Union workers protest wages at ProLog...

Union workers protest wages at ProLogis warehouse site -- themo...

There are 36 comments on the The Morning Call story from Oct 26, 2007, titled Union workers protest wages at ProLogis warehouse site -- themo.... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

About 200 union workers from Monroe and Northampton counties gathered outside a ProLogis construction site early Thursday morning to protest R.S. Mowery & Sons, the Mechanicsburg contracting company hired to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
David T Gosnell

Bethlehem, PA

#1 Oct 26, 2007
Same old story of over paid and lazy union workers wanting to work less and get paid more! There are thousands of good hardworking people in the Vally who would love these jobs for less!
here we go again

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Oct 26, 2007
how did these UNION PROTESTORS get the day off to protest? The reason not to use unions is to have your projects completed in time and on budget! We all know that unions served a great purpose many, many years ago, but today they harbor slugs who think they are owed everthing before actually doing anything. Give an honest days work and you won't have to worry about your future!
Chadsky

Souderton, PA

#3 Oct 26, 2007
I'm so sick of hearing about union workers not being pleased with their bennies or what they make. I've never heard such a whining group cry about not making enough when these folks are the ones driving brand new trucks/cars, they have campers, boats, summer homes etc... They pretty much are above the middle class and all they do is complain due to greed.
unions stink

Allentown, PA

#4 Oct 26, 2007
I have to laugh at these union goons. They hold their employers hostage and force them to pay outragous wages, and benefits. That makes them uncompetitive. Than they cry the blues because no one wants to hire their company to do work because they can get the same job done with better quality, for less. Well, the joke's on you, union workers!!! You can get 100 dollars an hour, but if you get zero hours a week, you still get what you are worth.....nothing!!! Remember, greed gets what it deserves.
Okok

Allentown, PA

#5 Oct 26, 2007
How many of those that were hired are illegal aliens I wonder? What a slap in the fact to hard working union people. I am tired of companies "out-sourcing" good pay jobs to people that would accept ANY pay they get without benefits.

THAT is the reason illegals are here, my friends. The companies get cheap labor - it needs to STOP!

Why should anyone care what the union workers drive or own? They worked all their lives for what they have - just like everyone else. Just because YOU have a crappy job and don't make as much as others is no reason to bad mouth unions. There is not one union that is all good or all bad. Sour grapes is what I think!

Look what happened to Bethlehem Steel - it is happening all over again with these greedy companies like Mowery & Sons who will pay for cheap labor.

We need to stop this and start paying Americans what we are due!
drmmkr

Bethlehem, PA

#6 Oct 26, 2007
If these union workers are making $40 to $65 an hour + benefits, than they are definitely are OVERPAID! And the average worker should be protesting at THEIR jobsites for running up labor costs, especially if they are working on public sector jobs. One word...G R E E D !
Okok

Allentown, PA

#7 Oct 26, 2007
drmmkr wrote:
If these union workers are making $40 to $65 an hour + benefits, than they are definitely are OVERPAID! One word...G R E E D !
Well, lemme see - if YOU were or one of YOUR family were making that $ YOU wouldn't have said that, would you? No, you wouldn't have.
drmmkr

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Oct 26, 2007
I(!) and numerous members of my family make that much money, but we are advanced college dgreed professionals...soooo I am thinking we are under paid! And next time I provide a service to one of these union members who are paid that much, I should be charging triple at least!
Okok wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, lemme see - if YOU were or one of YOUR family were making that $ YOU wouldn't have said that, would you? No, you wouldn't have.
eastonpa2007

Bethlehem, PA

#9 Oct 26, 2007
40 to 65 an hour versus 20 so you can be over budget and behind schedule. that makes perfect sense. What were you thinking Pro-Logis?:)
Ken

Kutztown, PA

#10 Oct 26, 2007
I said it yesterday and I'll say it again today. Just becasue you hire a union person doesn't mean you will get a better product. All it means is the union itself gets a portion of this by way of dues. The union only thinks of itself and not the workers. The unions killed the steel industry and they are doing the same to the auto industry. Wake Up !!

Since: Mar 07

Durham, NC

#11 Oct 26, 2007
$135,200.00/yr for a construction worker?

Does that sound "fair" to anyone?

Let's get some Mexicans or Guatemalans in there!
Jason

Chicago, IL

#12 Oct 26, 2007
Okok wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, and employers aren't going to complain if they can have someone work for $20/hour, as opposed to $40/hour. Works both ways.
Marcia

Lansdale, PA

#13 Oct 26, 2007
Being in a union is the best thing that ever happened to me, work-wise. I'd be poor without it, not even able to afford my own house. And I don't have a new car, and I live in a 1290 sq foot house that is still 1000$ a month. The problem isn't unions, it's taxes that are too much. Why attack your fellow citizens? We are all in the same class...
Okok

Allentown, PA

#14 Oct 26, 2007
drmmkr wrote:
I(!) and numerous members of my family make that much money, but we are advanced college dgreed professionals...soooo I am thinking we are under paid! And next time I provide a service to one of these union members who are paid that much, I should be charging triple at least!
<quoted text>
You actually believe YOU are worth more just because you have a DEGREE?

You actually believe only people with a piece of paper are worth loads of cash?

LMAO!!!

Since: Mar 07

Durham, NC

#15 Oct 26, 2007
Marcia wrote:
Being in a union is the best thing that ever happened to me, work-wise. I'd be poor without it, not even able to afford my own house. And I don't have a new car, and I live in a 1290 sq foot house that is still 1000$ a month. The problem isn't unions, it's taxes that are too much. Why attack your fellow citizens? We are all in the same class...

You'd be poor because you have no marketable skills. So through the Union, you do what many other desperate poor people do: You steal.

Any way you cut it, 65/hr for construction work is theft. Striking makes it extortion as well.

If you're working for $20/hr under a contract, shut up and live with it. You've already got what most don't have in this "at will employment" state.
Chadsky

Souderton, PA

#16 Oct 26, 2007
We wonder why the work goes elsewhere. It comes down to greed for little work.
Anon

Easton, PA

#17 Oct 26, 2007
This is ludicrous! Unions need to stop existing. There is absolutely no need for them now that we have the NLRB.
Chadsky

Souderton, PA

#18 Oct 26, 2007
Anon wrote:
This is ludicrous! Unions need to stop existing. There is absolutely no need for them now that we have the NLRB.
Are you kidding me. When a union worker realizes that their union is doing all of that (NLRB) work for them, they'll never change. They might actually have to pick up the phone to contact somebody to file a grievance other than their typical union official. There aren't many who go from union to non-union. My wife did because she was sick of the layoffs. Great money though for doing nothing.
bo diddly

Winona, OH

#19 Oct 26, 2007
Look what happened to Bethlehem Steel - it is happening all over again with these greedy companies like Mowery & Sons who will pay for cheap labor.
Yea, lok what happened to Beth. Steel, the union drove it into the ground.
Rusty Shakleford

United States

#20 Oct 26, 2007
WHAT? The Union drove the Steel into the groud? Are you retarded? Corporate greed, the willingness to outsource to cheap unskilled labor, cutting benefits, all in the name of bigger profit and shareholders gains killed the Steel. Keep backing corporations, what you then get are 9 year olds in China painting your kids Christmas presents with lead-based paint so that Mattel can get their stock price to go up. Unions may not be perfect, and yeah, they do have members who take advantage of the protection offered, but if you think that only happens in unions, or that only union workers can be lazy, you're horribly mistaken.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nazareth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Man defends question about US senat... Oct 16 weapon X 1
News Lehigh Valley air is no longer on the side of c... (Apr '07) Oct 13 weapon X 6
News Group aims to put up homeless families in churches Sep '17 schizoaffective 1
News What do you Think? Restaurant Says no Kids Allowed (Jul '11) Aug '17 KingH13 24
Stripper at the fox Jul '17 Papa 1
News New Bishop Named to Roman Catholic Diocese of A... Jul '17 weaponX 3
News Insider's Guide: Aquariums within a day trip of... Jun '17 weaponX 1

Nazareth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nazareth Mortgages