The Hog

East Alton, IL

#606 Sep 19, 2012
Jawbreaker wrote:
Great stories, great people sharing the stories. Thanks to everyone for it all. Please continue, I am selfish and enjoy them and want more. Jim and Maury would be smiling to know 39 years after they left us their music still grips our souls! How can we do anything but remember?we cannot!!!

Incredibly informative thread!. I have been a Jim Croce fan all of my life. I'm 40 years old. My father used to "wear out" the Eight Track Player with the Life and Times album...
Jawbreaker

United States

#607 Sep 19, 2012
Thanks everyone, we are very near the date of that tragic night. We seem to be rolling right along with new posts and new visitors. We always are appreciative of everyones kind words. May the memories, dreams and music keep going even long after we are gone too.anyone really familiar with Jim and Maury know what they did and where they were headed. To forget is always out of the question. Anything that involves them will never be forgotten. Thanks to my heroes for what they left and the family members who have shared truths about them with us! They are alive in my heart and I remember!!!

Since: Aug 11

Philadelphia, PA

#608 Sep 19, 2012
Hello Topix post readers. Tomorrow date is no mystery to the this family. Will you all join me at 10:45pm est (9:45pm cst) for a minute of prayer for the families that perished September 20 1973
Jawbreaker

United States

#609 Sep 19, 2012
upperdarbybill wrote:
Hello Topix post readers. Tomorrow date is no mystery to the this family. Will you all join me at 10:45pm est (9:45pm cst) for a minute of prayer for the families that perished September 20 1973
Thanks bill we will join you and many others to pray for our friends families.even through this heartache and many years we have grieved, we must know we are blessed with a legacy. Their mark in life is etched deeply within us and continues on today and many more years to come.may the peace of god surround the family with his love and grace! To remember comes easy,to forget hard,we remain saddened but thankful for them and will never be without them in our lives! There are still always near!!!
Jawbreaker

United States

#610 Sep 19, 2012
39 years ago tonight not only the world but family members, friends and fans said goodbye to Jim and Maury and 4 other men.the feelings of shock and disbelief were among us all back then and even today.many questions were asked then and still now.we often ask why? We often ask what could have been?
Though many years have past the stories keep coming, the music keeps growing and our memories grow stronger.I believe Jim and Maury would want to tell us not to be sorrowful but to kick back, slow down, and remember them with a big smile.even one week before they left us they made us one last gift to enjoy with all the rest of their music.they would tell everyone they loved them and would tell us thanks for
everything!
It is easy to remember, impossible to forget, and a lifetime of great things to hold close to catch a small glimpse of them today, tomorrow and forever!!!
Jawbreaker

United States

#611 Sep 20, 2012
Thinking sorrowful and with joy about Jim and Maury today.everyday is a great day to think of them and I do. Sorrowful they are no longer here. Joyful to always have them as a part of me.
As someone has sung often," louisana you've shaken the life out of me" through it all the hardest part is letting go within! Great words from a friend of jims. We have learned it's still not easy but let go and realize we still have a part of them. Who can say with words what they mean to us? All we can do is try to say the best we can and hope we can share a fraction of the truth of how we feel! I never seem to say the words that I feel. They are never good and kind enough.I still remember them, love them and think of them everyday. Though they have parted, they are close because they are living with me in my memories and my heart. We love you Jim and Maury and thanks for all your gifts to many in life.you will always be close even in our distance. Everything about you grows stronger and many know about you and your message.you will continue to grow in the hearts of many new people also. To sum it up, your lives, personal and professional, has and is making the ultimate statement. Your lives are real, the music is real. The test of time proves it all! Remembering everyday!!!!
simonnea USA

Arcata, CA

#612 Sep 20, 2012
Today we remember Jim and Maury, hopefully with love and joy! I think about how I feel when I listen to one of their songs, either Jimís songs with Maury backing him, or any of the songs that they did separately. What a gift they gave us in every song! Each one makes me feel happy or nostalgic, or like laughing or dancing, or like someone understands my thoughts and shares my feelings. I experience wonderful emotions when I hear their music! I choose to remember them with joy and gratitude for the time that they were here and for the incredible gifts they left for all of us.

Of course on this date I also think of Jim and Maury with sadness. I can't help it, because they died so young, and I miss them so much. Today I send them a prayer and my good thoughts ("I'm sendin' my good thoughts to you, and hopin' that some will make it through ..." -- more beautiful lyrics from a good friend of Jim's.) Four other men died that night, too, and I pray for them also: Kenneth Cortese, Dennis Rast, George Stevens, and Robert Elliott. I know theyíre all in a better place and at peace.

