Church of God of Prophecy rethinks position against divorce, re...

As some 10,000 members of the Church of God of Prophecy gather in Nashville this week, the denomination will revisit its position that divorced people who remarry are committing adultery. Full Story
crushednacar

United States

#777 Apr 16, 2013
people kill me. Take one verse to vomit there judgemental, apostolic viewpoint on the world. Jesus forgives the sin of divorce and remarriage but nowhere does he instruct us to sin again by divorce a second time. we need to apply all of the word not just the part that makes us feel better than...Jesus sayed ALL have sinned. Try reading all 48 of the verses that refer to forgiven sin. Is it any wonder so many are hearing Come out from among them when so many money worshipping christians are condeming everyone around them.
Porter

Cumming, GA

#780 Jun 4, 2013
Where does it say to give up? Justification for taking the easy way out is pretty typical.
Amy wrote:
I remained in a marriage for many years with a "minister" that could not stay faithful, claiming he was a "sex addict" and after many years of forgiving over and over again, simply staying for "the church" and "for the kids" and for my "COGOP parents", I finally had enough! We attempted christian counseling, but he would leave the sessions more angry that when he came in, thought of it as a finger-pointing session. So after the last affair (which was with another ministers wife) I'd had enough and left. I found that I did not fit in any longer in the COGOP because I was that "divorced" person and knew I could never be a member again if I chose to date or remarry. That was okay because the COGOP would never be my salvation and God knows my heart! I have recently married after 6 years of being single and know in my heart I will go to heaven. I do not need a denomination to tell me my fate....
Porter

Cumming, GA

#781 Jun 4, 2013
If you'll notice in this verse only the man is given the right to put away his wife for the cause of fornication.
Paul wrote:
God gave one out. If you have been cheated on God allows you to divorce the cheater and remarry. All that matters is what God says in scripture. No persons opinion matters. matthew 19:9 "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."
That could not be any clearer. If you are being physically abused then you have the obligation to take yourself out of that relationship because we are to be good stewards of what we are given, including our bodies and mind. You do not however have the right to remarry.
Mandlenkhosi Lucky Vilane

Mbabane, Swaziland

#782 Jan 15, 2014
This stand was the greatest sign that showed me that we were lost. I just quit and became more strong. I went to The Church of God then to The church of God of North Carolina. I have peace there with the old doctrine, yes the old paths. COGOP made me strong enough and I can easily identify when the church becomes a denomination. I saw those things in The church of God/ Smith division. Jesus said you will know them by their fruits.

God loves His flock and will lead them into one flock and one shepherd.
Fonda W

Thomasville, NC

#783 Jan 16, 2014
To the leadership of The Church please have the vulgar degrading words removed from these sites.
Fonda W

Fayetteville, NC

#784 Jan 27, 2014
I suppose restitution is thrown right out the window! By this I mean, if hardness of heart was the cause of divorce then shouldn't love be the motivating factor for returning to the first spouse that was put away?
Fonda W

Fayetteville, NC

#785 Jan 27, 2014
Scripture tells us restitution is required if at all possible! What greater action of love can be shown! Spouses should never be considered disposable?
Jim

Union Mills, NC

#786 Feb 10, 2014
&li st=UUvTcBwUeaaTTqkLAZzPq7xw &feature=c4-overview
Jennifer shumaker

Hartwell, GA

#787 Aug 7, 2014
If we change the word of God to suit us than we will not see his glory because if we start changing in one area than we will have to Change in another area. I use to do drug at one point of time in my life, will they soon find scruipture to make this right. Be careful about finding scruipture to suit your life style because God's word don't change according to how you choose live. Marriage is a covenant, not a contact. If we start agreeing with remarry, just don't do it, just live together. The bible tell us when we marry that there will be trouble, did we think that it was going to be easy. What make us think that the second marriage is going to be better, if we cannot make the first one work, what make us think that the second will. What if it don't word than what are we going to do! Try the third one, like I said just don't marry, just live together if all we want is a contact because a contact can be broken but a covenant is not to be broken it is a promise. The word tell us that there is going to be a great falling away and I do believe we are in that place, Lord have mercy on us.
Jennifer shumaker

Hartwell, GA

#788 Aug 7, 2014
Vernon Caruthers wrote:
It is so easy to be critical of those who have been married more than once. Those of us who have been blessed with faithful companions have no idea of the load someone carries when their spouse has been unfaithful. Jesus allowed divorce and remarriage when there was fornication involved. We have been given a ministry as the church to reach out to hurting people. I beleive God is merciful and forgiven. Remarriage is NOT THE UNPARDONABLE SIN. As a pastor in the Church of God of Prophecy I cannot feel comfortable in judging someone who says they are saved and they bear fruit that is evident of a saved life. I have members in my local church that have been in more than one marriage due to the fault of their spouse that left them for another woman or man, whichever the case may be. Jesus said that if we are guilty of one point of the law then we are guilty of the whole. I think we all should throw down our stones of judgment and walk away praying for these precious people who have been judged and hurt enough in the past! I belive this would be pleasing to Jesus
So how do you feel about been gay, do you feel that it is a sin. Read roman 7. We need not to make excuse for people because God with not be please. Yes we all come short but somewhere we suppose to come out, let not us the word to justify sin.
Jennifer shumaker

