burned plantation on John Quitman

burned plantation on John Quitman

Posted in the Natchez Forum

TRI-K

United States

#1 Mar 27, 2006
Does anyone know who owns the plantation on John Quitman?
It was burned, don't know when or any details. It's on the right side sitting back from the road. It is of red brick and has huge white columns.
cjb

Jackson, MS

#2 Mar 27, 2006
The name of the house is Arlington built in 1816. It burned sometime in the last 5 to 7 years. I don't anything about the current owner.
cjb

Jackson, MS

#3 Mar 27, 2006
The house may have burned more recently than I said before I don't remember the actual year. I am pretty sure that it was after 1998.The Natchez Democrat news paper ran a story on it when it happened. I can't find the copy that I have of it.
JMH

United States

#5 Feb 14, 2009
Arlington is actually owned by the Natchez Historic Foundation (NHF) according to the National Historic Landmarks (NHL) Program website. I have visited the property recently and found the condition of the house and other buildings to be very dilapidated due to vandalism. What a wonderful project for volunteer/non-profit organizations to work on; any information on this would be greatly appreciated, as I would be interested in "putting in" some hours to help this beautiful and historic home! Please email me at: [email protected]
melmont

Decatur, MS

#6 Apr 18, 2011
It's owned by Dr. Thomas Vaughn of Jackson, MS. It burned in September 2001. The Historic Natchez Foundation are doing everything within their powers to save it.
Architect

Russellville, KY

#7 May 9, 2011
Does anyone know if Dr. Vaughn would sell Arlington? I am looking to move there and restore an old house when we retire.
melmont

Pineville, LA

#8 Aug 13, 2011
Architect wrote:
Does anyone know if Dr. Vaughn would sell Arlington? I am looking to move there and restore an old house when we retire.
I know a family in town offered him 800,000 for it, he turned then down. No, he's not wanting to sell it. You can actually get on the www.natchezdemocrat.com and look in the archives. There are many articles about all the attempts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natchez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Natchez man charged with cruelty after newborn ... Apr '16 USA R0CKS 22
News TPSD leaders confident in new administrator hire Apr '16 Tupelo Daily News 5
What really happened to Summer Moffitt Slater? (May '13) Apr '16 Summers mother 39
News Rod Guajardo: One year later, Tupelo still feel... Feb '16 Stay Loose 2
is natchez a good place to live (Jul '10) Feb '16 Phoenix 11
wheres the party spot? (Jun '13) Jan '16 guest 8
News Rod Guajardo: Heritage tourism great opportunit... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Sports Editor 8

Natchez Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Natchez Mortgages