Jim and Mauryís legacy is their music, of course, but itís more than that. Itís the kind of people they were: gentle, kind, generous, emotionally honest and true. They brought so much positive energy into the world and shared so many good things with everyone who knew them. They made the world a better place by their existence and made so many lives a little brighter, a little happier. I think weíre all better people for knowing and loving Jim and Maury and their music. May we continue to follow their example and live in peace and love.
Jawbreaker

United States

#613 Sep 20, 2012
Every emotion and feeling you have expressed simonnea is what I have experienced too! Thank you!

Philadelphia, PA

#614 Sep 24, 2012
There are dates that occur in our life that we need no calender to remind us. For me Jan. 10th, Feb. 14th, Mar. 9th April 17th, May 17th, June 17th, Nov. 17th name happy and sad moments and then today September 20th 39 years ago, Upper Darby suffered a heartfelt blow. No one would ever know, how far his blazing talents would go. Now his future is no longer so, my heart still aches of woe. JIM CROCE you'll always be remembered.
I posted this along with a video of Jim, Maury and Tommy performing "Operator" on the "Midnight Special". This video was pulled from 'You Tube' but not before I downloaded it into my collection. Those whom are interested can go to FACE BOOK Growing up in upper darby' and scroll till you see the video picture of Maury & Jim then click on the center and enjoy. Please leave your comments. I'll be pleased to read them.

Philadelphia, PA

#615 Sep 24, 2012
simonnea USA wrote:
Today we remember Jim and Maury, hopefully with love and joy! I think about how I feel when I listen to one of their songs, either Jimís songs with Maury backing him, or any of the songs that they did separately. What a gift they gave us in every song! Each one makes me feel happy or nostalgic, or like laughing or dancing, or like someone understands my thoughts and shares my feelings. I experience wonderful emotions when I hear their music! I choose to remember them with joy and gratitude for the time that they were here and for the incredible gifts they left for all of us.
Of course on this date I also think of Jim and Maury with sadness. I can't help it, because they died so young, and I miss them so much. Today I send them a prayer and my good thoughts ("I'm sendin' my good thoughts to you, and hopin' that some will make it through ..." -- more beautiful lyrics from a good friend of Jim's.) Four other men died that night, too, and I pray for them also: Kenneth Cortese, Dennis Rast, George Stevens, and Robert Elliott. I know theyíre all in a better place and at peace.
Jim and Mauryís legacy is their music, of course, but itís more than that. Itís the kind of people they were: gentle, kind, generous, emotionally honest and true. They brought so much positive energy into the world and shared so many good things with everyone who knew them. They made the world a better place by their existence and made so many lives a little brighter, a little happier. I think weíre all better people for knowing and loving Jim and Maury and their music. May we continue to follow their example and live in peace and love.
SIMONNEA USA your words carry an eloquence that I continue to achieve. One day I hope that this forum family will come together in a musical gathering just to hug and sing and laugh and if need be cry but it would to me feel so much like a union of our family.
Jawbreaker

United States

#616 Sep 25, 2012
Thanks to my friends here who post the very things I think and feel! You guys are awesome!

Philadelphia, PA

#617 Oct 1, 2012
Hi family. I'm having a lazy day and I see not much posting here so I'll just vamp what came to this ones mind. Like it or not I'll bet you're still reading. Huh? I often compare and wonder Jim's success to others that have faded off the grid or were untimely silenced. The 3 major label records that marks their contribution to the muse and when I count maybe 7 music chart listings combined it always fills me with a bittersweet feeling. Sadness for what the world had been cheated from and I have a real problem with my 'Higher Power' because of it. Joyful of what gifted talents they left for us to play over and over and never seem to tire. Even most major market radio stations have kept the young listeners hip to this timeless sound by continuous airplay. You can't wear it out. So when I selfishly compare the "Dynamic Duo" to others faded or gone I wonder whom were they? I can't seem to remember what they sang. But JIM CROCE? Well, you know. Bye guys. Till we read again.
Jawbreaker

United States

#618 Oct 3, 2012
We will always mourn the death of Jim and Maury.as we do, we will always celebrate their lives, music and friendship while they were here.I believe what they did and how they did it is still changing the lives (for the good) of people today.we cannot change destiny but we can be thankful for how they changed us and what they left us!!! Remembering the men who did so much for us comes so easy.we will remember always!!!
Jawbreaker

United States

#619 Oct 7, 2012
No matter how much one listens or how long we have been listening, the music never grows tiring.in fact,very often it is easy to discover things you never heard before and still have to shake your head and admire! How can the sound and words be able to penetrate ones heart so deep?well,that's why they were once in a lifetime guys and that's why we've waited 40 plus years for someone to come along and do the same. That my friends will not ever happen and that's why there's only one Jim and Maury. With these simple words that's the best way to explain these friends.my admiration remains solid and will never change.I will keep remembering!
upperdarbybill

