Time for HOG DAYS TO EVOLVE !

Posted in the Neponset Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Life Long Kewaneean

Downers Grove, IL

#1 Sep 6, 2012
Who else here thinks it's past time that the annual "hog days " event CHANGES AWAY from a carnival driven event ? My thought would be to ELIMINATE THE CARNIVAL ENTIRELY. Keep the Parade and pork chops and uptown entertainment tho . Just Let it run for 2 days only ! Saturday AND Sunday ! I think the Carnival adds NOTHING to the event . And they could replace it with something MORE CLASSY ! We could make a food fair maybe uptown by the entertainment stage area . Add a petting zoo for the kids and maybe bring in a NON TRACKED train ride to gives rides thru the downtown area . Keep the Mud vollyball and races as well . In short........Shorter FESTIVAL .....LESS CARNY atmosphere !
youmustnothaveki ds

Princeton, IL

#2 Sep 6, 2012
a petting zoo? schools have them and we have a very nice zoo 40 miles away with a petting zoo in it. my kids love the carnival rides. Who cares if the carnies are dirty or whatever as long as they are doing their jobs the right way leave them alone. I for one looovee seeing my children have a blast taking rides and playing games. If you dont like it i understand, but stay away. shouldnt be ruined for the people who do enjoy it.:-)
guessingudonthav ekids

Kewanee, IL

#3 Sep 6, 2012
There sure is some carny atmosphere going on at Hog Days but my kids enjoy the rides and the games too much. They've ridden those same rides since their very first time for 8 years now. Some of the workers are super nice and another tried to keep the $10 she owed us. I don't see anything much changing. Do as many days as you want. You don't have to do it all. Seriously could clean it up and\or change things up a bit but I can't see Hog Days being "classy" lol
Billy Bob

Spring Valley, IL

#4 Sep 6, 2012
Life Long Kewaneean wrote:
Who else here thinks it's past time that the annual "hog days " event CHANGES AWAY from a carnival driven event ? My thought would be to ELIMINATE THE CARNIVAL ENTIRELY. Keep the Parade and pork chops and uptown entertainment tho . Just Let it run for 2 days only ! Saturday AND Sunday ! I think the Carnival adds NOTHING to the event . And they could replace it with something MORE CLASSY ! We could make a food fair maybe uptown by the entertainment stage area . Add a petting zoo for the kids and maybe bring in a NON TRACKED train ride to gives rides thru the downtown area . Keep the Mud vollyball and races as well . In short........Shorter FESTIVAL .....LESS CARNY atmosphere !
Your BRILLIANT !!!! YES... lets take a tradition we've had for nearly 60 yrs and completely change it !! You MUST be the same person that had the GREAT idea of bringing Walmart to Kewanee, so we could turn the downtown area, into an authentic ghost town !!!! I just LOVE seeing the tumbleweeds when they roll past the saloons. I think that a "gay themed" parade would be awesome too !!!! Your a GENIUS !!!!!!!!!!
174927drt

United States

#5 Sep 6, 2012
The committee that runs its should seriously consider getting a better carnival company that is bigger and "classy". problem is is that it gets more expensive, but kewanee hog days gets what they put in. Brainstorm on fundraising maybe? Let the schools and local businesses(bars and downtown businesses comes to mind) and whoever else come up with maybe like donation jars or raffle tickets.. just a thought
Factory man

Bonham, TX

#6 Sep 6, 2012
I know our company has contributed to the committee not sure how much or what for and we have no direct benefit from the activities. I wonder what the watering holes contribute, this group brings customers right to their doorstep to spend money has to e worth something I would think.
smokie

Mount Morris, MI

#7 Sep 6, 2012
Life Long Kewaneean wrote:
Who else here thinks it's past time that the annual "hog days " event CHANGES AWAY from a carnival driven event ? My thought would be to ELIMINATE THE CARNIVAL ENTIRELY. Keep the Parade and pork chops and uptown entertainment tho . Just Let it run for 2 days only ! Saturday AND Sunday ! I think the Carnival adds NOTHING to the event . And they could replace it with something MORE CLASSY ! We could make a food fair maybe uptown by the entertainment stage area . Add a petting zoo for the kids and maybe bring in a NON TRACKED train ride to gives rides thru the downtown area . Keep the Mud vollyball and races as well . In short........Shorter FESTIVAL .....LESS CARNY atmosphere !
Not terrible idea to add those events but I'm sure the city receives a cut from the carny profits. Also every time I've been to the mud volleyball I've seen lots of drinking in a public park and a bunch of people acting crazy. I'm not saying I care if they do but you're judging one group while saying its ok to act stupid if you're from kewanee
smokie

Mount Morris, MI

#8 Sep 7, 2012
Billy Bob wrote:
<quoted text>Your BRILLIANT !!!! YES... lets take a tradition we've had for nearly 60 yrs and completely change it !! You MUST be the same person that had the GREAT idea of bringing Walmart to Kewanee, so we could turn the downtown area, into an authentic ghost town !!!! I just LOVE seeing the tumbleweeds when they roll past the saloons. I think that a "gay themed" parade would be awesome too !!!! Your a GENIUS !!!!!!!!!!
And you're a complete idiot. I'm sure the carnival is the same as it was 60 years ago! The carnival and the lovely folk that it brings were the main points of the first post and not the kewanee economy or walmart. Even though I don't agree with the first comment doesn't mean that your comment isnt completely and utterly stupid; however, I am glad to see the elderly using the internet since you know what hog days was like 60 years ago
Shirley

Peoria, IL

#9 Sep 7, 2012
smokie wrote:
<quoted text>
Not terrible idea to add those events but I'm sure the city receives a cut from the carny profits. Also every time I've been to the mud volleyball I've seen lots of drinking in a public park and a bunch of people acting crazy. I'm not saying I care if they do but you're judging one group while saying its ok to act stupid if you're from kewanee
Oh ya... I'm sure the city recieves TONS of money from the carnival profits !!!!!!!! I also can't believe how crazy those mud volleyball people are ! I have traveled to mud volleyball tournaments throughout the state, and these kewanee people are about the worst I've ever seen !! I live by the park they play at... its disgusting !! People urinating behind trees, drinking, puking, cussing. This needs to stop !!!!!
u dont know chit

Kewanee, IL

#10 Sep 7, 2012
hog days brings alot of buisness too ktown and if u dont like people drinking and having fun well then move to somewere alcohol is illegal and live your life in peace.... and if u think taking away alcohol will change anything ur an idiot kewanee is full of bars and why because everyone here drinks if u want to moan and complain complain about something good like they wouldnt put police station in old walworths lot so they put it in a park and then built a school on the old lot but if im not mistaken the ground was bad on that site so instead of police station the build a school on it ???????? there are way worse things to think about in this town then hogdays and how it ruins your weekend why not stop complaining and change something useful like get them to make something for the kids or atleast try and act like our children are important
Common Sense

Metamora, IL

#11 Sep 7, 2012
Have the SCHOOLS raise money for Hog Days?? Schools are cutting critical programs left & right, they are barely staying afloat or raising money to save themselves, the Federal & State government cuts are The Reason for this!!! Have businesses PAY for the opportunity to serve hog days, kind of defeating the purpose of having a business in Kewanee?! Hog Days is revenue and it is much-needed for this economically- depressed community.Don't like it, don't go. Pretty simple.
Shirley

Peoria, IL

#12 Sep 7, 2012
I don't like the mud volleyball people makin' a rucus... they're gonna ruin hog days for everyone !! I watched guys drinking beer and urinating behind trees all day long !!! I was going to video tape it and take it to the next council meeting! Next year, if it doesn't stop !!
Life Long Kewaneean

Elgin, IL

#13 Sep 7, 2012
So far from the Posts made here . It seems that Kewanee WILL ALWAYS BE a "carnival Town " . And one that will ALWAYS be stuck in the 1950's ! ;p
Billy Bob

Kewanee, IL

#14 Sep 7, 2012
Life Long Kewaneean wrote:
So far from the Posts made here . It seems that Kewanee WILL ALWAYS BE a "carnival Town " . And one that will ALWAYS be stuck in the 1950's ! ;p
Your free to leave anytime you want.... The majority rules !!
Life Long Kewaneean

Elgin, IL

#15 Sep 7, 2012
Typical Kewanee replies . The topic WAS.......HOG DAYS NEEDS TO EVOLVE ! NOT END ! But then maybe i was expecting something better from this town ? ;p
Billy Bob

Sandwich, IL

#16 Sep 7, 2012
Shirley wrote:
I don't like the mud volleyball people makin' a rucus... they're gonna ruin hog days for everyone !! I watched guys drinking beer and urinating behind trees all day long !!! I was going to video tape it and take it to the next council meeting! Next year, if it doesn't stop !!
your retarded !!!!!!
Steve

Kewanee, IL

#17 Sep 7, 2012
The Hog Days carnival is no different than the Henry County fair or any other city festival. The KIDS have fun on the rides. The problems come from the teenagers and especially the sh*tty, dirty, adults who come up. Btw, I am not saying all of the teenagers are the problem. As far as the days of the festival, why the hell would you not have it go through Labor Day? Most people are off that day. Maybe look at another company besides CDAC for the rides.
Steve

Kewanee, IL

#18 Sep 7, 2012
Half of the mud volleyball players are either still drunk from the night before, or badly hungover from the same. Move it to an afternoon so people can recover! lol.
Will

United States

#20 Sep 7, 2012
Move it to Geneseo
Life Long Kewaneean

Wilmot, WI

#21 Sep 8, 2012
The Question then is this .........Does the CARNIVAL cost money OR earn money for the festival ? And that would INCLUDE the extra insurance fees and other things the carnival brings as baggage . Also.....WHY do we need another carnival when we have one just a few months before at the Fair ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Neponset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sinbad Vapors 9 min Kate Is Broke 2
Kewanee banning Pittbulls 12 hr Again 6
Old grill and chill (Jul '14) Wed Inn Sest 14
shoe sensation Wed Kate Is Broke 6
WOW COMMITTEE RAISES $7,100 so far Jan 26 yep 27
does anyoneow who the dispachers are at the pol... (Jul '14) Jan 23 Occupy-Chicago 7
neponset water (Oct '09) Dec 31 lmb 53
Neponset Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Neponset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:35 pm PST

Bleacher Report12:35PM
Who Benefits Most from Hiring of Gase?
Bleacher Report 5:14 PM
How Bears Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report12:00 AM
3 Mistakes the Chicago Bears Can't Afford to Make This Offseason
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?
Bleacher Report 9:15 AM
Tillman Hints at Return to Bears with Tweet