Message Arrives 21 Years Later

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Merle Brandell and his black lab Slapsey were beachcombing along the Bering Sea when he spied a plastic bottle among the Japanese glass floats he often finds along the shore of his tiny Alaskan fishing village.
Comments
21 - 36 of 36 Comments Last updated Mar 25, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

Leslie wrote:
Seriously, a 30 year old woman can't remember a project like this from only 21 years ago? Does she smoke a lot of weed? When I was in 3rd grade, we wrote to soldiers. I'm 34 and I remember the card I got back from the one I wrote to. When we were in 2nd grade, we modeled dinosaurs out of clay. Mine was a stegasaurus. I remember that. I also remember making a Snoopy plate for my mom in 1st grade. Did this woman suffer head trauma at some point?
Must be lonley in your self rightous world.
Miss Smith

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

Where was her school? How far from where it was picked up?
I skimmed.
I wasn't paying all that close attention, I admit; I was still thinking about those ORGANIC FRANGOS. How desperate a move is that? Easy to see why Macy's is tubing it.
Back to the bottle. Where was the elementary school?
Thanks in advance....
Miss Smith

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

Leslie wrote:
Seriously, a 30 year old woman can't remember a project like this from only 21 years ago? Does she smoke a lot of weed? When I was in 3rd grade, we wrote to soldiers. I'm 34 and I remember the card I got back from the one I wrote to. When we were in 2nd grade, we modeled dinosaurs out of clay. Mine was a stegasaurus. I remember that. I also remember making a Snoopy plate for my mom in 1st grade. Did this woman suffer head trauma at some point?
Did you have a rough Easter weekend, Leslie? You're sounding a bit edgy today.

Ah well.

What I really wanted to do was tell you that , really, the world is a really nicer place because you're in it.

Really.

I feel somehow better than everyone else just because I quoted you and then I answered you, and we're really together in the same comment box.

Really.

(I don't remember my third grade teacher's name, so there. And I'm not kidding.)
Charles Bronson

Jefferson City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

My memory is a lot better than that! Why, I remember going to the prom with Dad and coming home with Mom!

“Nothing beats good DNA”

Since: Nov 07

Darien, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

Leslie wrote:
Seriously, a 30 year old woman can't remember a project like this from only 21 years ago? Did this woman suffer head trauma at some point?
I'M ON YOUR SIDE!!!! Why all the Leslie-bashing???

I got your point exactly how it was meant to be taken. And in the correct stance...you weren't "having a bad day and ranting" like some people think.

I, too, thought "what gives?" when I read that this woman couldn't remember something like this.

Too bad for all the other posters who can't remember their childhoods. They must be repressing bad memories.

I liked reading the story, but sure got a bad taste in my mouth after reading these posts. Bunch of fools...

“Nothing beats good DNA”

Darien, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

Noirsilk1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be lonley in your self rightous world.
Just trying to keep up with the majority of the posts, are you?

Who's lonely...?

P.S. Go back to school...you can't spell worth a s###.
LeslieFan

Calumet City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

Leslie wrote:
Leslie,
You are a beacon of light in an otherwise dreary world. I think all the little people responding with sarcasm to your obviously superior intellect should go back to their meaningless lives. I too am a fan of the mighty stegasaurus and don't appreciate it being demeaned in such a brutal manner. Gotta go, Ma just passed me the bong!
LeslieFan

Calumet City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

Michael Finley wrote:
<quoted text>
Leslie, I was in your class when you made that stegosaurus. I remember saying that like Leslie, a stegasourus weighs several tons, and like Leslie, a stegosaurus's brain was the size of a walnut. As you can imagine, that cracked up the 2nd grade...even the teacher laughed. I have felt bad ever since and as I see now, my words had a profoundly negative effect on your psychological growth. Please forgive me and I do hope you have kept the weight off. Sincerely, Mike.
P.S. I remember thinking that the guy with the knife should back off as he was cutting my umbilical cord.
I gonna save a bong hit for you!
kara

Elk Grove Village, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

Michael Finley wrote:
P.P.S. I have had a complete memory loss of every thing since 1982.
yup!
Jessica

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

That's so cool!

“Nothing beats good DNA”

Darien, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

LeslieFan wrote:
<quoted text>
Leslie,
You are a beacon of light in an otherwise dreary world. I think all the little people responding with sarcasm to your obviously superior intellect should go back to their meaningless lives. I too am a fan of the mighty stegasaurus and don't appreciate it being demeaned in such a brutal manner. Gotta go, Ma just passed me the bong!
Go back to your garage and give that 45-lb bar another try.
Citigrl419

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

ABC wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not hard to remember when you've only done 3 things in your 34 years of life. Why'd you pick the stegasaurus anyway?
LOL!!!!! Great response.
Meow

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

Michael Finley - nice work!
Susan in Buffalo Grove

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2008

CHGO wrote:
I'm sure that there's a future movie starring Tom Hanks in all of this...
Castaway? Is that you?
OneOfTheFools

Calumet City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2008

Do Shane wrote:
<quoted text>
I'M ON YOUR SIDE!!!! Why all the Leslie-bashing???
I got your point exactly how it was meant to be taken. And in the correct stance...you weren't "having a bad day and ranting" like some people think.
I, too, thought "what gives?" when I read that this woman couldn't remember something like this.
Too bad for all the other posters who can't remember their childhoods. They must be repressing bad memories.
I liked reading the story, but sure got a bad taste in my mouth after reading these posts. Bunch of fools...
I got your point exactly how it was meant to be taken? Only Leslie can make that statement.
Redliner

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2008

Michael Finley....too funny!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Nelson Lagoon Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Nelson Lagoon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••