Philadelphia, PA

#620 Oct 12, 2012
True fans and Topix Jim Croce 1973 readers that includes our outrageous, out of their interesting minds posters of readings that have kept me amused, informed, perplexed and at times pissed I invite this family to visit a new and improved "facebook Fans of Jim Croce" page that I now manage. I will to the best of what I have inside me to maintaining with integrity all that I post. Right now I have uploaded a couple 'pulled from You Tube' clips. Also a photo gallery which will grow as this site continues. Here you will meet some of Jim's family members and friends and a girl friend that grew up with Jim in Upper Darby PA. Please visit as often as you want and comments with "Likes" is so needed for this new home to continue. Thank you all
Final Conclusion

Opelousas, LA

#621 Oct 14, 2012
In reading all of the above statements before mine, here is a conclusionI have reached. Perhaps you could tell me what you think.

The box of drugs was found by the child and the mother turned it into the police. Somehow the police linked the box of drugs to Jim Croce and his crew. This would explain the harrassment by the NSPD. When the band decided to leave that night after the concert, the box was placed back where it was found by the child and the cops were lying in wait for Jim, or whomever to pick up the box of drugs, and make the biggest drug bust ever. This would have received national coverage making little Natchitoches PD stars of the year. They drained the airplane thinking the pilot would try to get away but having no fuel could not take off. No one from the group attempted to get the box of drugs. The plane started. The cops did not stop them, thinking they could not move, however there unfortunately was enough fuel in the gas lines left to cause what we know as history today. This was 1973. Drugs were unacceptable then. People do not confess to participating in stings like these that goe horribly wrong, and a town does not carry these rumours around as accepted truth. Imagine living with this knowledge hanging over your shoulders and doing nothing about it for all of these years?

Please give me your opinions, all of you out there who were as upset about this as I was when I was 14 year old in English class, and still today for the remaining family members who are left not knowing what really, if anything, happened to their beloveds in a plane to be hidden for all this time.
Jawbreaker

United States

#622 Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for your post final conclusion. Your theory could be the reality of what happened that night. Although I heard through sources there was fuel scattered everywhere.of course we know who was immediately at the scene minutes later. If the cops were on a sting right next to the airport at the Natl guard armory how come nobody was an eyewitness to what happened at takeoff? There are many unanswered questions and I do believe even today someone is still alive knowing the truth. I doubt very serious the answers are here but maybe people reading will get tired after 39 years hiding what they know others may have been a part of. Character and intestinal fortitude goes a long way not only in this life but at judgement day! Will the real truth ever come out? Will those that know finally step up to the plate? Through even our unanswered questions let's remember what gifts our friends left us and spread the music and lives of Jim and Maury to all those we can. That's a gift that can never be taken from any of us. We do remember!!
Jawbreaker

United States

#623 Oct 16, 2012
I recently visited a site I found on the Internet. It was the lawsuit of Croce vs Kurmit.this was the lawsuit mrs rock filed against the producers, lawyer and record company over the rights and money of the late great Jim Croce.in this lawsuit it mentions mrs rock married a man in 1975 and divorced him a year or two later. Has anyone ever heard about mrs rocks second marriage? I always assumed her second marriage was to her now husband Jim rock.why hasn't anyone known about this marriage and why hasn't she ever mentioned it publicly? Can anyone tell me about this? I understand this man is now deceased also another strange piece of an unfolded puzzle!!!
Final Conclusion

Opelousas, LA

#624 Oct 17, 2012
Jawbreaker, she has recently penned a memoir about Jim. I believe it is now available. Called, I Got A name: The Jim Croce Story. The people whose elders confessed to them about what happened in 1973 know the truth. Can you imagine what would happen if this were ever made public now?

It would ruin the little town. But the truth lies there in Natchitoches, and will eventually find its way, Sorry you were not able to find it. Have really enjoyed this topix of yours. Will keep looking for you!
Jawbreaker

United States

#625 Oct 17, 2012
Thanks again for your post, it is not my site but have enjoyed coming here and remembering our friends Maury and Jim. Our friend Milton started this site with a question about that night and this site has snowballed into something great.
I had the unfortunate time to read the Jim Croce "I got a name by his wife Ingrid rock.I was not pleased at all and through decades and facts I personally think it not worth what it took to publish it. Many stories are told with no one to
back up the books story.those of us that cherish the memories and lives of Jim and Maury think even if a book was needed their charActer and integrity should not be broadcasted when they cannot defend their honor. I am sorry but I cannot agree with much of this fairytale story

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natchitoches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is the ("Black Bald head dude") name.that ... 2 hr Hello 2
gay male 5 hr sugarcoated 5
swap shop (Jul '10) 8 hr emhutton1 45
Clerk of Court 8 hr Deputy 8
Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas (May '11) 10 hr taking America back 12
we need some help Mon lazy bones 4
Natchitoches Central High School (Aug '08) Mon Chief Mom 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Natchitoches Mortgages