Boiled Crawfish on La Purchase?

Posted in the Natchez Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Saw It

United States

#1 Mar 26, 2009
Please explain to me how people on welfare getting the La Purchase card can buy hot boiled crawfish here in town?

I would love to have some this season but Im not ready to part with $40 so I can have a few pounds with an ear of corn. I work and buy groceries with my paycheck and it has to last until I get paid the next week. They need to reform this La purchase card and you can buy the staples like flour , rice and meat.Your not working you have time to cook your own meal. If you worked for that dollar you might think different.

I know alot of people work and still get help.. but this ticks me off.
Sarah P

Austin, TX

#2 Mar 26, 2009
the same way they can buy birthday cakes and wedding cakes and ribs for a bar-b-q.
Curious

Atlanta, GA

#3 Mar 26, 2009
Is it true that there is a sign at The Crawfish Hole that says, "If you are paying with food stamps you must get your food to go."
Saw It

United States

#4 Mar 26, 2009
I know someone that bought a $250 wedding cake at brookshires with the foodstamp card and was happy to tell it. People abuse everything and it will just get worse.

I don't know why I get my blood pressure up, Oh YEAH...Its my Tax money.
IHOPLover

Natchitoches, LA

#5 Mar 26, 2009
I agree with all the above posts. They are supposed to buy things that are necessary to prepare a meal, that's understandable if went in and bought a pound or two for a gumbo or etoufee, etc. But to go in and get 15-20 pounds at one time. Things like this should be looked at, just like the purchasing of cakes. I used to work at Atwoods Bakery back when they were in the little store, and I saw many times, people would come in and purchase an extravagant wedding cake or huge, detailed birthday cake with their LA Purchase cards, it's like they were saving up or something!
annoyed also

United States

#6 Mar 26, 2009
u mean its not ok to buy a few pounds of crawfish and let the kids go hungry the rest of the month???
Carnahan

Atlanta, GA

#7 Mar 26, 2009
annoyed also wrote:
u mean its not ok to buy a few pounds of crawfish and let the kids go hungry the rest of the month???
It's OK with me, but they must get their food to go. I also do not allow them playing music in my parking lot so loud it rattles my windows.
Sister Pot Hole

Pelican, LA

#8 Mar 26, 2009
I guess it would be alright with you! You charge an arm and a leg. But still the cash goes in your pocket and you don't have to pay taxes on it either when they use the card!
refuse to play

Atlanta, GA

#9 Mar 26, 2009
I refuse to eat crawfish from crawfish hole. I will not buy them or eat any that somebody else bought. I don't like carnahan, his business or his business practices. I would not lose a minutes sleep if he closed the doors tonight.
true

San Angelo, TX

#10 Mar 26, 2009
Curious wrote:
Is it true that there is a sign at The Crawfish Hole that says, "If you are paying with food stamps you must get your food to go."
Absolutlely TRUE!!! Drives me crazy!! People who use their own money don't have enough left to even think about buying live craefish, much less, getting it hot and frsh!!!
poor too

Atlanta, GA

#11 Mar 27, 2009
I didn't think you could buy prepared food with food stamps. You can't go to McDonalds and get hamburgers to go.
Kind too

United States

#12 Mar 27, 2009
I think the sign saying they have to leave after purchasing it has something to do with the card restrictions on what can be bought.
PROUD PARENT

Natchitoches, LA

#13 Mar 27, 2009
You are only suppose to buy uncooked food with the food stamp card. the business owner lets them do it differently. I am on food stamps and do not visit the crawfish hole because i am not going to waste my whole month's food stamps on crawfish for 1 meal. I believe that it is wrong to use the food stamps for that purpose. Crawfish Hole is wrong for letting the people on food stamps get cooked crawfish on the card and that is why i do not visit them
Kind too

United States

#14 Mar 27, 2009
I agree with you. One who really needs the card wouldn't be able to spend a whole months worth on one meal.
Missy

Natchitoches, LA

#15 Mar 27, 2009
I dont get food stamps but buy them occasionally because people have so many they dont need as many so they sell them and i purchase. And it is nothing wrong with what people use their stamps on. Our taxes are already taken so just shut up about it, you done your duty now the rest is on them. All you rich REPUBLICANS do is complain because you have to give to the poor well everyone wasnt born with a sliver spoon in there mouth, and some people have to start from the bottom and work their ways up so shut up sometimes. Let the case workers determine who should and should not get assitance. If the misuse it then how is it huring you, our tax money is taken anyway.
say no

Dillon, SC

#17 Mar 27, 2009
we need to write in to our Gov. office and speak about this. This is soooooo wrong. Somebody please find out the e-mail to send to and set up a place on here that says WE ARE NOT FOR OUR TAX $ BEING SPENT LIKE THIS! I don't know how or I would do it.

Since: Mar 09

Chicago

#18 Mar 27, 2009
Missy wrote:
I dont get food stamps but buy them occasionally because people have so many they dont need as many so they sell them and i purchase. And it is nothing wrong with what people use their stamps on. Our taxes are already taken so just shut up about it, you done your duty now the rest is on them. All you rich REPUBLICANS do is complain because you have to give to the poor well everyone wasnt born with a sliver spoon in there mouth, and some people have to start from the bottom and work their ways up so shut up sometimes. Let the case workers determine who should and should not get assitance. If the misuse it then how is it huring you, our tax money is taken anyway.
You may need to save your money and buy a ladder so your dumbass can climb out of the hole. And hell no you can't use the one I bought!
Saw It

United States

#19 Mar 27, 2009
Maybe the card should be more like WIC, Heres a list of things the goverment will pay for so you can survive until you can make it on your own.(Milk , cheese, cereal, eggs & juice).Alot of kids would go hungry if they didnt have this. But they need to do something with this Purchase card.
I saw on FOX news they are now kicking around the idea of drug testing for some forms of goverment aid.I dont like the idea of more goverment control but it would weed out the free riders that have lived on our dime for years.
say no

Dillon, SC

#20 Mar 27, 2009
Carnahan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's OK with me, but they must get their food to go. I also do not allow them playing music in my parking lot so loud it rattles my windows.
The problem is it should not be ok with you. The reason it is, is because your getting rich off the goverment.
WHAT

Atlanta, GA

#21 Mar 27, 2009
Missy wrote:
You cannot buy food stamps from people! That's ILLEGAL you idiot!! Those people are taking your cash and buying beer, cigarettes, and drugs you fool!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natchez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sharing miracles 1 hr old RN 14
Martin Luther king Iím glad he got shot 10 hr Tattoo 14
Gloria young 11 hr Tattoo 1
Barbershop (Jan '17) 15 hr Nattown 17
openly gay students at St Marys (Sep '09) Sat Tugboat 170
Dr picou says rick knowlin might get warts Sat Maw maw picou 1
Dr picou wants to put rick knowlin in a isolati... Sat Maw maw picou 1

Natchez Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance