Message Arrives 21 Years Later

Message Arrives 21 Years Later

There are 36 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 24, 2008, titled Message Arrives 21 Years Later. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Merle Brandell and his black lab Slapsey were beachcombing along the Bering Sea when he spied a plastic bottle among the Japanese glass floats he often finds along the shore of his tiny Alaskan fishing village.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hall Hately

United States

#1 Mar 24, 2008
it is truly refreshing to read a story like this with so many sad and negative things happening around us
Jefferson

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 24, 2008
Hall Hately wrote:
it is truly refreshing to read a story like this with so many sad and negative things happening around us
You are correct. However, I can believe that the girl would not have remembered this. It is not everyday that you bury something, send off a balloon or bottle in hopes of seeing how far it will travel.
Reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

#3 Mar 24, 2008
Not sure I seee what's "refreshing" about old trash floating up on a remote Alaska beach.
Sage

Bayville, NY

#4 Mar 24, 2008
And this is news? Hello, 4,000 Americans dead in Iraq. This paper should publish only news about all of the killings in Iraq, nothing else.

(Heh, just kiddin'. Anyone else getting sick of the peanut gallery here commenting on every story - and how none of them are "news"?)

I beat them to the punch on this one - at least I think I did.
WOW

United States

#5 Mar 24, 2008
I wonder if she got to keep the bottle/note that was in the bottle.
Yukyuk

San Jose, CA

#6 Mar 24, 2008
This is faster than some of the mail the UPS brings to my building.
Redliner

Chicago, IL

#7 Mar 24, 2008
I can't believe how they even found her. Nowadays...people don't want to put effort towards stuff like this. I can see the guy who found it curious...but a school administrator going through all that research to find out...wow! And she was married which makes things harder due to last name change!

Not the 'greenest' of school projects but neat in idea.
Dead Horse Beater

Elgin, IL

#8 Mar 24, 2008
Sage wrote:
And this is news? Hello, 4,000 Americans dead in Iraq. This paper should publish only news about all of the killings in Iraq, nothing else.
(Heh, just kiddin'. Anyone else getting sick of the peanut gallery here commenting on every story - and how none of them are "news"?)
and how is it that you commenting on the responders who say "and this is news?"...news?
Michelle

Arlington Heights, IL

#9 Mar 24, 2008
Sage wrote:
HA!!! That's what I thought when I saw the 8 comments...someone's going to complain about a school project being tossing glass (at least it's recyclable) into the ocean, and how it's not "news"...

I agree with PP's...it is a refreshing story, and very nice to read.
TDD

Chicago, IL

#10 Mar 24, 2008
At least the message arrived, "green" or not. With the level of postal employees that we have today, they cannot get the mail into the correct box, let alone correct address.
Matt

Chicago, IL

#11 Mar 24, 2008
We did balloon flys in grammar school. You had to read a certain amount of books, and for every dozen or so that you wrote a report on you earned a balloon with a message. I think I would up sending 3 or 4 off. Probably would never be allowed today due to the environmental factor, but it was still kind of cool. Never did hear back from anyone.
Leslie

United States

#12 Mar 24, 2008
Seriously, a 30 year old woman can't remember a project like this from only 21 years ago? Does she smoke a lot of weed? When I was in 3rd grade, we wrote to soldiers. I'm 34 and I remember the card I got back from the one I wrote to. When we were in 2nd grade, we modeled dinosaurs out of clay. Mine was a stegasaurus. I remember that. I also remember making a Snoopy plate for my mom in 1st grade. Did this woman suffer head trauma at some point?
BJM

Palatine, IL

#13 Mar 24, 2008
Leslie wrote:
Seriously, a 30 year old woman can't remember a project like this from only 21 years ago? Does she smoke a lot of weed? When I was in 3rd grade, we wrote to soldiers. I'm 34 and I remember the card I got back from the one I wrote to. When we were in 2nd grade, we modeled dinosaurs out of clay. Mine was a stegasaurus. I remember that. I also remember making a Snoopy plate for my mom in 1st grade. Did this woman suffer head trauma at some point?
Those are all the things your remember. You'd be surprise by the number of things you don't remember.
Sage

Bayville, NY

#14 Mar 24, 2008
Leslie wrote:
Leslie: The reason you remember such things and this woman does not is that you are a better person than she.
CHGO

United States

#15 Mar 24, 2008
I'm sure that there's a future movie starring Tom Hanks in all of this...
Reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

#16 Mar 24, 2008
Leslie wrote:
aren't you just special.
ABC

Lemont, IL

#17 Mar 24, 2008
Leslie wrote:
It's not hard to remember when you've only done 3 things in your 34 years of life. Why'd you pick the stegasaurus anyway?
snarky

Frankfort, IL

#18 Mar 24, 2008
Leslie wrote:
gosh, leslie, i wish i was your friend so you could constantly remind me how much better than me you are.

or maybe it's just that you hit your peak in elementary school and nothing interesting has happened to you since...
Michael Finley

Elgin, IL

#19 Mar 24, 2008
Leslie wrote:
Leslie, I was in your class when you made that stegosaurus. I remember saying that like Leslie, a stegasourus weighs several tons, and like Leslie, a stegosaurus's brain was the size of a walnut. As you can imagine, that cracked up the 2nd grade...even the teacher laughed. I have felt bad ever since and as I see now, my words had a profoundly negative effect on your psychological growth. Please forgive me and I do hope you have kept the weight off. Sincerely, Mike.
P.S. I remember thinking that the guy with the knife should back off as he was cutting my umbilical cord.
Michael Finley

Elgin, IL

#20 Mar 24, 2008
P.P.S. I have had a complete memory loss of every thing since 1982.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nelson Lagoon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Erupting Alaska volcano spews ash, disrupts air... (May '13) May '13 DNS 1
News Alaska volcano's ash prompts flight cancellations (May '13) May '13 DNS 1
News Trace volcano ash reaches small Alaska city (May '13) May '13 DNS 1
News Board votes 4-3 to limit Area M fishing (Mar '13) Mar '13 Jeff 1
News Alaska villages reject Venezuela oil (Oct '06) Apr '09 blue_zinc 9
News Message arrives 21 years later (Mar '08) Mar '08 ITS STILL BOB TO EM 2
News 1986 message in bottle drifts 2,800 km (Mar '08) Mar '08 Seashore 5

Nelson Lagoon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance