Northampton County Council Tables Gra...

Northampton County Council Tables Gracedale Decision - Regional New...

There are 27 comments on the WFMZ story from Aug 5, 2010, titled Northampton County Council Tables Gracedale Decision - Regional New.... In it, WFMZ reports that:

Northampton County Council has decided to continue its investigation into how to handle the future of Gracedale, the county-owned nursing home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mr Nobody Scott

Worcester, PA

#1 Aug 6, 2010
county owned, overpaid Union home... Lets get rid of it...time for people to start earning there money instead of just whining all the time
disgusted Allentown

Nazareth, PA

#2 Aug 6, 2010
Mr Nobody Scott wrote:
county owned, overpaid Union home... Lets get rid of it...time for people to start earning there money instead of just whining all the time
I basically agree with you. You know the depression we are now in will give us high unemployment for maybe 10 yrs with lower std of living. The CBO this morning is estimating 6 yrs. 15 % of corporations so far have cut wages and 50 % have hiring freezes They are scared what 2014 will bring with atrocious health care burden as espoused and fostered by Nancy Pelosi. They should have used 2011 and brought it on.
Our government needs to give substantial tax cuts in hands of taxpayers who drive 70 %
of our economy and matched by similar $$$$ in spending cuts. Fed State and Local
govts must decrease in size and stay out of peoples lives. We need across the board cuts in pay and benefits for all Living costs will decline to balance. The economy will become a rocket upward. Obama in my opinion is intelligent but without experience or common sense. We need someone with Charisma and the CAHOONIES to take charge. We will NEVER be able to match the spending patterns of 3 yrs. ago. There is NO NEED to fire teachers cops firemen and GRACEDALE WORKERS> We need to get our costs and economic house in order so there is a job for anyone who wants to work. This is my opinion fostered and strengthened by 64 yrs of experience and wisdom. I know I am right and I feel comfortable by talking like this. I will debate any public official on this anytime or place and teach them how to stutter. Pray everyone for what is going to happen to all of us
wind gap

Nazareth, PA

#3 Aug 6, 2010
The problem with Gracedale is all the management. There are so many RN supervisors. Thaty costs the county a bundle. Can the tax payers afford a 20 percent hike? I know I can't. We pay enough taxes in this area. I say sell it or lease it. Or clean house and get rid of jobs that is not needed.
wind gap

Nazareth, PA

#4 Aug 6, 2010
Mr Nobody Scott wrote:
county owned, overpaid Union home... Lets get rid of it...time for people to start earning there money instead of just whining all the time
FYI, The Floor nurses and the nursing assistants do earn their money. They bust their humps to care for the residents. It is the adminisration that does not work for their money and sucks up tax payers money.
Ms Hottle

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Aug 6, 2010
Over the past 40 years, I have had several family members who have been residents of Gracedale. These family members could not have afforded any of the privately run facilities that were their options. Where would they have gone when they could no longer be taken care of by their families? Gracedale gave them a place to live out the remaining time of their lives with dignity. Do we want to take that little bit of dignity they hac and tear it to shreds. Help our seniors and our ill who cannot live be themselves live the remainder of their lives with comfort and care. The care given by Gracedale.
Jobagofdonuts

Woodlyn, PA

#6 Aug 6, 2010
wind gap wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI, The Floor nurses and the nursing assistants do earn their money. They bust their humps to care for the residents. It is the adminisration that does not work for their money and sucks up tax payers money.
Ok 1 out 10 might actually do something worth while
Tom Fenstermaker

United States

#7 Aug 6, 2010
I was an employee of Gracedale for 27 1/2 years before retiring several years ago. 3 of my family member also worked or work there. I know the residents there will NOT get the care they have for years if it is sold or least. Gracedale is known for the great care their residents get all over the Lehigh Valley I am very much opposed of the county selling or leasing it
Tom Fenstermaker

United States

#8 Aug 6, 2010
I was an employee at Gracedale for 27 1/2 years before retiring several years ago. 3 of my family members worked or work there. I know the residents won't get the care they are getting now if it is sold or leased. The type of great care the residents get there is well known all over the Lehigh Valley. I am very much opposed of the county selling it or leasing it.
working for peanuts

Northampton, PA

#9 Aug 6, 2010
Us GD "workers"(the people that actually do the work like thier supposed to) know exactly what goes on and where we could cut costs, starting with the highest paid who get all the ot.Don't you think the county budget problem should include all of the employees of the county?? I think all the taxpayers would like to know where thier money is being spent, or maybe the coucil should ask the taxpayers what they think, and where the taxpayers money should be spent. Why would you sell your future home?? Most of our residents have no family, we are thier family that sees them everyday, takes good care of them, puts a smile on thier face, sometimes for the last time, by thier side at the end. wouldn't you want a familiar face by your side if you had no family?? Selling or leasing the residents home isn't the solution to the problem, after all we are all getting older, where will the elderly,the disabled,the poor go?? Thats right we bust our humps for the peanuts we make, obviously we don't do it for the money, we do it because we love our job,residents,fellow employees.FELLOW TAXPAYERS OF NC PLEASE SPEAK UP AND TAKE A STAND!!
ws w

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Aug 6, 2010
disgusted Allentown wrote:
<quoted text> I basically agree with you. You know the depression we are now in will give us high unemployment for maybe 10 yrs with lower std of living. The CBO this morning is estimating 6 yrs. 15 % of corporations so far have cut wages and 50 % have hiring freezes They are scared what 2014 will bring with atrocious health care burden as espoused and fostered by Nancy Pelosi. They should have used 2011 and brought it on.
Our government needs to give substantial tax cuts in hands of taxpayers who drive 70 %
of our economy and matched by similar $$$$ in spending cuts. Fed State and Local
govts must decrease in size and stay out of peoples lives. We need across the board cuts in pay and benefits for all Living costs will decline to balance. The economy will become a rocket upward. Obama in my opinion is intelligent but without experience or common sense. We need someone with Charisma and the CAHOONIES to take charge. We will NEVER be able to match the spending patterns of 3 yrs. ago. There is NO NEED to fire teachers cops firemen and GRACEDALE WORKERS> We need to get our costs and economic house in order so there is a job for anyone who wants to work. This is my opinion fostered and strengthened by 64 yrs of experience and wisdom. I know I am right and I feel comfortable by talking like this. I will debate any public official on this anytime or place and teach them how to stutter. Pray everyone for what is going to happen to all of us
you better hope they save Gracedale you are about 1 and a half steps from entering the place "old man"
tell Palin I said hi
and maybe learn something besides copy and paste
tax cuts only work for so long
and I think we hit the wall on that long ago
ws w

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Aug 6, 2010
wind gap wrote:
The problem with Gracedale is all the management. There are so many RN supervisors. Thaty costs the county a bundle. Can the tax payers afford a 20 percent hike? I know I can't. We pay enough taxes in this area. I say sell it or lease it. Or clean house and get rid of jobs that is not needed.
this is 100% correct and they sit there for 12 hour shifts OT doing ward clerk jobs
sucking the county dry
a ward clerk earns about 11 an hour these supervisors are among the higest paid in the county year after year
ws w

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Aug 6, 2010
Jobagofdonuts wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok 1 out 10 might actually do something worth while
you are an idiot obviously
you don't know anyone who works there
the majority of the workers are the underpaid grunts
they can get rid of the supervisors by one third
and unfortunately for some close to retirement
do away with the pension
switch to 401k
and the place is solvent
ws w

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Aug 6, 2010
And isn't it NOT a suprise the company who did the evaluation just happens to also buy these types of facilities
SHENNANIGANS!!!
I CALL
SENNANIGANS
INVESTIGATE ANGLE FOR THIS
AND FOR FORGING HIS FATHERS WILL
SHENNANIGANS!!!!
wowser

Bethlehem, PA

#14 Aug 7, 2010
Jobagofdonuts wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok 1 out 10 might actually do something worth while
You have no idea what you're talking about. I used to work there, and many of the aides do a nearly impossible task. They work short staffed. Are you aware that there are 50 residents on a unit, and lately there have been as few as 2 aides and 2 nurses to care for them all? Half the aides in the facility will skip every break they get because they can't spare the time. I get the sense that one out of ten times you're silly opinions are based in fact.
wowser

Bethlehem, PA

#15 Aug 7, 2010
I know an RN that works 8 hrs overtime everyday as a FOURTH supervisor!!!! She makes over 100K a year!!!!
John

Catasauqua, PA

#16 Aug 7, 2010
Jobagofdonuts wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok 1 out 10 might actually do something worth while
Send me the title of your findings so I can google this information that must be written in some report. I am sure you are not making this up to make a point on these posts. You said it with no sound information to back it up. However, send me the information so I can enlighten myself and educate myself on this misconception that I have about the people at Gracedale.
Jack

United States

#17 Aug 7, 2010
Lets face it america. You say get rid of it until you or a loved one needs it. Here is a good solution. Take land speculator, investor ron angle's millions to help with the debt and get him to resign his council seat and promise not to have elected office again and just maybe our economy (locally) will turn around.
Snowed by government

Bethlehem, PA

#18 Aug 7, 2010
Wow. Ron Angle, who already owns MANY properties in the county, has pushed for the county to sell Gracedale. Like idiots, we voted him in. The county home has been in the red since he took office; Gracedale was told to fix the windows, build a new building for the new air conditioning, install new floors, remodel All the units, laundry and kitchen was upgraded, new computers (4!) were installed on every unit an IT group was called in.
GRACEDALE IS ONLY SHOWING A LOSS BECAUSE OF THE COUNTY DIRECTING GRACEDALE SPENDING. The court house and prison were remodeled because of Gracedale's long standing profit in the past. The FIRM THAT WAS HIRED BY THE COUNTY ADMITTED TO ASKING COUNCIL WHICH WAY THEY WANTED THE REPORTS TO READ. The county will lose its jewel; theyre smarter than the average taxpayer. Who will benefit from the sale of the county home? Taxes will always go up; selling Gracedale won't change that, but where will you put your family member when there is no money and no county home? You deserve the future if you choose to sell the future home of our county residents for a few hundred dollars now.

“Learning from others is good.”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#19 Aug 7, 2010
Snowed by government wrote:
Who will benefit from the sale of the county home? Taxes will always go up; selling Gracedale won't change that, but where will you put your family member when there is no money and no county home? You deserve the future if you choose to sell the future home of our county residents for a few hundred dollars now.
That's what ponders in my mind, where will family members in need go if there is no county home ?
Snowed by government

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Aug 8, 2010
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Send me the title of your findings so I can google this information that must be written in some report. I am sure you are not making this up to make a point on these posts. You said it with no sound information to back it up. However, send me the information so I can enlighten myself and educate myself on this misconception that I have about the people at Gracedale.
I was at the meeting: Please look up why certain facts didn't make it into the public's eye

1. The firm hired by the county (ANGLE?) specializes in selling/ buying/ leasing nursing homes
2. Their report favored Selling/ leasing Gracedale
3. Angle has pushed to sell Gracedale for years
4. That firm contacted the COUNCIL MEMBERS and asked which way they wanted the report to favor
5. The firm used the year Gracedale was in the red
6. Gracedale updated the air conditioning, remodeled EVERY unit, replaced tower windows, installed new floors, put in new machinery in the kitchen and laundry, installed a new computer system and 4 computers on every unit, hired IT personnel, delivered treatment carts, among other things
7. The county ordered a hiring freeze; making Gracedale pay overtime and pay POOL NURSES double what a gracedale member would get paid.

I have to say its true that Gracedale nurses can make alot of money in overtime; but isnt that what the county wants? If I work 60 hours a week they don't need to pay another nurse, or a pool nurse extra benefits. My holiday, vacation and personal days don't increase, but Gracedale does charge you more for your medical benefits because they take a percentage of your pay. I work 60 hours and SuzzeQ works 40 a week; yet I pay more for my family benefits.

Gracedale actually made extra positions to avoid paying overtime; but then their accused of being overstaffed! Someone is pushing to sell Gracedale, and I can't understand why or how unless they receive a finders fee or actually are part of the company that buys Gracedale.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nazareth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman who had sex with boy, 16, is given work-r... (Jun '07) Aug 11 Sue 22
Anyone want to sext? (May '11) Jul '16 hannengland 25
Needing a place to stay for 10 days in Nazareth Jun '16 juliagulia1979 1
News Lower Nazareth couple found dead; coroner rules... (Dec '07) May '16 Sugar 17
News Sen. Casey calls for passage of water legislation Apr '16 silly rabbit 1
News D&L Trail Tenders (Apr '12) Mar '16 double aught buck... 2
help (Feb '16) Feb '16 slapmonkey 1

Nazareth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nazareth Mortgages