Nashville church wants to allow homel...

Nashville church wants to allow homeless camp on property

There are 7 comments on the WKRN story from Sep 19, 2012, titled Nashville church wants to allow homeless camp on property. In it, WKRN reports that:

Green Street Church of Christ is taking on the city of Nashville in an effort to keep a homeless camp on the church's property.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKRN.

“All gave some,some gave all.”

Since: Jun 11

PCB

#1 Sep 20, 2012
NASHVILLE, Tenn.- Green Street Church of Christ is taking on the city of Nashville in an effort to keep a homeless camp on the church's property.

The church has allowed about a dozen homeless people to set up tents on their front lawn as a safe place to live.

However, after a complaint to the zoning board and a citation, the city wants to put an end to the encampment.

The church believes it is their calling to help the homeless.

"It is the church's belief that when they see a poor person, they see Jesus and they feel that to ignore a poor person or not help them would be to violate their religious beliefs, violate what they see is in the Bible and to turn Jesus away," Tripp Hunt, the attorney representing the church, told Nashville's News 2.

The encampment is home to Roger McGue and his mother Debrae.

"It's safe, there's no trouble, there's no alcohol, no prostitution, none of that," McGue told Nashville's News 2.

McGue and his mother have lived on the church grounds for two weeks while he looks for job.

"Employment is really hard for me because of my past, which I don't blame people," McGue said.

The church has allowed homeless people to live on their grounds for the last several months. Two church members are responsible for making sure the encampment is safe and problem free.

In a statement, Green Street Church of Christ Pastor Jim Atwood said, "Our vision is to have a downtown location where God is free to help and heal many of the forgotten, and often forsaken, people of our city. We are simply doing what a church ought to do."

Tom Cross, Metro Nashville Attorney told Nashville's News 2, "We are working hard with our codes department to make sure we understand what our responsibilities are both to enforcement of our zoning code and to accommodate the religious mission of the church We would like to assure that we could come up with a solution that does accommodate the church's religious mission while still protecting public health and safety as best we can."

The two sides are expected to meet in court in November.

PCB

#2 Sep 20, 2012
I have attended this church.
One of the things this small church does is transport people to the church on wednesday nights,and feeds them after the service.
Im at a loss with why a few tents has drawn national attention.
I plan to request a meeting with the Tennesse Governor Bill Haslem and ask him to stop the city from violating this small churches Constitutional rights that I fought for.
-Homeless Veteran-

PCB

#3 Sep 20, 2012

PCB

#4 Sep 20, 2012
The City of Nashville is demanding that a church close down its encampment of tents for the homeless on its property, saying that it violates a zoning law.
Nashville officials told Green Street Church of Christ that the placement of about ten tents is a zoning violation, but the church maintains that such an encampment is part of their mission to help the poor.

Tom Cross, an associate director with Nashville's legal division, told The Christian Post that the tent community falls under the zoning laws regarding camping.

"The Metropolitan Government's zoning laws allow camping only in specific areas, which do not include the church property at issue," said Cross.

Cross also told CP that he hopes an agreement can be reached between the City and the church outside of the courtroom.

"We're all interested in seeing that shelter and other services are available for those who need them," said Cross, noting that there are other facilities nearby that could help the tent dwellers.

Follow us

"In addition, we would like to accommodate the religious mission of the church while also protecting public health and safety."

Jim Atwood, pastor at Green Street, explained in an interview with The Associated Press that their homeless encampment is God's will.

"We believe that it is God's will for his property to be used to provide a place for needy people to come, a place where they are safe and a place where they can begin to put back together the broken pieces of their lives," said Atwood.

"Our vision is to have a downtown location where God is free to help and heal many of the forgotten, and often forsaken, people of our city…We are simply doing what a church ought to do."

According to the local network media WKRN-TV Channel 2, Greet Street has been providing tent space for the homeless over the past several months.

In an interview with WKRN 2, the church attorney Tripp Hunt explained that Green Street feels a special calling to have the tent community, which church members help keep drug and alcohol free.

"It is the church's belief that when they see a poor person, they see Jesus and they feel that to ignore a poor person or not help them would be to violate their religious beliefs, violate what they see is in the Bible and to turn Jesus away," said Hunt.

The Green Street Church of Christ of Nashville, Tennessee did not return comment by press time.

Read more at http://www.christianpost.com

PCB

#5 Sep 20, 2012
NASHVILLE, Tenn.- The Green Street Church of Christ is taking on the city, in an effort to keep a homeless camp on its property.

About 15 tents currently sit next to the church. The community started a few months ago, and has steadily grown. However, after a recent complaint to the zoning board and a citation, the city wants to put an end to the encampment.

Officials with the Metro Nashville Codes Department state the church's property does not allow camping, but church members say it is their mission to help the homeless.

"The Bible says when you help a poor person, you help Jesus," said Tripp Hunt, the attorney representing the church, " They feel there is Jesus in each one of these tents."

Residents said the community is safe, clean, and everyone looks out for each other.

"Why are they picking on us," said resident Jim Johnston, "Why don't they help the homeless?"

Church members said they regularly provide hot meals for the residents, and many of the people also attend church services.

"The church is not going to let them leave," said Hunt, "If they have to go to court, they have to go to court. They're determined."

Officials with the Metro Law Department, said they are "trying to work through the issue." They said they are hoping to figure out a way that the church's mission can be fulfilled, while protecting public health and safety at the same time.

There is a hearing scheduled November 9th.

PCB

#6 Sep 20, 2012
Homeless Veteran wrote:
I have attended this church.
One of the things this small church does is transport people to the church on wednesday nights,and feeds them after the service.
Im at a loss with why a few tents has drawn national attention.
I plan to request a meeting with the Tennesse Governor Bill Haslem and ask him to stop the city from violating this small churches Constitutional rights that I fought for.
-Homeless Veteran-
[email protected]

Dear Governor Haslam,

My name is "Homeless Veteran",In the near future I am considering changing my name to "No More Obama"
As a former U.S.Army Veteran,I write you today to invite you to attend church with me on a wednesday night at Green Street Church of Christ in Nashville.
I am not a member of the church, nor do I currently camp on their property.However I have attended and been helped by this very small church that is making a very big difference in our state.
With all the issues that face this great country of ours,I stand shocked that the city would waste tax dollars in an attempt to violate the constitutional rights of this small church.
Many Americans have served and and some died to defend those rights.There are thousands of homeless people in nashville.How in the world is this small church in the national news for allowing just a few a place to camp?
There are more than 200,000 veterans in prison in this country,300,000 Homeless,and 20 million out of work, and this small church is being taken to court over allowing a dozen tents on its property?
Im not asking you to step in,Im just asking you to attend,I believe that just by attending and seeing how well kept the camp is,the city will soften its stance.

Sincerly,-HomelessVeteran-
well

Paducah, KY

#7 Sep 23, 2012
so you have moved to nashville from paducah i see. Well all i have to say is if you would put more time and energy into looking for employment and less time on topix then you would not need to sleep on the lawn of the church.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans Hae Labor an Mddle Class 11 hr Trump or Sanders 5
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 17 hr Sylvester 2,496
Verlan Brock's documentary 18 hr know too well 1
Country Singer Brad Paisley is Jewish (Oct '13) Fri unclesamhain 25
question Thu Percy White 9
Turn signals Aug 26 sponge 7
Looking2015 Aug 26 Looking2015 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nashville Mortgages