Hartwell, GA

#789 Aug 7, 2014
Lord, forgive me for comment on this page because the devil is using this page to keep the body of Christ divide. Help us to get back to you Lord because we truly need you in these last days. Lord you are the judge and for me and my house, I am going to stand on your word, you say rightly divide the word, Lord help me to get understand of your word because I need you Lord and I choose to live accord to your word, not my flesh live style. Lord people argue when they are confuse, I choose not to argue about your word because you made it plain because your word do not lie and you will not say something in one scruipture and something totally different in another. Help us to get understand because there is no way we can help the sinner if we can help each other. People this is no help to the world because the devil is using this get kill our witness about who God is. Shame on us to keep nailing Jesus to the cross.

Since: Jan 12

Hohenwald, TN

#790 Aug 7, 2014
Jennifer, your grammar is garbage. I think your brain has been fried from the drugs.
Jennifer shumaker

Hartwell, GA

#791 Aug 7, 2014
Fifth wrote:
Jennifer, your grammar is garbage. I think your brain has been fried from the drugs.
Thanks and may God bless you too.
Zebo

Martin, TN

#792 Aug 8, 2014
Let's see:

God is truth and all men are liars

God maketh the rain fall equally on both the heads of the good and the evil. The last time I checked, the good drowned in the rains of misfortune while the evil basked in the sunshine continually.

Since: Jan 12

Hohenwald, TN

#793 Aug 8, 2014
Oh damn. That's why It's been so sunny at my house lately.
1955 African gospel

Pretoria, South Africa

#794 Wednesday Sep 3
old time religion not the modified version no divorce in the church of God .Simple America is now a dark Continent .Africa arise and shine speaking preaching the truth no more ice- cream gospel .The highway to heaven the unclean shall not walk on that path
dormin

Nashville, TN

#795 Friday Sep 5
Satan is a liar! He searches for women on the Internet. Whispers "post pictures that only your husband should see" or "lean in, Holly T"
Michael

Charlotte, NC

#796 Wednesday Sep 10
First, the term Christian didnt exist until after Christ rose from the dead. As for the unholy quran, it is a book of satanic svribblings by a madman and should be used only as toilet paper r maybe in a pinch to light the wood stove with.
michael

Cowpens, SC

#797 Friday Sep 12
You heard me right Devil wrote:
<quoted text>Whats a sin?? divorce? What bible are you reading. If a woman or man cheats on their spouse, the Bible clearly states they can seperate. But that must remarry to keep from sinning. I wish you fanatical christians would stop twisting the bible. Being fanatical and thinking Your version of God is dangerous. Why do we as christians have so many denominations? what the hell is going on there? you keep rebuilding God with your new fancy names for your new churches. Why not One big denomination "Church who follows Christs teaching". Until that happens, Im never going back to church and having some guy tell me whats wrong with my life. Like our Minister cursing us and saying we were the devil for corrupting his son, when his son was the one who got me High for the first time. arogant azzhole. Even his wife left him. Oh my... He must be in hell now?
Would you be interested in helping form a new bible study group, i to am very disillusioned with these modern (churches)
michael

Cowpens, SC

#798 Friday Sep 12
crushednacar wrote:
people kill me. Take one verse to vomit there judgemental, apostolic viewpoint on the world. Jesus forgives the sin of divorce and remarriage but nowhere does he instruct us to sin again by divorce a second time. we need to apply all of the word not just the part that makes us feel better than...Jesus sayed ALL have sinned. Try reading all 48 of the verses that refer to forgiven sin. Is it any wonder so many are hearing Come out from among them when so many money worshipping christians are condeming everyone around them.
Amen, im trying to form a new bible study group for some of these same reasons

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chesney sparks romance rumors (Jan '13) 47 min lauren 39
Craig's list 8 hr Fatboy 9
nashville storage auctions 12 hr jimm green 1
18 yr old girl interested in men 13 hr Normal Guy 2
guess who qreer at 1029 the buzz 14 hr Chico 3
Women answere this Sat Daisybaby 20
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) Sat TheRealZeke 9,438
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) Sep 12 I agree 1,543
•••
•••
Nashville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Nashville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Nashville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Nashville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Nashville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••