Conviction, sentence upheld for Natch...

Conviction, sentence upheld for Natchitoches Parish man in murder case

Posted in the Natchitoches Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#1 Jan 6, 2011
Conviction, sentence upheld for Natchitoches Parish man in murder case
January 6, 2011

The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeal in Lake Charles upheld the conviction and sentence of a Natchitoches Parish man on charges of second-degree murder and attempted-second degree murder.

David G. Sarpy, 24, of 330 La. Highway 119, Melrose, was convicted of the June 2005 murder of Timothy Mitchell and the attempted murder of Mitchell’s son at the victims’ home on Fish Hatchery Road near Natchitoches.

Sarpy was sentenced to life in prison for the murder conviction and sentenced to 50 years for the attempted-murder conviction, Natchitoches Parish District Attorney Van Kyzar said. Sarpy is not eligible for parole.

Sarpy shot and killed Mitchell at close range, Kyzar said. Mitchell’s son scratched Sarpy during their scuffle. Authorities obtained DNA evidence from under his fingernails and from a bandana Sarpy left at the scene.

“The court found that there was sufficient evidence to support the jury’s verdict, including the defendant’s confession and DNA evidence matching the defendant found at the crime scene,” Kyzar said.“The court also rejected defense claims that the trial court erred in the jury selection process and in admitting evidence of (the) defendant’s prior burglary conviction. The appeals court ruled that the presiding trial judge, Dee A. Hawthorne, properly ruled on the issues presented.”

Assistant District Attorney Billy Joe Harrington, who tried the case for the state, said the case presents an excellent example of the DNA database system being used currently in the criminal justice field.

“The murder went unsolved for approximately two years before Sarpy was arrested and placed in jail in Rapides Parish on an unrelated charge. A DNA sample taken from Sarpy at the time of this conviction matched DNA collected at the Natchitoches crime scene,” according to a news release from the DA’s office.

“I'm here”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#2 Jan 6, 2011
So sad for both families. May the Mitchell's be blessed & maybe find some piece of mind. May your relative rest in peace.
unknown

United States

#3 Jan 6, 2011
David was set up. The "evidence" they think they have they need to check it again and find the other two people that was with him and test them and see what kind of evidence they can get on them.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#4 Jan 6, 2011
oh, so they put the dna under mitchell's sons fingernails? if someone was with him he needs to speak up, don't you think?
Cuz

Plano, TX

#5 Apr 25, 2012
I know david from back in the day growing up...people make mistakes..I know this is serious and is not something easily excused...I love him to death ever since I've known him..I think I've been one of the closest cousins in his life and know what it's like to f up and not have anybody in your corner...and I think when you have a weapon involved and it's much easier to hurt somebody with than let's say a knife..it's easier to do something..I'm not trying to excuse what he did but what I'm saying, people should first understand it and then grasp the concept...I honestly don't think he has a black heart...please, please just understand that it's much easier to react sometimes than think about your consequences before you do them...let this man pay for his mistakes like he already has been doing and give him a chance!!
self help

Natchitoches, LA

#6 Apr 25, 2012
Cuz wrote:
I know david from back in the day growing up...people make mistakes..I know this is serious and is not something easily excused...I love him to death ever since I've known him..I think I've been one of the closest cousins in his life and know what it's like to f up and not have anybody in your corner...and I think when you have a weapon involved and it's much easier to hurt somebody with than let's say a knife..it's easier to do something..I'm not trying to excuse what he did but what I'm saying, people should first understand it and then grasp the concept...I honestly don't think he has a black heart...please, please just understand that it's much easier to react sometimes than think about your consequences before you do them...let this man pay for his mistakes like he already has been doing and give him a chance!!
He apparently did shoot Mitchell, but appealed his conviction. He gets the same chance he gave his victim. I believe he needs to crawl back into his cell and stay out of trouble for the rest of his life.
Pro

Natchitoches, LA

#7 Apr 25, 2012
Don't do the crime if you can't pay the time... I would feel no remorse for a person who did these despicable acts. To kill a guy and then try to kill his is son is about as sorry as you can get. It's good that justice was served and he deserves every bit of it. Its disturbing to read the "good" things about him on this thread because he does have a dark soul and deserves to rot in jail.
eastsider

United States

#8 Apr 25, 2012
Never thought dada was capable of this grew up with him from lil kids just goes to show u never know...
me!

United States

#9 Apr 26, 2012
I wish everyone would shut the hell up about this situation!!! I'm dae dae cuzin n I don't appreciate ppl talkin abt him like he ain't nothin. nobody can change what happened so drop it. N to all the ppl that claim they knw him or was cool wit him n y'all wanna dog him out on this y'all all jus some fake ass ppl n should go straight to hell.
hmmm

Rayville, LA

#10 Apr 26, 2012
Don't feel sorry for him, hope he spends a life in jail and burns in hell!!
Citizen

Natchitoches, LA

#12 Apr 26, 2012
[QUOTE who="me! "]I wish everyone would shut the hell up about this situation!!! I'm dae dae cuzin n I don't appreciate ppl talkin abt him like he ain't nothin. nobody can change what happened so drop it. N to all the ppl that claim they knw him or was cool wit him n y'all wanna dog him out on this y'all all jus some fake ass ppl n should go straight to hell.[/QUOTE]

He murdered somebody and tried to murder his son. Your cousin is a piece of sh!t.
Pro

Natchitoches, LA

#13 Apr 27, 2012
Seems like I see this all time... A thug is either shot and killed or sent to jail and then we have to hear how great of a person he was and didn't deserve what happened to them... I don't buy it and never will.
inicent

United States

#14 Apr 28, 2012
Inicent until proved gilty or at lease until apeals run out

“I'm here”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#15 May 3, 2012
inicent wrote:
Inicent until proved gilty or at lease until apeals run out

Please get spell check. Thanks.
Louisiana Diva

Baton Rouge, LA

#16 May 3, 2012
Good for the law
Cuz

Corpus Christi, TX

#17 Jun 11, 2012
Look here, you calling my cousin a piece of shit makes you no better...people CAN change..it's just a fact...sorry if you don't like it..people MAKE MISTAKES..it's just a fact..sorry if you don't like it. I broke into someone's home as well a few years back....now i am in college and working a full time job. Does that make me a criminal for life. I say not. I'm a christian and made a promise to God I should never steal again and I never have. Yes, good for the law for disciplinary action but as well, a man should be allowed to repent and have another chance at life..happen once, shame on you...happen twice, shamed on me..isn't that so?
Cuz

Corpus Christi, TX

#18 Jun 11, 2012
And as for you "pro"...don't be prejudice...makes you no better dummy
Family

Natchitoches, LA

#19 Mar 6, 2013
Cuz wrote:
Look here, you calling my cousin a piece of shit makes you no better...people CAN change..it's just a fact...sorry if you don't like it..people MAKE MISTAKES..it's just a fact..sorry if you don't like it. I broke into someone's home as well a few years back....now i am in college and working a full time job. Does that make me a criminal for life. I say not. I'm a christian and made a promise to God I should never steal again and I never have. Yes, good for the law for disciplinary action but as well, a man should be allowed to repent and have another chance at life..happen once, shame on you...happen twice, shamed on me..isn't that so?
Hey Pro... I'm praising God you changed your choices and are now walking with The Lord!

I have some thoughts about your comments...

You are correct in that everyone makes mistakes, however David didn't make "a mistake" that morning in June. Making a mistake means we don't do things intentionally.

David made "many" intentional choices...
(Choice to break into a house, to choke the son, to shoot the father and turned and shot the son where some of the "big choices" he made that day)

Now as for change... I personally believe that David can change his choices even today!! Just as you did!=) In fact, that's been my prayer even before we knew his name. One day, I hope to be able to sit and talk with David about Jesus when the appeal process has been completed.

God can redeem ANYONE who calls upon Him!!
do the crime do the time

Alexandria, LA

#20 Mar 6, 2013
Do the crime do the dam time
1st Cousin

Bastrop, LA

#21 Mar 11, 2014
I love & miss Dada .. stuff happens & I'm praying for our family and there's too...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natchitoches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barry LaCaze child raper 27 min Cookie Lyon 15
NJHS faculty need a reality check 6 hr Confused 4
future expectations (Jul '11) 6 hr Response 15
LabreshaC. Sun Shaylive143 3
Bye Felicia Sun Submit 2
Can I? Sun Yawn 5
Things D0pe H0s Do May 20 Little Chung Nguyen 2

Natchitoches Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance