Colorado shooting a case for tighter ...
anon

Marion, NC

#21 Jul 20, 2012
I love how everyone turns every tragic event into something political. No one sits back and truly analyzes it or thinks about it, we just fling our preconceived ideas and notions back and forth at each other. No one's mind changes. We just vocalize what we already think and believe.

Banning or taking away guns won't solve anything. It'll create a black market.(see: our current drug policies and how drugs are smuggled)

Perhaps we could revise our gun laws, but how much would that really help? As of right now from everything I've read, this guy --James Holmes-- has a clean record. His professors say that he was a brilliant student. It's kind of difficult to distinguish who is mentally insane when we have people like this, who seem perfectly normal and crime-free, running around. This came out of nowhere.

And as for everyone carrying around guns, anticipating stuff like this...? No. That's likely to hype people up and cause a constant, vague feeling of paranoia and would likely cause more harm than good. More trigger-happy people than cool, calm, and collective vigilantes.

It's a complex situation, and there aren't any easy answers. If someone wants to harm someone else, themselves, or just a massive group of people -- they'll find a way.
anon

Marion, NC

#22 Jul 20, 2012
I encourage everyone to read in-depth about this event. After that, talk about it. Discussion and debate are healthy when you're reasonable and well-versed, but whenever two people simply throw their already-existed ideals back and forth, nothing happens. The two people only become frustrated and the discussion falls apart.

The reason I say read it in-depth is because, from what I often read or hear, people will read or watch one segment or one article on tv/online and then that's their only source. They don't read multiple articles, read eye-witness accounts, read about this person's background, our gun laws, etc.

Earlier in the day, someone from ABC News (I think it was ABC) claimed that James Holmes was a member of the Tea Party. An hour or two later, they were corrected and it turns out it was just a different James Holmes. Now, I wonder how many people are continuing to say that he is/was affiliated with the Tea Party?
If you're going to comment on a story, at least follow it. Research it. That's why it's important to go in-depth, or else you latch on to preliminary, false information.
Holder

Burnsville, NC

#23 Jul 20, 2012
Damn I thought all those guns was supposed to have been sent to mexico.
Tom

Dana, NC

#24 Jul 20, 2012
anon wrote:
I encourage everyone to read in-depth about this event. After that, talk about it. Discussion and debate are healthy when you're reasonable and well-versed, but whenever two people simply throw their already-existed ideals back and forth, nothing happens. The two people only become frustrated and the discussion falls apart.
The reason I say read it in-depth is because, from what I often read or hear, people will read or watch one segment or one article on tv/online and then that's their only source. They don't read multiple articles, read eye-witness accounts, read about this person's background, our gun laws, etc.
Earlier in the day, someone from ABC News (I think it was ABC) claimed that James Holmes was a member of the Tea Party. An hour or two later, they were corrected and it turns out it was just a different James Holmes. Now, I wonder how many people are continuing to say that he is/was affiliated with the Tea Party?
If you're going to comment on a story, at least follow it. Research it. That's why it's important to go in-depth, or else you latch on to preliminary, false information.
Thank you for your insight...finally, someone who has common sense!
Ponder

Morrison, TN

#25 Jul 20, 2012
Gun control is not the answer, tougher punish thru our court systems would definitely stop alot ignorance
shizz

Marion, NC

#26 Jul 20, 2012
Are y'all talking about the Movie Massacre???:O
anon

Marion, NC

#27 Jul 20, 2012
shizz wrote:
Are y'all talking about the Movie Massacre???:O
Yes. In Aurora, Colorado.
shizz

Marion, NC

#28 Jul 20, 2012
It's all over the news. A 3 MONTH YEAR OLD BABY GOT INJURED!
worst

United States

#29 Jul 20, 2012
shizz wrote:
It's all over the news. A 3 MONTH YEAR OLD BABY GOT INJURED!
it's now been named worst attack on us soil because of how many injured
RID-X

United States

#30 Jul 21, 2012
Sensible posts by anon.
Mongo

Burnsville, NC

#31 Jul 21, 2012
Here's a solution: Put idiots like this to death within a few days of their crimes. Do not give them counseling, the ability to see family members or their last meals. I would dare say that if people who kill people, and either they confess to doing so, or are convicted beyond the shadow of a doubt, are put to death immediatley- they would probably think twice about taking a life. Forget 'gun control', what is needed is 'people control'. Don't blame the firearms for someone loading itself and pulling its trigger for a killing. Someone has to go thru the motions to make a firearm deadly.
just have to tell u

Asheville, NC

#33 Jul 22, 2012
This will be turned into another 'gun grab'. These weapons didn't pull their own trigger, now did they? Mentally ill people do this!!!
anon

