 2008
OH Michael Upper Echelon where are you.... Show us some more stats on how great your island is.... We love to read them. HA HA HA
Ex Dix Hills

Rochester, MA

#21 May 18, 2008
The only decent jobs on the 'island' with real benefits are those in the monopolies: teachers, police, fire, political hacks, politically connected groupies, etc. Private industry is always under great disadvantage and pressure to compete on the 'island' due to the high cost to underwrite this inefficient / corrupt infrastructure. It's not only the poor homeowner getting screwed paying high real estate taxes, they also 'pay' at the receiving end in the form of lower salaries. After all, it's all about the bottom line in business and a viable business can only disburse limited profits to either pay for the high cost of this infrastructure (ie the monopoly) or to pay the workers in the form of salaries / benefits./ dividends. Islanders, You must know that for years the 'island' has had lower relative salaries due the the high cost of doing business with this infrastructure tax rathole....like the proverbial 'sewer tax' that one pays for but gets nothing in return. Wonder why there is such a disparity in quality of life between the 'island' and say North Carolina? Just look at the difference in cost of government on business. Jobs in the South have much higher real-income (take home) relative to cost of living...much of this due to more efficient and honest government. Pay the piper or vote with feet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nesconset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Farmingville, NY (Jul '10) 20 hr SmokinJoe 38
attn Adoptees and Birthparents & Siblings Reunite! (Jan '12) Jan 21 joan 38
News MTA: Woman punched at Central Islip station, fa... Jan 18 Doug Gee 2
News Cuomo proposes sweeping $11.5M plan to steer LI... Jan 16 time to sell 2
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Jan 16 Bruser 2,827
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Jan 14 Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,520
News Southampton Town Police reports (Feb '09) Jan 13 Mel Brooks 6

Nesconset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance