Who should receive handouts to paint ...

Who should receive handouts to paint their house?

Created by Antoine on Nov 19, 2008

44 votes

Click on an option to vote

Ralphie

Marlene

Concerned Citizen 1

Concerned Citizen 2

The Assessor

The Sheriff

Elvis

Cassandra

Tony? Whoever that is....

Sandra

GOODBYE JULIE

Country Club Hills, IL

#1 Dec 16, 2008
SHE IS GONE -- voted out almost 2 to 1. Final poll shows YES=1120 and NO=531. I do believe that is a very strong message from all the faithful Antelope County Voters. Thank you to everyone who braved the weather to vote today. Julie can you hold a paintbrush? You are currently unemployed.
Debbie

Topeka, KS

#2 Dec 17, 2008
GOODBYE JULIE wrote:
SHE IS GONE -- voted out almost 2 to 1. Final poll shows YES=1120 and NO=531. I do believe that is a very strong message from all the faithful Antelope County Voters. Thank you to everyone who braved the weather to vote today. Julie can you hold a paintbrush? You are currently unemployed.
Seems to me the former employees of the assessor's office are smarter than you think. Have you been to the courthouse today, there is no one to open it up. I think you idiots who organized the recall should be the ones holding the paint brushes, you all were not smart enough to think ahead. Good luck to all of you know, hope you have a fun time looking for a replacement, until then have a happy holiday season!!
Cassandra

United States

#3 Dec 17, 2008
I would like to put my name on the list for a hand out to have my house painted. I can hold a paint brush but I'd rather have the state do it. Thank you very much.
Bitsy

United States

#4 Dec 18, 2008
What is all this about paint? Don't you people have jobs?
True Patriot

Country Club Hills, IL

#5 Dec 18, 2008
The recall was much more than an issue about taxes. How it got started was the land valuation was raised 110 to 300% compared to land across the road or across the fence in the next county. This valuation multiplied by the corresponding levy equals a tax that is 110 to 300% higher than the surrounding area. We are not complaining about taxes in general for everyone knows they are necessary. However, when they are grossly disproportionate between areas, there is legitimate concern. This valuation increase means taxes on a quarter of land would go from around $3,000 to around $6,000 per year.
There has been much talk about how the state has verified the assessors values. This isn`t exactly true. They determined that she did not abuse her discretion when determining values. There is a difference.

The main crux of the recall effort was the large number of tax protests. Some people were told by the assessor that they would be targeted for another increase the following year if they protested. Others were talked down to, harrassed, yelled at, or just plain ignored when they went to Julie's office. This bullying is inexcuseable and totally unacceptable. This behavior has been increasing in frequency over the years. This is why there was such a high number of voters. People are tired of being treated with contempt by their elected officials.

At the tax protest hearings the supervisors came to the just and equable compromise of a 20% valuation increase over the previous years' valuation. They arrived at this number after they were presented with a letter from the University of Nebraska stating that land prices had gone up 14% statewide and 21% in Northeast Nebraska. Considering that the highest price paid for land in "Area 2" was $2,950/acre and the assessor had it valued at $4,000 to $5,025/acre, everyone agreed this was a fair compromise. Remember that the supervisors know what land values in their areas are worth, what the county needs in revenue, and what goals need to be met. After 3 days of hearings, they decided it was not fair to the people who did not protest to be stuck with the huge valuation increase. They decided that all of "Area 2" should have a 20% increase. It should be pointed out that "Area 2" is sand soil, and at a 20% increase it would still be valued at more than the neighboring area which is mostly clay soil. Our assessor/Julie should have let it go at that, but she decided to take our supervisors to the TERC board in Lincoln. She brought the state in on a local problem. The TERC board has gone against a county assessor only once in the past 8 years and our assessor knew that.

After our supervisors subsequent loss, a group of citizens got together and after a great deal of discussion came to the realization that they needed to help the supervisors get back control of the county. This decision was not arrived at lightly for everyone in attendance knew the ramifications of what was to come.

What helped steel their resolve was the general attitude of the assessors office. I realize the job can be trying, but treating the public you serve with contempt will only breed contempt. You can only bite the hand the feeds you so many times before that same hand strikes back.

I hold no ill will toward Julie, and I wish her well. But I think this may be a case of power going to someones head. I'm sorry this blog is so long. I must have a case of "Antoineitis." There has been many nasty things said on this site and it should all end now.

Debbie and Antoine should also know that "Ralph" is not Ralph Bode. He has only been married once and she is still alive, so give it a rest. He is a good and decent man. He has a nice wife and family. They certainly do not deserve to be written about on here. Furthermore, he and his family do not live in Antelope County.
Cassandra

Topeka, KS

#6 Dec 22, 2008
Why are you telling Antoine and Debbie who Ralph (Bode) is, True Patriot? Surely Ralph can stand up for himself...Ralph are you or are you not Ralph Bode, married to Jeanette? What about painting my house?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Neligh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Nebraska (... (Oct '10) Apr 27 The Walrus was Paul 52
Nick Meis, and Tara Vaughan's daughter Emma Meis (Dec '09) Dec '15 Truth1234 18
News Sheriff turns over box of cash amid investigation (Feb '08) Nov '15 justin kase 2,355
News Man behind Neligh signs wants to unite community (Aug '15) Aug '15 Antoine G 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Nebraska (... (Oct '10) Apr '15 neutral 103
Poll What's your favorite thing about Neligh? (Mar '08) Feb '14 Charin 40
News Double-Homicide trial begins in Neligh, Nebraska (Nov '13) Nov '13 Rock Chalk 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Neligh Mortgages