Grossed out

United States

#1 Dec 20, 2011
Doug Paulson... As a landlord... Wish I had known sooner..He seems to be a "slum lord" If you are thinking about renting from him I recommend taking your time and looking the property over very well checking for signs of pests! He will ovoid handling any problems you have unless you get the city inspector involved.:(
wow

Mattoon, IL

#2 Dec 22, 2011
omg this is so accurate!! his properties are disgusting!!! he does not keep them up and wants way to much for the shape they are in.
Grossed out

Chicago, IL

#3 Jan 8, 2012
Roaches, we got that taken care of, rats, we think we've taken care of that.. Now my apt smells like sewer who the hell does this jerk think he is? Renting a place like this to a family with a young child.. I want out! Now..

“Try my Troll House cookies!”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#4 Feb 12, 2012
his interior wiring is nothing more than recycled extension chords that he cut with his circular saw..

he does not perform background checks either..
maybeyouredirty

United States

#5 Jan 11, 2013
Perhaps you brought the roaches and mice in when you moved in. Clean your home and this won't be an issue.
the fact king

United States

#6 Jan 13, 2013
Or perhaps not...maybe your just a slumlord. Who didn't do as expected as a normal landlord. A happy tenet makes a good tenet. Make your tenets happy..then they won't complain or trash your name or your property...Doug.
lol

Mattoon, IL

#7 Jan 14, 2013
him and cory sanders are the worst landlords in town...absolutely awful!
Frustrated at ignorance

Charleston, IL

#8 Feb 15, 2013
Pests are carried by the people who move into places. It's not like he inserts them himself. And although I live in Mattoon and have my entire life, I'm not going to act like we have the cleanest citizens. I personally feel at least 1/2 of our city population is filled with individuals who are...lets just say a bit dirty. Now when he has properties that are so cheap and he owns so many, it's bound to happen that pests are brought into some of the properties by less cleanly people. And of course once they are in, it is very hard to get them out. I personally have found Doug to be quite on top of things with our apartment. Although I'm also a tenant who makes sure I pay rent on the first. I think you just have to have a decent attitude to get one in return.
Grossed out

United States

#9 Dec 2, 2013
I did pay my rent on time, every time. Also the bugs were there the day we moved in! Would I go so far as to complain about someone publicly knowing it was my fault?! No. He was hard to deal with I'm sorry but that apt was awful... And FYI te bug guy even stated "she keeps a clean house". Lol we own now and I have never seen a roach in this house...
Business 101

Chicago, IL

#10 Dec 3, 2013
Doug Paulson=don't care if you got bugs or not, obviously. Duh. He only cares if his tenets pay rent on time,everytime,no excuses, no problems. Btw, having bugs of any kind, whoevers fault it is, his or the tenet..in a property you rent is no excuse to not pay rent, legally speaking. Tenets should remedy the bug problem and pay the cost if it or move.. Landlords normally use pest control to keep prospective tenets interested in renting the property and exsisting tenets to remain a tenet and others if a shared multiple unit property in staying as well. Bugs create a bad image,obviously. Repels most the potential tenets and creates a very bad image of the landord in this small community to perceive him like a 'slumlord' or 'uncaring'..he(any landlord) should, if they are truly effective 'profitable' businessmen, protecting their business image and profit cash flow...fix the problem or solve the perceived problem(any landlord as requried in the lease he and the tenets agreed upon) of his tenets or expect problems in the future. Guaranteed 100%. Pest control is the cost of doing business in the rental business. Fact. Roaches are a sign poor pest control management. Making excuses about whos fault it is makes the problem worse. Kill the bugs..simple amd quietly and quickly...

Dont allow you reputation to affect your business in a negative way. Roach infestation is VERY NEGATIVE to most everybody. Fault makes no difference. Bugs of some kind are in most every building btw in some form if not managed properly. Fact. Pest control is vital to managing them properly. Obviously Mr.Paulson expects his tenets to pay for pest control not him. Does his lease agreement state that? Most likely most do on single family dwellings. But if an infestation was from previous tenets, the landlord should pay to end the spread to the new tenets. That decision not to has serious consquences, a roach infestation and more important, a reputation for having them associated with your rental property business or any business for that matter, especially a food business can kill a business dead!...obviously the situation should of been to avoid any possibility of it even getting to such a severe problem to solve in YOUR business. Landlords should pay for pest control IF required or the tenets refuses and/or causes the bug problem. Its fairly inexpensive IF regular maintenance is preformed regularly. Who really cares in the long run who's fault and who should pay for it. Landlords should focus on proper screening processes and property management practices and this type of issue is not a 'business killer' as it can be if left 'untreated' and a perception forms as you being a 'slumlord'. Business 101. Duh...lol
Bottom Feeders

Chicago, IL

#11 Dec 3, 2013
Doug Paulson and Corey Saunders do have a reputation of being 'Slumlords'..or :bottom feeders' Most everybody will admit that if ask personally in private. So if you are a 'good' responsible tenet looking for a responsible good landlord..IF YOU did your 'due diligence'(checked the landlord references and credit history and inspected the property before accepting the terms of the lease.. you would of easily found this out about them BEFORE NOT AFTER MOVING IN. I suspect most their tenets are not screened properly for a specific reason. They will rent to most anybody, because.. If the tenet dont pay RENT or damage the property they sue the tenet in civil court AFTER EVICTION thru court and win judgements EASILY which eventually will get paid through the courts if your planning on remaining to live in coles county, eventually over time they always 98% get their money paid by the tenet due through a court judgement.Trust me, they know this very well and its their cost of doing business to collect unpaid rent or damages. Judgement satisfaction is in their favor, always. The odds favor them specifically. Especially Corey being a county board member with political connections. Fact. I assume a 'slumlord' reputation does not matter as much as their ability to operate a business like they do. Its working for them obviously, they think the ongoing complaints and negative opinions of their tenets and the public are an acceptable risk to take and normal in their target market of tenets and they would be unable to affect their bottom lines anyways. It reduces their market share in reality to cater to the bottom of market. Low income, high traffic, high turn around high risk tenets. These landlords are 'bottom feeders'. Creating more problems than solutions in our community. Attracting a certain type of tenet that affects our community as a whole. Understand? They dont care or understand this obviously. My advice to tenets is.. Check the references of your prospective landlord. If you do that, you won't have these concerns. Duh.
Due diligence 101.
i know

Mattoon, IL

#12 Jan 30, 2014
this is so true. though i never had any bugs, i had water leaks, mold and everything you can imagine and i always paid my rent till one day i stopped n called health inspectors.on paulson. he fixed it his way and still had problems so i didnt pay rent for 6 months. took pics wrote in book every day i called him and what he said. and i called a lawyer. i moved out and he made comment i owed him and i simply told him i had pics and called lawyer and i never heard from him cuz i put his ass in check!!!
Nothingbutcrooke d

United States

#13 Sep 9, 2014
maybeyouredirty wrote:
Perhaps you brought the roaches and mice in when you moved in. Clean your home and this won't be an issue.
Highly doubtful do you really have I sue everyone that moves out though Doug come meet me somewhere little bitch because I'm going to mess you up bud watch your back and becareful

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Neoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pakistani UK Bi/Gay Skype (Feb '14) Wed Joe 215
Mike Gaines from California in his hometown cur... (Apr '13) Dec 23 The Bitter Truth ... 12
Alicia (Gonzalez) Diaz husband guilty Child sex... Dec 23 Lone wolf 5
Fun Dec 21 sam 2
Mattoon Illinois Factory’s closed (Jul '11) Dec 19 Glenn 14
Hello Dec 16 Sam 2
William Beck Dec 8 Anotherconcernedp... 2
Neoga Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Neoga People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Neoga News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Neoga