Best Natchitoches Musicians
BJonson

West Monroe, LA

#67 Aug 20, 2007
The "Best" musicians in Natchitoches actually left Natchitoches some time ago.
Eg:Bill Jonson, drummer, former earthling, Leigh Wood Jonson, former entertainer, earthling. Jeff Scott, former earthling, Doyle Primm, Paul Shelton, Richard Rudd, David Deville and the list goes on and on...
BJonson

West Monroe, LA

#68 Aug 20, 2007
david dollar wrote:
I agree...David Dollar is quite hot! and I'm not just talking about the voice...(kidding, but only slightly so...)
Here's an interesting update for you groovesters...Donnie Hyams, Billy O'Con, David Dollar, Jenny Rodgers, and violin stunner Dr. Andrej Kurti will be playing acoustic rock and sundry other tunes at the Ducournau Courtyard Friday, September 7. Who knows--maybe the beginnings of the reunion tour mentioned above. Secondly, most of the above plus Silas Dollar and Sammy Nix will be at the Pub this coming Thursday night along with Hardrick Rivers and a few other horn players. Generally a good time had by all, especially the band.
...harmon drew, mike morris,and several others on the list still play together, but mostly private parties--good old horn tunes, especially.
In closing, Doyle Primm is in Florida, Ronnie Brumley passed away some years ago, Pendleton is indeed in McComb, MS, and still shakes sweat on the ladies too close to the choir loft when he sings. He did remarry, by the way...and the Ferrier Bros (Brian, Wesley, Al, et al) and Brumley Bros and Sammy Nix absolutely killed at the Sportsman's...only thing close was a hot El Kabong night at the SportAPak.
d$
I have always thought David Dollar was QUITE the hottie. When I sat in with "Live Bait" i couldn't keep my eyes off of him OR Mike Morris the entire gigs.
chase

Atlanta, GA

#69 Aug 20, 2007
are we going to try to get these people to play for us? How many of you guys that played Natchitoches will be willing to get up and do it again? Do I need to put this together or forget about it? Speak up soon so I can get working on it.
chase

Atlanta, GA

#71 Aug 20, 2007
remember the sprial stairs out back of the club?

Since: Aug 07

Natchitoches

#73 Aug 21, 2007
BJonson wrote:
The "Best" musicians in Natchitoches actually left Natchitoches some time ago.
Eg:Bill Jonson, drummer, former earthling, Leigh Wood Jonson, former entertainer, earthling. Jeff Scott, former earthling, Doyle Primm, Paul Shelton, Richard Rudd, David Deville and the list goes on and on...
Wasn't it Bill Jonson that used a pair of Louisville Sluggers to create that famous Earth backbeat? ;-)
BigPhredd

Campti, LA

#74 Aug 21, 2007
Bob wrote:
I think one of the NSU Entertainer's was Chad Nation& Susan Arthur,& David Deville aka (SUPER DAVE)
Chad was never in the Entertainers. Susan and David were at one time . but not the original lineup. I don't remember the originals, but could name several people that were in at one time - Drew LaBorde, Pace Thorne, Joe Craig, Lisa Elkins, Dennis Allison, etc.). there was also a group spawned from the Entertainers named "The X" or "The Ex"

Natchitoches

#75 Aug 21, 2007
I've been trying to remember the band Kent Gresham was in. I remember them doing Grand Funk's "Inside Looking Out" on the riverbank stage.
snx

Atlanta, GA

#76 Aug 21, 2007
kents band was the square circle. it was him, his brother tom(who did great) on the drums, dana greeson and paul knipmeyer. a great band.i actually had the good fortune to play with roy cagle, jessie parker, and curtis anding this past weekend. the list of songs between roy and jessie is endless. curtis isnt playing out regularly anymore, but he still sounds good. got to play songs nobody else plays anymore-it was great. i have to disagree all the best musicians left natchitoches a long time ago, tho no doubt some great players have moved on. let me also say that along with being a great player, brian ferrier was one of the smoothest, coolest guys i ever met. as for the phoenix club, the way jimmy haslip came out of a bass solo there one night is forever seared in my mind.good memories all around.
BJonson

West Monroe, LA

#78 Aug 22, 2007
dph53 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't it Bill Jonson that used a pair of Louisville Sluggers to create that famous Earth backbeat? ;-)
Yes, I played it the way "Big Billy" liked it. Pat Richey (large man, remember him?) made me a pair of sticks from the butt-end of pool cues. It took me 5 gigs with Billy to break them.

Since: Jul 07

Dubberly, LA

#79 Aug 22, 2007
snx wrote:
kents band was the square circle. it was him, his brother tom(who did great) on the drums, dana greeson and paul knipmeyer. a great band.i actually had the good fortune to play with roy cagle, jessie parker, and curtis anding this past weekend. the list of songs between roy and jessie is endless. curtis isnt playing out regularly anymore, but he still sounds good. got to play songs nobody else plays anymore-it was great. i have to disagree all the best musicians left natchitoches a long time ago, tho no doubt some great players have moved on. let me also say that along with being a great player, brian ferrier was one of the smoothest, coolest guys i ever met. as for the phoenix club, the way jimmy haslip came out of a bass solo there one night is forever seared in my mind.good memories all around.
Hey, you,, yeah, you SNX, why don't you take your drum and beat it. <BIG GRIN> Just kidding. One of my favorite sets of memories is watching you play. Great fun and good sounds. Keep the beat.

How about Luke Brouillette? Pretty fine guitar player. Then there was that group with Lynn Brouillette, John E. Prudhomme, Rick Dezendorf, Billy Spillman, Mike Martin, and a couple of more maybe. I forget their name. They were fun.
bagger

Atlanta, GA

#80 Aug 22, 2007
Was that group Dick Donte and the Infernos? I think I can rustle up one of there tee shirts if I look real hard.

Since: Jul 07

Dubberly, LA

#81 Aug 22, 2007
bagger wrote:
Was that group Dick Donte and the Infernos? I think I can rustle up one of there tee shirts if I look real hard.
I think you're right. That T-shirt is more valuable than elvis' chewing gum.
bagger

Atlanta, GA

#82 Aug 22, 2007
I was suposed to be in the video they shot at the airport back in the 90's. I would like to see if if they ever finished it.

Baker, LA

#83 Aug 22, 2007
I left Natchitoches 25 years ago, so I'm only vaguely familiar with the bands that have popped up in the intervening years,but since I'm acquainted with, or friends with, a lot of the musicians mentioned here, I thought I'd chime in and fill in a few blanks in the ancient history section. The band Jimmy Haslip was in was called Street Punk. Others members were Phil Brown (g.), Steve Fitzgerald (d.)and Big John ? was the singer. Probably the strongest band I that ever saw on the local scene. They were all transplants, and they didn't stay long. Jimmy became famous, and Phil Brown had some small level of success,later. The other guys.....faded into obscurity.
There was a guitar player named Sandy Sanders/Sanderson?, who I believe pre-dated Don Moss in the Rock Foundation (another great band). Anyone remember him?
Mike Frank played for the Rock Foundation, circa 1970, and I'm pretty sure James Wagley was in that band too.
Sammy Nix was in a band with Dana Greeson, Wagley, Mike Durbin, John Locke and Ronnie ?(g.). Their name escapes me now, though.
Delta Queen was another really strong band. Great musicians.
And I couldn't possibly leave out el kabong.
Favorite guitar player was Don Moss (incredible).Favorite drummer was Sam Nix (he's been around the longest too). I'd have to go with Billy P. as the singer, although he and I were romantic rivals at one time (we both dated the same girl for a while...I've forgiven him). Really dynamic little fellow.
Anyway, to all of you also-rans (you know who you are), I,ve enjoyed hearing ALL of you play over these many years. You should all get together again for one more massive jam session.
snx

Atlanta, GA

#84 Aug 23, 2007
in response to record player. i agree the band with jimmy haslip was the strongest around.don moss did replace sandy sanders. dont know sandys whereabouts for sure- he played in dallas with excellent drummer raymond cedars after leaving natchitoches.mike frank played in the original "the moods", then went with the rock foundation. he was living in tyler tx last i heard. the band you are referring to with dana greeson, james wagley, mike durbin, sammy nix was named AUTUMN. john locke wasnt in it. the guitar player was ronnie brasher from lake providence.john sang in a band that was quite good that had raymond cedars on drums, and wayne tibbit on organ, and i cant remember who else. they also had horns it seems, tho i am not sure. cant remember thier name tho.have tried to convince don moss to pick up the guitar again but no luck so far.
James Wagley