Marion, NC

#34 Jul 22, 2012
just have to tell u wrote:
This will be turned into another 'gun grab'. These weapons didn't pull their own trigger, now did they? Mentally ill people do this!!!
See, you simplify this event by taking the blame completely away from guns and put it onto the person. The guns are a factor, you have to accept that. When someone can purchase an AR-15, a glock, all kinds of assault rifles, 6,000 rounds of ammo, etc. then we have a bit of a situation that should be dealt with, and you have to accept that as well. There aren't any easy answers to this, but there needs to be some type of discussion rather than this:

"WELL GUNS ARE NEVER EVER THE PROBLEM!"
"It's the person, he's mentally ill"
blame blame blame the person, forgive forgive forgive our gun laws.
Oh, look. We changed nothing and yet another shooting happened. 12 more people died, 29 more were critically injured. 18 more people died 31 were injured. 77 people died, 300 were injured (this happened exactly one year ago today in Utoya/Oslo, Norway. How long until it happens here?).

We can't continue that kind of cyclical garbage. We throw away opportunities to at least talk about it and attempt to figure what to do. Do I have some kind of end-all, be-all answer and solution to this? No, I don't. It's complex. It's difficult. And that's exactly why there should be more debate and discussion about it.
sexwax

Albemarle, NC

#35 Jul 22, 2012
reb wrote:
If someone in the crowd had a weapon maybe he could have shot the gunman,This is why I carry mine everywhere!
and your the kinda person that makes this world a better place. People don't think when u go in to stores and stuff the sign that says no guns or weapons. Do u think that the bad people are gonna give a dam. They are willing to Kill there not gonna care about a dam sticker saying no weapons. That's why we should all carry guns no matter were we are
hmmm

United States

#36 Jul 22, 2012
Oh my gosh! Shut up!! Damn you sound like a bunch of 12 year olds. These families are hurting and you all are acting like morons
Get em

Burnsville, NC

#37 Jul 22, 2012
I say go house to house and take every automatic weapon to be had and destroy them!
No More

Burnsville, NC

#38 Jul 22, 2012
Get em wrote:
I say go house to house and take every automatic weapon to be had and destroy them!
You thought of it why don't you do it?
sexwax

Albemarle, NC

#39 Jul 22, 2012
Get em wrote:
you should try that an all the other people who think that! See how well it works for ya
No More

Burnsville, NC

#40 Jul 22, 2012
If Obama wins the presidential election again your gun rights are gone.
David Hogan

Burnsville, NC

#41 Jul 22, 2012
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
See, you simplify this event by taking the blame completely away from guns and put it onto the person. The guns are a factor, you have to accept that. When someone can purchase an AR-15, a glock, all kinds of assault rifles, 6,000 rounds of ammo, etc. then we have a bit of a situation that should be dealt with, and you have to accept that as well. There aren't any easy answers to this, but there needs to be some type of discussion rather than this:
"WELL GUNS ARE NEVER EVER THE PROBLEM!"
"It's the person, he's mentally ill"
blame blame blame the person, forgive forgive forgive our gun laws.
Oh, look. We changed nothing and yet another shooting happened. 12 more people died, 29 more were critically injured. 18 more people died 31 were injured. 77 people died, 300 were injured (this happened exactly one year ago today in Utoya/Oslo, Norway. How long until it happens here?).
We can't continue that kind of cyclical garbage. We throw away opportunities to at least talk about it and attempt to figure what to do. Do I have some kind of end-all, be-all answer and solution to this? No, I don't. It's complex. It's difficult. And that's exactly why there should be more debate and discussion about it.
If James Holmes had waited until the movie was over & people were exiting the building & then used a vehicle to run over 70 people would you be calling for a ban on Ford, Chevrolet, etc., a weapon of any kind is only as safe as the user just like a driver & a vehicle. Regardless of what type weapon he used people are dead. You disagree that guns don't kill people, people kill people. the gun was Holmes weapon of choice, it could easily been a propane bomb or a match & 5 gallons of gas. We have enough gun control as it is there are laws the books. The problem is our so called great judical system. All the plea bargains for people who truly need to be put in prison needs to stop. People who use guns/weapons unlawfully against another person should have to serve mandatory lengthy prison sentences with no exceptions. You probably disagree with this & thats your right to do so. But I also respect your opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nebo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brandon Clontz (May '13) 17 min rusty shackelford 32
Reward For Justin Honeycutt 28 min AJD 11
Matt McKinney 1 hr Siss 3
Western sizzlin steakhouse (May '16) 1 hr Mandy 9
Ashley Stamey and her Bisexual Husband 1 hr Mandy 3
Cody Dellinger and his BIG one 1 hr Amanda 7
News WNC sees unease over corporal punishment (Apr '08) 2 hr Panties Hurt In L... 223

Nebo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nebo Mortgages