New Caney, TX

#85 Aug 23, 2007
Sammy Nix sent me this bit of musical nolstalga. I was first in the Frats who played at the recreation center at 5th ans Amulet. The band was made up of Robert Rowe, Gary Troha, Greg Founds, Jack Corley and myself. Coach Thompson had to usher us out of the building because the Natchitoches guys wanted to beat or asses, I guess for the long hair.(1965) We broke up in 67 and reformulated adding Sandy Sanders and Mike Young. That became the Rock Foundation. Rowe quit (women) and Joe St.Andre took his place on drums. Sanders quit and we picked up Don Moss on guitar. Greg went to Law school and we picked up Billy Pendleton. Jack went to California and I can't remember who we got on keyboard first (Dana G or Mike Frank?)I got busted and they replaced me with Knitmeyer. Then the band basically changed to Earth with Pennelton as front man. I stayed out of music for a couple of years until I got off probation and then played with a bunch of different folks. One Natchitoches band was Autum, comprised of Dana G on keys, Ronnie Braiser on guitar, Sammy Nix on drums, me on bass and another cat whose name slips my mind (happens a lot lately). I continued to play in bands when I moved to Georgia and Arkansas. I moved back in 1995 and picked up with Roques Blues Band for 5 years. Then I formed the Sidemen and we played together for 4-5 yrs. I am now with Harmon Drew for the third time. I think that it would be a very cool thing to pull all of these old farts together. Kenny Cardino who played with several bands in the 60s is still around and also playswith Harmon along with Sammy and Donnie. If anyone is interested in putting aa jam together, let me know. [email protected]

Since: May 07

Natchitoches

#87 Aug 24, 2007
There used to be a band called Flexx that played some of the clubs around here...their guitar player was gooood. Kinda nice to look at too...
Mama Cita

Clovis, NM

#88 Aug 24, 2007
Natchitoches Music wrote:
Yes Billy Pendleton was one of the best. I think he should be added to the list of all time greats and he should also be on stage.
Billy O'con is a great player too. He needs to be on that list and the stage.
Does anybody know Doyle Primm? Where oh where are you Doyle Primm? Come out and bring that guitar with you.
There is a Murphy dude that plays guitar, anybody know his name. I saw him at the Pub a couple of years ago. It was a three piece band. Good bass player, and I think sammy on drums.
What do you think it would take to get all these people on a stage?
Doyle Primm, Billy O'con, Billy Pendleton, Ronnie Brumbley,Randy Price, Luke Broullette, Salis Dollar, Sammy Nix, Mike Morris, David Dollar, Donnie Hyams,
He's not from Natchitoches but Harmon Drew on Keyboards.He should be from Natchitches as much as he use to play here back in the 70's.
I hate we have to leave out BB Major, Dr Dewdrop and Mr Conant.
Will you show up if somebody can put that together?
Doyle P, plays with Merle Haggard now. Saw him one the grand ole opry once with him not to long ago

Natchitoches

#89 Aug 25, 2007
Mama Cita wrote:
<quoted text>Doyle P, plays with Merle Haggard now. Saw him one the grand ole opry once with him not to long ago
I've tried to Google up info about Doyle but it's difficult since there's another guitar picker named Doyle "Butch" Primm that was married to and played with country singer Allison Moorer.

Natchitoches

#91 Aug 25, 2007
wkz wrote:
Did Doyle Primm work at a shoe store when he lived here?
Yeah... he owned it. It was called "Candy's" I believe. I helped him record a radio jingle/commercial for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natchitoches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hamilton bynog 1 hr MrSmokem 8
Cheating husband 1 hr MrSmokem 11
Sneaky Two Faced Side Bitch (Aug '16) 1 hr MrSmokem 18
Posey is full of it 3 hr realdo 4
We need to elect a new DA 10 hr High Stepper 4
How can I get foodstamps while living with my f... (Jul '10) Wed Moocher 269
I'm proud that Trump is President (Nov '16) Wed Hotplate 45

Natchitoches Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance